Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Basically the game would be a lot better if:

+ Fighters had unlimited maneuvers

+ Rogues got a flat damage bonus

+ Most of the 1/day effects were changed to 1/encounter effects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Smash it Smash hit posted:

I would rather have that swing than everyone doing equal amount of damage in every circumstance - then what would be the point of the different classes

You mean like, "if everyone is special, no one is special"? :troll:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
If rogues are supposed to be safe in melee combat, why wouldn't every other martial be safe as well? Their melee role is really weird and I still think rogues and warriors would be better off merged into one class.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

A Rogue that hits with their main-hand, plus their off-hand, plus their Sneak Attack is roughly equivalent to a Fighter with a two-hander that hits with all their attacks.

If you're a Rogue using your Bonus Action to do TWF regularly, it becomes a LOT harder to convince yourself to take that 2nd level of Rogue. Going Rogue for your first level gives you the most skill proficiencies possible, Thieves' Tools, Expertise, and 1d6 Sneak Attack. I personally fall into the camp that the Rogue archetypes are all pretty bad.

It's a dip class.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

P.d0t posted:

I personally fall into the camp that the Rogue archetypes are all pretty bad. It's a dip class.

They are, and it is, but it's largely by virtue of casters eclipsing their role of "guy who does things with Skills". This was a useful role in like, BECMI, but the flexibility and reliability of spells in modern D&D makes it irrelevant.

In a vacuum, the rogue appears fine. When you start drawing comparisons, it's pretty bad. Would probably play it over a Fighter, though (meaning the whole class, not just dips).

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I enjoy playing as rogue, and found that by playing as a halfling I effectively got my sneak attack bonus in just about every melee situation, since they get to attack with advantage when attacking while adjacent to a friendly creature of medium size or larger. We typically found ourselves somewhat grouped together in close!range combat (and had a fairly lenient DM, to be fair) so I'd be able to just get close enough, sneak attack someone for my 2 or 3d6 and use cunning action to bail pretty easily.

That strategy obviously depends on the situation and how your party winds up laid out, but I never had a problem with lack of sneak attack opportunities.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
You only get access to SA without advantage in melee with an enemy of your enemy, not advantage itself.

Halflings are still good for being able to use allies to hide to get actual advantage w/ cunning action though, or to cancel out disadvantage which otherwise makes it impossible to get SA.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Bluedeanie posted:

I enjoy playing as rogue, and found that by playing as a halfling I effectively got my sneak attack bonus in just about every melee situation, since they get to attack with advantage when attacking while adjacent to a friendly creature of medium size or larger.

This is not a thing halflings can do.

Rogues in general can get sneak attack if there's an ally (or rather, another enemy of the target) next to the target. This does not grant advantage, just sneak attack damage.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

We typically found ourselves somewhat grouped together in close!range combat

This is also a thing that doesn't happen much in 5e. Ranged characters rule the roost.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
I've learned from experience DMing that the "your attacks ignore cover" clauses of the Sharpshooter and Spell Sniper feats are absurdly powerful, especially when most of the party are variant humans just to pick it up, and they also kill the fun a bit by making positioning for ranged combat mindless. Ranged attackers tend to just do more damage with less risk.

I've got one player whose playstyle is just "I'm going to stand as far back as possible and hemorrhage ranged attacks at anything within 600 ft. that doesn't have total cover". It's kind of hard to make things challenging for that guy without making combat all about his character.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Kobold sappers, right under his feet.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Vanguard Warden posted:

I've got one player whose playstyle is just "I'm going to stand as far back as possible and hemorrhage ranged attacks at anything within 600 ft. that doesn't have total cover". It's kind of hard to make things challenging for that guy without making combat all about his character.

My preferred variant is the Street sweeper Warlock: Extended Eldritch Blast + Spell Sniper + Knockback + Magical Darkvision + Darkness.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Vanguard Warden posted:

I've learned from experience DMing that the "your attacks ignore cover" clauses of the Sharpshooter and Spell Sniper feats are absurdly powerful, especially when most of the party are variant humans just to pick it up, and they also kill the fun a bit by making positioning for ranged combat mindless. Ranged attackers tend to just do more damage with less risk.

I see your player has been following SA's own Princes of the Apocalypse PbP :v:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Generic Octopus posted:

They are, and it is, but it's largely by virtue of casters eclipsing their role of "guy who does things with Skills". This was a useful role in like, BECMI, but the flexibility and reliability of spells in modern D&D makes it irrelevant.

Tomb of horrors loses a shitload of its tension after modern powercreep :(

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Smash it Smash hit posted:

i mean its not ideal but, to me, it offers variance. The rogue is good at getting the drop on someone and doing damage, thats his objective. If he cant do it, then he is less useful. I mean I would rather have that swing than everyone doing equal amount of damage in every circumstance - then what would be the point of the different classes if a fighter and rogue similar damage at each stage or situation of combat.
Problems specific to 5e's sneak attack include:

1) The requirements for doing their thing are a formality.
2) The results of doing their thing are boring.
3) Whether or not they get to try to do their thing is not up to them.

If the they can do their sneak attack (not under any conditions, GM not shutting them down) then the Rogue just has to jump through a few verbal hoops to get their damage bonus. Getting or not getting their damage bonus doesn't change their tactics at all, they just do the same thing they would have done otherwise but better/not as well. If they are under conditions or being shut down by the GM, then they can't sneak attack and there's nothing they can do about it. This all adds up to a very boring ability.

A very TotM game approach would be if sneak attack was changed from a prescriptive ability (if you're being sneaky you can do a thing) to a descriptive ability (you attack sneakily, and as such can do things). Because you're a rogue you're always assumed to be being a sneaky dick, so whenever you attack choose to add one of a number of sneaky things to your effects (extra damage from a kidney stab, proned from a knee-jab, sand to the eyes etc).

Or keep it as bonus-damage-under-circumstances, but give the rogue a whole bunch of ways to trigger these circumstances. Then the Rogue's turn becomes not "can I do my extra damage" to "which of the following neato-on-their-own things will I spend my bonus action on to allow for my extra damage". If the guy is already prone/blinded/on fire you get to stab him twice.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Tunicate posted:

Tomb of horrors loses a shitload of its tension after modern powercreep :(

Isn't there a Tomb of Horrors 5e conversion somewhere? I've been running a dumb "detective agency" monster of the week style game for my normal group on Roll20, and it would be fun to pit them against the Tomb of Horrors I think.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Gerdalti posted:

Isn't there a Tomb of Horrors 5e conversion somewhere? I've been running a dumb "detective agency" monster of the week style game for my normal group on Roll20, and it would be fun to pit them against the Tomb of Horrors I think.

Wasn't it run somewhat recently at a convention, and entire parties were wiped out by the sphere of annihilation?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

What does it actually take to build a sphere of annihilation? I'm building an adventure based on the fact Elven conquistadors are about to storm the Incan Dwarf embassy in not-Havana and I'm contemplating what sort of ridiculously OP defense mechanisms it could conceivably have.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Couldn't you generate one with one of those demi-plane inside a pseudo-plane inside a planar-bubble item combinations?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Has anyone written up a "tier" system for 5e Feats? I assume there's more than one on WOTC or GiantITP forums, but :effort:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

P.d0t posted:

Has anyone written up a "tier" system for 5e Feats? I assume there's more than one on WOTC or GiantITP forums, but :effort:

Some class guides have them, since feats can be very class-dependent. Go find a fighter or wizard or whatever guide and you can find a feat breakdown.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

P.d0t posted:

Here's one from GITP.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

P.d0t posted:

You mean like, "if everyone is special, no one is special"? :troll:

Even 4E characters had varying levels of DPR in exchange for other features. Some people on this board seem to think that the game can't be balanced unless everybody is literally doing a flat, equal amount of damage every round.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vanguard Warden posted:

The only campaign of 5e I've played was as a ranger who picked Sharpshooter up at level one as a variant human. A few levels into the game, everyone in the group was talking over how 5e felt to them and I mentioned that I felt like my class didn't really do much special.

"I don't know," said the DM, "Ignoring pretty much all cover seems pretty good, and you use that tons."
"That's from a feat," I said.
"... Oh..."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sailor Viy posted:

Even 4E characters had varying levels of DPR in exchange for other features. Some people on this board seem to think that the game can't be balanced unless everybody is literally doing a flat, equal amount of damage every round.

Splicer posted:

Problems specific to 5e's sneak attack include:

1) The requirements for doing their thing are a formality.
2) The results of doing their thing are boring.
3) Whether or not they get to try to do their thing is not up to them.
In 4e a rogue got their sneak attack when they had combat advantage. The easiest way to do this was flanking. This meant a lot of a rogue's strategies were based around jockeying themselves and the enemies into favourable positions, backed up by a lot of movement based powers and abilities. The rogue ended up dancing around the monsters, luring them all over the room, and setting up neat situations for the other characters. And if that got boring they could also take powers that blinded or proned enemies, which also granted advantage. Sneak attack was used as a carrot to encourage the rogue to Errol Flynn as hard as they could, and the rest of the game gave them the tools to do so. A good sneak attack.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 19, 2015

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009

Splicer posted:

In 4e a rogue got their sneak attack when they had combat advantage. The easiest way to do this was flanking. This meant a lot of a rogue's strategies were based around jockeying themselves and the enemies into favourable positions, backed up by a lot of movement based powers and abilities. The rogue ended up dancing around the monsters, luring them all over the room, and setting up neat situations for the other characters. And if that got boring they could also take powers that blinded or proned enemies, which also granted advantage. Sneak attack was used as a carrot to encourage the rogue to Errol Flynn as hard as they could, and the rest of the game gave them the tools to do so. A good sneak attack.

To further go along with this, in 5e flanking is an optional rule in the DMG.

However, the sneak attack rules give a rogue the chance to sneak attack if someone is "flanking" in everything but name, so it almost works out the same.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Splicer posted:

In 4e a rogue got their sneak attack when they had combat advantage. The easiest way to do this was flanking. This meant a lot of a rogue's strategies were based around :words:

You're missing the fact that CA was also a +2 to hit, so the easiest Sneak Attack state also gives you a better chance to actually do your damage; 5e missed this minor detail and as a non-caster you have almost no way to get Advantage™ other than hiding... and that basically only works on ranged weapon attacks. HMMMM.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Worth noting also that any rogue worth their sneak attack has a bunch of ways of getting CA that don't require flanking.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Or a good controller/leader buddy who can just hand that poo poo out on request.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

captain innocuous posted:

However, the sneak attack rules give a rogue the chance to sneak attack if someone is "flanking" in everything but name, so it almost works out the same.

The big glaring difference is, the Rogue doesn't need to be in melee. They can just shoot at the thing if a friendly is next to it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

P.d0t posted:

You're missing the fact that CA was also a +2 to hit, so the easiest Sneak Attack state also gives you a better chance to actually do your damage; 5e missed this minor detail and as a non-caster you have almost no way to get Advantage™ other than hiding... and that basically only works on ranged weapon attacks. HMMMM.
Flanking also granted that +2 to your flanking partner(s), so where you positioned yourself also dictated who would be getting that sweet, sweet bonus. The point I was trying to get across though was that in 4e the more-damage-in-context classes and abilities had purposes that mutually complimented the game mechanics and flavour. Can the same be said about 5E's sneak attack implementation? While the specifics may not carry well into a TotM system the general ethos definitely can.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 19, 2015

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

A 1d6 shortbow is just as good as a 1d6 shortsword, just with an additional 75 ft. of effective range. The only reason to get into melee with a rogue is to swing a second weapon in your off-hand to give you a second chance to sneak attack if you missed the first time.

Shoving targets prone for advantage would be a great reason to get into melee with a rogue, but that's based on strength, and by RAW you can't make an attack with your off-hand weapon unless you used your action to attack with your main hand, so there goes that.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Let anyone use acrobatics for it and call it a trip attack.

Let rogues cunning action it.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

A shove is an attack though. Just shove with a light melee weapon, that fulfills the prerequisites for using TWF as a bonus action, simple.

Rogues can have expertise in athletics even if they probably won't pump strength. If the thing is too big to shove prone, maybe it's big enough to climb onto with acrobatics as in the DMG.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

Let anyone use acrobatics for it and call it a trip attack.

Let rogues cunning action it.

:agreed:

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

slydingdoor posted:

A shove is an attack though. Just shove with a light melee weapon, that fulfills the prerequisites for using TWF as a bonus action, simple.

Rogues can have expertise in athletics even if they probably won't pump strength. If the thing is too big to shove prone, maybe it's big enough to climb onto with acrobatics as in the DMG.

That's how it should work, sure. Unfortunately, a shove is a 'special melee attack' that doesn't use your weapons. It doesn't technically qualify as an 'attack', beyond the fact that you can use them in place of attacks during the Attack action. If special melee attacks worked like that, you could grapple or shove as an attack of opportunity (which should probably be allowed too), because the wording for attacks of opportunity states that you "make one melee attack".

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Nah, you can't shove or grapple as your opportunity attack because taking an OA is not taking an Attack Action that you can replace with a special melee attack. It's itself a special attack reaction.

You absolutely can shove with a weapon. If a DM told me I couldn't shove with a halberd or whip to leverage its reach, (at least to trip, maybe not to push with the whip) they'd be wrong.

e; If you can't shove with reach, then sport jousting probably always kills, even though unless you're cheating or an rear end in a top hat you should be aiming for your opponent's shield with the sole intent of unhorsing them.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 19, 2015

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Vanguard Warden posted:

That's how it should work, sure. Unfortunately, a shove is a 'special melee attack' that doesn't use your weapons. It doesn't technically qualify as an 'attack', beyond the fact that you can use them in place of attacks during the Attack action. If special melee attacks worked like that, you could grapple or shove as an attack of opportunity (which should probably be allowed too), because the wording for attacks of opportunity states that you "make one melee attack".

Where does it say this? Not to be an rear end, but it sure ain't in the PHB section called "Shoving a Creature"

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

P.d0t posted:

Where does it say this? Not to be an rear end, but it sure ain't in the PHB section called "Shoving a Creature"

It doesn't say that you do use your weapon, and you can shove with no weapons or free hands (like when you're grappling two creatures at once), so I assumed it didn't. Ask Your DM™ I guess.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Natural Language! :pseudo: