Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Riven posted:

Oh definitely. But until the revolution comes I'm getting my wife a pink iPhone that blocks ads.

I'm legit angry that the pink iPhone is now a lovely "rose gold" and not the fantastic clicky plastic pink of the 5c. I completely understand the reasons for not doing this, and that the 5c was really about pushing people to the 5s, but they totally ruled. It'll never happen but if Apple added a plastic case option to their flagship phone it would really make my day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Oh sorry it doesn't actually close the apps it just mimics the home button and if you slid up slow it'd bring up the multi-tasking.

Ahh, that does sound cool. I'd never jailbreak my phone but I like that stuff like that is around.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Will be featured in the next ios I'm sure

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Oh sorry it doesn't actually close the apps it just mimics the home button and if you slid up slow it'd bring up the multi-tasking.

Ok last one I swear, is there a swipeselect equivalent? When you're typing you can side your finger left or right on the keyboard and it moves the cursor

Long press anywhere with two fingers then swipe. http://www.iphonetricks.org/ios-9-trick-to-control-keyboard-cursor/

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Apparently the guy behind Peace has pulled it from sale and is refusing to support it in the future.

http://www.marco.org/2015/09/18/just-doesnt-feel-good

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Was removed for the iPhone in iOS 9 GM. (Unless you have a 6s, in which case force pushing the screen will allow you to trigger this mode, apparently.). Still works on iPad.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Teddybear posted:

Apparently the guy behind Peace has pulled it from sale and is refusing to support it in the future.

Shitshow incoming. It sounds like from Twitter this was prompted by a lot of outcry from a number of tech journalists (Nilay Patel of The Verge in particular) and Ghostery also pulling out. Get your refund and move quickly to Purify/Crystal I guess.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Teddybear posted:

Funny that he didn't consider this in the (presumably more than a week) time spent developing/testing the app. I actually sort of think he got a lot of pressure from his publisher friends (Gruber, etc) about it. Note the conspicuously absent link to Peace on DF.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

maduin posted:

Funny that he didn't consider this in the (presumably more than a week) time spent developing/testing the app. I actually sort of think he got a lot of pressure from his publisher friends (Gruber, etc) about it. Note the conspicuously absent link to Peace on DF.

Huh? Gruber in particular often talks about the merits of content blockers, even noting that that ads for the sake of ads is a poor media strategy in 2015.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Slowhanded posted:

Shitshow incoming. It sounds like from Twitter this was prompted by a lot of outcry from a number of tech journalists (Nilay Patel of The Verge in particular) and Ghostery also pulling out. Get your refund and move quickly to Purify/Crystal I guess.

I just bought peace this morning...

How do I go about getting a refund? Never had to on iTunes before.

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

Teddybear posted:

I see where he's coming from, but he must have made a shitload of money in the past 24 hours, and I can't imagine many of the people who bought will try to get a refund.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

He's come out and said any content blocker that blocks unobtrusive ads (The Deck, which advertises on DF, for example) is wrong. Peace blocked these.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

badjohny posted:

I just bought peace this morning...

How do I go about getting a refund? Never had to on iTunes before.

I haven't done this yet (can't be bothered to during work hours), but this is the guide he linked.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

maduin posted:

He's come out and said any content blocker that blocks unobtrusive ads (The Deck, which advertises on DF, for example) is wrong. Peace blocked these.

Thanks for that — I didn't actually see it blocked The Deck; just saw the Marco post on it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Kalman posted:

Was removed for the iPhone in iOS 9 GM. (Unless you have a 6s, in which case force pushing the screen will allow you to trigger this mode, apparently.). Still works on iPad.

I was wondering why I couldn’t trigger it, figured it was error on my end. That’s complete loving horseshit.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

maduin posted:

I think he thought it would be a small side project, not the top paid app in the App Store, and he wasn't prepared for that. It's sort of a Flappy Bird situation. Whenever something becomes something everyone has you have to think about a lot more than "is this what I want it to do" when designing something and that clearly didn't happen with Peace.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

The Devil Tesla posted:

I think he thought it would be a small side project, not the top paid app in the App Store, and he wasn't prepared for that. It's sort of a Flappy Bird situation. Whenever something becomes something everyone has you have to think about a lot more than "is this what I want it to do" when designing something and that clearly didn't happen with Peace.

I don't know... He was licensing Ghostery's database and rushed it out the door to compete with all of the other content blockers. He's an incredibly smart guy with a ton of iOS development/App Store experience and definitely knew an app with the hottest new app category with his name behind it would explode. I have to think external pressure (specifically from the crazy Apple journalist circle) got to him.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

maduin posted:

I don't know... He was licensing Ghostery's database and rushed it out the door to compete with all of the other content blockers. He's an incredibly smart guy with a ton of iOS development/App Store experience and definitely knew an app with the hottest new app category with his name behind it would explode. I have to think external pressure (specifically from the crazy Apple journalist circle) got to him.

The marketing of Peace was real weird tho, all thinkpieces and it was a $3 buck app in a world where most apps are free. There was only one screenshot on the app store and it was a settings screen! I think that if he wanted it to be the big success it became it would be an Overcast style free to download and pay to unlock the big features. Compare that to the hard sell that Crystal puts on you.

Marco is close to the Apple press, and I think that if he saw this as his big new project something would have clicked in his head that said "I'm going to make millions pissing off my biggest supporters" and it never would have came out. The take away from all this is that Marco is a real weirdo.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Are these blockers only for Safari? I installed Crystal earlier because it was free (apparently it's not anymore?), but I'm watching last night's episode of Colbert's Late Show on the CBS app and there are just as many ads as there would ever be.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Are these blockers only for Safari? I installed Crystal earlier because it was free (apparently it's not anymore?), but I'm watching last night's episode of Colbert's Late Show on the CBS app and there are just as many ads as there would ever be.

Only Safari and Safari View Controller.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

On a side note, Apple most certainly will not create a end user API to control advertising served up by iAd. The addition of content blockers on Safari if nothing else reiterates Apple's stance of "build native or don't bother trying to monetize on our platform".

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm using Freedom, since I didn't get Crystal for free. It's also free (heh) and blocks all the ads I've seen. I'm sure there will be a much better ad blocker over the next few weeks, like Adblock Plus, but Freedom works nicely for now. https://appsto.re/us/PIMN9.i

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 18, 2015

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Just tried freedom and the first site I went to had Walmart ads, so not super impressed.

E: force closing safari made Walmart leave me alone

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Is there a voice chat app that can auto-answer calls from trusted friends?

I'd like to leave old 4S hidden away and running as an audio gateway into a Clearcom intercom system. That way I can join in and talk/listen remotely from my phone.

Skype only has auto-answer on its desktop clients. I've found links suggesting maybe Hangouts used to be able to, but not now.

I've considered something room-based like Mumble or TeamSpeak, but having to run a local server to get a private room won't really work.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Teddybear posted:

Absolutely getting a refund. There's no way I'm going to support this kind of chuckle-fuckery. I don't care if he is a weirdo, he's had weeks or more to think this over.

This is just stupid. Fine. Someone else gets my money.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

maduin posted:

There's no such thing as an unobtrusive ad on a 5" screen. Sorry this dude got yelled at by his Silicon Valley friends, though:

https://twitter.com/reckless/status/644918408853737472

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

There's no such thing as an unobtrusive ad on a 5" screen. Sorry this dude got yelled at by his Silicon Valley friends, though:

https://twitter.com/reckless/status/644918408853737472

As always, Nilay shows what a class act he is.

I hope all that Comcast money can help assuage the angst he feels.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

flosofl posted:

Ah, the famous "I wear this spiked armband to remind myself I'm not just a suit," in response to a photo of him wearing a spiked armband, while wearing a full suit

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Many payment gateways cancel merchant accounts if enough people seek refunds. I really hope iTunes follows the same policy.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

@marcoarment posted:

If buyers want to keep using the app, it’ll probably work for a pretty long time, with the auto-updater getting new trackers periodically.

I guess I'm okay with not getting a refund if it'll probably work until at least iOS 10, but man, you would think he would have thought this through a bit.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

cbirdsong posted:

I guess I'm okay with not getting a refund if it'll probably work until at least iOS 10, but man, you would think he would have thought this through a bit.

Get a refund now. The block lists won't be updated so even if the software still works it will be like trying to cure AIDS with penicillin. Buy Purify, it's way faster than peace and does cool layout tricks to even vanish the spot the ad was

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

chaosbreather posted:

Get a refund now. The block lists won't be updated so even if the software still works it will be like trying to cure AIDS with penicillin. Buy Purify, it's way faster than peace and does cool layout tricks to even vanish the spot the ad was

The tweet in my post says block lists will continue to be updated. The only thing that will stop it is an iOS update breaking the app. It was three dollars. I'll be okay if it stops working in a year.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

cbirdsong posted:

The tweet in my post says block lists will continue to be updated. The only thing that will stop it is an iOS update breaking the app. It was three dollars. I'll be okay if it stops working in a year.

It's a new iOS version, it will be broken before Christmas.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

cbirdsong posted:

If you get the refund, it still will be on your phone (and iTunes if you download it there); it just won't update in the future. Which is the same state you're in with Marco having pulled the app from the store.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

flosofl posted:

I should really find a new site and podcast to listen to. Any recommendations for a podcast similar to the Vergecast?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

keevo posted:

I should really find a new site and podcast to listen to. Any recommendations for a podcast similar to the Vergecast?

The Best Show with Tom Sharpling.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

keevo posted:

I assume since you're in the iOS Apps thread you don't mind if they're Apple focused:

Connected
Accidental Tech Podcast

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Someone made an app to help colorblind people see things like most people do.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

The Devil Tesla posted:

This is a good suggestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

The Devil Tesla posted:

This a hundred times. Having never heard Vergecast, though, I can tell you it's nothing like Vergecast.