Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Prices were cheap this morning, so got my fix of 99 octane V-Power for just shy of USD6 per US gallon as well.

I've suppressed the memory, but I'm pretty sure I've paid over 7.50, maybe even 8 in the past.

Although the majority of the tax portion of the price is fixed, so when the price of crude triples, it only results in a modest price increase here. A kinda backwards way of finding an upside to heavily taxed fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

V-Power is like the biggest :flaccid: out there, unless you drive something with aggressive turbocharging or super high compression.

</buzzkill>

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

1250kms on the bike in just 20 days. I'm going to see a massage therapist. I am not looking forward to this at all it is gonna hurt
If you don't have one buy/make a foam roller. PVC pipe works pretty good if you put some tape on it. Lacrosse ball is also nice to have for tough spots. I was always sore after lifting, adding in foam rolling before or after made things a lot better.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

So I skipped some 400 posts. Y'all move too fast but I will say that Utah is the prettiest state so suck on that. With regard to gas chat I swear I've been paying just under $3 for premium from chevron for months. I haven't seen it get near two bucks in like a year.
Utah is pretty drat nice, what area were you in? I get sent out there a couple times a year and always enjoy it.

fjelltorsk posted:

I paid 6 bucks for a gallon of diesel today. and you guys wonder why i drive a EV...
drat with those prices an EV makes even more sense. I was looking into them but then I realized how little money I spend on diesel a month and how long it would take to come even close to breaking even. Just wasn't worth it at the moment, when the VW finally dies I'll be looking at EV's to replace it.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

BigFuzzyJesus posted:

Jeep clubs or at least the ones in Iowa are a lot like what I imagine corvette clubs to be like.

For the most part, the car scene in Iowa is miserable and useless. Where you located?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

A few years ago diesel prices hit the high 1.90's a litre in Australia, that made for some very, very expensive fills.

Tho I paid $2.45 a litre in Mount Dare Station in July last year.

Thats only $11/Gallon...

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

V-Power is like the biggest :flaccid: out there, unless you drive something with aggressive turbocharging or super high compression.

</buzzkill>

Agreed, but my engine gets noticeably fewer spurious misfires at idle with it than without. Google "118i ruckeln" for all the fun info. I haven't been able to find a solution, but I'd love to hear about one.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

angryhampster posted:

For the most part, the car scene in Iowa is miserable and useless. Where you located?

He's in Ames. The car scene is still miserable and useless, but at least there are some cool people in Des Moines. Still, off-road stuff I'm sure is awful.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

KozmoNaut posted:

</buzzkill>

B bb b b but its the only gas BMW recommends anymore!

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

bolind posted:

Agreed, but my engine gets noticeably fewer spurious misfires at idle with it than without. Google "118i ruckeln" for all the fun info. I haven't been able to find a solution, but I'd love to hear about one.

I was kind of surprised at reading all on that, as V-Power in the USA is just the equivalent of high-test, with the same octane ratings as any other brand's "premium" offering. IIRC it was tested independently to have more cleaners in the mix than any other brand.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i paid $2.45 last week for premium and now it's over $3 :gonk:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bolind posted:

That's a weird issue, I would suspect the coil pack or something, but obviously you've already thought of that.

I have a similar "issue" with my 406, it's kinda shaky at idle, sometimes very much so, but only when cold. No codes or anything obviously abnormal going on, and it's completely unrelated to fuel grade. When it's completely warmed up, it idles smooth as butter, I can't even feel it through the steering wheel.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
...poo poo, and I was excited to only pay 2.70 for Vpower earlier this week.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

That's a weird issue, I would suspect the coil pack or something, but obviously you've already thought of that.

Oh, I have tried all three(!) revisions of the CoPs for this engine to no avail.

I personally think it's the injection patterns that are tuned to run extra lean at idle for fuel economy reasons. I would think that due to wear of some component, there wasn't enough margin designed into the setup, and hence...

It's worst in summer, weirdly enough.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Does anybody remember that Finnish mechanic simulator that was in development? I couldn't figure out what to google to find it. I was curious how it's doing.

edit: oh wait I found it with Bing. It's called "My Summer Car"

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

bolind posted:

Oh, I have tried all three(!) revisions of the CoPs for this engine to no avail.

I personally think it's the injection patterns that are tuned to run extra lean at idle for fuel economy reasons. I would think that due to wear of some component, there wasn't enough margin designed into the setup, and hence...

It's worst in summer, weirdly enough.

Yeah, all (recent) BMW engines hate low octane and ethanol equally. I get the same mileage out of ethanol free 91 as I do on 93 with ethanol.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
You guys actually pay attention to gas prices? I just remember the 2-3 places that it's cheapest at and give no fucks what the price is.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

angryhampster posted:

Midwest AI - where a 3 hour drive is considered close.

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus

Lightbulb Out posted:

He's in Ames. The car scene is still miserable and useless, but at least there are some cool people in Des Moines. Still, off-road stuff I'm sure is awful.

This. I mean they were nice enough, but when your showing off your patriot on dick cepeks are you really a "jeep guy"? I guess I just don't get it. Whatever I just wanted to volunteer so I could get free admission to their terrain track or whatever you want to call it. All off-road land in Iowa is private so it has been advantageous to follow what they're doing so I can go to events but I've yet to join any after meeting 3 separate groups this last one being the biggest.

Also I said in ferremits hilux thread I would post my 22re dyno sheet if I could find it but I don't really want to poo poo it up so here it is (from 2011): when it made 87hp and did 18.9@66.8 mph (why the graph is dumb, it was a 1/4 sprint)

e:spelling

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

BraveUlysses posted:

You guys actually pay attention to gas prices? I just remember the 2-3 places that it's cheapest at and give no fucks what the price is.

There are a few people here where it is useful (see: STR being a pizza driver), but burning calories over regional gas prices? Eh, who cares.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

Phone posted:

There are a few people here where it is useful (see: STR being a pizza driver), but burning calories over regional gas prices? Eh, who cares.

I dont really pay attention, but i hadent filled a tank since i got the tesla. so i sorta noticed the raping...

on the other hand, we used 25l of diesel to start a controlled burn on a condemned hut today to get the new rookies some flashover experiance. poo poo was awsome...

one of our probies is also close to the limits for mistakes you can do without getting told to not show up..

this time he was unable to cut pieces of his crewmembers tho, unlike last weeks extraction drill

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

I pass a lot of gas stations on my way home.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
http://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPriceMap

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

mariooncrack posted:

I pass a lot of gas on my way home.

This is how I read this initially. Thought you should know

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
420 fit tracker modules erryday

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

KozmoNaut posted:

</buzzkill>

V power is pretty bad but there's one canadian gas station that advertises that they have "winter gas" as if its something they thought up and hasn't been in effect for years.

I do use shell though since supposedly they're the only place around here that doesn't put ethanol in their premium and I'm a bit :tinfoil: about my 30 year old fuel system being dry rotted out by it. They supply a local grocery chain's stations though so I just though there.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

BraveUlysses posted:

I just go to the one closest to my house because it's so convenient to just whip in and fill up and then get right back on the road I need to be on. Also it's a Shell so I'm fine with that. I hate convoluted gas station entrances or exits where you can only get in or out one way and it's like a left turn with a long light and all that crap.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Phone posted:

I use the gasbuddy app on my phone, it's literally touch the screen twice to get to my favorites list (about 10 stations either close to home/work or along my daily commute route) and scroll to see who's cheapest. Really not that much effort.

e: right now there's a $.30/gallon spread on my favorites list. Definitely worth 10 seconds of loving around on my phone to save $3-5 on a full tank.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 18, 2015

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Bajaha posted:

This is how I read this initially. Thought you should know

Well... I can't confirm or deny that one.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Lol @ vw

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I live 1 block over from a Shell and they do a rewards program with the grocery store I go to so I go there 95% of the time.

My PM's WRX is tuned for 93 only and there are no gas stations up here i NH where we are working. He had to drive 45 minutes in the other direction on his way home to fill up last week.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

NitroSpazzz posted:

Utah is pretty drat nice, what area were you in? I get sent out there a couple times a year and always enjoy it.

Right at the south end of the Salt Lake valley, about 15-20 miles from downtown Salt Lake. I wake up every morning and look at the awesome Wasatch Mountains.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
so bored at work, is there an ai irc channel?

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Not the first time Germans tried to suffocate people http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/19/business/volkswagen-is-ordered-to-recall-nearly-500000-vehicles-over-emissions-software.html?ref=business

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The co-worker who'd been (anxiously) waiting while it sat for three weeks at the port in San Diego finally got her GT4 delivered. Haven't talked to her about it yet though.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

fjelltorsk posted:

Synirc. There's an #ai and #newenglandai

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
#newenglandai is where it's at, IMO.

quote:

14:05 <@NoiseLaptop> power steering went quiet in the bronco
14:05 <@NoiseLaptop> it took two quarts lol
14:05 <@NoiseLaptop> now its back to howling away
14:06 <@ssswitch> yeah i was getting worried for a second there
14:06 <@ssswitch> a ford with a quiet power steering system?
14:06 <@ssswitch> stephen king steps out of the bushes.
14:06 <@ssswitch> "yes indeed," he says, "welcome to new england."
14:06 <@ssswitch> i claw at his face in terror, drawing blood and digging down to the
skull
14:07 <@ssswitch> "BRING ME BACK MY SCREAMING POWER STEERING PUMP," I yell into his
dissolving body

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

fjelltorsk posted:

#ai on...I think its synirc.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

fjelltorsk posted:

You can also have a go at the Sheep Game! Just a day left to get your answers in, everybody...the deadline is 11pm Pacific Time on Saturday!

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

MrChips posted:

You can also have a go at the Sheep Game! Just a day left to get your answers in, everybody...the deadline is 11pm Pacific Time on Saturday!

I'll get my answers in before the deadline! The last few were a blast, thanks again MrChips!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Right at the south end of the Salt Lake valley, about 15-20 miles from downtown Salt Lake. I wake up every morning and look at the awesome Wasatch Mountains.

Think the hotel I usually stay it is in the background of that shot. Beautiful place and the snowboarding this spring was pretty excellent despite the low snow fall. Seriously considered a position out there a few times.

• Locked thread