Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Yeah in many ways he was right. It was just a shock to realise our own coaches hadnt really thought about teaching us other grips. Its especially useful for me as I have long arms and I'm 'top heavy', plus I love koshi guruma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

VulgarandStupid posted:

I don't do a lot of stuff in the Gi, but when I do BJJ with the Gi, I find that grabbing in the first place mentioned can sometimes be pulled all the way to stomach level before the tension stops it. If you grab behind the neck, like this guy says, the collar can only slide to the first place mentioned. So that kind of makes sense to me, it's just better control.

I'm the opposite of you, I do mostly no-Gi and MMA so underhooks are key, but when I do gi I'm very hesitant and I don't know where to grab.

It mostly depends on your style and which type of moves you like. If you're shorter you're not going to get a behind the neck grip very often and probably won't be very effective with it. If you prefer throws like seois and sweeps, a lower grip will probably be better for you.

But yeah you must learn and use all sorts of grips. Sleeve and lapel is the most basic grip and a good first grip to learn most moves from, but it would make very little sense to only ever use that grip as you progress

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I have a general question about Martial Arts and lifting weights. Before I even get into this let me say that I am doing Aikido, and I know the general feeling towards this particular martial art and it's efficacy in 'real fights', and I'm not interested in talking about that at all.

So I practice Aikido 2 hours/3 nights a week and I find that I have the most trouble with simply assuming a lot of the basic positions. Aikido requires a lot of sitting seiza with knees tucked under you, moving around on your toes, falling safely with legs tucked behind you, and springing upwards from positions where your legs are under you. All of these things are incredibly difficult for me. I'm about 6 foot 3, 175 pounds. I've always had weird knees especially. I have never been able to sit cross-legged very well and if I tried to sit in the Lotus position I would tear my joints in a heartbeat, so all of these things add up to basic Aikido positions to be extremely difficult for me.

On my off days I go to the gym and do some pretty routine workouts, including running a couple miles. I've been considering cutting out the lifting for a while and switching those days over to some form of Yoga or stretching exercises in order to help me with the fundamental movements in Aikido. Has anyone had any experience with a situation like this? Do you think I would be better served focusing on these basic elements of Aikido? My overall goal is not to be a badass martial artist or get swole, I'm really just doing both of these things to put myself in a better place physically and improve my health.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I mostly sit in a kneeling position all the time so have 0 problem with it. I'd suggest trying to kneel while watching TV and stuff at home for a few "sets" of X minute or however long you can manage.

Yoga is awesome though and I highly recommend it. If you do it once a week don't expect a lot of flexibility progress though. You need to stretch very often if you want it to progress

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

How hard is it to do Yoga with no experience outside of a classroom setting with teachers? I don't really have the opportunity to do a Yoga class here so if I did it'd have to be solo just watching videos or something.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I think you can scale down yoga poses into easier variations, but if you're extremely extremely inflexible it might be worth hunting down a stretching program specifically designed for people like yourself. I'm sure there are a bunch out there, I just found a few googling but I can't vouch for the quality of any of them. Google "stretching for the extremely inflexible" or something like that, your needs are probably different to those of most people.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I probably didn't articulate this in my original post, but I am actually quite flexible by American standards. It's just the specific things required by Aikido, mostly having to constantly tuck my knees under me, I'm terrible at. I can touch the ground from a locked-knee standing position and rest my foot about chest level on a rail standing up and stuff like that, I just happen to have wonky knees that have been like that since I was little, so those particular positions are difficult.

My needs are definitely different, but I would probably be able to look up specific knee\ankle strengthening exercises similar to that. I'll give those a go.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Do more squats.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

What happens when you try to do a butterfly stretch?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

What happens when you try to do a butterfly stretch?

I can pull my feet pretty close to my groin, but my knees don't touch the ground. They're both maybe a solid 5 inches from touching.

And the only gym in my town doesn't have free weights, I'd love to be able to do squats :(

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
most people from first world countries cant do a deep squat because chairs gently caress up your body.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I can actually do what I hear most people call a 'Slav Squat' comfortably for like 15 minutes. I spent some time in Mongolia and that is another chairless nation.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

A few comments:

Aikido rolls/falls does not neccesarily have to be with the leg tucked behind. Although it is commonly taught this way.

You may also want to try learning the way the Judo folks do it. The front roll can be done with the leg extended in a Judo fashion. Although doing it differently than what you were taught by your coach or gym might be.... difficult. You could try saying you've have knee problems and this lets you still perform. Backward 'roll' is not necessary for any technique. A backward break fall can still be done and does not require tucking the legs.

From a static position your leg should be positioned as follows...
1. Lie on your side, arm positioned kind at 45 degrees like you're doing a break fall.
2. Toes slightly curled up kind of like you're kicking a soccer ball with the ball of your feet.
3. The weight should be resting on the side 'blade' of your foot, whatever its called.
4. Doing this should provide enough tension in your leg to keep your knee from touching the ground.
5. If you want you can raise your legs up and just them drop. If you're doing things right you shouldn't be feeling much and it should definetly not hurt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2d14cWPKPw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rizlP_I0E6c

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Sep 15, 2015

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I can pull my feet pretty close to my groin, but my knees don't touch the ground. They're both maybe a solid 5 inches from touching.

And the only gym in my town doesn't have free weights, I'd love to be able to do squats :(
Sounds like you have stiff hips, so look up stretches for hip flexors. If ladies give you poo poo for manspreading, also try stretching the glutes to balance it out. If you don't have free weights (your town sucks, by the way), do slow bodyweight squats or something.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Siivola posted:

Sounds like you have stiff hips, so look up stretches for hip flexors. If ladies give you poo poo for manspreading, also try stretching the glutes to balance it out. If you don't have free weights (your town sucks, by the way), do slow bodyweight squats or something.

Goblet squats will work too.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

First judo session today. Started out with breakfalls and kesa gatame, did a bunch of bodyweight workouts.

rear end status: Kicked.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLP_DInpPHE

I like the part where the Turkish dude mistakes the Aikido guy's stance for a handshake.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

canoshiz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLP_DInpPHE

I like the part where the Turkish dude mistakes the Aikido guy's stance for a handshake.

Everyone here loves and respects Aikido.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

If everyone did Aikido, no-one would ever get hurt in a brawl again!

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Is it normal for a mounted triangle to be painful? I can lock up the position without pain (posting and leaning out to secure it, then resettling) but at some point they inevitably start bucking left and right, and at that stage I feel like my knees are getting wrecked. I don't want to roll into guard to finish it because I don't want to sacrifice such a dominant position.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I rarely go for triangles due to what you are describing.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
It's hard to say what you should change without seeing in person but you shouldn't be putting too much pressure on your knees. It doesn't happen from your back at all?

I know trying to lock down on a triangle from a poor angle can cause knee pressure. You might need adjust

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I know this feeling exactly because I have tight-as-gently caress hips and stumpy legs.

Your body needs to be angled about 45 degrees to your victim's opponent's body. I can't even get my foot behind my knee pain-free without that twist, but it just closes up effortlessly when the angle is there. The good angle also blocks many of the escapes that I've been shown, too.

e. oh, mounted. idk.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
It's kinda tough to finish a mounted triangle without at least going over to your side anyway. You don't have to go all the way to your back.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Is it normal for a mounted triangle to be painful? I can lock up the position without pain (posting and leaning out to secure it, then resettling) but at some point they inevitably start bucking left and right, and at that stage I feel like my knees are getting wrecked. I don't want to roll into guard to finish it because I don't want to sacrifice such a dominant position.

I think you might be taking it a little too far with the dominant position thing. I think it's okay to trade in mount for a win if you have a sub already locked in and you're just looking for the leverage to finish it. This applies to mounted guillotines, triangles, spiral armbars, kneebahs... So you might have to compromise a little on your principles for the sake of your physical longevity (or choose a different mount attack) if they're thrashing so hard against your knees from inside the triangle. I personally think that's just the flow of the game, and the secret is that most likely when you've got your sub all locked up and they manage to force in a defense as you drop back to finish it, you will have suitable compensation available. Maybe there's another sub in reach, maybe it's just a sweep back to top, maybe a back take, but when the momentum/positional initiative is on your side, you can just sort of trust in that not to let you go from 2 steps ahead to 2 steps behind all in one shot.

A Wry Smile fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 19, 2015

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Quick q about bjj comps: are you allowed to wear rash guards? People in my gym saying no. Sounds mental to me

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

Quick q about bjj comps: are you allowed to wear rash guards?
Yes, with the caveat that any rear end in a top hat can organize a bjj comp so any dumb poo poo you can dream up has probably been a rule somewhere at some point.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I've seen it taught where you don't actually lock your foot behind the opposite knee to lock in the figure four on your legs, instead just positioning the foot adjacent to the knee. You can still get the triangle pressure here with no chance of blowing your knees out.

Personally I like locking it in as normal and going to my back/side but I would not advise emulating me wrt combat sports.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

ICHIBAHN posted:

Quick q about bjj comps: are you allowed to wear rash guards? People in my gym saying no. Sounds mental to me

If you're doing an IBJJF tournament then you can't wear a rash guard under your gi (if you're a guy). It's really dumb. Local tournament will vary, but the vast majority will allow you to wear one.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

IT BEGINS posted:

If you're doing an IBJJF tournament then you can't wear a rash guard under your gi (if you're a guy). It's really dumb. Local tournament will vary, but the vast majority will allow you to wear one.

Every time I think I know how dumb the rules in IBJJF comps are someone points out something I'm not aware of.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Second straight week in which the only ones to show up for saturday open mats were me and an instructor :v:

I learned at least two things both times! And I feel like I'm improving - I almost got a tap from a north-south. (almost :frogdowns:)

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

KildarX posted:

Every time I think I know how dumb the rules in IBJJF comps are someone points out something I'm not aware of.

Me and a fellow just-getting-back-into-rolling-with-gi buddy brought gi's to open mat today and spent like five minutes trying to remember what was ibjjf legal with regards to leg locks etc before saying gently caress it.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 19, 2015

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kekekela posted:

Me and a fellow just-getting-back-into-rolling-with-gi buddy brought gi's to open mat today and spent like five minutes trying to remember what was ibjjf legal with regards to leg locks etc before saying gently caress it.

I looked it up. If you're a blue belt or higher, achilles lock is legal. Everything else is out. All spine locks, incl. can opener are out.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

It's hard to say what you should change without seeing in person but you shouldn't be putting too much pressure on your knees. It doesn't happen from your back at all?

I know trying to lock down on a triangle from a poor angle can cause knee pressure. You might need adjust

It's fine from my back. Basically people are rocking side-to-side once they're locked up, and it's hurting on the side where my ankles are. Actually, now that I think about it, it's my ankles being crushed into the floor while they're entangled, and in turn that's causing knee pressure like I'm heelhooking myself.

I suppose I could push the back of the elbow as a wedge to stop pressure going that way... and I only just noticed that Ryan leans out to finish, so maybe I'll try to do the whole thing with a bit of a lean to it, away from the direction that's causing me pain.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's kinda tough to finish a mounted triangle without at least going over to your side anyway. You don't have to go all the way to your back.

I hadn't thought of that. I'll try it on the side, too.

Kekekela posted:

I've seen it taught where you don't actually lock your foot behind the opposite knee to lock in the figure four on your legs, instead just positioning the foot adjacent to the knee. You can still get the triangle pressure here with no chance of blowing your knees out.

I will also give this a spin. I often just finish with a kimura on the trapped arm, so this would be fine for that.

A Wry Smile posted:

I think you might be taking it a little too far with the dominant position thing. I think it's okay to trade in mount for a win if you have a sub already locked in and you're just looking for the leverage to finish it. This applies to mounted guillotines, triangles, spiral armbars, kneebahs... So you might have to compromise a little on your principles for the sake of your physical longevity (or choose a different mount attack) if they're thrashing so hard against your knees from inside the triangle. I personally think that's just the flow of the game, and the secret is that most likely when you've got your sub all locked up and they manage to force in a defense as you drop back to finish it, you will have suitable compensation available. Maybe there's another sub in reach, maybe it's just a sweep back to top, maybe a back take, but when the momentum/positional initiative is on your side, you can just sort of trust in that not to let you go from 2 steps ahead to 2 steps behind all in one shot.

So I transition from mount... to a mounted triangle which is just about the most secure position it's possible to be in... then I roll over... I gently caress it up... I've lost the sub, I've lost dominant position, I'm probably getting passed and if it's MMA I'm getting punched in the face. I feel like the potential rewards are not worth the (admittedly small) risk of losing everything.

Also, the wizard forbids it. He will not let it pass.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

It's fine from my back. Basically people are rocking side-to-side once they're locked up, and it's hurting on the side where my ankles are. Actually, now that I think about it, it's my ankles being crushed into the floor while they're entangled, and in turn that's causing knee pressure like I'm heelhooking myself.

I suppose I could push the back of the elbow as a wedge to stop pressure going that way... and I only just noticed that Ryan leans out to finish, so maybe I'll try to do the whole thing with a bit of a lean to it, away from the direction that's causing me pain.

I hadn't thought of that. I'll try it on the side, too.

I will also give this a spin. I often just finish with a kimura on the trapped arm, so this would be fine for that.

So I transition from mount... to a mounted triangle which is just about the most secure position it's possible to be in... then I roll over... I gently caress it up... I've lost the sub, I've lost dominant position, I'm probably getting passed and if it's MMA I'm getting punched in the face. I feel like the potential rewards are not worth the (admittedly small) risk of losing everything.

Also, the wizard forbids it. He will not let it pass.

Do you also have a weird reluctance to finish armbars from your back? It just sounds like your problem is having a bad triangle and not anything to do with maintaining a dominant position, if anything you should be going to your back to finish the triangle more so you can improve.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 20, 2015

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

So you go from mount, to a mounted triangle. It shouldn't matter if they then roll you, because they're in a triangle and it's locked on.

That's not sacrificing a dominant position for a bad one, unless, like Mechafunkzilla says, your triangle is sloppy and they can just get out. They should be A-Grade hosed once that's locked up, mount or not.

Also, why not an armbar from triangle rather than the kimura? Seems easier to me.

quidditch it and quit it fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 20, 2015

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Messed up my ear yesterday rolling so I'm thinking about picking up a wrestling headguard. Any suggestions on brands/what to look for?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I like the Cliff Keen F5 Tornado. It was the headgear I used when my ears were banged up. I don't current use headgear any more though.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Just don't get anything with hard plastic or your training partners will hate your guts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mongmonghi
Mar 1, 2006

LMBO LOOK AT DAT FUKKEN METEOR
I have been training Muay Thai for 3 years now but I feel I am a natural grappler when I fight.
So apart clinching I pretty much suffer in all other aspects of the martial art, now that I might change the city where I live in and I think in the city where I am moving there will be respectable MMA or Brazilian Jiu jitsu trainers, I was thinking about switching.
So my question is, is it better to go for pure B JJ or MMA training?
I am not intrested in the competitive aspect of the arts, I am more into the gymnastics and the arts themselves, I wanted to train Muay Thai in order to avoid all the spiritual martial art psychos that tend to flood the dojos where I live.. So what do you suggest guys?

• Locked thread