Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Doctor Goat posted:

Sometimes you'll get taken there if you sleep.

thanks!

also, Easy Mode content is great and worth a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
E: Wait I checked, easy mode is good.

Doctor Goat posted:

Wait, was it really? I blitzed through Joyful like an hour after it got released and I mainly only remember plot stuff

Well you'll have to go check now.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 12, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Anatharon posted:

I don't have a way to check, if easy mode is out how do you access it?

It's automatically added next time you're on Steam, I think. Go to the second crossroads--there will be a new opening beneath the save crow.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Easy mode's not bad but there's no TP recovery items, which can make it kind of annoying.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Guard against the enemies. You can block a lot of damage that way and simultaneously boost your TP by small increments. It takes a while, but it'll help you get through Easy Mode.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Yeah but the way it puts you against Big Lincoln so fast is crazy!

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Re listening to the soundtrack and it's better than ever.

I'm slowwwlyyyy working through a pain mode game before trying out easy mode.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What does easy mode change? Is it actually easier?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

You'll see for yourself.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

ninjewtsu posted:

It makes the entire game go right round.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

ninjewtsu posted:

it's worth booting up an old Lisa: The Joyful save to go to the second crossroads and experience for yourself.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Any tips for getting Lisa The First running on Windows 7 (this extends to other rpgmaker games like OFF). The enterbrain logo just loads for me and then I'm stuck on a black screen

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Relin posted:

Any tips for getting Lisa The First running on Windows 7 (this extends to other rpgmaker games like OFF). The enterbrain logo just loads for me and then I'm stuck on a black screen

Have you tried turning off the Steam overlay. Sometimes that's all there is to it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

Have you tried turning off the Steam overlay. Sometimes that's all there is to it.

Adding that this works whenever I have that issue (which seems to be sporadic, for w/e reason).

Isambard K. Brunel
Nov 2, 2011

``...an explosion in the engine room ... would have destroyed a lesser ship''

Blind Sally posted:

it's worth booting up an old Lisa: The Joyful save to go to the second crossroads and experience for yourself.

For anyone that hasn't yet, seconding this.

(Have 300 mags, or you won't be able to see much)

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Hi, LISA thread! Quick question, sorry if its been asked already but I don't want to read through this until I've finished a run, is The Joyful short enough to just sit down and smash out in one go or should I try to pace myself?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Knorth posted:

Hi, LISA thread! Quick question, sorry if its been asked already but I don't want to read through this until I've finished a run, is The Joyful short enough to just sit down and smash out in one go or should I try to pace myself?

It's, like, 3 or 4 hours of content tops.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Blind Sally posted:

It's, like, 3 or 4 hours of content tops.

Awesome, thank you :)

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
If you enjoy weird RPGs like earthbound and Lisa you might want to pick up Undertale on steam right now. It's really good and mostly a one man project too.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Blind Sally posted:

This is a problem with standalone titles, not steam releases unfortunately

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

FrickenMoron posted:

If you enjoy weird RPGs like earthbound and Lisa you might want to pick up Undertale on steam right now. It's really good and mostly a one man project too.

it also probably won't devolve into the developer actively hating their audience like Lisa has

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

what is it about his audience that he hates

I'm not aware of how he's interacted with them. are people just too excited for wasteland brutality

SomeIdiot
Apr 2, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

it also probably won't devolve into the developer actively hating their audience like Lisa has

So, you were one of the handful of people that were legitimately offended by the easy mode patch, huh? :v:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SomeIdiot posted:

So, you were one of the handful of people that were legitimately offended by the easy mode patch, huh? :v:

Nah, I think that's funny, and there's something admirable about sticking to your guns, but it doesn't change my feeling that Joyful is Bad and I rather effort have been put towards fixing that instead of loving with people.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

Nah, I think that's funny, and there's something admirable about sticking to your guns, but it doesn't change my feeling that Joyful is Bad and I rather effort have been put towards fixing that instead of loving with people.

:agreed:

I think Dingaling is a jerk in the funniest and best way possible, but at the end of the day it doesn't make LtJ good.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

FrickenMoron posted:

I tried playing the demo for this ages back but gave up after it crashed and I lost like an hour of progress. I can see that game getting better but the beginning is pretty boring with how the initial dungeon goes.

Blockhouse posted:

I don't think Dingaling hates his audience he just enjoys loving with people.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Dingaling is just doing what he enjoys and that's jokes where the joke is on the audience. That's not him hating his audience, it's just him making the kind of game he wants to make.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Do the new skills help at least?

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

Blackheart posted:

Do the new skills help at least?

The sleep bomb makes the band fight possible with rando and no firebombs.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The low accuracy multislash sucks as much as they do in Painful.

SomeIdiot
Apr 2, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

Fair enough. Joyful is definitely lacking in places, but there were enough enjoyable parts (Rando's characterization, the hallucination sequence, the music) that I didn't really feel like the weak points took too much away from it.
Personally, easy mode fixed one of my main issues with Joyful. It just wasn't nearly as funny before easy mode was added, and that whole sequence is easily one of the funniest things in either game.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Residual Toast posted:

The sleep bomb makes the band fight possible with rando and no firebombs.

If you thought the band fight wasn't possible with rando and no firebombs, you are mistaken. It's totally beatable without sleep bombs.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't think Dingaling hates his audience he just enjoys loving with people.

On the other hand he's said he hates when his fans talk to him. :v:

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

I don't think he hates fans as much as insufferable kickstarter backers with dumb characters

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
On the Steam Community topic for easy mode there's a guy on the first page going on about how it's all thanks to him that easy mode was made and then on the next page he posts a video on how to edit RPGmaker games.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Ezzer posted:

I don't think he hates fans as much as insufferable kickstarter backers with dumb characters

I came into the game pretty late, does someone have a list of all the kickstarter charecters? I liked the guy that kicks Brad in the balls btw

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I came into the game pretty late, does someone have a list of all the kickstarter charecters? I liked the guy that kicks Brad in the balls btw

Party members are Beastborn, Yazen, Jack, RT, Garth, and Sonny. Satan's a backer boss I believe.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Ezzer posted:

Garth was pretty dumb. The rest stuck out like a sore thumb but I quite enjoyed Jack and Yazan being weirdos. I never used Sonny or RT ever though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I think a lot of the gangs are either inspired by real people or kickstarters, as well. Like the group on Dismal island, which the wiki says is based on Jim Sterling and his "Dismal Jesters" podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeIdiot
Apr 2, 2014

pon alien posted:

Party members are Beastborn, Yazen, Jack, RT, Garth, and Sonny. Satan's a backer boss I believe.

Honestly not too bad. Only particularly bad ones are RT and Garth. Sonny's just kinda dull.

• Locked thread