Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mark Steel is a Correct Comedian and I like him for that.

Forums Terrorist posted:

I forget, was TinTower the resident libdem here

Correct, our resident Liberal AND resident student politics expert. It's like a double whammy of shame.

Top shout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
The independent states the staggeringly obvious:

Almost no one who lives in a privately rented house actually wants to be there

quote:

The vast majority of tenants living in homes privately rented from landlords would not be there if they had a choice, new research has established.

A survey of private renters found that 74 per cent were living in houses owned by landlords because they couldn’t get access to social housing or couldn’t afford to buy a home of their own.

The study, conducted by the housing charity Shelter, found that only 17 per cent of tenants said they actually preferred renting their home from a landlord.

The findings come despite it being official government policy to push for more people to live in the private rented sector.

Housing minister Brandon Lewis said last year that the Government wanted to create a “larger rental sector” by making sure it remained deregulated.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I mean if it were me I'd wear a take the train (cash) to Bala or Aberdeen or somewhere like that, pay a taxi driver (cash) to take me to the foot of some mountain in Snowdonia / the Cairngorms and just wander off into the wilds and go camping for a week.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
They're all crawling out of the woodwork today:

If you consider yourself a liberal then there is only one party in Britain left for you

quote:

As Nick Clegg's speechwriter I watched in horror as the Liberal Democrats were reduced to rubble at the last election, but with your help the party can rebuild

I won’t sugar coat it – it’s been a crap year for liberals. Whether you’re a Lib Dem, a liberal in the Labour Party, or even one in the Conservative Party (yes, they exist, I’ve met them), you have nothing to celebrate.

Lib Dems like me spent the summer licking our wounds after receiving a right royal kicking. Tory liberals spent it watching their own party punishing the poor, threatening the BBC, vilifying refugees and trying to bring back fox hunting. Labour’s liberals spent it losing their party.

It’s all very grim. But no day was grimmer than 8 May 2015.

We had known we were going take a shoeing, but we didn’t expect to be beaten within an inch of our lives.

At around 4am I was with Nick Clegg in a huge Sheffield sports centre. The gym hosted the counts of all five Sheffield seats and, given the other four are Labour strongholds, it was crammed with dozens of Labour activists.

As we waited for the Sheffield Hallam result, all of a sudden a huge roar went round the room. The BBC had just confirmed one of the big scalps of the night – Vince Cable had been defeated in Twickenham.

But he hadn’t been beaten by the Labour candidate. These Labour footsoldiers were cheering like a football crowd at the most left-wing member of the government, a man who fought the Conservatives every day in coalition, losing his seat to a Conservative.

They were cheering a result which signalled that the Tories were on course for a majority when a few hours earlier it still looked possible that Ed Miliband could be Prime Minister.

A couple of hours earlier, I had been in Nick Clegg’s flat in south west Sheffield working with him on his resignation speech: a robust defence of British liberalism even as the brutal scale of its collapse was revealing itself.

Over the following weeks I did a lot of grieving and a lot of soul-searching. I watched the party that I love reduced to rubble. I feared for the liberal cause that I believe in. I worried that a Tory majority would make our country a meaner, smaller and less welcoming place.

But I was also angry at the boorish tribalism of the Labour Party.

Those footsoldiers who cheered Vince Cable’s defeat are the same ones who called Liz Kendall a Tory and treated Blairites like sex offenders. It’s their party now.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

Haha, Jesus. It's groundhog day for the lib Dems, all poking their noses out of their little caves to see which way the weathers turning.

As a pro-Corbyn data analyst, I crunched the numbers on the shadow cabinet here:

http://i.imgur.com/uHqbSoSh.jpg

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007
Don't join a re-energised Labour Party if you want to make a difference, our MPs are at least united in purpose: going to The Strangers bar, buying drink after drink and staring into the middle distance, desperately waiting for the sweet release of death. Radical centre. Outrageous conformity. Totally out-there normcore. Exciting irrelevance. 8 is enough. In the age of austerity, what we need is a small but vibrant party that says: "errm well I dunno about that but I'm not too keen on this either?"

Join the Lib Dems: 17 members and counting!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

51.6% is more gender-equal than 50%?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

tooterfish posted:

Hahaha yes this is technically correct, 50% is more equal, I think the word you're looking for is "female representative"

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Even I credit the Labour right with slightly more intelligence then to run off to join the tories, lib-dems or split. There's a couple the I could see joining UKIP, but it's been offered to them before and it didn't happen. No, they'll wait to the 2016 elections and knife Jez in the back if it's a massive lose or even only a small win.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

tooterfish posted:

It's hard to get male female at 50% each with 31 spots available. Maybe a eunuch or gender fluid could take a spot to ensure balance.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

JFairfax posted:

It's hard to get male female at 50% each with 31 spots available. Maybe a eunuch or gender fluid could take a spot to ensure balance.

Get a man and a woman to job share one post?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Offer Tristram Hunt a position on the condition you get to cut his balls off.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Just offer it to someone who defines as agender.

e: Wait, no, the government just restated its ban on anyone doing that. Eh, do it anyway.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Get a man and a woman to job share one post?

a job share? pffft what sort of hippy dippy flexitime utopia do you think this is?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Igiari posted:

Don't join a re-energised Labour Party if you want to make a difference, our MPs are at least united in purpose: going to The Strangers bar, buying drink after drink and staring into the middle distance, desperately waiting for the sweet release of death. Radical centre. Outrageous conformity. Totally out-there normcore. Exciting irrelevance. 8 is enough. In the age of austerity, what we need is a small but vibrant party that says: "errm well I dunno about that but I'm not too keen on this either?"

Join the Lib Dems: 17 members and counting!

:psylon:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Why is it that everyone that self identifies as 'liberal' have the same smug photo?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you didn't HATE FREEDOM you would look like that too.

RobotNinjaHornets
Dec 30, 2012

Zephro posted:

Hang on, they gave a bunch of actors / dodgy private detectives access to the ANPR database? Like, that's a thing they actually did?

Having not watched it, the only thing I really know about it is that one of the hunter people was someone on my course at uni. Last I heard he was working as a dev for a pretty big internet security company, so it might not be quite as bad as it seems. At the very least, they're not actors.

Though again I haven't watched it so I have no idea. Guy was pretty smart though.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

OwlFancier posted:

If you didn't HATE FREEDOM you would look like that too.

Alas, I am not enlightened by my own self-righteousness intelligence, and so am not quite that euphoric.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Coohoolin posted:

I'd use my underground network of anarchists and agitators to vanish off the face of the earth.

Or just gently caress off to America. What's GCHQ gonna do, start scouring the Arizona desert?

There was actually a pretty interesting article on the Beeb a while back about criminals hiding on the Appalachian Trail, since there's this tradition of adopting "trail names" and not asking about people's real world lives.

The fella in question was a well-liked lodge worker for several years iirc.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

Just offer it to someone who defines as agender.

e: Wait, no, the government just restated its ban on anyone doing that. Eh, do it anyway.

"We have to do something about these people and their ... agender."

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Corbyn is so nice he even offers to make cameramen tea

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/jeremy-corbyn-offered-cup-tea-10087727

Unsurprisingly Cameron blanks the peons

quote:

The pair met almost two years ago on a two-day visit to China, where Dai travelled on the PM's plane and fitted microphones on him.

"I was on his battle bus just before the election too," Dai said.

"I got nothing from him. Not even a good morning.

"Normally when you put microphones on them you get some basic conversation. I certainly wouldn't have expected a cup of tea but a good morning would have been nice.

"You can judge people by how they treat people they don't need."

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Seeing a lot of people upset at the Mike Watson appointment... Another lord on the front benches, and something to do with a hotel?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Ddraig posted:

quote:

"Normally when you put microphones on them you get some basic conversation. I certainly wouldn't have expected a cup of tea but a good morning would have been nice.
This isn't fair, maybe he was still booting up?

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Ddraig posted:

Corbyn is so nice he even offers to make cameramen tea

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/jeremy-corbyn-offered-cup-tea-10087727

Smug posh entitled oval office acts like one, hardly a shocker.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I read the rules of the game and you have to keep moving, new grid square per day (proved by 3 landline telephone calls) and you can't go back into the same grid squares. You have to complete "daily tasks" or at least try, and live on £60 a day. No sleeping rough no private cars and a whole list of other stuff that makes things pretty inconvenient.

Not very clear at all on what info the tracker gets, but my tactic would be taking a bunch of public transport all day while reading books, sleeping and listening to music, while visiting the wonders of a new BnB every evening. £30 lodgings and breakfast, make a call then a basic rover ticket for a bus, figure out task, sit in library or on a bus or wherever, make a call, get something to eat, make a call, do some shopping, use rover ticket to get you to the next town, something to eat, new BnB, process starts again.

Sounds like an extended crap holiday really, if you managed to save up a bit so you could get on the old megabus now and then, you could probably see some nice places and get around the country, finding out where the worst BnB's are (it's Southend). £1000 per day for a few weeks? That would keep me in Laphroaig for awhile...

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

Seeing a lot of people upset at the Mike Watson appointment... Another lord on the front benches, and something to do with a hotel?

He went to prison for setting fire to some curtains as a drunken lark.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I think I'd dress up as a woman.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think you'll find dressing up as a woman when you don't identify as one is actually kinda insulting

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I think Watson is an admitted alcoholic and started the fire after he got cut off at the bar.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

kustomkarkommando posted:

He went to prison for setting fire to some curtains as a drunken lark.

Ahaha what a prick. Come on Corbyn.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JFairfax posted:

I think you'll find dressing up as a woman when you don't identify as one is actually kinda insulting
Full drag has a long tradition and if pissflaps wants to dress up as a woman without identifying as one then I'll gladly go to the karaoke night he's doing it for.

The only people who tend to liken it to blackface are also TERFs, and they're awful.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

kustomkarkommando posted:

I think Watson is an admitted alcoholic and started the fire after he got cut off at the bar.

good lad

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Setting curtains on fire is a long way from loving children.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
what if it's to smoke the children out?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Were the curtains fancy?

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
He's also served time for it, which is more than can be said for the substantially similar behaviour of members of the Bullingdon Club.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Nigel Farage hits out at London's Uber drivers

Voice of the people Nige criticising Uber's business practices, evasion of regulation, and pushing all of the risk and burden onto the working people who drive the cabs?

Nigel Farage, the Ukip leader, has complained that many Uber drivers can’t speak English, play loud music and don’t know their way around London.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

EmptyVessel posted:

He's also served time for it, which is more than can be said for the substantially similar behaviour of members of the Bullingdon Club.

Yeah, he served his time. That should be the end of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

baka kaba posted:

The bit I saw yesterday had some guy they were trying to paint as some master villain who was toying with them, and they went to a friend's house and asked her if she'd been in contact. She said no and left the room, they planted a camera to spy on her

Is that kind of thing even legal?

• Locked thread