Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Sandman posted:

Your Halloween trick will be getting him to watch the first few episodes of Bokurano.

I haven't been in contact with him for years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxious_Photon
Sep 9, 2015
So I was just thinking with the latest chapter and all the back story on One For All (which the author thankfully didn't screw up as a part of me was worrying he would).

Do you think it's possible considering how they mentioned you could force One For All on someone and how the strain of passing it down has the potential of killing said person that Deku by forceablly giving his quirk to the guy that has All For One could possibly kill him that way, thus also erasing both quirks from existence.

This is obviously a bit of a stretch but it just got me thinking.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Noxious_Photon posted:

So I was just thinking with the latest chapter and all the back story on One For All (which the author thankfully didn't screw up as a part of me was worrying he would).

Do you think it's possible considering how they mentioned you could force One For All on someone and how the strain of passing it down has the potential of killing said person that Deku by forceablly giving his quirk to the guy that has All For One could possibly kill him that way, thus also erasing both quirks from existence.

This is obviously a bit of a stretch but it just got me thinking.

While that is possible, I'd much rather Deku win by being super strong and fast and beating him up :colbert:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ytlaya posted:

While that is possible, I'd much rather Deku win by being super strong and fast and beating him up :colbert:

Actually, Deku should win by using his nerd abilities to devise a super convoluted plan that uses the Quirks of all his friends to defeat the bad guy in an hilariously overcomplicated yet completely awesome way that has everyone contribute.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Actually, Deku should win by using his nerd abilities to devise a super convoluted plan that uses the Quirks of all his friends to defeat the bad guy in an hilariously overcomplicated yet completely awesome way that has everyone contribute.

No, Deku will beat him all by himself and Bakugou, IIda, and Todoroki will look on in awe while thinking "This guy...is inhuman" and all the girls in his class will go "D...Deku-sama..."

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

And then he marries Tsuyu and lives happily ever after

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MonsieurChoc posted:

Oh so you want the Zatch Bell route

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
So doesn't this mean that One for All could be used to pass on other quirks beyond the strength accumulation one? Have all the previous holders been quirk-less, then?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

ZiegeDame posted:

So doesn't this mean that One for All could be used to pass on other quirks beyond the strength accumulation one? Have all the previous holders been quirk-less, then?

No, the creation of One for All was a unique case, as All for One can cause powers to mutate. For example, Deku doesn't have All-Might's quirk, which is puffing up like a body builder.

Also, I don't think it's likely that we'll see Deku lose One for All. It seems like losing it may kill the bearer--though that might simply be because All-Might is missing like half his organs. But Gran Torino's statements seemed to suggest that All-Might's predecessor shuffled off prematurely too.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mr. Fowl posted:

No, the creation of One for All was a unique case, as All for One can cause powers to mutate. For example, Deku doesn't have All-Might's quirk, which is puffing up like a body builder.

Also, I don't think it's likely that we'll see Deku lose One for All. It seems like losing it may kill the bearer--though that might simply be because All-Might is missing like half his organs. But Gran Torino's statements seemed to suggest that All-Might's predecessor shuffled off prematurely too.

Pretty sure it was stated that All For One killed All Might's predecessor like 2 or 3 chapters ago.

FAKE EDIT: Yeah, Chapter 57.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Fowl posted:

All Might stated he was quirkless, though; his "puffing up" is him using One For All. He can use a much higher level of it than Deku can, but he can't maintain it that long due to his condition, hence the extreme difference between him using it and him not. Also, artistic license.

But yeah, All Might is quirkless beyond OFA, but the person he got it from was not; that quirk didn't pass with it, though. One For All just passes itself on, and we've known this for a while.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
So this chapter was fairly interesting. I like that it firmly establishes, both in general but also thematically, the idea that evil gives rise to good in opposition of it, rather than good causing evil, as so many superhero series and adaptations have tried to go for. Its easy to see how one particularly greedy fellow with the right Quirk would take advantage of the apparent social upheaval to basically become Khan Noonien Singh, plus its interesting to think on the implication that that the power stockpiling of One For All must have originally come from someone entirely unrelated to its eventual succession.

The question that hangs in my mind is on One For All's original host. How did he retain enough of his will after receiving a Quirk from his brother - pretty firmly established by this point as carrying mind-numbing strain - so as to plot the whole succession scheme?

Was it Justice?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Astro Nut posted:

So this chapter was fairly interesting. I like that it firmly establishes, both in general but also thematically, the idea that evil gives rise to good in opposition of it, rather than good causing evil, as so many superhero series and adaptations have tried to go for. Its easy to see how one particularly greedy fellow with the right Quirk would take advantage of the apparent social upheaval to basically become Khan Noonien Singh, plus its interesting to think on the implication that that the power stockpiling of One For All must have originally come from someone entirely unrelated to its eventual succession.

The question that hangs in my mind is on One For All's original host. How did he retain enough of his will after receiving a Quirk from his brother - pretty firmly established by this point as carrying mind-numbing strain - so as to plot the whole succession scheme?

Was it Justice?

It was established that many, but not all, of AFO's quirk repositories got their brains fried by the experience. He just got lucky.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

ZiegeDame posted:

People are saying no but I pretty clearly remember that All Might specifically said that it does, using Todoroki as an example. So all the previous holders have just had maybe generic super strength or nothing I guess.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

It also seems likely that since one for All is a combination of the power storage quirk and the original quirk of All for ones brother that All for One can't steal it away. Mostly because he would have yanked it as soon as he found out if he could have back when he was the far stronger one. In other words it cannot be taken it can only be deliberately given.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Prison Warden posted:

People are saying no but I pretty clearly remember that All Might specifically said that it does, using Todoroki as an example. So all the previous holders have just had maybe generic super strength or nothing I guess.

Yeah, we don't know what quirks previous holders had previous to getting All For One. It's quite possible that people who have had it previously had quirks that were in the same vein as All For One's superpowers, which would make some sense as such quirks should provide a little bit of an extra boost to the base power progression of All For One.

If we're theory crafting, it's possible that either the original possessor or all those who pass on One For All had/have the ability to take away other people's quirks. However while All For One can take and give without permission, One For All can only do so with permission. Of course no one really goes around trying to get rid of their quirk, so it's an unknown as yet power. It may be that One For All owners are passing all the quirks they have through the lineage to the next person without realizing it. Each generation stronger not only because the power storage quirk has increased it's power but because they also got 2nd Gen's mild super strength and 5th's super endurance. Perhaps that is what kills the guy passing it on, his body not being built for no quirks.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the next training arc is going to be using one for all all day while at school

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Jose posted:

the next training arc is going to be using one for all all day while at school

A chapter of Midoriya trying to act natural all day and being careful not to twitch too hard in the direction of one of his friends and accidentally doing a bunch of minor property damage would be pretty great.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
No mention of Deku's best panel this chapter?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Hey, this guy seems familiar.

Where did we see someone like tha--

Oh! MY GOD!

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Vengarr posted:

Oh! MY GOD!

:aaaaa:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Vengarr posted:

Oh! MY GOD!

Holy poo poo if this is actually right.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Really hoping this actually is the same guy.

Though I guess if it is, the likelihood of Deku having an undocumented quirk goes up.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Vengarr posted:

Oh! MY GOD!

Bull poo poo that's Doctor Eggman

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Bull poo poo that's Doctor Eggman

He's got the maaaaaaaaster plan.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
It would be the perfect cover to steal quirks. Just take them from kids during their examination and then tell the kid and his/her parents that he/she never had a quirk in the first place. Show a fake x-ray to convince them... How old was Deku when he was declared quirkless?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Bad Seafood posted:

Really hoping this actually is the same guy.

Though I guess if it is, the likelihood of Deku having an undocumented quirk goes up.

Disagree. It goes down to almost zero because it means that his job in the evil empire is finding kids with useful quirks for All For One to gank. Like the regeneration quirk he was talking about this chapter.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Gyges posted:

Disagree. It goes down to almost zero because it means that his job in the evil empire is finding kids with useful quirks for All For One to gank. Like the regeneration quirk he was talking about this chapter.

or you have it back to front

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Piriwi posted:

It would be the perfect cover to steal quirks. Just take them from kids during their examination and then tell the kid and his/her parents that he/she never had a quirk in the first place. Show a fake x-ray to convince them... How old was Deku when he was declared quirkless?

That is a surprisingly plausible theory.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Piriwi posted:

That would only make sense if it happened to be the sort of quirk a person would never notice in the first place (since most of Deku's peers had already had their quirks manifest). From what I understand, he had that examination *because* he hadn't had a quirk manifest yet.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Prison Warden posted:

I'm pretty sure that's not what he said, just that Todoroki would have One For All in addition to his own powers, and would thus be an extremely effective hero, which is what Deku was sad about. "Wouldn't it have been better to give it to someone with a strong quirk rather than me?" and all that.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I really don't believe that Midoriya had a quirk to begin with.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ytlaya posted:

That would only make sense if it happened to be the sort of quirk a person would never notice in the first place (since most of Deku's peers had already had their quirks manifest). From what I understand, he had that examination *because* he hadn't had a quirk manifest yet.

Who better to steal a quirk from? Someone with something obvious, or someone who didn't even know they had one?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 18, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Who better to steal a quirk from? Someone with something obvious, or someone who didn't even know they had one?

Considering quirks can have massive drawbacks it seems like a bad idea to steal a power you know nothing about.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
"Hey, Doctor, I brought my kid in because he seems to have a Quirk where he spontaneously combusts, it's really dangerous and inconvenient."
"Okay, let me examine him."

Quirk stolen by All for One.

"He doesn't have a quirk."
"What, no he's been doing it all month."
"Here's this X-Ray, it proves I'm right."

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, he kept coming in because he didn't have a quirk at all. Unless he had a super awesome quirk that the doctor set up to get stolen about 9 visits prior.

Nahxela posted:

"Hey, Doctor, I brought my kid in because he seems to have a Quirk where he spontaneously combusts, it's really dangerous and inconvenient."
"Okay, let me examine him."

Quirk stolen by All for One.

"He doesn't have a quirk."
"What, no he's been doing it all month."
"Here's this X-Ray, it proves I'm right."

Since the dude's been stealing quirks for a few generations, he probably usually just trades similar quirks. Unless he can come across one real early so no one notices it's gone.

Or he just stages a "tragic accident" to cover up the quirk theft.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm still really doubting Midoriya ever had a quirk. He was specifically taken in for NOT having one yet despite being 5-6 years old.

All Might was quirkless too and that's sort of one of their bonds.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Vengarr posted:

Oh! MY GOD!

ODA DOES IT AGAIN

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I'm still expecting the opposite, where either Deku's mom or dad was a quirkless until getting one from All for One. The thing is, those quirks aren't hereditary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The point is that the whole "being a doctor as a front to steal kids' quirks" thing makes no sense if the kids are only coming to you when they think they have no quirk at all.