Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

TontoCorazon posted:

What the gently caress is fallout 4?

Trees made of androids, or androids made of trees. It's all very up in the air at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Trees? What trees?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

The ones mimicking sentient life, obviously.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

The Hist were first.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I think that Todd Howard makes good video games, and he seems like a nice man.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Hey guys. I'm playing Mad Max currently and it's the best fallout game ever.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

TontoCorazon posted:

"Since we last talked, this game has gone through.... So many permutations. First, we reimagined the whole thing as an interactive social-media experience. Then we realized it was actually more of a floating art installation, but that didn't feel right either. We thought.... is it a high-end perfume? A series of interrelated fortune cookies? A hat that if you turn it upside down, it's a boat? --No, Fallout 4 is none of those things.

Fallout 4 is a bimonthly curated box of snacks." -Todd Howard, September 17, 2015

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I am totally for fallout merchandising. It's the one series I've been very disappointed there wasn't poo poo everywhere that I could buy. For too long you've had to get every collectors edition or promotional thing everywhere to actually have anything for your shelf. Then you stare at ebay and sigh at the astronomical prices because of course you weren't at some UK press release to get whatever vault-tec viewfinder with 3D fallout slides.

I'm both annoyed that Guy Fieri is being considered for writing a cookbook, but also amused. He's actually the perfect person to come up with a bunch of recipes for microwave radiation blasted inedible depression. If he doesn't accidentally cook with cockroach or rat meat from time to time, I donno who does.

Mordaedil posted:

I think it was some guy on reddit or something that made it, the developers got linked and thought it was a neat idea and decided to contact the Monopoly guys and are making it a reality.

Naw I was looking at their store page. I'm sure whatever reddit version you're talking about looked better.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
are some of you guys actually mad at the merchandise or

but yea they totally missed an opportunity wrt bottle caps for monopoly money

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Cheap Shot posted:

I am totally for fallout merchandising. It's the one series I've been very disappointed there wasn't poo poo everywhere that I could buy. For too long you've had to get every collectors edition or promotional thing everywhere to actually have anything for your shelf. Then you stare at ebay and sigh at the astronomical prices because of course you weren't at some UK press release to get whatever vault-tec viewfinder with 3D fallout slides.

I'm both annoyed that Guy Fieri is being considered for writing a cookbook, but also amused. He's actually the perfect person to come up with a bunch of recipes for microwave radiation blasted inedible depression. If he doesn't accidentally cook with cockroach or rat meat from time to time, I donno who does.

Naw I was looking at their store page. I'm sure whatever reddit version you're talking about looked better.

Wait, my joke about a cannibal Guy Fieri is actually coming partially true? WAS TODD HOWARD ACTUALLY CREME-OF-PLENTY THIS WHOLE TIME?!

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Eonwe posted:

are some of you guys actually mad at the merchandise or

but yea they totally missed an opportunity wrt bottle caps for monopoly money

Seems like everyone so far has been happy they're going to merch it up.

But they printed caps on the paper money. Uggh. Not even NCR Bux or anything. :eng99:

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

marktheando posted:

Going to have to agree with this

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cheap Shot posted:

Seems like everyone so far has been happy they're going to merch it up.

But they printed caps on the paper money. Uggh. Not even NCR Bux or anything. :eng99:

Yeah that's dumb af. If it was either caps or NCR money I'd buy it just to have those but uhh caps on paper money?

marktheando posted:

Yeah he legit tries hard to make something good I think. Watching the making of videos for these games is cool because you're like 'hey actually they're putting a lot of thought into what they're doing and they're trying hard, it's just that these games have so many moving parts you can't expect perfection or to have the same opinions on everything.'

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Many retards argue that bethesda is dumbing down each iteration of the game but I argue they aren't

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

TontoCorazon posted:

It's a mod for "Shower With Your Dad Simulator."

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Many retards argue that bethesda is dumbing down each iteration of the game but I argue they aren't

I agree. Yeah there isn't a piece for individual gloves/pauldrons/boots whatever like in Morrowind but on the other hand tons of other systems have been improved and made deeper.

I'd much rather have Skyrim's combat than be able to have two different gloves on at the same time.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

As soon as you can mod out John Fallout's voice, all the new characters, and the entire story, Fallout 4 will own insanely hard

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

As soon as you can mod out John Fallout's voice, all the new characters, and the entire story, Fallout 4 will own insanely hard

After listening to the interview with Brian T. Delaney (male character voice) I honestly am sad so many people are against the voice acting. This is his break out gig and he's a totally rad dude. You could tell he was super passionate about his role in the making of the game.

I would have liked to have heard Courtenay Taylor, but unfortunately in her interview they sent some boring head of so and so to talk over her. I just wanted to skip through it to hear what she had to say but it wasn't worth sitting through the sausage fest.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
So who was the first to post "John Fallout" and why does everyone think they're being clever when they do too?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Cheap Shot posted:

After listening to the interview with Brian T. Delaney (male character voice) I honestly am sad so many people are against the voice acting.

To be fair the people against it are the minority, so really it's fine for the dude. Like I mean especially the sort of people that would hire him in the future aren't likely to give a poo poo about some rando's argument that voice acting makes it harder for them to imagine their own character or something.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Why do you think everybody thinks they're being clever when they do so? Are you un-american?!

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

So who was the first to post "John Fallout" and why does everyone think they're being clever when they do too?

I can tell you're the person that others groan about when they hear you were invited somewhere

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I can't wait to loot a series of fallen raiders and hear John Fallout insanely badassily say "I can--" "I can--" "I can--" "I can--" "I can use--" "I--" "I can use this..."

Jane Fallout apparently came first, though.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Boogaleeboo posted:

To be fair the people against it are the minority, so really it's fine for the dude. Like I mean especially the sort of people that would hire him in the future aren't likely to give a poo poo about some rando's argument that voice acting makes it harder for them to imagine their own character or something.

I meant more a shame that those people wont enjoy his work because of something something character immersion, more than any kind of worry for the future of his career. He'll def go places after this for sure.

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006
wait people are still falling for this scam?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Let me post a somewhat extreme picture about my personal main worry on voice acted protag

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
i can see that. But to be fair, but the bad example is bioware when they started trying to write everything like joss wheadon. i doubt bethesda will go down that route.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

GuyUpNorth posted:

Let me post a somewhat extreme picture about my personal main worry on voice acted protag

So we went from an endless e-book to a snappy interactive movie (Sega-CD/3DO style). I know which one I'd invite into my home. I just hope Fallout 4 got Christopher Walken.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

I agree. Yeah there isn't a piece for individual gloves/pauldrons/boots whatever like in Morrowind but on the other hand tons of other systems have been improved and made deeper.

I'd much rather have Skyrim's combat than be able to have two different gloves on at the same time.

On the plus side of armor things, in FO4 they stated that armor customization goes as deep as individual pauldrons / etc ut idk if that's just power armor

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i can see that. But to be fair, but the bad example is bioware when they started trying to write everything like joss wheadon. i doubt bethesda will go down that route.

I think he mainly meant there there is inevitably a loss in the breadth your character is able to communicate when every line has to be recorded. If the writing is good enough I don't think it matters too much, but Bethesda leaves a lot to be desired.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

popewiles posted:

I think he mainly meant there there is inevitably a loss in the breadth your character is able to communicate when every line has to be recorded. If the writing is good enough I don't think it matters too much, but Bethesda leaves a lot to be desired.

On the flip side every conversation doesn't take an hour as you attempt to exhaust every possible thread of nested conversation, like some sort of endless matryoshka doll made of talking

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

THE PENETRATOR posted:

On the plus side of armor things, in FO4 they stated that armor customization goes as deep as individual pauldrons / etc ut idk if that's just power armor

Unless they allow layers I doubt every single piece of armor will be customizable. They DID show the status screen, each VATS segment with separate armor slots, but unless you can, say, equip a lab coat over your chest and armored chaps over your VAULT-TEC issue spandex pants (seriously, the vault suit looks sprayed on in the previews) I'm not sure exactly how much the different armor ratings over each limb will matter.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

kill all nerds

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

icantfindaname posted:

so both the playerbase and the developers are retarded, autistic nerds who are scared and confused by anything other than the same lovely boring environment they've been seeing for the last 17 years. you're really selling me on this game

I hope there's at least one area in the game that's just a crazy vibrant tropical jungle for some reason and the only quest there is to either burn it down because the people living outside of it are afraid of the change in environment, or use magical radiation to make it grow faster, because the people living inside of it think the people outside of it are dumb and should have the same environment as them.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

Jane Fallout apparently came first, though.

lol I'm freakin cool

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

THE PENETRATOR posted:

So like the Taylor Maid mod? Sounds good if true.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

I'd much rather have Oblivion's combat than be able to have two different gloves on at the same time.

Ftfy. All Skyrim did was add finishers to Oblivion's weightless hp sponge combat. Which is hilariously not an improvement because all Oblivion did was change Morrowind combat from being rng based for a few levels, then solid high damage fights to being consistent but low damage fights all game.

So yeah, you're saying you'd rather have less dress up options because it gave you more tedious combat.

Next you're going to tell me you're glad they got rid of the spell button so now if you want to shoot a fireball after slashing a dude you have to pause, change your equiped weapon, watch a stupid ready animation, shoot the fireball, pause, change weapons, unsheethe your sword, then slash another dude.

Like yes there's lots of nerd overreacting to changes in TES, but combat is something Beth is loving awful at, and at best keeps making it just as bad as previous games, if not worse.

Which is why Fallout 3 ruled, because combat was fun. But we'll have to wait and see if slowmo Vats is an improvement or not. Personally, I'd rather more time be spent giving me more options to look pretty. And I especially hope they got the armor designers from NV on this because FO3 had some terrible designs and NV had some super cool ones.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

GuyUpNorth posted:

PST is the one game everybody cites as a proof of old games being much deeper, and it still isn't very good as a work of fiction, interactive or not. At least by embracing a more cinematic and conventionally paced approach, RPGs have found a media form they can more comfortably inhabit.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

popewiles posted:

Reducing breadth is actually likely to improve a game's story.

In a hypothetical scenario, typing/speaking out what you wanted your PC to say and then having the computer interpret the results would be Very Bad even if the translation software worked perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Are people still whining about voiced protagonists, jesus loving christ.

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Nah it's other armour types too.

• Locked thread