Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I've been using one of these for quite a while and it's been pretty great. It has a "suction cup" (?) on the bottom that feels sticky to the touch but doesn't leave any residue and can be removed and re-applied as you wish. It's rock-solid almost all of the time, although it's lost grip on a couple of occasions when it's extremely hot outside.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D7KGLF8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
It takes some work and are a little costly but mounting a proclip into your vehicle specific frame is the best solution. I wanted to try these magnet mounts so I just picked up a big magnet and slapped it on there and now I have one. (Using the included metal in the back of my phone that comes with the magnetic vent mounts)

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
I currently have the option to upgrade my phone. Currently have a Galaxy S3. Should I jump on Galaxy S6? Or is there a better option available now?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

DontMindMe posted:

I currently have the option to upgrade my phone. Currently have a Galaxy S3. Should I jump on Galaxy S6? Or is there a better option available now?

Galaxy s6 is a great phone, go for it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TraderStav posted:

It takes some work and are a little costly but mounting a proclip into your vehicle specific frame is the best solution. I wanted to try these magnet mounts so I just picked up a big magnet and slapped it on there and now I have one. (Using the included metal in the back of my phone that comes with the magnetic vent mounts)

I'm sure it's entirely dependent on the car but my Proclip mount didn't take any work beyond peeling off the paper on a couple sticky pads then screwing on the actual holder.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Mooktastical posted:

Media Monkey can wirelessly sync between its Windows and Android versions. It can easily do the first requirement, but it can only make 'and' or 'or' playlists, so you'll have to gently caress with it to get it to do exactly what you want. You'd make 1 playlist with your first condition, then make a second playlist that pulls out of that playlist and has a "match either of the following conditions" for your rating requirements. Bam, you've got your and plus the 2 or's.

Edit:^^^That^^^ should've read like this: Make 1 playlist with your second two conditions as a "Match either of the following conditions", then have the 2nd playlist set to match all conditions, and have it just pull off of the first playlist and also match your first condition. I'm smart - S M R T.

Of course, you could also do the double twist route. I haven't ever used it, so I can't advise of how well it works or not, but it is definitely still A Thing. I'd imagine that it breaks every time you update iTunes without updating it along side.

A third option would be to use Media Monkey as a dumb pipe to just track your play counts on your phone, then sync all of your played counts back to the computer, then pull up iTunes to do the heavy lifting.

Thanks for this. I spent a LOT of time last night getting a MediaMonkey script to transfer over my date added info before realizing that the playlists were limited. Can probably daisy-chain some playlists together, but it looks like iSyncr has rave reviews for $5.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Endless Mike posted:

I'm sure it's entirely dependent on the car but my Proclip mount didn't take any work beyond peeling off the paper on a couple sticky pads then screwing on the actual holder.

They have various models but I'm referring specifically to the mounted ones that have ideal placement. I've always been suspect of sticky

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

DontMindMe posted:

The S6 is pretty good, but has similar battery life to the S3 due to the insane screen. If battery life is a big concern I'd look elsewhere.

imurdaddy415
Sep 15, 2015
What do you guys thing of the asus zenphone 2? I bought it recently and am very happy with it. The only caveat being the round back.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
It's a pretty decent option for an inexpensive phone. Most Goons and internet reviewers prefer the Moto G for its better software, lack of bloatware, and lack of non-standard and non-backlit buttons, but it's a good value for the money.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

DontMindMe posted:

If you're buying a subsidized phone, buy an iPhone 6S and sell it and buy something cheaper, like a Pure. Or buy a Note 5. S6 isn't worth as much any more and has terrible battery.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Does anyone know what could be causing my Galaxy S4 to freeze almost every time I open an app? It can be any app, it's happened with every one I've tried to use since this started. Some will work until they get to something like a .gif that will trigger a freeze. Even lowering/raising the volume will freeze the phone unless i'm lucky. I can't use the touchscreen or back/settings buttons when it's frozen, my only input is to mash the home button until It goes back to the homescreen and tells me that the app has crashed.

If I leave it alone for a while it puts itself in some kind of phone-coma where it sits on the boot/splash screen eternally until I turn it off/on again. I can't use the restart function because even that freezes my phone. There's also been one occasion where I wasn't charging the phone and it got pretty hot while doing seemingly nothing. I'm having no battery problems oddly enough, even in the phone coma it seems to be running pretty efficiently.

Until today I could turn it off/on and the problem would be fixed at least temporarily, now it's effectively useless because it's freezing/crashing any time I want to actually do something. This has been happening ever since the 5.0 update, some other weird but presumably unrelated stuff was happening shortly before though.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 18, 2015

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Odobenidae posted:

Does anyone know what could be causing my Galaxy S4 to freeze almost every time I open an app? It can be any app, it's happened with every one I've tried to use since this started. Some will work until they get to something like a .gif that will trigger a freeze. Even lowering/raising the volume will freeze the phone unless i'm lucky. I can't use the touchscreen or back/settings buttons when it's frozen, my only input is to mash the home button until It goes back to the homescreen and tells me that the app has crashed.

If I leave it alone for a while it puts itself in some kind of phone-coma where it sits on the boot/splash screen eternally until I turn it off/on again. I can't use the restart function because even that freezes my phone. There's also been one occasion where I wasn't charging the phone and it got pretty hot while doing seemingly nothing. I'm having no battery problems oddly enough, even in the phone coma it seems to be running pretty efficiently.

Until today I could turn it off/on and the problem would be fixed at least temporarily, now it's effectively useless because it's freezing/crashing any time I want to actually do something. This has been happening ever since the 5.0 update, some other weird but presumably unrelated stuff was happening shortly before though.

You can try a factory restore, but it's probably caused by the S4 not having the horsepower to run Lollipop. I hope you're upgrade eligible either now or soon.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
"Horsepower" isn't the issue. Failing NAND is probably the issue.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

grack posted:

"Horsepower" isn't the issue. Failing NAND is probably the issue.

That's what I was thinking until he said it started when he installed 5.0.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Cozmosis posted:

If you're buying a subsidized phone, buy an iPhone 6S and sell it and buy something cheaper, like a Pure. Or buy a Note 5. S6 isn't worth as much any more and has terrible battery.

How do you sell a subsidized phone, anyway? Don't buyers usually want to avoid a device you're still paying off?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Cozmosis posted:

The battery life on the S6 is bad compared to the S5, it actually gets better battery life than most current flagships.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Mooktastical posted:

You can try a factory restore, but it's probably caused by the S4 not having the horsepower to run Lollipop. I hope you're upgrade eligible either now or soon.

My main phone was a Galaxy s4 running lollipop until just a month ago and it ran buttery smooth.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

My main phone was a Galaxy s4 running lollipop until just a month ago and it ran buttery smooth.

I stand corrected.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

How do you sell a subsidized phone, anyway? Don't buyers usually want to avoid a device you're still paying off?
If it's subsidized you aren't paying it off.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I think I'll try a factory reset and if that doesn't work I'll try to roll back to 4.4.2. I appreciate the speedy responses.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

imurdaddy415 posted:

What do you guys thing of the asus zenphone 2? I bought it recently and am very happy with it. The only caveat being the round back.

I love it. The battery could be better but for the price it's a really great phone. Constant updates, great performance, and looks good. Easily rooted too. No regrets and I'd recommend them.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Are there any good dual-sim phones? Friend of mine needs one and asked for advice but I never really checked on that stuff.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Shai-Hulud posted:

Are there any good dual-sim phones? Friend of mine needs one and asked for advice but I never really checked on that stuff.

I think where you are matters. Probably also things like what he's willing to pay and what carrier might help too.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

I think where you are matters. Probably also things like what he's willing to pay and what carrier might help too.

I'm in Europe, Germany to be precise. Price doesn't really matter. Its his first Smartphone and he's willing to pay for quality (you know, within reason).
So far i've found second gen Moto Gs and the Huawei P8 Lite. And a whole lot of weird chinese stuff i wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have to give credit to Fedex.

I finally got my shipment notification from Motorola on Weds evening (the day of the original delivery estimate.) When it shipped, Moto said it wouldn't be here till Tuesday. Fedex was a bit more optimistic for a Monday delivery. Up until yesterday evening, they had it in Hong Kong. It finally cleared customs in Memphis a little after midnight and managed to make its way to Pittsburgh and be on the truck for delivery this morning. So, I'll actually get to play with my new Pure this weekend and get it all setup to put through some paces. China to Pittsburgh delivery in slight less time than the average Prime order takes is pretty awesome.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TraderStav posted:

They have various models but I'm referring specifically to the mounted ones that have ideal placement. I've always been suspect of sticky
I mean, it clips behind some panels, and is secured with the adhesive pads, but it seems very sturdy.

(Proclip's picture)

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

bull3964 posted:

I have to give credit to Fedex.

I finally got my shipment notification from Motorola on Weds evening (the day of the original delivery estimate.) When it shipped, Moto said it wouldn't be here till Tuesday. Fedex was a bit more optimistic for a Monday delivery. Up until yesterday evening, they had it in Hong Kong. It finally cleared customs in Memphis a little after midnight and managed to make its way to Pittsburgh and be on the truck for delivery this morning. So, I'll actually get to play with my new Pure this weekend and get it all setup to put through some paces. China to Pittsburgh delivery in slight less time than the average Prime order takes is pretty awesome.

Are you me? Same thing for me. Got my shipment notification tuesday night lying in bed. Estimated delivery of tuesday-ish, Made it to Syracuse by 7:15 this morning, and it's out for delivery right now. Of course, I'm in the office today and it's being delivered to the house! gah!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ssjonizuka posted:

Are you me? Same thing for me. Got my shipment notification tuesday night lying in bed. Estimated delivery of tuesday-ish, Made it to Syracuse by 7:15 this morning, and it's out for delivery right now. Of course, I'm in the office today and it's being delivered to the house! gah!

I always have stuff delivered to my office. :)

It was waiting for me when I got in this morning. Haven't turned it on yet because I won't be messing with it until I get home today, but the physical impressions are very good. Even though it's larger overall than my turbo, it actually feels smaller in the pocket since the edges are more tapered. Same with it being in hand. I have large hands so reach isn't an issue for me, but it doesn't feel unwieldy to hold for me. It's very close to the same weight as the turbo (only 3 grams heavier) but it feels lighter again due to the edges tapering more.

It does feel more fragile than my turbo, but that's not a knock on build quality. It's just the matter of the edges being metal and it feeling thinner and having more glass.

I'll be picking up a 128gb SD card at lunch and setting the thing up this weekend.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

bull3964 posted:

I always have stuff delivered to my office. :)

It was waiting for me when I got in this morning. Haven't turned it on yet because I won't be messing with it until I get home today, but the physical impressions are very good. Even though it's larger overall than my turbo, it actually feels smaller in the pocket since the edges are more tapered. Same with it being in hand. I have large hands so reach isn't an issue for me, but it doesn't feel unwieldy to hold for me. It's very close to the same weight as the turbo (only 3 grams heavier) but it feels lighter again due to the edges tapering more.

It does feel more fragile than my turbo, but that's not a knock on build quality. It's just the matter of the edges being metal and it feeling thinner and having more glass.

I'll be picking up a 128gb SD card at lunch and setting the thing up this weekend.

Lucky! So Fedex apparently stopped by the house (Mrs. was home with littlest - but probably upstairs), and left a delivery attempt notice. Door open, cars in driveway, no knock, no doorbell, nada. stupid fedex.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2-bR5zFbzw

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Have you ever longed for a small screened phone in a large screen body? Blackberry has the phone for you.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

"An evaluation unit showed up at our office"? Like without any NDAs or instructions?
Congratulations BlackBerry, I think you are now officially the leakiest Android manufacturer.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

White, 32gb Nexus 6's are down to $299 on ebay.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/09/18/deal-nexus-6-32gb-drops-to-299-on-ebay/

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

bull3964 posted:

Have you ever longed for a small screened phone in a large screen body? Blackberry has the phone for you.

How much bigger could that screen possibly be and how is it small anyway?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

AlexF posted:

How much bigger could that screen possibly be and how is it small anyway?

I guess the screen isn't that small as people are saying it's 5.4" but goddamn does that thing look thick. It's going to be a massive brick in the pocket.

Top and bottom bezels look huge as well. It wouldn't surprise me to learn this is larger than most 5.5-6" devices.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 18, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

I still don't know if I like this or not. It's miles better than the BB10 phones at least, so since my work contact is up I'll pick this one up when it's released.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Nexus 6 down to $300 on Ebay. Oh god so tempted

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

Nexus 6 down to $300 on Ebay. Oh god so tempted

It's sold out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
There's going to be some weirdawesome cases for that phone.