Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I dunno if you ask me this thread is more entertaining when it's full of derails rather than just being a Reddit r/pf reposting station

Absolutely agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I posted this opinion last time it came up, but I feel strongly about it: There are lots of things that are not available to a person in their 30s that are available in their 20s. If you travel in your 20s solo or with friends and jump around hostels and countries, your stories will be much different than someone traveling in their 30s staying in hotels with someone they're dating (or still jumping around hostels). It's not some tragedy that a person's youth is gone as each stage in life has its pros and cons, but I am very happy with the money and time I spent in my early and mid 20s.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

SiGmA_X posted:

MORE BAD WITH MONEY, LESS DERAIL!

SMS, can we get derail bans back?

Not sure why you believe this is a derail. We are LITERALLY talking about people who are bad with money.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Blinkman987 posted:

I posted this opinion last time it came up, but I feel strongly about it: There are lots of things that are not available to a person in their 30s that are available in their 20s. If you travel in your 20s solo or with friends and jump around hostels and countries, your stories will be much different than someone traveling in their 30s staying in hotels with someone they're dating (or still jumping around hostels). It's not some tragedy that a person's youth is gone as each stage in life has its pros and cons, but I am very happy with the money and time I spent in my early and mid 20s.

I'm not sure 'different' stories really matters. Having to give handjobs for bus fare would also be 'different', but not very appealing. I always find it odd when people equate comfort/luxury as being boring.

Quick bad with money story from when I was an executive at a large company. We had a conference to go to in Germany, and the assistant booking the trip was leaving the company so didn't really give a poo poo. She booked all 12 people going in business or first class both ways without checking the pricing. Turned out it was about $10k PER PERSON and the bill was over $100k.

EDIT: We also had dinner in a 2 Michelin star restaurant and the bill ended up being about $1k per person. Company cards were a lot of fun!

enraged_camel posted:

Not sure why you believe this is a derail. We are LITERALLY talking about people who are bad with money.

He's REALLY excited about posting a really uninteresting story from reddit because he follows the rules, guys!

Comrade Flynn fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 18, 2015

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Inverse Icarus posted:

Similarly, people who tell children that childhood is the best part of their lives must have had really soulcrushing 20s themselves, and set their kids up to continue being children well into their 30s.

gently caress that, being a DINK is the best part of life. It's like playing life with cheatcodes.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

TLG James posted:

gently caress that, being a DINK is the best part of life. It's like playing life with cheatcodes.

It's good to be a DINK.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Radbot posted:

It's good to be a DINK.

loving truth.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Comrade Flynn posted:

I'm not sure 'different' stories really matters. Having to give handjobs for bus fare would also be 'different', but not very appealing. I always find it odd when people equate comfort/luxury as being boring.

I don't know anybody who has needed to do that, but I wish whomever in your life was forced into such a predicament well.

The experiences a person has in their 20s when they're at their peak in physique, looks, topical interests, and lack of being held responsible is definitely going to be different than the 30s when more is expected of a person. That appeals to a lot of people. If you like luxury or w/e that is, I guess that's cool.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Blinkman987 posted:

Pretty sure you can travel however you want, with whomever you want, at whatever age. Experiences like what you are talking about are not restricted to people in their 20s.

Blinkman987 posted:

I don't know anybody who has needed to do that, but I wish whomever in your life was forced into such a predicament well.

The experiences a person has in their 20s when they're at their peak in physique, looks, topical interests, and lack of being held responsible is definitely going to be different than the 30s when more is expected of a person. That appeals to a lot of people. If you like luxury or w/e that is, I guess that's cool.

I'm in better shape now in my mid 30s than I was in my mid 20s. I don't know what a 'topical interest' really is but I'm sure people at any age can cultivate whatever that is.

--
The long and the short of it is that people that make poor financial decisions in their 20s will probably continue to do so into their 30s and beyond. The habits you cultivate at a young age become no easier to change as you get older. Just look at the many threads in BFC where people have been unable to break their bad spending habits.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Blinkman987 posted:

Most of the people I know / know of who live the kind of 20's you describe (i.e no responsibility, travel loads, etc) are people who are spoilt, irresposible, bad with money or that type of person who is happy to take a one way ticket to some place and just not care about how to get home until it's time to.
In other words, people who will show up in this thread sooner or later.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Sep 19, 2015

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Sydney couple in their 20s go on home buying spree, picking up 19 properties in a single year

THEY’RE in their mid-20s and earn average incomes, yet Emily Sharp and Luke Rogers own 22 homes — 19 purchased in the last year alone.

The Sydney couple’s $3 million property portfolio includes homes in Sydney, the Blue Mountains, Central Coast and Queensland, which they’ve purchased mostly over the past 12 months despite one of the biggest price booms in history.

Ms Sharp, 25, and Mr Rogers, 24, purchased their homes with no financial help from friends or family and have relied instead on a clever home buying strategy and savings from their salaries — she works a graduate position in marketing, he works in the army.

They owe their success to a mix of determination and strict saving, Mr Rogers said.

He started saving for his first investment property at age 17 and together the couple have agreed to forgo luxuries to keep their expenses down. Last year he sold his car and motorbike.

“We don’t spend money on flashy things,” Mr Rogers said.

The tactics they’ve used to purchase nine times as many homes in a year as the average Aussie will own in a lifetime may seem complicated, but anyone can do the same, Mr Rogers said.

“The trick is to have equity in the home the day you purchase it. You then take out that equity to buy your next properties,” he said.

They developed this strategy after becoming dissatisfied with their first purchase: a house in Gympie, Queensland.

Mr Rogers bought the home four years ago, but the rents weren’t good and its value increased slowly.

“I realised I wouldn’t achieve the lifestyle I wanted by buying properties like that again so I started researching how other people made money in real estate.”

His research led him to Nathan Birch of Binvested, a Western Sydney native who bought more than 150 properties before turning 30. They decided to mirror Mr Birch’s approach.

Any homes the couple now purchase must meet three criteria: the home must be in an area where prices are about to go up fast, the monthly rental income must exceed their mortgage repayments and the price must be below the property’s true market value.

This approach means that after only a few months of ownership the property will be worth substantially more than they paid for it. They then refinance their original loan and use their newly gained equity as a deposit on their next home.

The high rents also guarantee their properties don’t drain their finances so banks can continue to issue them loans.

“Trying to secure new loans and good deals on homes is time consuming, so we get help,” Ms Sharp said.

They use mortgage broker Graham Turnbull of Zinger Finance to negotiate their loans and a buyer’s agency Binvested to help find homes selling under their value.

The majority of their properties are blocks of units in Cairns and Lithgow, as well as apartments in Gold Coast purchased mostly below Australia’s median house price of roughly $450,000.

Their Sydney homes include units in Fairfield and Granville, although they’re sceptical of the Harbour City market.

“For us, you’ve got to look at the future growth areas and Sydney has already seen a lot of price growth. Brisbane looks better,” Mr Rogers said.

But 22 homes is enough for now, Ms Sharp added. “Our rental income is now higher than the income from our jobs, which is great, but I think we’ll stop buying for a while.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/reale...q-1227533445956

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Ah yes, the secret to success is to be able to divine the future of a property's value, get it for below cost, and only hire good tenants. Jeez why didn't I think of that earlier? I can't believe what a rube I've been

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The first reply in that article from the poster Campbell is so hilariously spot on.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
There was a guy doing this in 2008 (well, a lot of guys - but this one was profiled in the media). He had like 6 houses in different states, all bought using equity from previous homes. The moment home values went south the whole scheme fell apart. Since he lied on several of the mortgage applications, he couldn't even discharge them in bankruptcy.

22 homes might actually be better than 6 homes. If the market moves in the other direction, you might still make enough in rentals to compensate for the empty properties. I guess it depends on how much profit you're making on each rental and just how much you bribed the appraiser to inflate your home values.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I wonder how many repairs they've had to do in the past year and whether their income is before or after those. If they make about 5k/month (just pulling this out of my rear end) that could easily get completely eaten each year by maintenance and repair costs for 22 houses. Plus they are either paying someone to handle the renting and management, or doing it themselves, so they may even be working for no actual pay.

Not enough detail to say. The fact they have two third party advisors doesn't bode well for them though, imo.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Not a Children posted:

Ah yes, the secret to success is to be able to divine the future of a property's value, get it for below cost, and only hire good tenants. Jeez why didn't I think of that earlier? I can't believe what a rube I've been

You're missing the secret sauce: 100:1 leverage in a bubble.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I'm sure the bubble has plenty of room to inflate and they will get out before it pops so some other rubes can :getin:.

Or

quote:

There was a guy doing this in 2008 (well, a lot of guys - but this one was profiled in the media). He had like 6 houses in different states, all bought using equity from previous homes. The moment home values went south the whole scheme fell apart. Since he lied on several of the mortgage applications, he couldn't even discharge them in bankruptcy.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

That would be Casey Serin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casey_Serin) of IAmFacingForeclosure.com fame. These Aussies are literally Casey x3.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

SlapActionJackson posted:

That would be Casey Serin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casey_Serin) of IAmFacingForeclosure.com fame. These Aussies are literally Casey x3.

Or course the guy became a blogger.

Speaking of terrible house flipping, that guy who runs the hoodwinked house blog is still trying to repair his money pit. I think at last update he had something like 20k more in interior repairs to do and he never did get any money from the realtor.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

MrOnBicycle posted:

Most of the people I know / know of who live the kind of 20's you describe (i.e no responsibility, travel loads, etc) are people who are spoilt, irresposible, bad with money or that type of person who is happy to take a one way ticket to some place and just not care about how to get home until it's time to.
In other words, people who will show up in this thread sooner or later.

When I was 18 I spent a summer working as a guide, making $250/week living in a barn converted to barracks style housing. It was a great deal of fun, and I was spending practically every day in a harness and hiking. I spent all my earnings on gear, ammo, and fuel to take me around to interesting places. A number of my peers were living the adventure lifestyle, taking 2 week climbing trips to Yosemite or backpacking around Nepal for a month. I couldn't keep up with them, because I couldn't afford those trips.

Many of the people in the ski/climbing bum lifestyle are funded by inherited wealth, unless they are able to compete at a high enough level to be sponsored/paid for it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I love traveling, but more than anything else I love traveling where I actually meet the people that live there. My group of friends wants to go on a cruise next year and I'm making no progress whatsoever on killing this idea. Only $800 for buffet food and being guaranteed "safe from gangs and criminals"!

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
That's Australia for you. Many of my friends in their 20s are paying more than 50% of their income on mortgage repayments. No one bats an eye at this. "Gotta get on the property ladder somehow!"

Don't have a 20% deposit? No problem. "Just get your parents to Co sign" is repeated so often here people believe it is common sense.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

Or course the guy became a blogger.

Speaking of terrible house flipping, that guy who runs the hoodwinked house blog is still trying to repair his money pit. I think at last update he had something like 20k more in interior repairs to do and he never did get any money from the realtor.

Just had a look through his more recent updates. Has maxed out his credit on repairs so things are at a bit of a standstill, and seems to have given up on going after the seller after everyone tells him he doesn't have enough for a case. :smith:

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Aliquid posted:

I love traveling, but more than anything else I love traveling where I actually meet the people that live there. My group of friends wants to go on a cruise next year and I'm making no progress whatsoever on killing this idea. Only $800 for buffet food and being guaranteed "safe from gangs and criminals"!

This summer my wife and I flew into Rome, then rented a car and spent the next 10 days driving up to Northern Germany. It was awesome seeing out of the way places and stopping into little local restaurants for lunch rather than the tourist traps.

Bad with money was the $1000 one-way car rental fee they charged.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Nothing wrong with a cruise, but it's all about balance. I've spent the last three vacations with my wife jam packed with travel and seeking out little great things to see. I could do with a week on a deck chair and a book.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

CelestialScribe posted:

Don't have a 20% deposit? No problem. "Just get your parents to Co sign" is repeated so often here people believe it is common sense.

Can you blame them for saying this? Some prick I used to work with took out a $16k loan to buy necessities such as a plasma television and a Holden Commodole (sic), had a temper tantrum at work and walked out, secure in the knowledge that as his parents co-signed on the loan, that they would continue to pay it, regardless of his conduct.

GWM: Have submissive and subservient parents.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I saw a respected financial planner in this area and he legitimately told me to borrow money from my parents for a deposit, as such an amount around here would be at minimum 20%.

I cut the meeting short.

Because property is so expensive here there are a multitude of articles providing suggestions - these regularly include "stay at home and live with your parents" until you're 30, "avoid paying rent" and get parents to loam you money.

No one I speak to grasps the fact that if you need to borrow money from your parents for a deposit, something is wrong.

Unfortunately, prices in Melbourne and Sydney will continue to remain high because both cities have about 40 percent of the country's population.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

CelestialScribe posted:

That's Australia for you. Many of my friends in their 20s are paying more than 50% of their income on mortgage repayments. No one bats an eye at this. "Gotta get on the property ladder somehow!"

Ugh. I'm in a substantially better position than that - I'm looking at buying in Australia which is BWM, but I will have about a 66% deposit ($240,000 in personal cash savings, looking for a 2-3 bedroom apartment/townhouse that is new enough not to likely require significant renovations/repairs for the next 5-10 years in Adelaide which generally ranges ~$320,000) - but I'm still moderately terrified of taking the plunge because I respect the fact that a six-figure loan such as I'll need to cover the remainder of the house price + stamp duty is a Big loving Deal.

I can't fathom the people who have taken the gamble that their house price will not only increase, but increase significantly, in order to allow them to stay out of complete financial ruin. Why not just go to Vegas and put it all on loving black just so you know immediately whether you're hosed rather than agonizing about it for the next 10-15 years?

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
How the gently caress do you have that much in cash :stare:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Comrade Flynn posted:

This summer my wife and I flew into Rome, then rented a car and spent the next 10 days driving up to Northern Germany. It was awesome seeing out of the way places and stopping into little local restaurants for lunch rather than the tourist traps.

Bad with money was the $1000 one-way car rental fee they charged.

Was the $1000 an extra fee or the total cost? If the latter, that's not too bad, though I suspect it was the former.

CelestialScribe posted:

By reading this thread and doing the exact opposite of everyone featured in a post?

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I have like $30,000 in savings. Even if I save as much as I can I'll get to that point by the time I'm like, 60, maybe? (I'm 28).

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Ornamented Death posted:

Was the $1000 an extra fee or the total cost? If the latter, that's not too bad, though I suspect it was the former.

Extra fee. Although the total wasn't too bad. I think it came out to $1500.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

CelestialScribe posted:

Boomeranging after being made redundant due to a reorg, realising that buying a house in Australia on a single salary is generally beyond the reach of sanity, and deciding to swallow my pride and staying put after I quickly found a better job and putting 80% of every single paycheck directly into a bank account and completely forgetting it exists for 5 solid years. My car is literally old enough to vote (1995 Nissan Pulsar Q Hatchback - I swear the fucker's indestructible even though I take the bus to work every day and only really use it on weekends), I only got a smart phone 2 years ago after I accidentally left my Nokia brick in my jeans in the wash (Sony Xperia Sola for $cheap) and only got mobile internet data 2 months ago after a recent raise could justify me increasing my discretionary spending so that I pay $30/mo on mobile rather than $15/mo, and the only real holiday I've been on in this period was a long weekend trip up to visit my best friend after she moved up to Melbourne (paid for by sticking any cash I had of the 20% I allow myself to access every week into a piggy bank until I had enough for tickets and spending money), but on the bright side I've enough money to comfortably buy a house by the end of the year and not only maintain it, but live on something other than ramen noodles for the next 30+ years of my life.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I'd love to do that, but realistically supporting myself, my stay-at-home-mum wife and son on 20% of my single salary isn't really doable.

As you say, buying a house in Australia on a single income in a major metropolitan city simply isn't achievable unless you put yourself in mortgage stress.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

CelestialScribe posted:

I have like $30,000 in savings. Even if I save as much as I can I'll get to that point by the time I'm like, 60, maybe? (I'm 28).

I always thought, from vague recollection, that Breetai had some corporate yuppie job (management of the management of the management?).

Anyway, as I can't see the house prices dropping anytime soon, I'll just sulkily resign myself to renting for life.

CONTENT:

Yet another co-worker decided that it might be a good idea to

a: Take up smoking that good old ice.
b: Borrow money from every source stupid enough to lend to him.
b2: "Buy" a new Ford Falcon-esque ute with no money down.
c: Gamble with said funds that he didn't spend on ice.
c2: Get fired from my workplace for nicking from the till.
c3: Get fired from his next job, for nicking from the till.
c4: Have ute repo'ed.
d: Flee Victoria to his native South Australia, leaving us to answer calls from debt collectors at work.
e: (Presumably) End up with a bullet in his head, and buried in the Outback.

This is about average for workers in my profession.

EDIT: Some stuff I just remembered.

Sic Semper Goon fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 20, 2015

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Sic Semper Goon posted:

This is about average for workers in my profession.

:stare: which is...

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Sic Semper Goon posted:

I always thought, from vague recollection, that Breetai had some corporate yuppie job (management of the management of the management?).

Nope. Used to be in organisational development consulting (which is all very technical and yuppie but pays for poo poo for crappy hours unless you start your own business and then the GFC hit and everything went to poo poo), but after a brief sojourn into worker's compensation work in a quango now I'm APS 3 in the public service.

Never managed anyone in my life.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Professional serial killer.

No, baker.

Populated by crims, tweakers, deadbeats of all descriptions and I (the goon stereotype incarnate).

^^^ Ah, consultant. That was it.

Sic Semper Goon fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 20, 2015

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Professional serial killer.

No, baker.

Populated by crims, tweakers, deadbeats of all descriptions and I (the goon stereotype incarnate).

Would you go so far as to say bakers tend to be... unsavoury? :dukedog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Aliquid posted:

Bit of a derail, but you are not subjected to American law while on-board the cruise ship if the ship isn't flagged in America. From my understanding, which may be wrong, it is also a bit of a hassle if it is not the case that both the victim and the criminal is American.

The captain has broad discretion in how to handle crimes on-board his ship, and generally prefer less trouble.

• Locked thread