Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

Conceivably you're supposed to use Performance for this, except oops they split Performance charms up by instrument used and while there are a bunch for speaking there are none for writing. Presumably if someone directly transcribes something your character says while making a Performance roll the ink just turns to ash before it can soak into the paper.

You can also use spoken Linguistics stuff for social influence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Bedlamdan posted:

You can also use spoken Linguistics stuff for social influence.

I'm honestly not sure how the gently caress you're supposed to differentiate it from Performance (Oratory), tbqh. Does it turn to linguistics if you speak in verse at any point or something?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Transient People posted:

I'm honestly not sure how the gently caress you're supposed to differentiate it from Performance (Oratory), tbqh. Does it turn to linguistics if you speak in verse at any point or something?

I just assumed Performance is stuff like dramatic oratory or singing, while Linguistics is just clever turns of phrase or language.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Ferrinus posted:

Conceivably you're supposed to use Performance for this, except oops they split Performance charms up by instrument used and while there are a bunch for speaking there are none for writing. Presumably if someone directly transcribes something your character says while making a Performance roll the ink just turns to ash before it can soak into the paper.

It's vitally important that the performance tree has three charms that all do nothing but double 9s for different kinds of performance, ok? It preserves the feel of the setting.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Nihnoz posted:

It's vitally important that the performance tree has three charms that all do nothing but double 9s for different kinds of performance, ok? It preserves the feel of the setting.

you will take your double 9's to dancing and you will like it

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I like the martial arts in this. Black Claw Style sounds fun, even if Tiger and Snake are way better. Someone told me White Reaper kind of sucks, which is a shame because it's the only one compatible with all armors.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

I like the martial arts in this. Black Claw Style sounds fun, even if Tiger and Snake are way better. Someone told me White Reaper kind of sucks, which is a shame because it's the only one compatible with all armors.

White Reaper is best against Battlegroups, the only problem being that you'll grind Battlegroups into paste more slowly with just regular charms.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
It's a bit more complicated than that. White Reaper works best when you have a Battlegroup as an opponent...but most importantly, you have a named character around that you want to kill too. You farm the BG for init and womp the named character more easily that way, but the problem is, that's a lot of finicky setup compared to every other mart and the native solar charmset. It's better to take something more reliable at that point, honestly.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

It also works very well in fights against multiple non-trivial combatants, like most credible DB opposition you'll face, so it's kinda the go-to Style for squaring off against a Sworn Brotherhood or a fang of Shikari. It's better when there's also a Battle Group on the field so you can Dynasty Warriors it up, but it's not useless without it - Revolving Crescent Defense with Mastery is worth the price of admission on its own, although Enemies Like Grass could use some clarification if the Halo-boosted effect lets you use multiple Withering attacks against targets that aren't Battle Groups.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
If you didn't have to buy up White Reaper as a totally seperate ability to other MA's a one charm dip for it's fantastic opening charm would be great though, it's such a cheap, easily grabbed Defensive Utility outside of the buy in

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
So I know nothing about Exalted, and the OP is two years old/unedited. Is this going to be Worth Trying? Will actual hardcovers be available for Johnny-avoids-Kickstarter types?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The best way to fight is to just have a pack of Tyrant Lizards and boost them with Survival charms anyway.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

orangelex44 posted:

So I know nothing about Exalted, and the OP is two years old/unedited. Is this going to be Worth Trying? Will actual hardcovers be available for Johnny-avoids-Kickstarter types?

Most likely, yes, it's at least worth trying (as long as you don't play a crafter). There's a leak available online, and you can get the hardcover later on via drive-thru.

I'd probably find the leak first, and see if you're into it before shelling out cash.

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 18, 2015

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

orangelex44 posted:

It's finally a legitimately good game, the problem lies if you were a backer or were anticapting the release and had to deal with the mixture of bad luck and incompetence in this being released on time. Also creepy poo poo that MIGHT come out later in supplments that might be legitimately offensive even to people outside this board by a far margin.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

NutritiousSnack posted:

It's finally a legitimately good game, the problem lies if you were a backer or were anticapting the release and had to deal with the mixture of bad luck and incompetence in this being released on time. Also creepy poo poo that MIGHT come out later in supplments that might be legitimately offensive even to people outside this board by a far margin.

Yeah. It looks like a lot of the basic warts and newbie traps will remain (the problems that come with the current setup of Abilities, light vs heavy weapons, BP vs XP, complete lack of a real Bureaucracy projects system, etc) but the core systems of fighting people and convincing people to work for you actually work this time around.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
One thing that concerns me is the long, long, long list of charms. To those who've played it, was such a list really necessary?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Covok posted:

One thing that concerns me is the long, long, long list of charms. To those who've played it, was such a list really necessary?

Plainly? Probably not. The only real benefit comes from having a huge bunch of different player options, to the point where people who specialize in similar areas can still end up doing really different things. There's really no way you can buy all the charms in a single tree in one game, never mind every single one of them.

That said, I would be surprised if quite a few of them weren't cut, because the unedited leak was too fricking big to publish feasibly.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Covok posted:

Necessary, no. Nice and useful, yes. Charmlist length isn't the issue, it's that some charm trees (Craft, Performance) have speedbump charms. When no charm is a speedbump (Melee, for instance), those big lists sing.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Covok posted:

Exalted is a crunchy game. If you are not into that, it may not appeal to you as much. As someone who likes games with a lot of mechanical weight to it, 3e does a pretty drat good job in most cases - far better than 2e or 2.5e did.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
So what charm trees do you guys like the most and the least? I've found Lore good, save for that branch where you gift people your XP because that doesn't seem to be fun unless you're playing a martial arts instructor or some other really specific type of character. Larceny also has some really fun charms. The combat charms as a whole are really great too.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 19, 2015

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Thanks for the opinions, all - I took a super-quick look at the leak, saw the whole "900 pages" thing, and as I am a nerd, have decided I must try this. I'll even be kind enough to wait (and pay!) for official release, if for no other reason than to have some bedtime reading for the next year or so.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Which would be more distressing, someone telling you they were going to read Atlas Shrugged cover to cover for pleasure, or Exalted 3E for the same reason

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

tatankatonk posted:

Which would be more distressing, someone telling you they were going to read Atlas Shrugged cover to cover for pleasure, or Exalted 3E for the same reason

One of these books is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, is Exalted.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Much of Exalted reads like a critique of Atlas Shrugged, reminding the reader that being a scientific genius and indispensable to society does not make you any less of a dick for abusing your power for fun and profit.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

So what charm trees do you guys like the most and the least? I've found Lore good, save for that branch where you gift people your XP because that doesn't seem to be fun unless you're playing a martial arts instructor or some other really specific type of character. Larceny also has some really fun charms. The combat charms as a whole are really great too.

My most favorite is ride, which I didn't really expect. I wanna be a mongol, drat it.

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Much of Exalted reads like a critique of Atlas Shrugged, reminding the reader that being a scientific genius and indispensable to society does not make you any less of a dick for abusing your power for fun and profit.

Not to mention that society was most likely correct for rejecting you, to the point where a return to bronze age society was seen as an even lesser evil than just completely leaving you to your own devices.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Roadie posted:

One of these books is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, is Exalted.
One of these features improbable characters in distressingly nonconsensual relationships, and the other is often cited by Republican politicians as an inspiration.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Transient People posted:

Assuming full excellency dice for anything but a Holy Rider build isn't a good idea in general. Mote efficiency is too huge to go overspending like that for anything but extremely important attacks, like counters, clashes and decisives. I'd do something more like, say...Hailshattering Practice (e1) vs Excellent Strike, or EStrike vs Drifting Leaf Elusion, which is generally much closer to how actual fights play out. I would also not assume maxed stats on both sides in general, because Stamina is a bad deal unless you go all-in on Resistance for EGT mote-generation, and Strength offers a bit more bang for the buck plus can be pushed higher (thanks to ISE), but that's honestly quibbling at that point. The main thing is that assuming maxed out pools is something that's pretty heavy theorycraft, at least according to my play experience. Other players can weigh in with their own experiences if they've seen significantly different results, but I've found that motes are too precious a resource to just burn yourself out unless you face opposition that outmatches you.

EDIT: There is also the matter of how Dodge pays through the nose to wear heavy armor, due to needing to use Shadow Over Water OR invest in Resistance to cancel mobility penalties, which isn't reflected in that analysis either, but this is pretty complicated stuff and I totally understand sticking to one starting case first before branching out.

I played the Dawn in my game and tended to full excellency everything that wasn't part of Iron Whirlwind Attack, under the philosophy that it's not mote-efficient to spend any amount of motes on attacks that are likely to miss and defenses that are likely to be penetrated. Part of this was that I was hamstrung by using a heavy weapon though and maybe with a medium weapon I could have afforded to be more conservative rather than seeking to end battles quickly.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Attacks aren't likely to miss, generally speaking. Even against maximum-Parry enemies, a Heavy weapon using Excellent Strike is statistically likely to hit. Against anything else, the chances of a miss are infinitesimal. This gets even more pronounced with Mediums and Lights (The latter have, what, a 5% chance of missing? And a more-than-50% chance against a Dragonblooded using a full excellency on defense?). It's why spending more motes than you get back each round is kinda wasteful. You just end up mote-tapping yourself and have to deal with noncombat challenges using pools you can't boost. I should know, I've played a Heavy user. The only time I had to spend more motes than my regen was when I had to fight multiple individual enemies and battlegroups and using counterattacks to oneshot people was too important to avoid getting mobbed.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
If you're talking about weak enemies and mortals yes, but I fought a lot of stuff like shikaris with 11 base dice, Abyssal Exalted, dangerous monsters, etc.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Transient People posted:

Attacks aren't likely to miss, generally speaking. Even against maximum-Parry enemies, a Heavy weapon using Excellent Strike is statistically likely to hit.

Is it, though. If you assume a heavy artifact weapon with Excellent Strike (12 nine-sided dice, each of which has five blank sides, three +1 success sides, and one +2 success side, in effect), you have:

...a 91.55% chance of at least 5 successes,
...an 81.67% chance of at least 6 successes,
...a 67.58% chance of at least 7 successes,

assuming your enemy isn't using any defensive dice tricks of their own. It drops off real sharply after that: ~50% for 8, ~35% for 9... I don't call a 68% chance "statistically likely". Yes, over infinite attacks you'll hit more often than you miss, but that's a lot of lost turns.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

I don't call a 68% chance "statistically likely".
What would you call statistically likely, then?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Obviously, a 69% chance.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

Obviously, a 69% chance.

Nice.

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
Unrelated question: what should you spend your Solar XP on if you aren't a martial artist (MA charms) or a sorcerer (spells) and don't have a cool artifact (evocations)?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Base stats. It pays to have 5s in all your attributes, etc.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Should I max abilities or attributes first? Abilities are cheaper and you need them to unlock charms, but attributes apply to a lot of things.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

Should I max abilities or attributes first? Abilities are cheaper and you need them to unlock charms, but attributes apply to a lot of things.

I'd probably max abilities first to make sure I wasn't ever at risk of missing charm prereqs down the line.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

You max abilities first, but "first" here frequently just means "in chargen". You easily get enough points to start out with 5s in several of your favorites.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Ferrinus posted:

You max abilities first, but "first" here frequently just means "in chargen". You easily get enough points to start out with 5s in several of your favorites.

Yeah, especially with how long trees are in 3; if you max a few core abilities you can easily go most of the game off those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

Is it, though. If you assume a heavy artifact weapon with Excellent Strike (12 nine-sided dice, each of which has five blank sides, three +1 success sides, and one +2 success side, in effect), you have:

...a 91.55% chance of at least 5 successes,
...an 81.67% chance of at least 6 successes,
...a 67.58% chance of at least 7 successes,

assuming your enemy isn't using any defensive dice tricks of their own. It drops off real sharply after that: ~50% for 8, ~35% for 9... I don't call a 68% chance "statistically likely". Yes, over infinite attacks you'll hit more often than you miss, but that's a lot of lost turns.

You forgot stunt dice. Your pool should be 14 dice for a Heavy, 16 for a Medium, 18 for a Light.

Thug Lessons posted:

If you're talking about weak enemies and mortals yes, but I fought a lot of stuff like shikaris with 11 base dice, Abyssal Exalted, dangerous monsters, etc.

No, I'm talking characters with maxed out dicepools. Anybody who isn't Parrying with a Light or Medium artifact weapon is very easily hit, from a purely mathematical standpoint.

• Locked thread