Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I work at a PR/design/web agency. Every now and then I wear a boring grey t-shirt that has nothing on it except the word "Helvetica". In comic sans. :v:

I got the entire range of reactions out of it, from :thumbsup: to :ughh:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I don't have any suggestions but congrats on the new job. How is it compared to the old hell hole you got out of? Has your old boss called in a panic yet?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Truga posted:

I work at a PR/design/web agency. Every now and then I wear a boring grey t-shirt that has nothing on it except the word "Helvetica". In comic sans. :v:

lol, I am not a fan of t-shirts with poo poo on them, but that's a pretty good one.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

i work at a software development company with a handful of gearheads and i wear this shirt sometimes

only six or seven people understand it :smith:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

nielsm posted:

4 GB just so happens to be the largest number 32 bit can represent. So the free size is supposed to be represented as a 64 bit number.
However, if you take 48.3 GB represented as a 64 bit number, and chop off the high 32 bit, truncating it to a 32 bit number, you instead get a value that looks like 300 MB.

48.3 GB = 0x0000000C'12C00000 bytes
Truncate the upper 32 bit = 0x12C00000 bytes = 314572800 bytes = 300 MB

IOW. idiot programmers stuck in 1995.

Hey programmer buddy :hfive:

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

MJP posted:

I can't be the first sysadmin in this situation. I've worked with Varonis DatAdvantage in the past and really liked it - what I couldn't put together on my own, I was able to do with their support.

Any suggestions?

DatAdvantage was going to be my suggestion.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

This was supposed to go in the IT thread, I'm going to copy and paste there, but more visibility is always good :)

If anyone has patience for a wall-o-text and wants to help a newer sysadmin... please read on :)

We just ran into an issue in our environment that we're slightly stumped on, and have some ideas, but I'd like to throw it out here to see if more experienced goons can offer some suggestions.

A little background on our environment: We have 2200ish remote servers spread across the US, they run 2012 R2 and within hyper-V they host a single 2003 guest. We had 2 datacenters with 2 DCs each, we just opened up 2 new datacenters with 6 DCs, 2 physical and 4 VMs. We added the first set of 3 DCs a week or 2 ago, and we just added the second set of 3 DCs on Monday night.

Our issue is this, since tuesday morning we've had issues with a small amount of servers (5-10), with seemingly nothing in common other than this issue (and the fact that configuration of all those servers is standardized), get stuck booting each day. When you view the guest through hyper-v it's sitting at "applying computer settings". We have had some repeat offenders, but some brand new ones each day. Only 1 server has had the issue persist tuesday through today. This issue results in both local and domain logons not working (because the server is stuck) and our workaround is to disable the NIC via hyper-V, bounce the machine, and re-enable the NIC once the server boots; at this point local logons work and domain logons generally do not work, or less often will take an hour or more to actually login. We also have some 2012 R2 guests in our QA environment and we have the same problem with them, so it's not specific to 2003. Obviously, something happened when we threw up the last set of DCs, but since we are decomming the original 2 datacenters ASAP (once this issue is resolved) we are hoping to fix this rather than slash and burn, also change management stuff sucks.

Prior to last night AD sites and services has 5 sites, our 4 datacenters which each hold their respective DCs+subnets and then our 5th site is the 2200 remote machines and their respective subnets. After research we realzied this was causing the site with 3 DCs and first in the alphabet to take the brunt of the work, so we moved 1 DC from each datacenter site into our remote server site, hoping that would fix the problem, but it didn't. What that did fix is it offloaded the LDAP/Kerberos authentications to all 4 datacenters (1 DC from each) and now they're doing round robbin instead of hammering the single datacenter. All sites are linked properly etc.

It doesn't (seem) to be an issue with DNS, dcdiag comes up clean on our top level DCs. We've just enabled verbose netlogon logging and verbose userserv logging. Everything I'm seeing is that this is either DNS or GP related due to our symptoms, but I would expect our incidents to be much greater than a handful a day. I do see errors processing group policy on our guest VMs sometimes and sometimes they have issues seeing the domain all together, but not all of the problem servers have the errors. What else should I be looking at to rule out or point the finger at DNS/GP, and what else can I log/etc to narrow the problem down? Part of the issue is that I can't just wildly reboot during the day and can't make changes etc without approval.

Holy gently caress :words: thanks in advance for anyone that takes the time to read this.

*edit* also don't bash us for having 2003, we're in the process of converting to 2012 R2 on our guest images too, these new datacenters are the first piece of the puzzle.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 18, 2015

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I don't have any suggestions but congrats on the new job. How is it compared to the old hell hole you got out of? Has your old boss called in a panic yet?

Does any boss actually do this? I've seen many mentions in this thread of "be sure you mention your consulting rate" but I've really never seen anyone post about getting called for it.

The new job is worlds apart. I feel like I'm in a pod. I'm trying desperately to find de-podding material to confirm that this is real. There has to be a catch.

Hours: 8-4. As in come in at 8, done by 4.

The salary is a $20k boost, roughly 20% up, and a title boost too. A chunk of that is lost to commute but I can use my scooter when it's warm so I save on parking at the station.

The dress code is jeans. T-shirts are fine. I wore a shirt with no collar for the first time in my professional career, all 11 years of it, to the office just a few weeks ago. I wear them on Fridays simply because I still can't believe it's kosher and it seems appropriate to look semi-professional, but it's a freaking New York radio station. I could wear T-shirts every day if I wanted to.

Nobody else in the group that correlates to IT comes in until around 10ish. I'm the first one in. My boss usually arrives 10:30.

The boss is a chill dude, zero Manager in him, and his policy on spending money: "expense what you need, but if it's big, let me know before budget planning time and if you can make a case, so will I"

The co-workers are all radio nerds first and foremost, as in since we're a radio station, they picked up IT stuff as necessary.

We are a branch office, not corporate HQ. This is the first time in my career that I have not worked in a location that was the company headquarters or only location. The corporate IT people don't instantly reply to Lync IMs but they do reply, and they are not jerks who do naught but delegate the work to us.

The environment is fairly well-documented. We have solidly set policies, build docs, etc. My boss gave me leave to shoot down password reset requests and force the people to open tickets at which point the desktop support guy will handle them.

I've left work at 3:45 PM, 3:50ish, to increase the chances of an earlier train out of Newark, thus drastically shortening my return commute.

I've been tasked with stuff that is either at my skill level or within my ability to research and do.

The food around the office is insanely varied and inexpensive. There are four or five food trucks (six if you count Rafiqi's, which I don't, but that's because I'm biased against street meat unless it's Famous Halal Guys or Kwik Meal) a block away daily, MacDougal is a 15-minute walk (holy poo poo the $5 banh mi I had yesterday).

I have my choice of whether I want my desk to be in this big open space area, with my boss catty-corner far away, or in the bullpen with the other IT guys, which is cluttered in old radio equipment and full of nerdy poo poo.

There is so much promotional liquor around. There's a case of Skyy bottles in the office supplies cage.

We got to demolish two obsolete server racks with a Sawzall yesterday.

There is no on-call.

I haven't checked my email outside of hours. There is no expectation for me to do so.

I refuse to believe I finally found a pod. I've lurked this thread since at least 2010. It's never truly a pod.

BTW, they still haven't figured out why disabling or changing my domain admin PW at the last job completely fucks over the desktop environment. I can still log in with it. :stare:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I did for my old webhosting sysadmin job. I just laughed and hung up.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

MJP posted:

Does any boss actually do this? I've seen many mentions in this thread of "be sure you mention your consulting rate" but I've really never seen anyone post about getting called for it.
I've been gone from my last job for almost 5 years now and I still to this day get the occasional call.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MJP posted:

Had it happen once years and years ago. Charged them an insane amount of money for about 20 hours of work spread out over a month. Felt good.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

MJP posted:

Ha yes, yes they do. Last place I left on fairly good terms, was just tired of being overworked and they paid me a good contractor rate to finish some things up. The job before I left on really good terms with and would answer the occasional call or email if it didn't involve to much work. Didnt get paid for that but still got the invite to tag along to events and got good references out of it.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

MJP posted:

I got called three times from my old job. One was to replace a laptop screen, one was to install a new firewall. I charged them $150 an hour with a two hour minimum to do the work.

They balked at the pay and said they'd never call me again, and they haven't. Now they get a regional company to do all their work for $600 an hour minimum 4 hours.

I wrote about the third call I got. The old parts manager didn't know I quit after almost 6 months or so and called to tell me to come fix his computer. He wouldn't believe me that I didn't work there anymore and then screamed "Quit jerking me off and come fix my loving computer."

I did, and then sent them a bill for $300.

You should have heard the call I got from the GM about that one.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'd probably tell the guy to go gently caress himself even if it means not getting that $300.

edit: I don't have children, but I can see eating poo poo if the money was needed.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GreenNight posted:

I'd probably tell the guy to go gently caress himself even if it means not getting that $300.

Yeah, even if they were gonna pay me cash up front I wouldn't do it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

deep impact on vhs posted:

i work at a software development company with a handful of gearheads and i wear this shirt sometimes

only six or seven people understand it :smith:

and when you go backwards into the tree erupting in a fireball, it's a Porsche.

A ticket came in:

"All of our VM's are down. Thank you."
Happy friday.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

MJP posted:

The new job is worlds apart. I feel like I'm in a pod. I'm trying desperately to find de-podding material to confirm that this is real. There has to be a catch.

[benefits]

Can you get our good buddy larchesdanrew a job?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

$15,000 later we got all our data back. I've worked almost 60 hours this week and my boss pulled two 40-hour days.

114 open tickets :(

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It will be regarded as a bargain in the years to come.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Sirotan posted:

$15,000 later we got all our data back. I've worked almost 60 hours this week and my boss pulled two 40-hour days.

Happy Friday.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Sirotan posted:

Did you get a root cause for the failure in the first place? Sorry if you already mentioned, I can't remember.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Aunt Beth posted:

Did you get a root cause for the failure in the first place? Sorry if you already mentioned, I can't remember.

Bitbucket overflowed.

EDIT: Haha what the gently caress is this?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

GreenNight posted:

edit: I don't have children, but I can see eating poo poo if the money was needed.

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, even if they were gonna pay me cash up front I wouldn't do it.

It wasn't really that I needed the money for that third one; it was about getting one final "gently caress you" in.

At first, it was about the money. After five years of being paid minimum wage to modernize and automate their entire IT infrastructure I had to quit for a year to finish school and then they refused to hire me back because "we don't need an IT department." I was desperately seeking a job for half a year and doing lovely substitute teacher work for $50 a day (and then only once or twice a week).

After the first two calls, I just figured I'd be their go-to IT guy when they needed stuff, and I was fine with that. But they wanted me to do it for the minimum wage they had been paying me before. My price was absolutely fair, and a fraction of what anyone else in the area would have done it for.

So after their big tantrum and them saying they'd never call me again for trying to screw them I get the call from the old parts manager. He certainly had no idea I quit, but he also had the ability to approve spending, so it was absolutely an opportunity to flip them the bird one final time.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Migishu posted:

Can you get our good buddy larchesdanrew a job?

We're not hiring but if we were, and if he was willing to relocate to the NY/NJ metro area (which everyone should, because it's the best) I would hook him up in a heartbeat.

larches, you should just save up a nest egg and rent for a while here while you job hunt then bring the family over, it's a high cost of living but computer janitor and sysadmin salaries are high enough to match.

Hell, you can couch surf for a week or so at my place if you want. Or just bring an air mattress, I'll get you a card to the building where my office is, there's space to spare in the pod.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

Bitbucket overflowed.

EDIT: Haha what the gently caress is this?

Better than a spec bucket overflow.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
A ticket came in: How do I send a text message?

:catstare:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Aunt Beth posted:

Better than a spec bucket overflow.

:gonk:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

A ticket came in: How do I send a text message?

:catstare:

Reply with "Congrats!" *ticket closed*

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Page 666 should just be Inspector_666 posting about his new gig.

Or post the worst horror stories you got.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Can I post the one about the guy that hung himself and was up there so long that he sort of decapitated himself?

EDIT: Oh you meant I.T. horror stories. This was from my 911 gig. :blush:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

kensei posted:

Page 666 should just be Inspector_666 posting about his new gig.

Or post the worst horror stories you got.

:3:

I don't start until the 28th though, not much to tell.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Dick Trauma posted:

Can I post the one about the guy that hung himself and was up there so long that he sort of decapitated himself?

EDIT: Oh you meant I.T. horror stories. This was from my 911 gig. :blush:

Did it happen in an server closet?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

larchesdanrew posted:

10 minute story about all the totally work related things they were doing, then 5 minutes about how it's keeping them from doing anything. Then you ask what the message actually said.

"Oh, I don't know, I clicked it off before I could read it FIX IT"
Same for the people who insist on reading off everything on the IE "Page Cannot Be Displayed" page. Bonus if they start telling you about how they clicked the Troubleshoot Network Connections link and how that went.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've got a quick one for page 666!

When I lived and worked in Western Alaska we had an office that was in an old old building built around 1900 or so. It had at various times been a hospital psych ward, a Catholic run orphanage, and then finally offices. Anyway people there used to complain about ghosts and hauntings and what not. When we would have issues there they would complain about how it was the ghosts or this place was cursed and how they dont feel safe working there. Finally the old IT director got sick of it and convinced the priest at his church to stop by and perform a blessing or something. This was all before my time but apparently it was a big deal, like long term employees refusing to move over to that building if an office had to move.

edit: drat still at 665

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I've got a quick one for page 666!

When I lived and worked in Western Alaska we had an office that was in an old old building built around 1900 or so. It had at various times been a hospital psych ward, a Catholic run orphanage, and then finally offices. Anyway people there used to complain about ghosts and hauntings and what not. When we would have issues there they would complain about how it was the ghosts or this place was cursed and how they dont feel safe working there. Finally the old IT director got sick of it and convinced the priest at his church to stop by and perform a blessing or something. This was all before my time but apparently it was a big deal, like long term employees refusing to move over to that building if an office had to move.

edit: drat still at 665

Haha yeah if only someone would post

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Potato Alley posted:

Haha yeah if only someone would post

enough times

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.