Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ilkhan posted:

I'm out in the suburbs of sac.
But I'm boring, so I like it here.

See, something for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

I do, and don't go there anywhere near enough.

I actually got in last night! Might be up for a yard run anytime between now and Sunday, not sure what day works best or when I am busy yet.

Cool! I don't think I have anything going on Saturday, so that would probably work for me. Unless I hit the lottery and a six speed shows up out there tomorrow, I can't think of anything specific I need. My local yard's inventory is here: http://www.apcity.com/inventory/. That's the same yard that you hit when you brought the Justy through. 8 XJs, 1 MJ, half a dozen Foresters, and enough WJs to invade a small European country. Feel free to shoot me a PM.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

meatpimp posted:

The Winters make that statement untrue (except for NE Ohio, and gently caress that place). Surprisingly, once you get away from the lake(s), it becomes a lot more temperate.

Yeah, that is true, Cincinnati has great weather, and it wasn't nearly as humid at cedar pointe a few weeks ago as it normally is in michigan.

and yeah our winters are categorically worse :(

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Tommychu posted:

I've met people that don't acknowledge the mk1's existence or lump it together with the mk2 because they look pretty similar (at least in comparison to the mk3)

Wow. Even the Mk1, while technically a Celica, is significantly different forward of the doors (it's stretched to fit the 6, for anyone who doesn't know.)

Enourmo posted:

So the shop called back about my car, apparently pcm isn't getting signal from the maf even with a good part in place

And now I think I'm an idiot because I have an air/fuel controller installed which intercepts and modifies the MAF signal, and I'll bet money that one of those connectors worked loose (they're the clamp-on spade type that cut through the insulation, which came with it; blame the idiot PO past me that installed them). I'll pick the car up tonight and poke around at it tomorrow, if that's what it ends up being... :negative:

Oh, God, those things are the bane of all auto electronics installers' existence. They're temporary, whether you want them to be or not.

meatpimp posted:

I left my wallet in El Segundo.

I rather liked El Segundo and environs. I dunno if I lucked into 2 weeks of awesome weather, or f it's like that all the time, but it was nice, compared to TX this time of year.

nm posted:

We'll keep enjoying our rust free 40 year old cars.

Same here.

Stuck at work after hours because I started PC replacement - and the mother fucker has over 100 GB of little tiny files (developer dweeb) that are going to take hours to copy, even though I've go both dives internal on thew (3 GB) SATA, and the destination drive is an SSD. The other one has almost as many files.
FML. I haven't gotten out before 7 PM all week...

e: at least I have access to my computer from here. Time to catch up on the forums...

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 18, 2015

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Geeze, this poo poo with an Irving, TX high school having a kid, who just happens to be Islamic, arrested because he brought a DIY digital clock to school, is making me embarrassed to be a Texan. Everybody, from the teacher, to the Principal, to the cops, played this the stupidest, most Islamophobic way possible. Holy gently caress, what a poo poo-storm.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Were you not ashamed of being from texas already? At least you aren't Florida Man, I guess.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

gently caress this week in particular. Not gonna make a super long e/n post or anything, just... ugh. Dad's in the hospital about to undergo surgery, I told my job to get hosed because I'm done dealing with an infrastructure that's crumbling around me and only being able to slap bandaids on what are essentially gaping loving holes in the system... Christ.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Darchangel posted:

Geeze, this poo poo with an Irving, TX high school having a kid, who just happens to be Islamic, arrested because he brought a DIY digital clock to school, is making me embarrassed to be a Texan. Everybody, from the teacher, to the Principal, to the cops, played this the stupidest, most Islamophobic way possible. Holy gently caress, what a poo poo-storm.

How long have you been living there? If its more than a month you really shouldn't be surprised.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i think the only people surprised are Texans.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Raluek posted:

Were you not ashamed of being from texas already? At least you aren't Florida Man, I guess.

Or Indiana, apparently.
There's a lot I like about the state, honestly. Seems like every place has something that makes it poo poo - you just have to choose what you can tolerate. At this point, I'm thinking I'd like somewhere with first-world health care, decent roads, and a good education system. Unfortunately, looks like that's not going to be the USA. Canada's too cold and rusty, the UK is rusty and has some truly restrictive auto laws, and I don't speak anything other than English. Oz, maybe, but they've got a lot of the UK's attitude on cars vis-a-vis modifications, and probably won't let me stay anyway...

Geoj posted:

How long have you been living there? If its more than a month you really shouldn't be surprised.

Somehow, I have a seemingly bottomless capability to be surprised at how truly stupid people can be. It's like a sort of weird eternal optimism, where I keep thinking maybe this time they won't be complete morons, or batshit insane, but nope, and I'm somehow surprised again. I know I shouldn't be. After 46 years, you'd think it would have been beaten out of me, but nope.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

gently caress it. I just decided to clone these fuckers' hard drives rather than let Windows dawdle about copying. They just wanted to move to an SSD anyway - there was nothing wrong with their machines. I'll just rename them to the new PC ID after the fact. Ghost says two hours, which is faster than the 3 hours Windows was estimating for just a part of the data.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Darchangel posted:

It's like a sort of weird eternal optimism, where I keep thinking maybe this time they won't be complete morons, or batshit insane, but nope, and I'm somehow surprised again.

I just figured they were taking the day off from executing the mentally handicapped and/or people convicted on highly questionable evidence and needed to blow off some steam by playing CIA black site with a brown kid.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Super Aggro Crag posted:

At a vape lounge playing Cruising World... Life good.

They have lounges dedicated to people to sucking on robot cocks?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Welp, off the wagon again and it feels loving great. I love wine so much. Wine and dubstep make a boring gently caress's life great. Looks like my talents with coordinate measurement machines, precision metrology, inspection, computer programming, and electron beam welding mean that the merger of two sister companies keeps me employed. It also means that about 45 people are going to lose their jobs :sigh: It also means my commute will quadruple to 22 miles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNE7oquWKFQ

e: for those of you nationwide that love cheap gas, Houston is seriously falling on it's face hard right now. The manufacturing sector is getting hammered so hard for this. We only just started paying off debts from the last downturn :(

e2: I would like a goon friend in Houston

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 18, 2015

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BraveUlysses posted:

Most vape shops have a lounge inside.

I vape, but that whole scene inside those shops is full of insufferable cunts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One of my closest friends is about to go through a personal hell. His girlfriend works with mine and she let it slip that she's pretty much checked out of their relationship. She's just been putting on a happy facade and acting like business as usual because she wasn't sure what she wanted. My friend has a kid from a previous marriage and I guess the pressures of pretty much raising someone else's kid have gotten to her among other things.

This sucks, they have their problems but he 100% loves her and was going to propose after they went through couples therapy. This is gonna be rough.

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus
Jeep clubs or at least the ones in Iowa are a lot like what I imagine corvette clubs to be like.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

BigFuzzyJesus posted:

Jeep clubs or at least the ones in Iowa are a lot like what I imagine corvette clubs to be like.

Full of old dudes?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

Honestly, I was surprised it made national news instead of just local. I'm probably too used to the xenophobia here. :sigh:

BloodBag posted:

e: for those of you nationwide that love cheap gas, Houston is seriously falling on it's face hard right now. The manufacturing sector is getting hammered so hard for this. We only just started paying off debts from the last downturn :(

Spotted this a bit outside of Dallas the other day (in Wylie) :stare:

iwentdoodie posted:

I don't vape (well, I vape :420:, but that's a different kind of vaping), but there are several vape shops in my delivery area; two of them order pretty often.

I usually walk out of them smelling like mint or gum or something, but holy poo poo that crap fucks with my allergies so loving bad, especially my eyes.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

some texas redneck posted:

Spotted this a bit outside of Dallas the other day (in Wylie) :stare:

And yet here we are in Alberta (basically, Texas North) and our gas prices just went up 16 cents per litre because gently caress you that's why. I can't wait to see what excuse the Oil Industry Speak 'n' Say comes up with this time.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Rhyno posted:

One of my closest friends is about to go through a personal hell. His girlfriend works with mine and she let it slip that she's pretty much checked out of their relationship. She's just been putting on a happy facade and acting like business as usual because she wasn't sure what she wanted. My friend has a kid from a previous marriage and I guess the pressures of pretty much raising someone else's kid have gotten to her among other things.

This sucks, they have their problems but he 100% loves her and was going to propose after they went through couples therapy. This is gonna be rough.

I feel like you should probably have a conversation with him. At least so it's not totally sprung on him.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

Same, mega agreedo

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

MrChips posted:

And yet here we are in Alberta (basically, Texas North) and our gas prices just went up 16 cents per litre because gently caress you that's why. I can't wait to see what excuse the Oil Industry Speak 'n' Say comes up with this time.

Well those union pipleline assholes decided to strike and upstream means higher prices and well gently caress you because money :bahgawd: gently caress oil up the rear end with their own wireline tools.

I like how all my food got expensive in the grocery store when oil went up because it costs to transport. Now that oil is worth a squirt of piss my beef still costs $4.70 a pound for loving 80/20 (queue euro goons crying about $120/kg beef)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I feel like you should probably have a conversation with him. At least so it's not totally sprung on him.

I was in a very similar position with a friend a few years ago. I told him, he was glad but as he got the news from me it drove a wedge into our friendship. We're still friends but not close, we almost never hang out. I just want to pretend like I know nothing and just be there as a shoulder when he needs me.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I was in a very similar position with a friend a few years ago. I told him, he was glad but as he got the news from me it drove a wedge into our friendship. We're still friends but not close, we almost never hang out. I just want to pretend like I know nothing and just be there as a shoulder when he needs me.

That's your best bet, don't get involved causing a shitstorm earlier than it would have because then you're the rear end in a top hat right in the middle of it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

That's your best bet, don't get involved causing a shitstorm earlier than it would have because then you're the rear end in a top hat right in the middle of it.

There's also the possibility that she might just be depressed and not actually looking to break up with him so I don't want to be the rear end in a top hat who spread false info.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

MrChips posted:

Same here (Ohio,) the station close to my job hit a low of $1.91/gallon ($1.88 after swiping your loyalty card) early last week, then prices shot up $.30/gallon, dropped back about $.10 and then surged ahead again today to $2.40.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Geoj posted:

Same here (Ohio,) the station close to my job hit a low of $1.91/gallon ($1.88 after swiping your loyalty card) early last week, then prices shot up $.30/gallon, dropped back about $.10 and then surged ahead again today to $2.40.

Same thing here but we only got to $1.91 yesterday and now up to $2.39 today. Last month when the price plummeted there was the refinery that suddenly had a problem preventing prices in the region from dropping. Very convenient right?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

So I skipped some 400 posts. Y'all move too fast but I will say that Utah is the prettiest state so suck on that. With regard to gas chat I swear I've been paying just under $3 for premium from chevron for months. I haven't seen it get near two bucks in like a year.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

So I skipped some 400 posts. Y'all move too fast but I will say that Utah is the prettiest state so suck on that. With regard to gas chat I swear I've been paying just under $3 for premium from chevron for months. I haven't seen it get near two bucks in like a year.

It's been up and down all year but the last few weeks it's supposed to have been dropping according to averages. It was $1.89 in Defiance Ohio last week when I drove through. Still $2.19 here though (an hour east).

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Full of old dudes?

That and young guys jerking the old guys and themselves off over new soft tops and hilift mounts, sperging about bolt on long arm kits for jeepcred. Bitching about club members 2/3rds of the time etc. Kinda what I expected I guess but still just weird, one guy "has a bronco that will be done some day" and was following another full grown man around like a puppy asking what to do... weird poo poo man.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrChips posted:

Shell stations seem to be the first and the worst to jump.

I wish people were disciplined enough for a boycott. The suppliers work together a lot better than the people do.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I was looking around to see if there was a Miata club in Cleveland. I found one but I assumed it was all old people because they have a page on their site for surfing the web safely.

https://northcoast-miata.com/webtips/

Gas chat: Depending on where you go, I saw anywhere from ~$2 to $2.30 here in Cleveland on my way home

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Rhyno posted:

Same thing here but we only got to $1.91 yesterday and now up to $2.39 today. Last month when the price plummeted there was the refinery that suddenly had a problem preventing prices in the region from dropping. Very convenient right?

Irony: the highest average price of gas in the state right now, according to local talk radio anyway :corsair:is in my hometown (El Paso TX).

.... there's a large refinery there (right by to what used to be an amusement park, go figure). You'd think that prices would be lower because of the local refinery (and thus, lower cost of transport), but nope. Gas prices tend to be higher there than most other places in the state.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

MrChips posted:

I think our gas went down in BC today.

(now you know what it feels like to be the rest of Canada.)

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

some texas redneck posted:

Honestly, I was surprised it made national news instead of just local. I'm probably too used to the xenophobia here. :sigh:

Dude, it made the nightly news in AUSTRALIA, and we're world famous for locking brown people up on rapey assaulty monster island and pretending they dont exist!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

So I skipped some 400 posts. Y'all move too fast

I seem to always time it so that a conversation I want to chime in on happens just after I close this thread, so next time I open it that conversation is 4 pages ago and it's too late to participate.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
I paid 6 bucks for a gallon of diesel today. and you guys wonder why i drive a EV...

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

BraveUlysses posted:

First one I ever saw. It's right next to a college so it makes sense to me. The dude I work with quit smoking cigs a few weeks ago so we stopped by after dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

fjelltorsk posted:

I paid 6 bucks for a gallon of diesel today. and you guys wonder why i drive a EV...

I dont even want to guess what currency you converted that into, but its only $1.33 a litre, which is about what we pay for diesel down under on average. Tho with the tanked aus dollar its closer to 96c/L if you use US$...

Ive gotta buy fuel tomorrow, my sub tank is empty and theres less than a quarter of the main tank. Combined capacity is 217L :gonk:

• Locked thread