Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Wonderslug posted:

It's only WARK east of the Mississippi.

Weird BIAS posted:

Wonderslug posted:

It's only WARK east of Midgar.

OK, I'll give you guys those. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Are we linking FF music covers now? Because I think I will.

8-bit Force Your Way is pretty darn cool. And to stay on topic they also covered this game's Battle theme. Again, watch for spoilers in name titles, though the first one or two in the FFIX tags are safe.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

FinalGamer posted:

If anyone here loves OCRemix or rearrangements in general, they just released a four-disc album commemorating Final Fantasy IX entitled "Worlds Apart" that I'm definitely downloading now because holy poo poo yes.
Like others have said, way too many metal remixes that most of the time doesn't even fit the theme. Also some really good tracks that they couldn't add to the album.
I was really pleasantly surprised by the Dali vocal cover though. Same with 1-04 Swords of Fury, Behind the Door, one of the few songs where the bombastic metal really works.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Are we linking FF music covers now? Because I think I will.

8-bit Force Your Way is pretty darn cool. And to stay on topic they also covered this game's Battle theme. Again, watch for spoilers in name titles, though the first one or two in the FFIX tags are safe.

One OCRemix one I really like is this cover of the FF9 battle theme that uses a Nokia cellphone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EESnr1kck2M

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I checked out the OC album but wasn't too impressed with what I've heard yet. KateTheGreat has a couple songs that I like on the album, but she has an excellent vocal version of Rose of May on the regular site. Speaking of, the album has technically sound version of Rose of May, but it takes a very emotional and contemplative song and takes all the heart out of it completely. That was my highlight disappointment.

I'm gonna check again to see if there are some other OC artists I can recognize to see if I can salvage the download.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Poor Steiner. :(

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Going to hopefully update tonight finally. Super Mario Maker is even more addicting than I expected and is the bane of all my precious free time.

Going to hold off until Friday, sorry.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 16, 2015

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011

Petiso posted:

SadSteiner

I literally "Awwww :(" ed at that. All Steiner wants is for Garnet to tell him he did a good job... And to get Zidane out of their hair, but we'll wait for Hell to freeze over for that one.

Eruza
Sep 4, 2011
Et tu, Garnet?

Thanks for that, that really made me laugh.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
So this LP got cooking while I was in the middle of moving, and since my free time after that was mostly FJF, I've only just now caught up with the LP. I loved TWD's LP of it in the Archive and this one is just as good. Thanks, Mega!

I really love this game. It's a shame their next love letter to the series had to be an MMO that I have no time for. :smith:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I would like to make a little note on Chocobo Hot and Cold (since I'm on disk 3 and a LOT of chocographs are available at this point) DON'T try to do it all at once. It'll probably take hours to do, even all at once. You WILL burn out and you might not complete the game if that happens, do a few story events between delving into the game-wide CH&C your mind will thank you for it. Oh, and rule of thumb? If you find an item and have about 5-6 seconds left on the clock? Dig like crazy and you'll get it most likely. You can get an item/10 second bonus/8 item cutoff on 0 seconds since the hidden milliseconds count.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Kemix posted:

I would like to make a little note on Chocobo Hot and Cold (since I'm on disk 3 and a LOT of chocographs are available at this point) DON'T try to do it all at once. It'll probably take hours to do, even all at once. You WILL burn out and you might not complete the game if that happens, do a few story events between delving into the game-wide CH&C your mind will thank you for it. Oh, and rule of thumb? If you find an item and have about 5-6 seconds left on the clock? Dig like crazy and you'll get it most likely. You can get an item/10 second bonus/8 item cutoff on 0 seconds since the hidden milliseconds count.

if you don't dig up all the chocographs as soon as they're available, I don't know what to tell you, other than that's very wrong.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
It's really a matter of just how much one likes CH&C. I love the poo poo out of it and thus I can play it for hours on end.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
You can get the oak staff crazy early if you're willing to do a tiny bit of chocobo related backtracking so I'm all for it.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Last week I went to see London Symphony Orchestra play Final Fantasy music with a guest appearance by Nobuo God drat Uematsu and it was pretty great. I bring it up because there was a pre show Q&A and while I didn't get picked to ask one (it would've been some boring poo poo about variable mixes or something, or maybe how he went about writing English lyrics or whatever, I'unno), one of the guys who did decided to use his moment on the mic with Nobuo God drat Uematsu to ask if he had ever heard of OCRemix.

Nobuo God drat Uematsu responded "Not really, no". The guy then begged him to check it out.

Bet you anything he was a contributor.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

Fedule posted:

one of the guys who did decided to use his moment on the mic with Nobuo God drat Uematsu to ask if he had ever heard of OCRemix.

Nobuo God drat Uematsu responded "Not really, no". The guy then begged him to check it out.

He gave me his email afterward and I sent him a link. :smaug:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Uematsu was adorable at the talk, I'll say that much. I love that this is a guy whose work has spawned an international fanbase (the guy hosting said it was pretty much the biggest turn-out for a pre-concert talk he had seen) and he's pretty much taking it all in stride with a sense of amusement like 'Oh a fanmade thing of mine? I didn't even hear about it, good job guys'.

Also the remixes done during the actual concert was amazing (their use of Vivi's theme during the IX portion was phenomenal).

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Uematsu was adorable at the talk, I'll say that much. I love that this is a guy whose work has spawned an international fanbase (the guy hosting said it was pretty much the biggest turn-out for a pre-concert talk he had seen) and he's pretty much taking it all in stride with a sense of amusement like 'Oh a fanmade thing of mine? I didn't even hear about it, good job guys'.

Also the remixes done during the actual concert was amazing (their use of Vivi's theme during the IX portion was phenomenal).
I think, no matter what you've done, any composer's ultimate dream is to see it performed live in a big concert. Because that's one of those few things everybody almost universally enjoys because they came for your music, and you gave it out in spades. It seems like the sort of thing you just bask in with adoration and for good reason.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Fedule posted:

...one of the guys who did decided to use his moment on the mic with Nobuo God drat Uematsu to ask if he had ever heard of OCRemix.

It'd be great if it was Prince of Darkness or someone else who remixed a popular FF song really well.

FinalGamer posted:

I think, no matter what you've done, any composer's ultimate dream is to see it performed live in a big concert. Because that's one of those few things everybody almost universally enjoys because they came for your music, and you gave it out in spades. It seems like the sort of thing you just bask in with adoration and for good reason.

I would love to see Nier/Drakengard 3 performed live. Can you imagine The Final Song presented like that?

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 19, 2015

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Zeikier posted:

I would love to see Nier/Drakengard 3 performed live. Can you imagine The Final Song presented like that?

The grim reminder: In order to get to Nier or D3 in concert, first we must suffer through the original Drakengard.

First we must. Hear. A. Sound.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

KataraniSword posted:

The grim reminder: In order to get to Nier or D3 in concert, first we must suffer through the original Drakengard.

This song and the rest of the first Drakengard's soundtrack are really good, though? Most of it is really chaotic, but it fits the game well.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you can listen to the bells without having unpleasant feelings, you're either way better at rhythm games than I am, or you just never played that part.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
The latter. I never said Drakengard was good to actually play. The gameplay seems like enough of a chore, and the game seemed interesting enough, to basically single-handedly justify Let's Plays, so I read The Dark Id's.

But you're right, soundtracks are all about context. I imagine associating Drakengard's OST with Drakengard might make it worse, not better.

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

Never trust anything with beady eyes and a knife. Especially if it offers hugs.
I rather like Drakengard's soundtrack, after getting into classical music a bit more. It's a bit of fun to pick out the different songs that were remixed into the soundtrack.

ultrafilter posted:

If you can listen to the bells without having unpleasant feelings, you're either way better at rhythm games than I am, or you just never played that part.

After a few years of listening to it on an MP3 player, the pain subsided.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Zeikier posted:

It'd be great if it was Prince of Darkness or someone else who remixed a popular FF song really well.

I would, legit, loving LOVE to see that live, I would actually fly to anywhere in the world just to hear that song performed live.

God I love that song, as horrifying as it is to DO in the original game with that part, it is such an amazing song.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx
The true drakengard experience would be to for everyone to stand up while the final song is playing while Dark Lord Taro comes up and kicks everyone in attendance in the crotch.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Going back to re-read old updates, I love how not even the developers or people in-universe know how the card game work.

It's like playing Yu-Gi-Oh with Duelist Kingdom rules or something.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
the best part is that people's confusion makes no sense in-universe. do they just sit at tables putting down cards and saying "... well, I guess you win this time for no reason"?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

morallyobjected posted:

the best part is that people's confusion makes no sense in-universe. do they just sit at tables putting down cards and saying "... well, I guess you win this time for no reason"?

This is how we played Pokemon when I was a kid.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Shoehead posted:

This is how we played Pokemon when I was a kid.

....granted

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
You're telling me that you don't play the Pokemon card game by seeing who can Gambit throw cards the best at walls from a long distance?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Dastardly posted:

You're telling me that you don't play the Pokemon card game by seeing who can Gambit throw cards the best at walls from a long distance?

We did that with football stickers until we got in trouble over it

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

zfleeman posted:

I don't know why, but this is my favorite plot device in any story ever. Beating up a guard to steal their uniform is too hysterical.

If you head into the bedroom afterwards, you'll find him locked in the closet and begging to be let out.

Pesky Splinter posted:

(LP Chapter 12 - Steiner talking with Morrid the coffee guy)

I order you to tell me when the cargo ship will arrive! Tell meeeeee!
You're not a very creative interrogator.
I am just trying to do what is right!
Who decides right or wrong? You?
Anyone can tell right from wrong.
Ha ha ha... Still as green as a pickle.
Alexandria, of course! Burmecia started the war, and we lost our king as a result.
Many wars were fought before the Lindblum Airship Revolution. Alexandria initiated some of the wars against Burmecia. Now can you tell me who was right or wrong?
I-I am not talking about the past! I am talking about the future!
What will you do if Alexandria starts a war?
When will the cargo ship arrive!?

Oh Steiner, you goof.

TravelLog posted:

The cut dialogue with Morrid is particularly interesting because of his Ultimania background (as I covered in the bios). He doesn't want to talk about the past to Morrid because 1) he doesn't want to remember the events that led to him being orphaned, and 2) he doesn't want to view the events that led to his tragedy as being anything other than an attack by evil forces upon whom he can lay his anger and grief.

Reminds me of Wakka. Shame we don't have Steiner interact with Freya much to glean that information, though.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 21, 2015

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
I haven't played this game for about uh... 15 years or something? And I still recognize a few areas. I should play it again.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

If you head into the bedroom afterwards, you'll find him locked in the closet and begging to be let out.

Oh Steiner, you goof.

Reminds me of Wakka. Shame we don't have Steiner interact with Freya much to glean that information, though.

I think its because Wakka was a bigot while Steiner is not. He never hates on anyone that isn't trying to actively do him harm or his charges.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Sum Mors posted:

I think its because Wakka was a bigot while Steiner is not. He never hates on anyone that isn't trying to actively do him harm or his charges.

Except in a vague, nationalistic way. It's "okay" to hate countries, but the people in that country's borders are still people, basically. It might be a vague bit hypocritical, but you're right that Steiner is never really bigoted about it, just blindly loyal to what is being blatantly hinted to be a not-so-great ruler.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That's what makes him a great character though. He wasn't below Dali when they discussed the barrels and saw the mages. And really, at this point that's the only clue anyone (besides Dagger) has that Brahne might be up to no good. He's by no means dumb, he just doesn't have all the facts

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

To be fair, Black Waltz #2 showed up and in no uncertain terms said "I'm here to take the Princess back to the castle."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
An evil subordinate doesn't necessarily imply an evil ruler quite like a hidden weapons factory does.

• Locked thread