Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

BottledBodhisvata is an awful poster, a complete piece of poo poo, and someone who cares too much about ethics in Internet reviewing. Hideo Kojima claimed that the justification of Quiet's design would be so good and powerful that everyone who complained about it would feel ashamed by their words and actions. I can't believe that these men may control the fate of the Middle East.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

watho posted:

BottledBodhisvata is an awful poster, a complete piece of poo poo, and someone who cares too much about ethics in Internet reviewing. Hideo Kojima claimed that the justification of Quiet's design would be so good and powerful that everyone who complained about it would feel ashamed by their words and actions. I can't believe that these men may control the fate of the Middle East.

And a portion of Africa too :v:.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
This thread has been going places.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
And what an odd thread it is.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jsor posted:

Oh man oh man Todd released a Cinemadonna on Evita!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIGXFN3NRuY

I have a connection to this movie because my senior high school marching band show was arranged around Madonna's version of Evita and it was the first time we got the highest ranking at the big competitions around us in over 50 years. But I've never seen the musical or film so I always wondered how it was.

Good video, though Todd's refusal to do some research on the historical person of Eva Peron kinda grated on me. I can understand not wanting to get things wrong by stepping out of your area of expertise, but still.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Yeah, I don't know. In a sense I think it's an..authentic way to view the musical? Because I doubt the average person who watches it knows anything about Eva Peron. Some reviewers love doing extensive background research - and I mean Todd definitely does research when it comes to the musical acts he's talking about - but I don't think he wants to talk about a huge amount of historical context. Which is not to dismiss wanting that historical context - my recent videos have become a lot more..research heavy, which means they tend more towards analysis than humour these days. I don't think that's good or bad, it just is.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Yeah. I mean, in this case I think a bit of research would have provided some context, but it's not a world ender.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
I have a question for Kyle - How have you been deciding which of your older reviews/videos make it up onto YouTube? There are a fair few missing that I'd really like to be able to see again (your Naked Lunch video in particular, since I saw that film recently). Are there some that you'd rather not resurface?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I feel like Old Spoony would be the kind of person who would refund his Patreon supporters for not providing content.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Gertrude Perkins posted:

I have a question for Kyle - How have you been deciding which of your older reviews/videos make it up onto YouTube? There are a fair few missing that I'd really like to be able to see again (your Naked Lunch video in particular, since I saw that film recently). Are there some that you'd rather not resurface?

I really hope he gets The Man Who Fell to Earth up, but I fear ContentID might nail that one.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Mokinokaro posted:

I really hope he gets The Man Who Fell to Earth up, but I fear ContentID might nail that one.

What's going on with Archive.org and everything they pulled off blip? Is that up anywhere yet?

Speaking of Kyle, I saw F for Fake. I liked it. My only real complaint is that it take about ten minuets for the film to actually start talking about it's subjects.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

BigRed0427 posted:

What's going on with Archive.org and everything they pulled off blip? Is that up anywhere yet?

Right now it's being uploaded to the Internet Archive's "Archive Team: The Blip Blop" collection. Unfortunately it's being uploaded in a format called WARC which is designed for preserving web scrapes with as much accuracy as possible (and it excels at that) but doesn't have a lot of easy to use software built around it (warcat is a powerful tool for working with these files but it's both command-line and requires Python to be installed). Additionally, the files have been further processed to combine the scrape into 25 gig chunks with a random assortment of videos in each chunk. All of this means it's not easy to access the content.

As always I am happy to share any video from my personal collection. Just shoot me a PM or send me an e-mail to my username at outlook.com with the video ID you want.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 18, 2015

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Twitter seems to suggest the next NC video will be on Fury Road.

I predict a good, solid half hour (of all the jokes and observations everyone else made in May 2015), and a delightful dose of original content (that completely misses the point).

At least that's what I'm assuming, going by the Jupiter Ascending review.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

lornekates posted:

Twitter seems to suggest the next NC video will be on Fury Road.

I predict a good, solid half hour (of all the jokes and observations everyone else made in May 2015), and a delightful dose of original content (that completely misses the point).

At least that's what I'm assuming, going by the Jupiter Ascending review.

I'm gonna go with no less than five unique WITNESS ME's

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Wouldn't any of the other movies make more sense, mainly Thuderdome? Or did he drop the "bad" requirement as well?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

e X posted:

Wouldn't any of the other movies make more sense, mainly Thuderdome? Or did he drop the "bad" requirement as well?

Look, can't we just get beyond thunderdome?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I am expecting him to nitpick on things that aren't solid facts in the movie

And him not understanding ecology.

And him not knowing what speedy tanks look like.

I had my first brewing with physics friends who really didn't get the movie.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Annointed posted:

I am expecting him to nitpick on things that aren't solid facts in the movie

And him not understanding ecology.

And him not knowing what speedy tanks look like.

I had my first brewing with physics friends who really didn't get the movie.

As an engineer, those are bad friends.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

e X posted:

I'm not sure when it was exactly that he dropped his "premise" - i.e. talking about "nostalgia"/stuff from the past. It just seems like he's reviewing just about anything now, which seems a bit pointless.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Infamous Sphere posted:

I'm not sure when it was exactly that he dropped his "premise" - i.e. talking about "nostalgia"/stuff from the past. It just seems like he's reviewing just about anything now, which seems a bit pointless.

hat's what i meant. I get reviewing more recent stuff, since terrible nostalgic movies are kind of a finite resource, but Fury Road is not only recent, it is a good movie. His entire stick is using bad movies to launch his own jokes and sketches, so, why pick a movie that is going to be on every Top Movies 2015 list?

emeriin
Feb 1, 2015
Maybe it'll be one of the gushing reviews. Or an Old vs New.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

"Helloooo, I'm the Critic. I remember it because you do to!"

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Beyond Thunderdome isn't a bad movie. It's got a different tone, and its uneven, but its not a bad movie at all. :colbert:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

lornekates posted:

"Helloooo, I'm the Critic. I remember it because you do to!"

Problem is that if he dropped "Nostalgia," then he'd just be "The Critic," and then everybody would think it was referring to the animated series.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Infamous Sphere posted:

Wasn't it when he relaunched NC? He explicitly dropped the premise during the return video after Demo Reel, I thought.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure Doug's said before that he wouldn't do movies that he himself doesn't have nostalgia for, I think it was the reason he didn't do the animated Transformers from the 80's, which is probably why he's almost completely stopped reviewing old movies, because he's done all the movies he remembers from his childhood.

I dunno why that stops him from watching stuff other people grew up with, honestly there's still years worth of material out there but whatever.

OldMemes posted:

Beyond Thunderdome isn't a bad movie. It's got a different tone, and its uneven, but its not a bad movie at all. :colbert:

No, it is a bad movie. But that's okay!

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Yeah, he could do a Buzzfeed kind of thing where he reacted to children's media from the world over, like..."OMG LOOK AT THIS WEIRD NORTHERN IRISH KIDS SHOW" or whatever the hell. It just seems like that kind of thing would be better suited to his style of..comedy, than just reviewing recent movies like everyone else.

Also, can we talk about the bad spelling in the videos? Is it just me who finds substituted homophone pairs incredibly annoying? Like..."a partridge in a pair tree", which is one that I noticed *ages* ago when I still watched his stuff? I know that's not really anyone's biggest problems with NC, but it seems sort of like..if you're going to fuss around doing all these green screen effects or whatever else, why not get someone to do an editorial check on the spelling?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'd love to watch a 'kid's shows from around the world' thing

emeriin
Feb 1, 2015
For the spelling, I think he's said he's dyslexic. I remember there being a commentary where "penguin" was spelled right and he thought he got it wrong.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Infamous Sphere posted:

Yeah, he could do a Buzzfeed kind of thing where he reacted to children's media from the world over, like..."OMG LOOK AT THIS WEIRD NORTHERN IRISH KIDS SHOW" or whatever the hell. It just seems like that kind of thing would be better suited to his style of..comedy, than just reviewing recent movies like everyone else.

Also, can we talk about the bad spelling in the videos? Is it just me who finds substituted homophone pairs incredibly annoying? Like..."a partridge in a pair tree", which is one that I noticed *ages* ago when I still watched his stuff? I know that's not really anyone's biggest problems with NC, but it seems sort of like..if you're going to fuss around doing all these green screen effects or whatever else, why not get someone to do an editorial check on the spelling?

One of the best Spoony videos was the one where he just geeked out over Knightmare.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Tatum Girlparts posted:

That could be really good, actually.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

OldMemes posted:

Barter Town and a lot of the first half or so is actually very good. It's the second half where the kids become much more prominent that drags it down.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Mokinokaro posted:

Barter Town and a lot of the first half or so is actually very good. It's the second half where the kids become much more prominent that drags it down.

AKA: Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome (And Into a Completely loving Different Movie)

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Heck he could even do foreign children's cartoons. Why not Doraemon?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Annointed posted:

Heck he could even do foreign children's cartoons. Why not Doraemon?

He can't mentally process Thomas the Tank Engine. What makes you think he could manage something from outside the US?

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

As an Australian, I nominate Round the Twist for this project.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 19, 2015

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

He can't mentally process Thomas the Tank Engine. What makes you think he could manage something from outside the US?
I don't. I just want to see his brain buckle under the weight of not getting cultural moars of what makes good kid shows in other corners of the globe.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

High Warlord Zog posted:

As an Australian, I nominate Round the Twist for this project.

If only man, if only. Round the Twist was such a loving weird series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

People could send in suggestions too. It's not like they don't already have creepersfans internationally.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 19, 2015

• Locked thread