Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

psydude posted:

Yeah wait we've had enough chat about divisive issues in the past few days.

What are y'all drinking? I just bought a bottle of Glenmorangie Port Cask.

The sherry cask is a little nicer IMO, but then you can get Aberlour A'bunadh.

The Sauternes is also interesting. But I'm really into Caribbean finishes lately (except the Angel's Envy, which is really meh, especially compared to Balvenie)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

NippleFloss posted:

I don't really care to start an argument about unions, but I do think some of the same people who think it's anti-worker bullshit that a company would try to set a rate based on things like years in the field and seniority would also support unionization that would lead to exactly that. Not a,clue judgment either way, just an observation.

I'm very jaded by the customers I work with. I've encountered more than my fair share of people who are about to rake in that sweet, sweet pension (it's typically some form of government, whether it be federal, state, or local) who refuse to use routing protocols, or virtualization, or intrusion detection systems, or VLANs, or whatever other technology has been widely accepted since the late 90s. These people are more prevalent than you would hope or think. Yeah, maybe you have steps in your particular pay grade to ensure that you aren't stuck with the same salary you started out with, but just having existed in the payroll system than your colleagues who do more than you shouldn't be a golden ticket.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

psydude posted:

After about 5 years (oh hey, the standard vestment period for most 401ks and most hardware lifecycles), organizational knowledge loses its usefulness. If someone is moving up, that's fine, but having the same person stagnating in that role is detrimental to the organization's growth.

Anyone care to elaborate on this point?

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Thanks to y'all tellin' me your current salaries I'm all like:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Dark Helmut posted:

Thanks to y'all tellin' me your current salaries I'm all like:

In my current job I am looking at relocating to Portland in about a year, and everyone keeps telling me that what I am making that is comfortable(and in line with what I should be making as a Linux System Administrator) in the DFW area is going to be me being poor as poo poo in Portland, but looking at the comparative numbers I am right between the 2 average pay scales for the 2 cities(there is like a 1.5k difference, based on a salary calculator someone posted earlier).

Should I demand they pay me an extra 10% when I move to account for the legalized marijuana budget? :homebrew:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

http://averybrewing.com/our-ales/uncle-jacobs/

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

The cask strength is a beautiful thing.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

psydude posted:

I just grabbed the closest thing I could find. I bought it for the fiancee a while ago, but it was the only thing in the house.

I don't even like vodka, but I don't really keep alcohol around the house for myself anymore.
I think I'm a better person for it.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Sep 18, 2015

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
Best peatyness to cost ratio I've found so far:

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

psydude posted:

I still have my bottle of Pappy 12 year. And some Jack. And Evan Williams. Depends on just how hosed up I want to get that particular night.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

RFC2324 posted:

In my current job I am looking at relocating to Portland in about a year, and everyone keeps telling me that what I am making that is comfortable(and in line with what I should be making as a Linux System Administrator) in the DFW area is going to be me being poor as poo poo in Portland, but looking at the comparative numbers I am right between the 2 average pay scales for the 2 cities(there is like a 1.5k difference, based on a salary calculator someone posted earlier).

Should I demand they pay me an extra 10% when I move to account for the legalized marijuana budget? :homebrew:

I would look at every cost of living calculator known to man and grab a few that have the biggest gap. The biggest single factor is generally housing, so that's what I'd focus on if I were building a case for a raise. Is moving to Portland YOUR goal, or is it just something your company wants you to do? That might shape how hard I push for a cost of living adjustment.

Also: Tito's rules...

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Portland is in the middle of a major housing crunch too so expect to have a hard time finding a place unless you're making poo poo tons of money,

Time for another classic derail. How much PTO do you all get? I'm making more than I ever have before at my current job but only get 2 weeks of vacation and unlimited sick days (that is being sick, or out for a doctors appointment doesnt count towards PTO). The last job I had gave me 4 weeks right out of the gate and the job before that I got close to 2 months. I'm only going to be at this gig long enough to collect my yearly bonus and then want to start looking again for another job with more PTO. I would take a $5k paycut just to get another two weeks of PTO.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
4 weeks of untracked pto, unlimited sick days, wfh whenever

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

seconding the quality and value of Tito's.

Working in IT 3.0: Actually, it's about ethics in salary negotiation

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Like drinking a loving campfire. That you threw peat moss on.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Never become an IT project manager. What was I thinking?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
It turns out having more than a couple of drinks in a week causes every muscle and joint in my body to become inflamed for about 14 days so you can mostly keep it

I have been enjoying this a lot though:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Internet Explorer posted:

Well yeah, that's the point.

(Lagavulin 16 is better imo, but Laphroaig is cheaper so it evens out.)

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I'll be drinking this tonight.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

I know. Incredible, right?

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

I'll check Lagavulin 16 out. Ever try Laphroaig Quarter Cask? I don't think it's much better than 10, but other people claim it is.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

captkirk posted:

I'll be drinking this tonight.

I feel like this will produce an incredible vomit stream. Please use a video camera with a high frame rate.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Tis the season for Octoberfest

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Barracuda Bang! posted:

I know. Incredible, right?

It's kind of one note, but there are some really interesting peated (and mesquite smoked) American whiskeys showing up.

For scotch talk, I'm personally of the opinion that Oban (and especially Oban Little Bay) strikes a perfect balance.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Portland is in the middle of a major housing crunch too so expect to have a hard time finding a place unless you're making poo poo tons of money,
That's what happens when a bunch of 25 year olds want to move there without having work lined up, I guess. On the upside, other stuff in Portland isn't expensive. Just housing.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Time for another classic derail. How much PTO do you all get? I'm making more than I ever have before at my current job but only get 2 weeks of vacation and unlimited sick days (that is being sick, or out for a doctors appointment doesnt count towards PTO). The last job I had gave me 4 weeks right out of the gate and the job before that I got close to 2 months. I'm only going to be at this gig long enough to collect my yearly bonus and then want to start looking again for another job with more PTO. I would take a $5k paycut just to get another two weeks of PTO.
6 weeks currently. It's hard to even take it all, to be honest. Even though my manager is really supportive and approves whatever, we run small teams (and I work on multiple products, so there's concurrent timelines/deadlines), and I generally end up taking 2 weeks off a couple of times a year to travel.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Dark Helmut posted:

I feel like this will produce an incredible vomit stream. Please use a video camera with a high frame rate.

Why's that? It's been a while since I've had Gulden Draak, but I recall it being pretty delicious.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
I'm a lover of all things beer, darker and heavier the better, so I'm sure it's good. Just looks like a bottle of milk...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Barracuda Bang! posted:

This was my go-to for a long time. It's fantastically peat-y.

If you want the best bang for your buck though...

It's dirt cheap (for proper blended scotch) and will wreck your poo poo.
It's like the Jameson of scotch.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Anyone care to elaborate on this point?

Seniority doesn't necessarily mean you're the best or most knowledgeable employee in the department. The department I work in for example, I have been year for almost 2 years, and am working with people that have been here for 5-8 years. I'd have to say at this point I'm already at their level if not higher, in terms of troubleshooting and just general knowledge of the products. I've had to take over work from my co-workers because they just didn't have the skillset to do it. But now, do they deserve a "senior" position just because they've been here for a longer period of time? I think it all depends on expectations. I've noticed many departments will have their rockstars and their button-pushers. If my co-worker just comes into work and does the bare minimum, does he deserve equal pay as someone who goes above and beyond and does a lot more to help the department grow? If somebody wants to go up the ladder and get promoted, that should be encouraged. If someone just wants to come in and take care of the grunt work, that should be fine too. I have plenty of co-workers who do have no desire to get promoted and are just happy being settled down doing what they do, and I have no problem assigning grunt work to them so I can focus more on big projects/other things I'm interested in.

It's really up to management to get a holistic view of their departments, seeing what their employees want in the long-term, and designing a career path that fits. Otherwise you'll end up with a revolving door and the top talent will be the first to go.

Weaponized Autism fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 18, 2015

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This was my go-to for a long time. It's fantastically peat-y.

Ardbeg and Bowmore also offer good Isay scotch at reasonable prices.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

evol262 posted:

It's kind of one note, but there are some really interesting peated (and mesquite smoked) American whiskeys showing up.

I'm gonna need a brand or something.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm gonna need a brand or something.

Westland is probably the peated whiskey that's easiest to find, but it's across the country from you. K&L has it, though, and they have distributors in NY.

Del Bac and Colkegan are both mesquite. Colkegan is a little better, and Del Bac is barely available outside of NM/AZ as far as I know, but somebody probably ships it.

But everything by Lost Spirits is fantastic, including their rums. But especially the whiskeys. And they're not expensive. I have no idea what their distribution is like in NY, but again, K&L comes to the rescue. K&L's search sucks, though, so just trawl google. They might be the best distillery in the US.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

RFC2324 posted:

In my current job I am looking at relocating to Portland in about a year, and everyone keeps telling me that what I am making that is comfortable(and in line with what I should be making as a Linux System Administrator) in the DFW area is going to be me being poor as poo poo in Portland

Housing prices in Portland have skyrocketed recently and the calculators likely do not take that into account. Look at ads for rentals on Craigslist to get an idea. I've been in Portland for about seven years now, after moving from Louisiana, so if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Time for another classic derail. How much PTO do you all get?

Officially unlimited, though obviously there are limiting factors at work like wanting to stay billable for a large enough percentage of time to in a quarter get my bonus. I'll probably end up taking about six weeks most years.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tailored Sauce posted:

Seniority doesn't necessarily mean you're the best or most knowledgeable employee in the department. The department I work in for example, I have been year for almost 2 years, and am working with people that have been here for 5-8 years. I'd have to say at this point I'm already at their level if not higher, in terms of troubleshooting and just general knowledge of the products. I've had to take over work from my co-workers because they just didn't have the skillset to do it. But now, do they deserve a "senior" position just because they've been here for a longer period of time? I think it all depends on expectations. I've noticed many departments will have their rockstars and their button-pushers. If my co-worker just comes into work and does the bare minimum, does he deserve equal pay as someone who goes above and beyond and does a lot more to help the department grow? If somebody wants to go up the ladder and get promoted, that should be encouraged. If someone just wants to come in and take care of the grunt work, that should be fine too. I have plenty of co-workers who do have no desire to get promoted and are just happy being settled down doing what they do, and I have no problem assigning grunt work to them so I can focus more on big projects/other things I'm interested in.

It's really up to management to get a holistic view of their departments, seeing what their employees want in the long-term, and designing a career path that fits. Otherwise you'll end up with a revolving door and the top talent will be the first to go.

Oh, I was more referring to the statement that organizational knowledge's usefulness window is about five years. But that's for what you said too, that's good for the thread to hear too.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

psydude posted:

I'm a rum drinker. This poo poo has been my favorite for the last couple years. It runs about $60-80 per bottle depending on sales.

Diplomatica Exclusiva Reserva

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

BaseballPCHiker posted:

How much PTO do you all get?

4 weeks now, 6 weeks after 7 years at the company. 15 sick days, pto banked at 1.5x.

Also, craft beer > all your garbage liquors

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CLAM DOWN posted:

Speaking of, has anybody tried that new Jameson that is aged in stout barrels? It sounds interesting.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

I can't stand either. My wife ordered both, one right after the other and I almost died watching her try to finish them. I'm more of a McCallan guy. I do really like Oban as well. Also Cardu is great, if you can find it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

If anyone has patience for a wall-o-text and wants to help a newer sysadmin... please read on :)

We just ran into an issue in our environment that we're slightly stumped on, and have some ideas, but I'd like to throw it out here to see if more experienced goons can offer some suggestions.

A little background on our environment: We have 2200ish remote servers spread across the US, they run 2012 R2 and within hyper-V they host a single 2003 guest. We had 2 datacenters with 2 DCs each, we just opened up 2 new datacenters with 6 DCs, 2 physical and 4 VMs. We added the first set of 3 DCs a week or 2 ago, and we just added the second set of 3 DCs on Monday night.

Our issue is this, since tuesday morning we've had issues with a small amount of servers (5-10), with seemingly nothing in common other than this issue (and the fact that configuration of all those servers is standardized), get stuck booting each day. When you view the guest through hyper-v it's sitting at "applying computer settings". We have had some repeat offenders, but some brand new ones each day. Only 1 server has had the issue persist tuesday through today. This issue results in both local and domain logons not working (because the server is stuck) and our workaround is to disable the NIC via hyper-V, bounce the machine, and re-enable the NIC once the server boots; at this point local logons work and domain logons generally do not work, or less often will take an hour or more to actually login. We also have some 2012 R2 guests in our QA environment and we have the same problem with them, so it's not specific to 2003. Obviously, something happened when we threw up the last set of DCs, but since we are decomming the original 2 datacenters ASAP (once this issue is resolved) we are hoping to fix this rather than slash and burn, also change management stuff sucks.

Prior to last night AD sites and services has 5 sites, our 4 datacenters which each hold their respective DCs+subnets and then our 5th site is the 2200 remote machines and their respective subnets. After research we realzied this was causing the site with 3 DCs and first in the alphabet to take the brunt of the work, so we moved 1 DC from each datacenter site into our remote server site, hoping that would fix the problem, but it didn't. What that did fix is it offloaded the LDAP/Kerberos authentications to all 4 datacenters (1 DC from each) and now they're doing round robbin instead of hammering the single datacenter. All sites are linked properly etc.

It doesn't (seem) to be an issue with DNS, dcdiag comes up clean on our top level DCs. We've just enabled verbose netlogon logging and verbose userserv logging. Everything I'm seeing is that this is either DNS or GP related due to our symptoms, but I would expect our incidents to be much greater than a handful a day. I do see errors processing group policy on our guest VMs sometimes and sometimes they have issues seeing the domain all together, but not all of the problem servers have the errors. What else should I be looking at to rule out or point the finger at DNS/GP, and what else can I log/etc to narrow the problem down? Part of the issue is that I can't just wildly reboot during the day and can't make changes etc without approval.

Holy gently caress :words: thanks in advance for anyone that takes the time to read this.

*edit* also don't bash us for having 2003, we're in the process of converting to 2012 R2 on our guest images too, these new datacenters are the first piece of the puzzle.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 18, 2015

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

CLAM DOWN posted:

Why not both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/microsoft-showcases-the-azure-cloud-switch-acs/

Q: What is Microsoft Azure Cloud Switch?

A: The Azure Cloud Switch (ACS) is our foray into building our own software for running network devices like switches. It is a cross-platform modular operating system for data center networking built on Linux.