Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Of all the misused and squandered technology on this show a machine that can instantly create fully-formed sentient life from people's thoughts has definitely have to be the greatest. Especially since its own creations can be hooked up to it and create a recursive feedback loop, you could be creating omnipotent god-beings or perfect leaders and workers or infinitely productive and efficient cattle with just a few moments of effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

This is the least funny minute and a half in R&M history.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Sleeveless posted:

Of all the misused and squandered technology on this show a machine that can instantly create fully-formed sentient life from people's thoughts has definitely have to be the greatest. Especially since its own creations can be hooked up to it and create a recursive feedback loop, you could be creating omnipotent god-beings or perfect leaders and workers or infinitely productive and efficient cattle with just a few moments of effort.

It's a good thing the monster-beth didn't know about the meeseeks box. An endless supply of completely subservient unkillable clones

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Away all Goats posted:

It's a good thing the monster-beth didn't know about the meeseeks box. An endless supply of completely subservient unkillable clones
The Jerrys are a lot more predictable, making them easy for Beth to control. As we've seen with the Meeseeks, they're totally subservient until they're suddenly not. Then they're just unkillable, which may not go well for anyone involved.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Jerry hosed up by quitting and making it impossible for them to finish. I think if you said "take over this planet for me" they'd have a consistent goal to work towards so they'd stay on task. They'd be a lot less useful when it came to actually occupying something.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

rydiafan posted:

I don't know, I think January saves it for me.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I love the brilliant animations of his ramblings.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Did you see morty going for a hi five at the end that's gold jerry gold

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Oh boy, I can't wait for another multi-paragraph post about an underage female character who's had a single-digit number of lines. There have easily been more of these posts than minutes of screentime for Jessica.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

theflyingexecutive posted:

Oh boy, I can't wait for another multi-paragraph post about an underage female character who's had a single-digit number of lines. There have easily been more of these posts than minutes of screentime for Jessica.

Hey! My unnecessary and pointless Jessica post was only ONE paragraph! :argh:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

rydiafan posted:

Well, the first one had a few duds too. But I guess it's not good that they chose that one for the preview.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

Guy A. Person posted:

They're mocking the trope tho
So is Rick and Morty

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

theflyingexecutive posted:

There has certainly been more screentime for Jessica than there has been for Ethan though. Are he and Summer supposed to be a couple still?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Even if she's only meant to be a generic high school love intrest I like the way Jessica's character has been written so far; [...]
I got to admit, I do not share your enthusiasm about Jessica. When she didn't appear in any of the episodes of the season, I actually thought they had decided to quietly excise her of the show. I was quite surprised to see her reappear here.

Mind you, I was also surprised at Ethan coming back in the giant heads episode, but at this point his appearances almost feels like a running joke in the making.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

LOL This looks great

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

rydiafan posted:

I watched this twice and it was funny each time. Charming even.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
To add my 2 cents to pissing off people, who can't afford to read a few lines, or just skip this whole post, on Jessica...

Right now I'd say they're giving her the 'correct' (yes, as defined by myself) level of attention, if one were to go from Morty's perspective. Most crushes IRL tend to go like his experience with her - whenever she enters his mind, she seems so important at the time...but then other far more critical poo poo goes down so that nothing much happens with her (even if they might wind up having sex eventually in season 8 episode 10 or whatevs) and later in life, when one gets perspective, one eventually sees it more as adolescent lust than love and not that important, really.

So I'm fine with Jessica remaining his crush, but never being given much character definition or evolution, other than what she is right now plot-wise (i.e. an occasional reason to distract Morty from the central story, and make him drop the ball). Sure, they could try to do something with her character...but if they do, they'd wind up walking a tightrope between subverting/mocking the 'high-school romance' cliches and tropes and jumping the shark by having R&M devolve into becoming that kind of writing. Still, given Dan Harmon's legendary bile about romance ever being this central to writing, I doubt this will ever happen lol.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

CrazyLoon posted:

To add my 2 cents to pissing off people, who can't afford to read a few lines, or just skip this whole post, on Jessica...

Right now I'd say they're giving her the 'correct' (yes, as defined by myself) level of attention, if one were to go from Morty's perspective. Most crushes IRL tend to go like his experience with her - whenever she enters his mind, she seems so important at the time...but then other far more critical poo poo goes down so that nothing much happens with her (even if they might wind up having sex eventually in season 8 episode 10 or whatevs) and later in life, when one gets perspective, one eventually sees it more as adolescent lust than love and not that important, really.

So I'm fine with Jessica remaining his crush, but never being given much character definition or evolution, other than what she is right now plot-wise (i.e. an occasional reason to distract Morty from the central story, and make him drop the ball). Sure, they could try to do something with her character...but if they do, they'd wind up walking a tightrope between subverting/mocking the 'high-school romance' cliches and tropes and jumping the shark by having R&M devolve into becoming that kind of writing. Still, given Dan Harmon's legendary bile about romance ever being this central to writing, I doubt this will ever happen lol.

Agreed but I don't know if it'll take them until S8 to get that far, just because I don't see them doing the whole trope of unrequited teen love or will-they-won't they poo poo for that long. I think Morty's growing at a fast enough rate that he'll move on or something, and that might mean Jessica will be written out soonish, or her role in the story will change, or she'll just become a background character or something maybe.

What's this about Dan Harmon being super obsessed with romance though? I thought he hated rom com stuff.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I'm interested in seeing how the alien couples therapy was supposed to work.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Megaspel posted:

Agreed but I don't know if it'll take them until S8 to get that far, just because I don't see them doing the whole trope of unrequited teen love or will-they-won't they poo poo for that long. I think Morty's growing at a fast enough rate that he'll move on or something, and that might mean Jessica will be written out soonish, or her role in the story will change, or she'll just become a background character or something maybe.

What's this about Dan Harmon being super obsessed with romance though? I thought he hated rom com stuff.

I wasn't even remotely serious with "S8 E10" - just as an over-the-top example, 100 years of R&M and all that jazz.

And yea, he hates (why I said 'bile') rom com stuff but the reasons he has for that are tied to writing and essentially: "Romance is just a seasoning on a dish and if any writing is ever mainly about romance it must necessarily suck."

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Applewhite posted:

I imagine after they watch how their mythologues don't work together, they would proceed onto the actual therapy portion- to try to see their partners as people, not the trumped up monsters they imagine them to be. As the session goes on, maybe they would scan their brains again and see how their mythologues change toward each other. Once the mythologues turn out looking like the real thing, then the therapy would essentially be over.

We essentially see this with Beth, though at an accelerated(and highly variable) rate.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Just Offscreen posted:

I imagine after they watch how their mythologues don't work together, they would proceed onto the actual therapy portion- to try to see their partners as people, not the trumped up monsters they imagine them to be. As the session goes on, maybe they would scan their brains again and see how their mythologues change toward each other. Once the mythologues turn out looking like the real thing, then the therapy would essentially be over.

We essentially see this with Beth, though at an accelerated(and highly variable) rate.

Naw, they take it one step further and bring out the next stage of near-perfect mythologue. Then they incinerate the original couple and let the idealised mythologues take their place. :v:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CrazyLoon posted:

And yea, he hates (why I said 'bile') rom com stuff but the reasons he has for that are tied to writing and essentially: "Romance is just a seasoning on a dish and if any writing is ever mainly about romance it must necessarily suck."

I thought he hated romantic comedies because they're always about someone getting cheated on.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Naw, they take it one step further and bring out the next stage of near-perfect mythologue. Then they incinerate the original couple and let the idealised mythologues take their place. :v:

Haha holy poo poo this is exactly what they 'd do

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

prefect posted:

I thought he hated romantic comedies because they're always about someone getting cheated on.

I think there are a lot of valid reasons to hate romantic comedies.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

prefect posted:

A story about a relationship must mean the couple is unhappy (a story needs conflict) and that it's one of the couple's fault (because if it's an external problem then the story is actually about dealing with that, not the relationship). Which almost always means someone cheated, and they'll either work it out or not. Harmonsay.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

CrazyLoon posted:

I wasn't even remotely serious with "S8 E10" - just as an over-the-top example, 100 years of R&M and all that jazz.

Haha whoops, I misread your post to mean exactly the opposite of what you typed. My brain wasn't working and I interpreted "bile" as "adoration" or something.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

e: oops wrong button

Applewhite posted:

Yeah, like they were supposed to show the couples the how dysfunctional the way they saw each other was and why they couldn't get along, and contrast that with the way they really are, but then what?

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 18, 2015

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

There's couples therapy where you whack each other with foam baseball bats to get some primal aggression out. This is the same thing but using whipping boys conjured out of your deepest psyche who fight to the death.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This is now what I believe.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Krinkle posted:

There's couples therapy where you whack each other with foam baseball bats to get some primal aggression out.

that seems like the worst idea ever

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

that seems like the worst idea ever

Teach each other to express your frustrations with physical violence? what could go wrong?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

how else would they have a 100% success rate?

Also I wonder if there was a screening process that Jerry and Beth didn't go through, I get the feeling that co-dependent couples have gone through the clinic before and not had good results so the clinic screen certain couples to avoid tarnishing the reputation of the clinic.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Maybe alien couples are just less messed up than human ones in general.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

I watched this twice and it was funny each time. Charming even.

I was in the middle of having a dental procedure this morning and I kept thinking about "This JANuary, it's time to Michael down your Vincents" and kept almost laughing, but I'm glad I didn't because I'm sure I would have been stabbed with pointy dental tools

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

ElCondemn posted:

Teach each other to express your frustrations with physical violence? what could go wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIqogH25tms

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsX83VAavpE

Morty's singing voice is really weird

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Maybe aliens are just less messed up than humans in general.

Fixed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I feel like this was a song they just made and then decided to use it in the episode.

But I could be wrong.

I wasn't there.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN4PkePrtJk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

I love it.

But I see Mr. Poopy Butthole in there... so... uhm... does anyone here have any bad memories of Waffleman?

• Locked thread