Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Why is this in the OP, very strongly implying that this guy is on board with neoreaction when ten seconds of Googling tells you he very explicitly rejects it? It seems extraordinarily dishonest and unkind.

As far as unkindness goes, please look up Roko's Basilisk. Yud is explicitly working towards inflicting this on us. He claims otherwise, of course. His rejection of DE thought is worthless since his preferred reality leads to the same results with regards to democracy and the ability of an individual to choose their own destiny.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Peztopiary posted:

As far as unkindness goes, please look up Roko's Basilisk. Yud is explicitly working towards inflicting this on us. He claims otherwise, of course. His rejection of DE thought is worthless since his preferred reality leads to the same results with regards to democracy and the ability of an individual to choose their own destiny.

It's been a while since I gave a poo poo precisely what flavour of spectacularly unlikely god-box the MIRI people so adorably think they're working to bring about, but my understanding is that the goal has always been a human self-actualisation maximiser obedient to preference utilitarianism. Which is never going to happen, because it's impossible. But just because it's a delusional goal doesn't make it maleficent. To the best of my knowledge these people mean really well and aren't the slightest bit fascistic.

Roko's Basilisk is also instantly dismissible. It's an entirely incoherent idea.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Guys, guys, it's super important that we're careful to properly categorize the various groups of internet dorks.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Look, now you're a neoreactionary too!
That's clearly a black card, sir

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Smudgie Buggler posted:

To the best of my knowledge these people mean really well and aren't the slightest bit fascistic.

The Dark Enlightenment and Neoreactionary idiots are a direct offshoot of LessWrong.

Eli is almost as much not one of them as the Slate Star Codex guy: Claims not to be, but hangs out with them, takes them seriously, and says a lot of suspiciously congruent things.

(Though to his credit I doubt he has anything at all to do with the couple of hard-core anti-Semites in that crowd.)

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

eschaton posted:

The Dark Enlightenment and Neoreactionary idiots are a direct offshoot of LessWrong.

Eli is almost as much not one of them as the Slate Star Codex guy: Claims not to be, but hangs out with them, takes them seriously, and says a lot of suspiciously congruent things.

(Though to his credit I doubt he has anything at all to do with the couple of hard-core anti-Semites in that crowd.)

I take some technofascists seriously, and so you should you. The last time this poo poo reached critical mass we had a World War that flattened Europe. It's profoundly virulent and extremely dangerous.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

eschaton posted:

Anissimov and his acolytes are, but they were immediately and loudly disavowed by the vast majority of singularitarians weren't they? I've never heard of the Moldbug camp ever having had anything to do with the transhuman 'rationalist' community.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

You seem very invested in this.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Anissimov and his acolytes are, but they were immediately and loudly disavowed by the vast majority of singularitarians weren't they? I've never heard of the Moldbug camp ever having had anything to do with the transhuman 'rationalist' community.

http://lesswrong.com/lw/gck/link_noam_chomsky_killed_aaron_schwartz/

TetsuoTW posted:

Seriously.

I can understand wanting to distinguish them, but come on.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

TetsuoTW posted:

OK.

Of what relevance is this? Moldbug got linked and discussed dispassionately on a large community blog. That exact thing has happened right here.

I've never posted on Less Wrong, and I think it's a pretty loopy little community, but the fact that some neoreactionaries have passed through there is not an indictment of everybody associated with it, especially when the exact same thing can be said about these very forums.

quote:

I can understand wanting to distinguish them, but come on.

When you've got young, charismatic, and highly intelligent people dressing up literal fascism in new clothes so nice that they're actually having success propagating it without hardly any of their followers, most of them highly educated young people themselves, even realising what it is, I think it's important to know how to pick your targets accurately.

Smudgie Buggler has a new favorite as of 12:44 on Sep 18, 2015

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Why is laser precision so important to pointing and laughing for you?

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

TetsuoTW posted:

Why is laser precision so important to pointing and laughing for you?

You're comfortable belittling people and calling them evil when they've actually done nothing to warrant it?

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Smudgie Buggler posted:

You're comfortable belittling people and calling them evil when they've actually done nothing to warrant it?

Define "nothing"

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Nope. Moldbug commented quite a bit on Yudkowsky's posts when they were on OvercomingBias and recruited his fans there. NRx has been in and around LessWrong since before it existed.

Nessus posted:

If Yud isn't one of these folks or at least in the neighboring territory, how'd he get on their magic cards, anyway?

That card was made before Yudkowsky explicitly disclaimed NRx (citing Scott Alexander's takedown), and they are still a bit upset. They really wanted him to be in with them.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It's probably unfair to call Yudkowsky a neo-reactionary, but Slate Star Codex is basically their PR blog at this point.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Stop deflecting. Why is laser precision so important to pointing and laughing for you?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
So there was this really controversial game that came out recently called Hatred. Someone pointed out that the devs follow a bunch of neo-Nazi pages on Facebook. Their response was more or less "We're not neo-Nazis, but we think these neo-Nazi pages are the only ones telling the truth about certain subjects and saying what others are too scared to say". Scott and Yud aren't DE/NRx in the same way the Hatred devs aren't neo-Nazis. They reject the label, but that's about it.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

TetsuoTW posted:

Stop deflecting. Why is laser precision so important to pointing and laughing for you?

Because I'm not comfortable with belittling people and calling them evil when they're not promoting harming anybody, and I'm not OK with other people doing it either. It wasn't a deflection; I thought that was obvious from the fact I was asking the question.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

TetsuoTW posted:

Precision is part of the fun, to be fair.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

So there was this really controversial game that came out recently called Hatred. Someone pointed out that the devs follow a bunch of neo-Nazi pages on Facebook. Their response was more or less "We're not neo-Nazis, but we think these neo-Nazi pages are the only ones telling the truth about certain subjects and saying what others are too scared to say". Scott and Yud aren't DE/NRx in the same way the Hatred devs aren't neo-Nazis. They reject the label, but that's about it.

I wouldn't go that far. They have slightly similar thinking patterns, as outlined in this essay, and they're part of the same social circles in the Bay Area weirdosphere, but I don't think your analogy's a great one.

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Because I'm not comfortable with belittling people and calling them evil when they're not promoting harming anybody, and I'm not OK with other people doing it either. It wasn't a deflection; I thought that was obvious from the fact I was asking the question.

Go read TheRightStuff.biz. We're talking about a movement that includes a substantial chunk of literal actual neo-Nazis who greet each other with "14-88". And not an element considered an embarassment: the SF neoreactionaries' main objection to the alt-right is not their ideas, but their intellectual unsubtlety (and that the neo-Nazis take the piss out of them too). Your repeated assertion of harmlessness is inane at best.

divabot has a new favorite as of 16:06 on Sep 18, 2015

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
https://youtu.be/gb_qHP7VaZE

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Oh hey a bunch of new... posts...

What an accurate custom title.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Look, they're not technically full members of the actual German Nazi party...

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
While we're on the topic of the connection between LW and NRx, here's a post where neoreactionaries try to peddle Moldbug to rationalists, and rationalists critical of Moldbug are down-voted for being mind-killed.

http://lesswrong.com/lw/fh4/why_is_mencius_moldbug_so_popular_on_less_wrong/

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Smudgie Buggler posted:

I take some technofascists seriously, and so you should you. The last time this poo poo reached critical mass we had a World War that flattened Europe. It's profoundly virulent and extremely dangerous.

lol

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Hitler was a technofascist?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Skellybones posted:

Hitler was a technofascist?

Technically a cyberfascist.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
If you want to be worried about fascism that's actually virulent, go worry about Trump, who is palingenetic ultranationalism made flesh and actually has an audience.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Does anyone have that comic talking about the rapture of the nerds and laying out why these people are terrible. I can't find it.

Also, lol at "highly educated"

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Political Whores posted:

Does anyone have that comic talking about the rapture of the nerds and laying out why these people are terrible. I can't find it.

(Off topic: apparently the reason I can't find the original source of these comics is that the person who made them had a mental breakdown and purged their website and destroyed over a hundred printed collections of their webcomic.)

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Curvature of Earth posted:

(Off topic: apparently the reason I can't find the original source of these comics is that the person who made them had a mental breakdown and purged their website and destroyed over a hundred printed collections of their webcomic.)

Now post the follow up one about how the guy ranting about nerds is just a spiteful rear end in a top hat. Because that's kind of important too.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Heresiarch posted:

If you want to be worried about fascism that's actually virulent, go worry about Trump, who is palingenetic ultranationalism made flesh and actually has an audience.

And, to be expressly on-topic, he has the explicit endorsement of large slabs of NRx (and not just the alt-right, who hear his dogwhistles perfectly), including ones who were previously "above" electoral politics. This is the king they dream of.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Now post the follow up one about how the guy ranting about nerds is just a spiteful rear end in a top hat. Because that's kind of important too.

The last page is the non-ghost guy angry with the ghost because he smashed his tablet, it's ultimately just storyline stuff; it's irrelevant to the point

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Checking up on Aurini is picking-a-scab levels of satisfaction. (The links below are videos, only the last one is essential to your delight in this thread.)

This excerpt from The Sarkeesian Effect is actually Owen, the competent member of the duo. It's 90 seconds from about two hours in, it just feels like ten minutes. Apparently this Gamergalt speech was originally a goddamn hour.

So that video led me to this rework of Smokin' Aces retelling the story of Aurini and the Patreon money, which led me to the same guy's several videos on Aurini.

This is the one you need to watch. It's a cut-down version of one of Aurini's rants on race, with commentary. Find out who really caused the Holocaust!

(Doesn't link back to the original, which is annoying because it'd fit into the RationalWiki article wonderfully with the application of game to nieces.)

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Chocolate Teapot posted:

The last page is the non-ghost guy angry with the ghost because he smashed his tablet, it's ultimately just storyline stuff; it's irrelevant to the point

Paul smashed his own tablet, not the other guy's. It is important because it's "You're not enlightened, you're just as up your own rear end as they are but desperately want someone to feel superior to."

Edited for clarity

GIANT OUIJA BOARD has a new favorite as of 11:52 on Sep 19, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

divabot posted:

Checking up on Aurini is picking-a-scab levels of satisfaction. (The links below are videos, only the last one is essential to your delight in this thread.)

This excerpt from The Sarkeesian Effect is actually Owen, the competent member of the duo. It's 90 seconds from about two hours in, it just feels like ten minutes. Apparently this Gamergalt speech was originally a goddamn hour.

So that video led me to this rework of Smokin' Aces retelling the story of Aurini and the Patreon money, which led me to the same guy's several videos on Aurini.

This is the one you need to watch. It's a cut-down version of one of Aurini's rants on race, with commentary. Find out who really caused the Holocaust!

(Doesn't link back to the original, which is annoying because it'd fit into the RationalWiki article wonderfully with the application of game to nieces.)

I made it 45 seconds into the last video. I can't believe the first one is anything shorter than 15 minutes. It's agony to listen to that guy try to sound out fancy words.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

Chocolate Teapot posted:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Speaking of manosphere idiots, Roosh has an evil scheme

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Seriously, any pretense of being reasonable was destroyed by that guy's crazy Kirkpatrick Sale rampage. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Woolie Wool posted:

Seriously, any pretense of being reasonable was destroyed by that guy's crazy Kirkpatrick Sale rampage. :psyduck:

Going off meds while completely broke doesn't help your mental state any.

On the bright side one of the cards against humanity guys paid to ship the last of the books