Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Will Sliney is the artist of Spider-Man 2099 and here is a really cute thing he did.

http://willsliney.tumblr.com/post/129062050308/so-last-night-i-surprised-the-amazing-laura

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Then they better bring home uu Peter or man that chick can't catch a break.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They'll probably bring over MJ and Annie from Renew Your Vows because Annie is an Original Slott Creation Do Not Steal and he's hellbent on getting his OCs into the Spider-Man mythos no matter how much people reject them (Carlie Cooper).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That would be hella messy and please no one.so maybe

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

X-O posted:

Will Sliney is the artist of Spider-Man 2099 and here is a really cute thing he did.

http://willsliney.tumblr.com/post/129062050308/so-last-night-i-surprised-the-amazing-laura

Will Sliney is really good and this was extremely :3:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

That would be hella messy and please no one.so maybe

I'll just point out that DC is literally doing this exact thing with Clark and Lois so it's not impossible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ImpAtom posted:

I'll just point out that DC is literally doing this exact thing with Clark and Lois so it's not impossible.

No the difference here is that there would be one Peter and two Mary Janes.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Rhyno posted:

No the difference here is that there would be one Peter and two Mary Janes.

It's been done before.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Probably Magic posted:

It's been done before.

Is that Madeline Pryor?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Rhyno posted:

Is that Madeline Pryor?

Yeah, I was just being silly with the whole "two copies of a fiance for a male protagonist" theme.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Probably Magic posted:

Yeah, I was just being silly with the whole "two copies of a fiance for a male protagonist" theme.

I'm trying to think of actual instances and uh, Superman Red/Blue?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I just finished the Superior Foes of Spider-Man and THAT is how you write a good comic book. Just blown away by the fact that I gave a poo poo in the end about all these yahoos.

Do they pick up any of the threads they left at the end of the books? I mean I'm interested in the Shocker stuff.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Not really. I didn't like Superior Foes and didn't keep up with it, but I don't think any characters appeared in Slott's Superior or Amazing. If they have, I'm sure it was mostly ignored. The stuff that happens in that series is gonna be hard to transition to a serious book.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The new Beetle has been showing up in Ant Man.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Die Laughing posted:

The new Beetle has been showing up in Ant Man.

With her disappointing buddy Overdrive?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm a few weeks behind, I really enjoyed Spider-Verse (even though the end was a little "abrupt") and Renew Your Vows was good too. I would say that all the Secret Wars Spider books have been good. I haven't picked up Spider Island yet, but the first 2 issues I thought were pretty awesome.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

when is Secret Wars set to end?

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Aces High posted:

when is Secret Wars set to end?

December, but the ANAD stuff starts this coming Wednesday.

Edit: Well, December is the series as a whole. A lot of the tie-ins are ending soon or have ended already.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Elucidarius posted:

December, but the ANAD stuff starts this coming Wednesday.

Edit: Well, December is the series as a whole. A lot of the tie-ins are ending soon or have ended already.

And Agents of Atlas hasn't even started yet.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gaz-L posted:

And Agents of Atlas hasn't even started yet.

Its a one shot

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Its a one shot

Aw. :(

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Before all the usual Dan Slott hate gets started I just wanted to say as someone that has found most of Slott's stuff alright and not bad at all but not really so much great, which I know is sacrilege around here, I actually really loved the new book today. I like seeing a whole new direction for Peter like this. Maybe with Miles around and the other book about teenage Peter we'll finally get the chance for them to write Peter as somewhat confident and successful for a while when outside of the costume. Also another beautifully drawn book today along with Iron Man and Strange. Ok I've said my piece so you guys can get back to your Slott hate fest now.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Honestly, I enjoyed it. It was dumb and cheesy, but that's exactly what I expect out of Spider-man. The other mini stories were better/more enjoyable but I didn't think ASM was bad by any means.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, after the success of Renew Your Vows, Marvel does the entirely logical thing...and brings in the Regent, aka the one thing from that almost everybody agrees was the absolute weakest part of the story. I mean who was actually asking for that guy to come back?

Bravo, Marvel. Bravo.

Still, Spider-Island was good, and the backup story did a pretty drat great clean-up of all the crap Spider-Verse dumped on Spider-Girl. I mean I'd rather Peter hadn't died in the first place, but they did what they could with it. Also they jettisoned the lazy recycling of Peter's costume! :toot:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I didn't hate ASM today. It was just standard Slott. I like that Peter is mildly competent and that he figured out Sanjay's shenanigans. On the other hand, he's kind of loving with the ID mindwipe thing since people can "connect the dots" now with his identity but I guess that's a benefit of having presumably multiple Spider-Men all over the world.

I didn't really find the villains all that intriguing, and I'm a bit interested to learn how Parker Industries has quadrupled in growth.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just had a guy throw a fit over the new ASM #1.

"MARVEL SAID THE LAST SERIES WAS THE FINAL AMAZING SPIDER-MAN EVER WHAT THE gently caress."

And it had been so pleasant here lately.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I just had a guy throw a fit over the new ASM #1.

"MARVEL SAID THE LAST SERIES WAS THE FINAL AMAZING SPIDER-MAN EVER WHAT THE gently caress."

And it had been so pleasant here lately.

Did they ever even actually say that? And who believes comic companies about poo poo like that anyway? They're basically carnival barkers.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

X-O posted:

Before all the usual Dan Slott hate gets started I just wanted to say as someone that has found most of Slott's stuff alright and not bad at all but not really so much great, which I know is sacrilege around here, I actually really loved the new book today. I like seeing a whole new direction for Peter like this. Maybe with Miles around and the other book about teenage Peter we'll finally get the chance for them to write Peter as somewhat confident and successful for a while when outside of the costume. Also another beautifully drawn book today along with Iron Man and Strange. Ok I've said my piece so you guys can get back to your Slott hate fest now.

You poor deluded soul, he will never not be a pathetic loser. Never

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I laughed out loud at "Kraven's nipples called they want their face back".

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
It's really awesome that the amazing spider man is now teaching kids that you cant be a hero unless you're a mega rich owner of a multi million dollar company. What a wonderful message to send to young people who are down on their luck and don't have the luxury of being mega awesome and mega smart all the time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

It's really awesome that the amazing spider man is now teaching kids that you cant be a hero unless you're a mega rich owner of a multi million dollar company. What a wonderful message to send to young people who are down on their luck and don't have the luxury of being mega awesome and mega smart all the time.

This is the stupidest goddamn thing I've ever read.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

zoux posted:

This is the stupidest goddamn thing I've ever read.

The whole point of Spiderman is that peter parker provides the relatable face of the everyman, he was someone who is relatable and people can associate with, while he also goes about being a hero, he still needs to carry on with the struggles we're all faced with in our every day lives. By making him into a mega rich billionaire, they've removed any way to relate to him, he's now just another rich guy who 99% of young people will never be like.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

The whole point of Spiderman is that peter parker provides the relatable face of the everyman, he was someone who is relatable and people can associate with, while he also goes about being a hero, he still needs to carry on with the struggles we're all faced with in our every day lives. By making him into a mega rich billionaire, they've removed any way to relate to him, he's now just another rich guy who 99% of young people will never be like.

He's not a mega rich billionaire that's the whole point. He specifically talked about how his corp. is not-for-profit and that he's taking a middle manager's salary. He also talked about how Uncle Ben used to help people out even though he didn't have any money and did what he could with what he had. He's basically applying his Spiderman principles to global capitalism, which, I assume, is going to be a point of conflict going forward. Did you actually read the issue?

Like I dunno how you could read the pages where he lays out the vision for Parker Industries and come away with "Peter Parker is now a bad role model". Jesus Christ.

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 7, 2015

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Sounds like you should be reading Spider-Man instead of Amazing Spider-Man.

This was a really fun issue. Poor mans Tony Stark is a good hook to play with for a while. Bonus points for making the Living Brain creepy.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

zoux posted:

He's not a mega rich billionaire that's the whole point. He specifically talked about how his corp. is not-for-profit and that he's taking a middle manager's salary. He also talked about how Uncle Ben used to help people out even though he didn't have any money and did what he could with what he had. He's basically applying his Spiderman principles to global capitalism, which, I assume, is going to be a point of conflict going forward. Did you actually read the issue?

The thing is, most kids will struggle for the rest of their lives to pay their rent while the new peter parker will have everything he wants in life, it really is as simple as that. When a kid reads the old peter parker, he thinks, "wow this guy is down on his luck, he struggles with his girlfriend, he needs to deal with an overbearing boss just like I do, but he's inspired by his family, and he's doing what he can to help his community and save his town even when the biggest newspaper shits on me day in and day out, I should be more like him!"

but now, with this peter parker they will respond with " oh, of course, he's got everything and is super smart and handsome all the time and I've got nothing so there's no point in being a hero since all I have to look forward to is making my rent in time".

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 7, 2015

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
This is the Superior Spider-Man argument all over again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

The thing is, most kids will struggle for the rest of their lives to pay their rent while the new peter parker will have everything he wants in life, it really is as simple as that. When a kid reads the old peter parker, he thinks, "wow this guy is down on his luck, he struggles with his girlfriend, he needs to deal with an overbearing boss just like I do, but he's inspired by his family, and he's doing what he can to help his community and save his town, I should be more like him!"

but now, with this peter parker they will respond with " oh, of course, he's got everything and is super smart and handsome all the time and I've got nothing so there's no point in being a hero since all I have to look forward to is making my rent in time".

These kids are never going to have superpowers, but they are going to live under global capitalism and if the lessons they learn are "don't exploit 3rd world labor, executive compensation is out of control and do what you can with whatever money you have to help others" well then that's fine.

Your reading is so far off base, it only makes sense if you went into thinking "I hate Dan Slott. I will now dig up evidence to prove he sucks".

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Starsnostars posted:

This is the Superior Spider-Man argument all over again.

its all poo poo yeah.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

zoux posted:

These kids are never going to have superpowers, but they are going to live under global capitalism and if the lessons they learn are "don't exploit 3rd world labor, executive compensation is out of control and do what you can with whatever money you have to help others" well then that's fine.

Your reading is so far off base, it only makes sense if you went into thinking "I hate Dan Slott. I will now dig up evidence to prove he sucks".

I don't know who's Dan Slott, but I know who Spiderman and peter parker, and he's not someone who's successful day in, day out. Save that for a different character, or better yet, make what you're saying apply to Iron Man. Living under global capitalism means that you're going to have to learn that there's a good chance you'll end up being ground to dirt, Peter Parker was one of those people, but for a different era, maybe they could've changed his job or whatever but kept his overall social status so that's he's not a supremely unattainable persona to most people, you haven't just changed how much money he has, you've changed who he is, and a steely silicon valley business man who says fancy words but lives like a baller is not the reason why so many people liked spider man/peter parker to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
The fact of the matter is that Peter Parker in the 616 hasn't been the "everyman hero" for a while now, and there have been a lot of contortions to attempt to keep him in that role for a while that haven't entirely been successful. He's been an Avenger for more than a decade, and one of the biggest plot holes in the canon for decades has been that Peter could've been a millionaire whenever he wanted by patenting the web fluid. You might as well take the internationally-known, A-list super-hero and have him apply his convictions to benevolent multi-national capitalism for a while, since that's at least a fresh direction.

If you really need a ground-level, every-man superhero with webs, there's the flashback Spidey book, or you could switch over to Bendis's book with Miles. I'd be more excited to see where this plot's going if it wasn't Slott, but it's a pretty fresh take. More importantly, it almost seems to preclude a reset button.

I saw a guy's blog earlier where he was salty about Peter learning to speak conversational Mandarin with a few lessons in his spare time, and I thought that was a relatively facile complaint until I read this one.

• Locked thread