Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

hobbesmaster posted:

With proper corrosion measures there should not be any hull damage no matter how long its been at sea.

I would argue that even the most dedicated, ooh-rah, Naval crew is not doing the 'proper' measures to ensure that a 40 year old ship is showing zero hull wear and tear. Like it's not a 'lol lazy sailors' thing it's a 'I don't think people who have jobs and other poo poo to do on a ship can keep it 100% perfect like that'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So a Congressman thinks they have more authority over Catholicism than the Pope.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I would argue that even the most dedicated, ooh-rah, Naval crew is not doing the 'proper' measures to ensure that a 40 year old ship is showing zero hull wear and tear. Like it's not a 'lol lazy sailors' thing it's a 'I don't think people who have jobs and other poo poo to do on a ship can keep it 100% perfect like that'.

Meanwhile, our new ship builders have help "disrupt" that booooring concept of "galvanic protection" to w-holely exciting results!

quote:

The afflicted vessel is USS Independence, the second in the sailing branch’s fleet of fast, reconfigurable Littoral Combat Ships. Eventually, these ships are supposed to be the workhorses” of tomorrow’s Navy.

As Bloomberg reported, the Navy has discovered “aggressive” corrosion around Independence‘s engines. The problem is so bad that the barely year-old ship will have to be laid up in a San Diego drydock so workers can replace whole chunks of her hull.
But instead of simply filing the corrosion issue under “lessons learned,” Austal seems determined to blame its customer. “Galvanic corrosion has not been a factor on any Austal-built and fully maintained vessel,” Austal stressed, implying that Independence hasn’t been “fully maintained” by a negligent Navy.

That’s an, ahem, interesting approach to customer relations for America’s newest warship-builder.

And things could get worse, as more LCSs enter the fleet. “I suspect there will be other public problems revealed over time that will require relatively simple, albeit costly, solutions,” Pritchett wrote. Will Austal also blame the Navy the next time a glitch appears in the ships it builds?

(http://www.wired.com/2011/06/shipbuilder-blames-navy-as-brand-new-warship-disintegrates/)

Crabtree posted:

So a Congressman thinks they have more authority over Catholicism than the Pope.

Well, has anyone actually seen the ballots cast to elect him pope???? Exactly! He's not the real pope until we see the real ballots!!!!!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Trabisnikof posted:

Well, has anyone actually seen the ballots cast to elect him pope???? Exactly! He's not the real pope until we see the real ballots!!!!!

His authority is just a smokescreen, really.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

What, the Navy wouldn't be stupid enough to defer necessary maintenance to save money or are unable to schedule stuff far enough in advance because they don't know if congress will fund them would they?

Of course they wouldn't!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I'm at my friend's house and his mom is watching FOX News, and Megyn Kelly is hosting a...focus group?...talking about the debate, and they just brought up that clip from the Trump rally. One of the women in the group said something along the lines of "we don't know he's not a Muslim" and Megyn straight-up shut her down and said "yes, we do. He's not."

The reaction of the group and particularly the lady saying it was priceless; hopefully there'll be a video later.

I want to believe that Megyn is just not going to nod with the bullshit anymore after being poo poo on so much by her fellow right-wingers but even if that's the case it's only a phase and it'll pass. As much as I want her to have learned from recent events I just doubt it'll happen.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Kelly just proclaiming that he isn't a Muslim doesn't go far enough. loving Colin Powell settled this seven years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovW8rBPg_FU

Shame that Powell was such a gently caress up for Bush because he could've made for a great voice of reason otherwise.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Is the Planned Parenthood defunding something symbolic like the ACA repeal votes or is this something that will actually be a thing?

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 18, 2015

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Tatum Girlparts posted:

According to a guy I know who just left it, the Navy took a 5% cut to personnel with the sequester, and most of the personnel funding for the Navy has been reduced in upcoming budgets, so very few of their ships are actually fully manned.

Which adds more hilarity to the idea that more ships are needed.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Spun Dog posted:

He's too nice a guy to do that. He will forgive him and hope that he sees the error of his ways like Jesus would.

He told the mafia off and then excommunicated them all. Categorically, all mafia, excommunciated.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

SalTheBard posted:

Is the Planned Parenthood defunding something symbolic like the ACA repeal votes or is this something that will actually be a thing?

Purely symbolic.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DaveWoo posted:

Purely symbolic.

I think a government shutdown has a non-zero chance of occuring.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

http://aattp.org/obama-unleashes-twitter-rant-for-haters-in-denial-about-his-successes/

Where was this Obama years ago? I hope he recognizes the amount of people fed up with the GOP echo chamber and just spends this last year punching them in the dick over and over and over again, or does the smarter thing and just does it all at once in a big rush near the election

Too bad he's still right of center on a lot of important stuff and silent on the rest, but oh well hail Satan

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

http://aattp.org/obama-unleashes-twitter-rant-for-haters-in-denial-about-his-successes/

Where was this Obama years ago? I hope he recognizes the amount of people fed up with the GOP echo chamber and just spends this last year punching them in the dick over and over and over again, or does the smarter thing and just does it all at once in a big rush near the election

Too bad he's still right of center on a lot of important stuff and silent on the rest, but oh well hail Satan

I'm pretty sure his twitter account has been tweeting out poo poo like that for a long time now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Epic High Five posted:

Where was this Obama years ago?

This stops being funny like the third year in a row it gets said.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Trabisnikof posted:

I think a government shutdown has a non-zero chance of occuring.

Oh very true, but in the end they'll need to pass a budget (or rather, a CR) and there's no way Obama will accept one with the PP attainder bill attached. So PP is safe(ish), but it's almost guaranteed to be used as a football for a while.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Crabtree posted:

Luigi Thirty posted:

I hope the Pope excommunicates him for being an idiot.

This should happen. It's been too long since we've had an antipope. It seems fitting to have Santorum become Ameripope Peter II.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

A Winner is Jew posted:

Even a ship launched in the late 70's or early 80's is pushing 35-40 years old right now, and like it's been said while the electronics have been continuously upgraded the hulls are still 35-40 years old and salt water is really, really loving corrosive to metal.

The other problem is that republicans see military procurement as the only viable jobs program which the defense industry has exploited to the fullest.

This isn't remotely true.

The mass incarceration prison system is also a massive jobs/stimulus/wage booster program :smith:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nolanar posted:

This should happen. It's been too long since we've had an antipope. It seems fitting to have Santorum become Ameripope Peter II.

Pope Freedom I

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

With proper corrosion measures there should not be any hull damage no matter how long its been at sea.

Well that's not remotely true. The maintenance schedule prevents, corrects, and repairs damage, but it is always pushing back against wear and tear.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

FAUXTON posted:

He told the mafia off and then excommunicated them all. Categorically, all mafia, excommunciated.

Sure, but there's a degree of difference between the sins of the Mafia and some congressman from Bumblefuck Falls. (I would hope)

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Nolanar posted:

There have actually been a number of anti-popes over the last 50 years or so. Mostly coming out of the sedevacantist movement which basically argued that Vatican II was heresy, therefore all popes since Vatican II have been heretics, therefore there haven't been any true popes and the papacy is vacant. And then the next step beyond that is to go ahead and elect a new pope to fill their shoes.

It's just that almost no one actually cares about them so they mostly get ignored outside of like a handful of people in Kansas or whatever

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Spun Dog posted:

Sure, but there's a degree of difference between the sins of the Mafia and some congressman from Bumblefuck Falls. (I would hope)

Mafia has ethics and a discernible ethos.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

This isn't remotely true.

The mass incarceration prison system is also a massive jobs/stimulus/wage booster program :smith:

I think you'll find that the slave labor of convicts depresses wages.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

A Winner is Jew posted:

I think you'll find that the slave labor of convicts depresses wages.

In the regions of the prisons for simple unskilled low machinery work, yes. It is a help to companies in that regard.

However for the rest it also removes a lot of potential competitors from the job market, and the union jobs as guards provide higher wages than one would otherwise find for that level of education and training.

When I get home I should do a thread on TNC's big piece on it in September's The Atlantic

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

quote:

But when the Pope chooses to act and talk like a leftist politician, then he can expect to be treated like one.

Is he threatening to purge the pope? :magical:

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm pretty sure his twitter account has been tweeting out poo poo like that for a long time now.

They have, meaning the people who tweet everything on there that doesn't end in "-bo".

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Spun Dog posted:

They both have really big problems with taxes.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
There are very serious capability shortfalls in the Navy today that are only just beginning to be addressed which means we won't see a good solution for a long time. Most of it has to do with how the Navy has perceived threats over the last 30 years and how the actual threat has rapidly changed since the mid-90's/early 2000's.

That said, Fiorina's bullshit about sixth fleet is jaw-dropping stupid.

Boon fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 19, 2015

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Boon posted:

Fiorina is stupid.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

I want to believe that Megyn is just not going to nod with the bullshit anymore after being poo poo on so much by her fellow right-wingers but even if that's the case it's only a phase and it'll pass. As much as I want her to have learned from recent events I just doubt it'll happen.

Why would she risk her hundreds of thousands of dollars and lifestyle over principals?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Luigi Thirty posted:

I hope the Pope excommunicates him for being an idiot.

The Pope doing the excommunication ceremony from the House lectern would be amazing.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The Pope doing the excommunication ceremony from the House lectern would be amazing.

And then him and Obama terrorist fist jab

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So apparently some pro-choice group released some information about the technician from the Planned Parenthood sting, Holly O'Donell. They took it down after taking flak for slut-shaming. I can't find what they actually said about her?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I wish.

quote:

The ceremony traditionally involved a bishop, with 12 priests with candles, and is solemnly pronounced in some suitably conspicuous place. The bishop would then pronounce the formula of the anathema, which ends with the following words:

" Wherefore in the name of God the All-powerful, Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, of the Blessed Peter, Prince of the Apostles, and of all the saints, in virtue of the power which has been given us of binding and loosing in Heaven and on earth, we deprive him and all his accomplices and all his abettors of the Communion of the Body and Blood of Our Lord, we separate him from the society of all Christians, we exclude him from the bosom of our Holy Mother the Church in Heaven and on earth, we declare him excommunicated and anathematized and we judge him condemned to eternal fire with Satan and his angels and all the reprobate, so long as he will not burst the fetters of the demon, do penance and satisfy the Church; we deliver him to Satan to mortify his body, that his soul may be saved on the day of judgment."

After this recitation the priests would respond: Fiat, fiat, fiat ("So be it! So be it! So be it!") The bishop would then ring a bell, close a holy book, and he and the assisting priests would snuff out their candles by dashing them to the ground.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Hidden added bonus: making Rand Paul poo poo his pants with the fiat chant.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Marco Rubio is of the school that the Pope has no clue what he's talking about when it comes to Catholic doctrine.

:shepicide:

Isn't that the Pope's primary reason for loving existing in the first place?! How can you ignore the head of your religion when he lays down doctoral interpretations?! It shows a major trump level arrogance.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Klaus88 posted:

Marco Rubio is of the school that the Pope has no clue what he's talking about when it comes to Catholic doctrine.

Isn't that the Pope's primary reason for loving existing in the first place?! How can you ignore the head of your religion when he lays down doctoral interpretations?! It shows a major trump level arrogance.

Remember that this is the same school of thought that calls Supreme Court decisions unconstitutional.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

haveblue posted:

Remember that this is the same school of thought that calls Supreme Court decisions unconstitutional.

Only the bad ones!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Klaus88 posted:

He probably thinks the Papacy has been corrupted by the evils of those Leftist Jesuits

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

Well that's not remotely true. The maintenance schedule prevents, corrects, and repairs damage, but it is always pushing back against wear and tear.

Uh, exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Calling out our first Latin American pope? Good to know GOP Hispanic outreach is still on track.

• Locked thread