Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

SH4 talk: The stadimeter is pretty drat hard to use, yeah. I only use it when I have absolutely no other choice. For many targets you can use Sonar to get accurate ranging once they're within 5000yards (outside that its still a decent estimate, enough to make a decent guesstimate of speed). Don't use that if enemy destroyers/ASW ships are around though, or they'll hear you (Cruisers and other large ships do not have hydrophones AFAIK). And once you get Radar you're golden. (until late 44 when some IJN ships start getting Radar detectors) for plotting out the speed/course of most ships before they get anywhere near you.

Don't be afraid to "Cheat" a little and use the pause (backspace) to try to freeze the ship in your periscope at a point where you can use the scope markings more easily. Also don't be afraid to "cheat" and pause while you use the nav map to plot out poo poo like course and firing angle/position. If you wanna argue realism, in real life you'd have a whole team of dudes helping you with this poo poo.

Also, if you find yourself dissatisfied by how ships kinda just die really drat quick when you torpedo them, I can heartily recommend using this Longer Sink Times mod with TMO. I've only used it a bit so far, but the two ship's I've torpedoed have taken MUCH longer to sink and developed really big lists while doing so. Actually I had to finish them both off with the deck gun despite using three torpedoes on each (two initial hits each, then a follow up torpedo 20-30 minutes later). Then again I was getting pretty impatient, and resorted to the deck gun pretty quick, maybe I just needed to wait longer. :v:

10,000 ton tanker less than 10 minutes after I put the third torpedo into it (which was about 25 minutes after the first two). Really pissed me off, how was it still floating! I suspect if I had waited long it would've gone down (its engines had finally died out), but I got impatient and surfaced and used the gun to finish it.

8000 ton tanker about 20 minutes after being hit. I only waited an hour for this one before resorting to the deck gun.

My mod list:

And congrats on the Kongo kill, best (only) warship I've managed was a 5000 ton Kuma CL.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

^^ thanks for this ^^

As a side note, do you or anyone else get a weird high pitched squealing from your speakers/headphones while running SH4? It's a bit disconcerting. :ohdear:

fake edit: Just loaded up a new game with your modset - decided to try a Sargo and got the most badassly named one - SS-197 Seawolf. :stwoon: I'm seriously considering on embarking on my first ever Let's Play with this game as I feel it'd not be a stupendous amount of effort while still being entertaining. :)

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 18, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

No, the only weird sound stuff I've noticed is A) the only noise that plays when alt-tabbed to something else is waves/the ship's wake and B) sometimes the engine noise gets really high pitched after alt-tabbing/time compression, switches back if I adjust speed back/forth.

[edit] One thing I'm noticing is a lack of historical duds in TMO. So far I've only had (as far as I can tell) duds fail to detonate due to hitting really rounded parts of the lower hull. I've also only had one premature detonation despite keeping the magnetic exploder active. I do set my torpedoes to run shallower to counteract the odds of deep runners though.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 18, 2015

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
What would be the historical dud rate with the hindsight we have with sh4? I know a large part of the problem was the magnetic fuses and the torpedoes running deeper than usual and most people in game just run them shallow and on contact. I also know there were problems with the contact fuses when hitting at an angle, but once your correct for the first two what should we be looking for in terms of historical failure rates?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, that is the thing, a lot of my attacks have been flat on 90 degree impacts (Which is what was causing the firing pins to bend) and they still all went off.

I thought TMO was supposed to have pretty harsh historical duds, but maybe Run Silent Run Deep Campaign overwrote that part.

Tehkeen, I'm surprised you're so willing to engage undamaged targets with the deck gun. Maybe its different in TMO, but most of the ships I've seen in TMO+RSRDC have teeth. Most have 20mm AA guns fore and aft. That Nippon Maru I screenshotted above had a small deck gun on its bow.

This 7500 ton cargo ship I just torpedoed has much nastier teeth. Are those destroyer-type shielded guns fore and aft? :stare:

[edit] Ok, this one sunk much more swiftly (it took 3 hits afterall), she rapidly developed a heavy list and after 8 minutes my XO called it sunk. She capsized beautifully, this is what I wanted. LST mod is awesome.

She still blew the gently caress up comically once she was mostly underwater. I guess they can't really fix that part of the default sinking effects.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 18, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Holy drat they finally ported over Battle of the Bulge to the PC. Bought so fast.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

TehKeen posted:

SH4 talk: I recently got into this game after chancing across some LPs of it on Youtube and despite not really knowing what the hell I'm doing I installed Trigger Maru and the Optical Targeting mod based on some recommendations in said videos. My very first patrol started with sailing north out of Manila on Dec 8 and I immediately ran face first into an invasion force right off the west coast of Luzon - likely bound for likely Borneo - led by a shitton of cruisers and a pair of Kongos. :dogbutton:

I assumed periscope depth and waited until the lead BB was within about 1000yd and with my first volley of the war put four torps into the side of her, one of which was a dud, and one of which hit under the #3 turret and caused a flash fire, causing her to sink within seconds. I then got depth charged for the next four hours. :v:

I went on to sink about 40k more tons of merchant shipping in that patrol but they only gave me a Silver Star when I got back. :mad: As an aside, the Narwhal is the best class of sub because it gets two deck guns (though alas not the 6" ones ). :getin:

paging gradenko_2000 and anyone else who knows: I'm considering to switching to the 2m58s rule for map contacts for calculating a target's speed due to some serious difficulties in using the option built into the TDC. Despite sitting completely still and taking stad readings minutes apart I'm still often getting wildly inconsistent speed estimates. A tanker that's going back and forth between 6 and 12 knots, for example. I think I'm just really bad at stad readings, but can anyone suggest some things to try before I give up on it and use the map? Also, are there any good mod recommendations aside from TMO? I've yet to try RFB.

(by the way, thanks for posting that method last page - I had been looking for it for a while. I think I now remember you mentioning it in Grey Hunter's SH4 LP some years ago :) )

Narwhal has been modded in, if that sort of thing floats your boat. (And you give Neal Stevens $5.)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I believe TMO has its own cludged/kitbashed FauxNarwhal. Though that one does look a lot more accurate.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

TehKeen posted:

SH4 talk: I recently got into this game after chancing across some LPs of it on Youtube and despite not really knowing what the hell I'm doing I installed Trigger Maru and the Optical Targeting mod based on some recommendations in said videos. My very first patrol started with sailing north out of Manila on Dec 8 and I immediately ran face first into an invasion force right off the west coast of Luzon - likely bound for likely Borneo - led by a shitton of cruisers and a pair of Kongos. :dogbutton:

I assumed periscope depth and waited until the lead BB was within about 1000yd and with my first volley of the war put four torps into the side of her, one of which was a dud, and one of which hit under the #3 turret and caused a flash fire, causing her to sink within seconds. I then got depth charged for the next four hours. :v:

I went on to sink about 40k more tons of merchant shipping in that patrol but they only gave me a Silver Star when I got back. :mad: As an aside, the Narwhal is the best class of sub because it gets two deck guns (though alas not the 6" ones ). :getin:

paging gradenko_2000 and anyone else who knows: I'm considering to switching to the 2m58s rule for map contacts for calculating a target's speed due to some serious difficulties in using the option built into the TDC. Despite sitting completely still and taking stad readings minutes apart I'm still often getting wildly inconsistent speed estimates. A tanker that's going back and forth between 6 and 12 knots, for example. I think I'm just really bad at stad readings, but can anyone suggest some things to try before I give up on it and use the map? Also, are there any good mod recommendations aside from TMO? I've yet to try RFB.

(by the way, thanks for posting that method last page - I had been looking for it for a while. I think I now remember you mentioning it in Grey Hunter's SH4 LP some years ago :) )

There's a mod called Run Silent Run Deep (RSRD) that modifies all the campaign layers to be more realistic, i.e. you generally get a lot less contacts. There are versions designed to work with RFB and TMO. RFB and TMO are mutually exclusive. RFB strives for maximum realism and TMO is designed to be a bit harder than real life in some ways, more for the experience player. You will find with RSRD you will run across a lot less stuff than the stock campaign layers. Also, the Japanese were meticulous record keeprs and apparently RSRD is based on a lot of real life convoy documentation. Seeing less contacts is fun because then the ones you see really count. It really ups the intensity, in my opinion.

I think one of more of those mods has a fix for the stadimeter - apparently there is some mismatch between the target manual listed mast heights and the in game ones, which can result in incorrect range reading. I don't remember the details exactly.

Edit: DUDS: TMO does have duds, but purposely not at the historical rate. It was like 90 percent for awhile in real life, I literally don't know how as a skipper I could have made it through that period without strangling someone.

As far as what the dud rate should be? I don't think anyone knows for sure. Once you know to turn the magnetic pistols off, and set the torps to run shallow, that will help a lot. They eventually did some tests to figure out that the pins would crush and there was a problem (I believe they hung and dropped them straight down onto a concrete floor), but since all the causes were linked together there probably isn't good enough data in isolation to arrive at a solid figure.

pthighs fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 18, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

pthighs posted:

There's a mod called Run Silent Run Deep (RSRD) that modifies all the campaign layers to be more realistic, i.e. you generally get a lot less contacts. There are versions designed to work with RFB and TMO. RFB and TMO are mutually exclusive. RFB strives for maximum realism and TMO is designed to be a bit harder than real life in some ways, more for the experience player. You will find with RSRD you will run across a lot less stuff than the stock campaign layers. Also, the Japanese were meticulous record keeprs and apparently RSRD is based on a lot of real life convoy documentation. Seeing less contacts is fun because then the ones you see really count. It really ups the intensity, in my opinion.

I think one of more of those mods has a fix for the stadimeter - apparently there is some mismatch between the target manual listed mast heights and the in game ones, which can result in incorrect range reading. I don't remember the details exactly.

I find that even with RFB and RSRD, you still see a really high number of contacts. Record-breaking patrols are easy if your shooting skills are halfway OK, particularly if you have good torpedo-luck. I do wish there was some kind of mechanic to force your hand as to doctrinal use of the Mk 14, IE: You don't get any renown for kills achieved with the magnetic exploder turned off, or set to less than a certain depth, etc, to better simulate the hosed-upedness that was BuOrd.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

I find that even with RFB and RSRD, you still see a really high number of contacts. Record-breaking patrols are easy if your shooting skills are halfway OK, particularly if you have good torpedo-luck. I do wish there was some kind of mechanic to force your hand as to doctrinal use of the Mk 14, IE: You don't get any renown for kills achieved with the magnetic exploder turned off, or set to less than a certain depth, etc, to better simulate the hosed-upedness that was BuOrd.

That is a very interesting idea. It would be for a narrow audience, though, the frustration level would quickly go through the roof.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

pthighs posted:

That is a very interesting idea. It would be for a narrow audience, though, the frustration level would quickly go through the roof.

I am the 1%. I've always found the SH games to be the best drug available, but not really what I'm looking for. The lack of detailed subsystems modeling in particular was always annoying to me. As an example, losing your air compressor should be a big deal, not waiting five minutes for the repair crew to fix it, with your giant banks of air good for three or four entire emergency blows in the meantime, and no other significant draws on the system.

My sperg rage knows no bounds. Basically, I want DCS: Gato.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

re: duds - I've read Grey Hunter's WitP. I'm aware of how it was in reality. :gonk: I'm really glad that it isn't like that ingame or it'd just be horrifically unfun. Until the stars align the one time you need them and blow a Shokaku out of the water, of course.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

MrYenko posted:

Yeah, my latest patrol has me camping the Makassar strait (under orders even) and I've just sunk 3 ships in about 6 hours. Chokepoints are great :v:

That said, one thing to our advantage is just not our shooting, but our hunting methods. Early war doctrine was to cruise submerged at low speeds during daylight hours, hoping for something to pass you by and run on the surface at night to recharge your batteries. Cruising and hunting on the surface (which dramatically increases one's odds of encountering enemies) was something pioneered by people like Mush Morton and Dick O'Kane and took a while to gain acceptance.

[edit] Just nailed a Maru in the middle of heavy fog and rough seas. I never even saw the ship until torpedoes were slamming into it (and even then it was barely silhouetted) despite the fact it was less than 650 yards away at impact point. I just used Radar to calculate her course/speed and then fired 3 torpedoes as the ship's hydrophone reading passed the aiming bearing. 3 hits and she went down in minutes. Only a 3500-ish ton ship, kind of excessive, but I had no idea what the heck it was besides "merchant". :v:

Anyways what I'm trying to say is Radar is loving awesome. :911:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 18, 2015

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Command has a new stand alone game called Command Northern Inferno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IumydLyVWQY

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

15 scenarios for 15 bucks is a STEAL in this genre! Thank you considerably!!!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yeah, 15 bucks is a much safer bet than the whopping £60.99 for such a game. Even at 50% off I wasn't sure about it, but this'll definitely help me take the plunge.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Neat, I might finally dip my toe into that bottomless sea of madness, especially if they put it on steam.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Uh, where was the price mentioned?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I can't find a source for that, on the devs website it says:

"Equally important, NI is an excellent opportunity for new players to try out Command, as it can be purchased and played as a standalone game at a fraction of the price of the full CMANO game. So the argument “this looks really interesting, but is too expensive for me to try” is now officially dead (if Steam refunds haven’t killed it already)."

So presumably a lot less than £60 anyway.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Pharnakes posted:

I can't find a source for that, on the devs website it says:

"Equally important, NI is an excellent opportunity for new players to try out Command, as it can be purchased and played as a standalone game at a fraction of the price of the full CMANO game. So the argument “this looks really interesting, but is too expensive for me to try” is now officially dead (if Steam refunds haven’t killed it already)."

So presumably a lot less than £60 anyway.

'A fraction of the price' could easily be 99/100.

Although the base game seems to be priced at £1 per mission.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgv7U3GYlDY

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

I am fully on board for this, having 15 scenario's of a more guaranteed quality is something which i would be very happy to pay money for, as often with a mediocre or bad user created scenario you are 2-3 hours in before you work out its not just a slow burn scenario and is just uninteresting to play and its just a really frustrating experience i would rather avoid.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Speaking of CMANO scenarios, I found this in the briefing of a community scenario:

quote:

· The new US Presidential administration is sworn into office on 20 January. Along with a now friendly and cooperative legislature, the agenda is aggressive and includes:

o English is declared the national language and all federal business, with the exception of foreign relations, must be conducting in English.

o The much debated Affordable Care Act has 90% of its provisions repealed.

o A barrier along Southern Border of the United States starts construction with high priority.

o Corporate income tax, which is among the highest in the world, is reduced to zero and the economy jump starts in anticipation.

o The administration invokes the Monroe Doctrine and demands a halt to the rapidly increasing military build-up in Cuba.

[...]

The unending tide of illegal immigration into the US appears to slow to a trickle after the Southern Wall nears completion and after several hundred illegal immigrants with suspected criminal gang affiliation are placed on military transport by the US Government and unceremoniously deposited in Liberia.

Hm yes I'm sure this is all very relevant to the scenario at hand (resurgent Russia forms Warsaw pact 2.0 in the Caribbean)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

ArchangeI posted:

Speaking of CMANO scenarios, I found this in the briefing of a community scenario:

Hm yes I'm sure this is all very relevant to the scenario at hand (resurgent Russia forms Warsaw pact 2.0 in the Caribbean)

Ours is a hobby that unfortunately has a high percentage of really passionate people on the far right.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I'm assuming the new administration he is referring to is Bernie Sanders.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Polyakov posted:

I am fully on board for this, having 15 scenario's of a more guaranteed quality is something which i would be very happy to pay money for, as often with a mediocre or bad user created scenario you are 2-3 hours in before you work out its not just a slow burn scenario and is just uninteresting to play and its just a really frustrating experience i would rather avoid.

My favorite CMANO scenario is one that shipped with the first version of the game and hasn't been updated since. One word to describe it would be 'unfinished'.

You are inclined to play it when you first get the game because both the difficulty and complexity levels are given as the lowest possible. This is because those are the defaults in the editor. :effort: The complexity level might is accurate because there is actually nothing going on in it.
As for the difficulty, the scenario is practically impossible as your enemy's air force is vastly superior to your own. You are tasked with gaining air superiority with Skyhawks against Flankers(or something like that).
The rest of the scenario consists of not finding a sub(that may or may not exist) with your ship(s) and walking an infantry unit into a zone, which triggers nothing.

Opening it in the editor reveals that there is nothing more to this scenario.

Thankfully 80$ buys you more than just this scenario.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Any idea how many of the fifteen scenarios are small? I don't have time to play big stuff anymore (and never was inclined that way anyway). For that matter, are there many small scenarios available in the full game? I know I'm eventually going to succumb to temptation...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
It's hella tempting for me because CMANO always looked interesting but I don't want to risk spending sixty bucks and then not enjoying it. So I will probably pick this up!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Wooper posted:

My favorite CMANO scenario is one that shipped with the first version of the game and hasn't been updated since. One word to describe it would be 'unfinished'.

You are inclined to play it when you first get the game because both the difficulty and complexity levels are given as the lowest possible. This is because those are the defaults in the editor. :effort: The complexity level might is accurate because there is actually nothing going on in it.
As for the difficulty, the scenario is practically impossible as your enemy's air force is vastly superior to your own. You are tasked with gaining air superiority with Skyhawks against Flankers(or something like that).
The rest of the scenario consists of not finding a sub(that may or may not exist) with your ship(s) and walking an infantry unit into a zone, which triggers nothing.

Opening it in the editor reveals that there is nothing more to this scenario.

Thankfully 80$ buys you more than just this scenario.

Lmao the Columbia vs Venezuela one? The finest scenario.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Re: SH4

I never liked RSRD because I could never find any ships. :(

So I liked the balance between RFB with stock campaign because it meant the game was hard, but also there are plenty of boats to shoot my duds at.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

LordPants posted:

Re: SH4

I never liked RSRD because I could never find any ships. :(

So I liked the balance between RFB with stock campaign because it meant the game was hard, but also there are plenty of boats to shoot my duds at.

Just go where the shipping routes are. Alternatively, stay near chokepoints. I've been finding plenty of shipping.

Here is a good reference map:

And here is an ingame mod I got showing common (but not all) RSRD convoy routes (Which solo ships will follow as well, though solo merchants also take other routes).

Of course, I guess it depends on your definition of "plenty of shipping" I can go for a few days without contact, but rarely more than a week. And when I find a good spot I can get plenty of stuff (Such as sinking about 4 ships within ~24 hours while patroling the Makassar strait)

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 19, 2015

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Unimpressed posted:

Any idea how many of the fifteen scenarios are small? I don't have time to play big stuff anymore (and never was inclined that way anyway). For that matter, are there many small scenarios available in the full game? I know I'm eventually going to succumb to temptation...

Histogram comparison of file sizes (a rough indicator of scenario size/complexity) between the community scenario pack and northern inferno.

That one near 800kb is the finale :q:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

seamless

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

Lmao the Columbia vs Venezuela one? The finest scenario.

Unfortunately it is labeled as the easiest and least complex one, so a lot of people, like me, are going to try and start with that one. A great introduction to the game, especially if you don#t know if you are just too stupid to play the game or if the scenario is actively broken.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is that something on the Clausewitz engine?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That's got to be AGEOD. To End All Wars probably.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It's Diplomacy... It's not even and island. Diplomacy Wasteland?

e: Oh, sorry, The Mechanics Triangle. Sadly there are no road connections so I don't know how any research gets did.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It's Diplomacy... It's not even and island. Diplomacy Wasteland?

e: Oh, sorry, The Mechanics Triangle. Sadly there are no road connections so I don't know how any research gets did.

It also seems to be in Russia, which probably should make it impossible for the Kaiser to send anyone at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's got to be AGEOD. To End All Wars probably.

Exactly. Basically, a lot of functions are shunted off to fake board spaces to do some game mechanics- there's also things in the ledger you have to do. That engine has been creaking since it peaked with Birth of America 2(probably their best designed game).