Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

Meh, not that different from Osamu Tezuka's "Star System" I suppose, but for the fact that he clearly "casts" his "actors" onto set characters with very recognizable looks that don't match at all, like Indy up there.

Oh, let's talk Indy. I remembered that there was preproduction art for Raiders that portrayed Indy as much more of a dark-haired rock-jawed adventurer than Harrison Ford... I didn't understand at the time who the artist was, so I didn't remember his name.

It was Jim Steranko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

very recognizable looks that don't match at all, like Indy up there.
I tried to google and find out, but I wonder if there was a likeness royalty clause that Indy had to look like Indy...but not Harrison Ford. I've never read any of those comics, so I don't know if this was a recurring thing or not.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 18, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

redbackground posted:

I tried to google and find out, but I wonder if there was a likeness royalty clause that Indy had to look like Indy...but not Harrison Ford. I've never read any of those comics, so I don't know if this was a recurring thing or not.

That sounds plausible. Or that Chaykin used Steranko's art as a point of reference rather than movie stills--which looks very close to Chaykin's beloved lantern-jawed two fisted archetype character. But regardless I'm not exactly upset by all this. Just pointing out the strange style.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

That Indy looks like Dick Tracy's Oriental Adventures.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Howard Chaykin is a loving goddamn rear end legend. Don't like him all you want, but saying he was never a good artist just makes you sound stupid.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I'm sure a more well written person than myself has talked about how Indiana Jones was a stepping stone from moving away from the square jawed, two fisted action hero, to today's clever, roguish hero.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I mean, not really. He was a throwback when those movies came out.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think they definitely tried subverting it by making him a dorky professor when not on the job.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

a dorky professor who still looked like Harrison Ford

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Alaois posted:

a dorky professor who still looked like Harrison Ford

A dorky professor who all his students wanted.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He's practically Chris Pratt in Guardians!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. The girls were in love with him, but that's the joke.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmkJ0lrCpLQ
He's not the suave or confident Indie at all in that scene.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Phy posted:

Oh, let's talk Indy. I remembered that there was preproduction art for Raiders that portrayed Indy as much more of a dark-haired rock-jawed adventurer than Harrison Ford... I didn't understand at the time who the artist was, so I didn't remember his name.

It was Jim Steranko.

Steranko wrote an article about the thought process behind those images.

quote:

In suggesting scenes he wanted visualized, George offered only the most minimal detail. So, I began with the image of Indy in the desert because it offered the best showcase to reveal his demeanour, clothing and props. He would sport a bomber jacket (like George wears), a beat-up fedora (not unlike Fred C. Dobb in Treasure OF Sierra Madre), and carry a whip (similar to the hero of Zorro’s Fighting Legion). I added the Sam Browne belt (military strap over the right shoulder), the WW1 garrison belt for the holster, and the khaki shirt and slacks. By positioning Indy close to the viewer, he became the dominant factor in the shot – which I underscored by graphically cropping him at the top and bottom edges of the Cinemascope-proportioned frame.

The hero’s action-orientated persona is supported by his ready-for-anything stance, legs apart like a street-fighter maintaining balance; he’s just as prepared to the whip (which George suggested) as he is the opposite hand, which flexes for action. The primary element is his face and expression: tough, rugged, weathered by a thousand perils – a leitmotif equally shared in serials, comics and cinema. As I applied the final brushstrokes, Indiana Jones lived! (Later, Tom Selleck was cast in the part, but when his Magnum P.I. schedule was prohibitive, Harrison Ford replaced him. I still remember getting a call from George’s Girl Friday Carol Titelman after the first rushed were screened at the Lucasfilm offices and hearing her exclaiming, “how close Harrison Ford resembled the figures in the painting!”)

I suspect she might have face blindness.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Looks like Indy's got a case of the ol' cottonmouth there

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Looks like Indy's got a case of the ol' cottonmouth there

That's a cobra :haw:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jeez, tough crowd. First Chaykin, now they're dissing Steranko. Just who is a good artist anymore?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Anyone making GBS threads on Steranko is objectively wrong.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Travis343 posted:

Jeez, tough crowd. First Chaykin, now they're dissing Steranko. Just who is a good artist anymore?

Erica Henderson.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Joakim Pirinen:

drat, a toy dachshund!

Hoho! Just like a real dachshund, cute outside, disgusting inside!

Nah, obersturmbanpinscher is where it's at. - Nanne!

It's called NALLE (bear) you idiot! Here you see, he's completely empty. Read books instead.

Another (click for large):

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 21, 2015

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Seems to be channeling James Bama's Doc Savage work.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

E: gently caress, how did I miss that?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tim Sale seems even sloppier than I remember.

Captain America: White #1

Also Jeph Loeb continues to be as awful a writer as ever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mind the walrus posted:

Well to be fair, the whole series was written years ago at the apex of Loeb's bad writing and Sale drew at least up to #3, possibly #4 at that point.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

I'm not gonna poo poo on Steranko, I think he's a great artist, but legit question has he actually done anything since 70s?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm not gonna poo poo on Steranko, I think he's a great artist, but legit question has he actually done anything since 70s?

Bitch-slapped Bob Kane.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Ferrule posted:

Bitch-slapped Bob Kane.

I figure I know the why, but how did that come about?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

catlord posted:

I figure I know the why, but how did that come about?

Pretty sure it wasn't much more than he ran into him at a con.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ferrule posted:

Bitch-slapped Bob Kane.

The 80s he did the stuff for Indiana Jones as mentioned and the 90s Bram Stroker's Dracula

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 21, 2015

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Pretty sure it wasn't much more than he ran into him at a con.

Steranko said in his verison of the story that Kane got a little too familiar with him, was super condescending, and Steranko already disliked him due to Kane's rep as a credit stealer and all-round cockwhistle.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Here is a collection of the tweets Steranko posted about the incident:

quote:

I'd hadn't encountered Kane in my travels, but at one rockin' SDCC, an associate asked me if I wanted to meet him, and walked me into a hallway. There he was, in a small group of people, wearing patent-leather shoes--and an ASCOT, like he was Vitamin f******g Flintheart in a Dick Tracy cartoon.
For years, I'd heard how he'd taken credit for Bill Finger's contributions (in addition to half his pay) and other despicable tales from his associates. But nothing aces an in-person encounter. We were introduced and Kane began talking about my Batman chapter in the HISTORY OF COMICS, which treated him--and everyone else--very respectfully.
He felt I credited Robinson & Finger (both of whom I knew intimately) too much. Kane (aka Kahn) was beyond pretentious, an intolerable rear end as pompous as they come. I bit my tongue while he regaled us with his many achievements.
The group was waiting for an elevator, which they stepped into when the door opened. Our conversation ended but not before he said: "See you later, Jim, baby," and cuffed me across the face--like some rat-pack street gesture he'd seen in some cheap flick. The doors closed...I was stunned by the sheer audacity of a stranger--like him--to lay a hand on me, and boiling with anger.
That night, I couldn't sleep and the next morning began combing the halls for his Bat Majesty. Around noon, I found him in another group, which I walked into. "Good to see you, Bob, baby!" I said, then bitch-slapped him across the face.
But this time, there was no elevator door closing between us. I stood there for about 15 seconds, waiting. He did nothing.
I turned and left. But I regret it now. I regret that he didn't do anything about it, even though he was at least a head taller than me. I wouldn't have minded bleeding at all for one more opportunity to give Kane the kind of Bat Lesson that Finger, Robinson, Sprang and others only dreamed of.

:allears:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mind the walrus posted:

It came as some surprise to me to find out that Tim Sale is colour blind.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sienkiewicz's hip hop variant. It's Eminem's Relapse.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Travis343 posted:

Here is a collection of the tweets Steranko posted about the incident:

:allears:

This too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fadzZwx85e0

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jim Steranko is one of my favorite liars.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

zoux posted:

Sienkiewicz's hip hop variant. It's Eminem's Relapse.

Not self-homage to Bobby Digital :cmon:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just saw a preview for this week's We Are Robin and got reminded about the amazing variants covers it gets.

The previous two.

What would y'all think about a thread devoted to covers? I've been thinking about starting one for a long time.

This cover guy, James Harvey did guest interior art on today's We Are Robin #4.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Tony Salvador Daniel, ladies and gentlemen.

From the Batman and Robin Eternal prologue in the free Batman Day comic.
https://www.comixology.com/Batman-2011-1-Endgame-Special-Edition/digital-comic/287070

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

You seem so distracted. Is it because I've been talking to a two-dimensional cardboard cutout this whole time?