Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Scratch Monkey posted:

Holy poo poo turn off your phone YOU'LL KILL US ALL!!!

My friend got very worried that she'd forgotten to put her phone on airplane mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
if i was multibillionaire I think that would be my personal pet project, gently caress magnet trains and poo poo, gonna fly around the world in a Concorde

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Colonial Air Force posted:

My friend got very worried that she'd forgotten to put her phone on airplane mode.

I get signal at 10,000 feet. Lol.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CharlesM posted:

I managed to get a GPS fix at FL350 last time I was flying commercial. :v:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CharlesM posted:

So two miles from a tower. Congratulations.

I had a handheld GPS on a Germany-US C-17 flight. It was mildly entertaining for a few seconds every couple of hours, but I had to stick it in a window to get any signal at all.

And gently caress the haters, I want the Concorde back so I can fly on one.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Few months back I got to fly in a C-47 from Pennsylvania to Michigan. Most of the flight I couldn't get a signal, but I did get a solid 4G connection over Youngstown.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

rscott posted:

if i was multibillionaire I think that would be my personal pet project, gently caress magnet trains and poo poo, gonna fly around the world in a Concorde

Nah, ticket to space for me, thanks.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
You could have caused the plane to crash guys, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
When someone next to me hasn't just left their cellular network on but is continuing some mindless chat conversation on the takeoff roll I do get pretty pissed off.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I had GPS signal on all the most recent commercial flights I've been on. windows phone has terrible app support but glorious hardware.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Jumpingmanjim posted:

You could have caused the plane to crash guys, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Jealous Cow posted:

When someone next to me hasn't just left their cellular network on but is continuing some mindless chat conversation on the takeoff roll I do get pretty pissed off.

gently caress that, I don't trust any passenger to determine for themselves which electronics are safe to use in flight. Turn your bullshit off and do as you're told, you entitled plebes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dead Reckoning posted:

gently caress that, I don't trust any passenger to determine for themselves which electronics are safe to use in flight. Turn your bullshit off and do as you're told, you entitled plebes.

.....but it doesn't DO anything.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

Except piss people around you off.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Really? Did the passengers all take their cell phones and get them flight certified?

The only reason we know it probably doesn't do anything is because a bunch of babies who couldn't wait until they got to the terminal to check Facebook have been flight testing it without permission. I guarantee that when someone brings their electric back massager or microwave gun or DJI Phantom or whatever finally does cause a Problem, the first words out of their mouth will be "I thought it was fine" followed shortly by "but everyone uses their cellphones."

Obey all crew member instructions and lighted placards.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Really? Did the passengers all take their cell phones and get them flight certified?

The only reason we know it probably doesn't do anything is because a bunch of babies who couldn't wait until they got to the terminal to check Facebook have been flight testing it without permission. I guarantee that when someone brings their electric back massager or microwave gun or DJI Phantom or whatever finally does cause a Problem, the first words out of their mouth will be "I thought it was fine" followed shortly by "but everyone uses their cellphones."

Aircraft have to deal with bigger sources of interference than cell phones. Consumer stuff usually doesn't work in the frequency range of aircraft comms. The rules aren't there due to interference, its an issue of passenger attentiveness in the case that they need to follow instructions, and not having loose objects become projectiles.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
If cell phones and other consumer electronics could gently caress up airplanes that easily, terrorists would've done it long ago and/or we wouldn't be allowed to even have them on the plane at all outside of checked luggage.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Flagrant Abuse posted:

we wouldn't be allowed to even have them on the plane at all outside of checked luggage.

God willing.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Dead Reckoning posted:

Can't tell if joking or insane.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Leather Bear posted:

Once again, the USAF is the world's dominant air power not because of our weaponry, aircraft, or personnel, although those certainly do play a significant role. Logistics and planning is our strength.

Which, when you consider our planning abilities as executed, is really less a compliment on us and more a comment on everyone else.

Delivery McGee posted:

Edit: do the F-35 and F-22 have "affectionate" nicknames yet? Along the lines of Stinkbug, Mudhen, Hog, Viper, etc.?

Craptor

Godholio posted:

As far the airshow, it was called the Air Force Firepower Demo 2007. It was somewhere between Nellis and Creech.

Probably somewhere in the lower 60-series on the NTTR, there's a couple of live fire ranges up there. How far off 95 did you have to drive to get to the viewing stands?

Leather Bear posted:

That's an insane amount of money to burn on a single use drone.

We did use a bunch of ate-up Preds in a similar fashion at the start of Operation Desert Storm Part II: Electric Boogaloo

But those were like barely a million a pop since we pulled the balls off of them.

My favorite part of these pictures is the quarter-century old AIM-9Ms on the AF's newest air dominance fighter, because that's the highest tech WVR dogfight missile that it's capable of carrying.

Spiral development: not even once.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
hey I wrecked a whooooooooole lot of dudes with AIM-9Ms in Falcon 3.0, thank you

the alternative was a -9P? Something rear-aspect only.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

Enourmo posted:

KF-117, for refueling the drones in secret.

Reminded me of that stupid, 'Russia are building a stealth transport plane!!11!!' article from a while back, which led my train of thought to: AC-117 :black101:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

inkjet_lakes posted:

Reminded me of that stupid, 'Russia are building a stealth transport plane!!11!!' article from a while back, which led my train of thought to: AC-117 :black101:

Oh yeah, the beautiful ginormous skywhale that's somehow stealth and hypersonic despite every single part of its design making it impossible to be stealthy or to cross Mach 1.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

iyaayas01 posted:

Probably somewhere in the lower 60-series on the NTTR, there's a couple of live fire ranges up there. How far off 95 did you have to drive to get to the viewing stands?

It was closer than I'd have expected.

Of course, that was the trip where our van lost all steering as we entered the parking lot of the hotel on the way back after the event. And of course Nellis tried to blame us.

Yeah, no.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dead Reckoning posted:

As someone who actually deals with Avionics:

It. Doesn't. Do. Anything. At all. Even the FAA has admitted as much.

Your cell phone is not going to overpower any of the receivers or transcievers. It's not even on the same frequencies. And landing guidance systems are not that sensitive.

Stop watching loving Die Hard.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 19, 2015

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
It's an FCC rule anyway, not an FAA rule, which clues you in to how pertinent it is to flight operations.

It's explained here:

https://www.fcc.gov/guides/wireless-devices-airplanes

quote:

Q: Why are you doing this now?

The FCC's current rules prohibiting use of cellphones on planes were adopted more than 20 years ago to protect against radio interference to cellphone networks on the ground. Technology that can be installed directly on an airplane is now available to prevent such interference and has already been deployed successfully in many other countries around the world without incident. This is purely a technical decision; it will, if adopted, allow airline carriers free to develop any in-flight phone usage policy they may wish, consistent with applicable rules.

It is not about protecting aircraft systems. It never has been.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
Haha the very idea of people getting mad about cell phone useage on planes. Dude these airplanes are so well shielded you need an intense solar flare to disrupt the electronics on most modern airplanes. Unless the shielding on the important wire harness are cracked or deteriorating then welp makes you think .

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

someone please quote that at him the next time he complains about laptops on awacs or some other random af rule

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Ferret King posted:

It's an FCC rule anyway, not an FAA rule, which clues you in to how pertinent it is to flight operations.

It's explained here:

https://www.fcc.gov/guides/wireless-devices-airplanes

It is not about protecting aircraft systems. It never has been.

I knew about the FCC rule, but I thought he was referring to the FAA

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Greataval posted:

Haha the very idea of people getting mad about cell phone useage on planes.

On the other hand, it would be pretty annoying.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

CommieGIR posted:

I knew about the FCC rule, but I thought he was referring to the FAA

I question whether it would have been made an FAA rule if the FCC hadn't created theirs.

I'll confess I don't know the chronology of the rule making. It's all just so stupid and unecessary.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Greataval posted:

Haha the very idea of people getting mad about cell phone useage on planes. Dude these airplanes are so well shielded you need an intense solar flare to disrupt the electronics on most modern airplanes. Unless the shielding on the important wire harness are cracked or deteriorating then welp makes you think .

Some trainer we had was saying that if you drive a big block without insulated ignition wires around an airport the noise they would create would gently caress with avionics. Any truth to this?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Preoptopus posted:

Some trainer we had was saying that if you drive a big block without insulated ignition wires around an airport the noise they would create would gently caress with avionics. Any truth to this?

Might make noise on the VHF/HF band, but I doubt it'll really 'interfere'

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Non shielded wires to throw out RF noise for sure, but it's quite short ranged and being a big block would have nothing to do with it.

Also, if cell phones/electronic device interference caused real issues we would have had problems for years. That said, obey flight crew instructions, even if you see them on them texting on their own cell after they said to turn off your phones.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Greataval posted:

Gamma rays will do it too!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Can someone explain how exactly it makes sense that cellphones have to be turned off so that they don't interfere with cellphone networks? :psyduck:

Maybe the airplane's speed or altitude or ??? affects the signal somehow and this is the source of the problem?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mostly because early cell networks weren't designed to cell-switch at mach .8

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Phoneposting, so the short version is that the assumption in cell networks is that your phone can only see or be seen by a few towers at a time. Things can go wrong if this assumption turns out to be false.

I don't think it really matters in the era of digital networks.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Several hundred aircraft per hour, with several hundred people on board each, constantly polling multiple cell towers during low altitude flight segments (line of sight for 100 miles), near a busy metropolitan airport, can cause issues for phone providers.

That is the reason I've been told. I'd believe it if you told me it was an obsolete concern, but I don't know for sure.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Preoptopus posted:

Sort of.

Spark plugs are really good at creating broadband RF interference - the first radio transmitters were just a spark gap in open air used to send Morse code. The spark gap in an engine is pretty well shielded inside the engine block, but the high-frequency noise can easily run back up the plug wires. Since aviation is almost all AM, if somebody's broadcasting interference, you're likely to hear it.

This is true whether you're talking about a big block or a moped engine, and the insulation on the wires has nothing to do with it. Every vaguely modern ignition system (even points-based stuff!) will counteract this noise. Older cars with a distributor and single coil typically just used a capacitor connected between the ignition coil's low side positive terminal and ground, and carbon plug wires with fairly high resistance values. That's not perfect, but it's enough that an AM radio in the car can receive something other than engine noise.

If some guy had a homebuilt big block hot rod, he might have run low-resistance solid copper plug wires and not bothered with buying or hooking up the suppression capacitor - if he's not listening to the radio, or running interference-prone electronics, he doesn't have much reason to care. But, if he runs that car up and down the flight line, everybody else will hear his engine in their headset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

All praise Google, I found this article that explains cellular tech really well:
http://www.mat.ucsb.edu/~g.legrady/academic/courses/03w200a/projects/wireless/cell_technology.htm

From that you can extrapolate that, using older technology, seeing multiple cells with limited users and frequencies can actually be a problem. On the ground you can use the same frequency as a cell one grid space removed from you and it wouldn't be an issue, but in the air where you can see both cells equidistant, and you can only have 56 simultaneous users, you can see how it could lead to poo poo that AT&T didn't want to have to deal with at the time. Now (and for a while) it probably doesn't matter, and in typical fashion, the regulatory agencies are only just catching up.