Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Truga posted:

The only "proper" RNG is radioactive decay RNG, but that's *really* stupid to use over a game I'd say. Plus, it probably isn't cheap either.

Some big lab needs to do it. For science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Truga posted:

The only "proper" RNG is radioactive decay RNG, but that's *really* stupid to use over a game I'd say. Plus, it probably isn't cheap either.

it is actually pretty cheap

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Elentor posted:

Some big lab needs to do it. For science.

Do what? Radioactive RNG is used pretty commonly these days, and the principle is super simple too. Decay event = 1, no event = 0. Get an unstable element, put it next to a geiger counter, choose a time frame depending on how many events on average you get per second.

Done.

vvv: Oh.

Truga fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 18, 2015

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Truga posted:

Do what? Radioactive RNG is used pretty commonly these days, and the principle is super simple too. Decay event = 1, no event = 0. Get an unstable element, put it next to a geiger counter, choose a time frame depending on how many events on average you get per second.

Done.

Use it as a backend system for an MMO :v:.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The only time I get annoyed with RNG is when I'm at 98% on a craft and I don't HQ it. But that's happened only a couple of times versus the many many times I get HQ. Still, those few times have made me sure to not be lazy about crafting and get that poo poo to 100%.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

One of the guys in my static just had an epiphany:

quote:

i just realized while watching the tgs trailer that the lost boss of the msq is literally a dragongod knightking

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Uh oh, people are starting to figure us out.

(People in DGKK have been saying reactor was literally made for us for a long time now :v:)

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
I still don't know what DGKK stands for, but I've always just imagined it was "don't get killed, kid".

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's Dragongod Knightking

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

See, they're all in PBC and I'm in TPT, so it wasn't anything that clicked with us right away.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Velveteen posted:

I find scholar books to be really small and insignificant. Other classes get cool weapons like this black mage I saw in neverreap with a super cute ladybug staff. The wings even open up when its in attack stance. Like what the heck? All I get is some dumb book that looks like every other book I've had since I was an arcanist at level one.

Munificent Mogtome

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Mogtomes look great, the Zeta and Diamond books look cool, and the Nexus book is downright hilarious and looks like everyone in the same area is going to get radiation poisoning. I'm actually tempted to go through to Nexus again so I can glamour it every now and then.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Elentor posted:

7) There's a good history of devs using bad random number generators in games. I remember reading about a game using an RNG that produced long sequences of 0s, can't remember the name of the algorithm.

It may have been Heroes of Newerth, which used a highly predictable RNG seed for certain actions. One of the heroes, Blacksmith, had a passive ability that gave a % chance for him to cast his spells multiple times, and someone figured out that the seed was essentially fixed, such that you would always get the % proc at specific times on the in-game clock.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Truga posted:

Mogtomes look great, the Zeta and Diamond books look cool, and the Nexus book is downright hilarious and looks like everyone in the same area is going to get radiation poisoning. I'm actually tempted to go through to Nexus again so I can glamour it every now and then.

just get the fake nexus book from geralt's assistant

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

seiferguy posted:

The only time I get annoyed with RNG is when I'm at 98% on a craft and I don't HQ it. But that's happened only a couple of times versus the many many times I get HQ. Still, those few times have made me sure to not be lazy about crafting and get that poo poo to 100%.

I once witnessed a friend NQ five 99% crafts in a row. Since another friend failed a ton of similarly likely gathers in a row at the same time, I was starting to worry that the whole RNG algorithm had broken for a while.

But yeah, almost all cases of "the RNG is broken!" are just confirmation bias after you get a frustrating failure.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

kharaa posted:

just get the fake nexus book from geralt's assistant

I honestly didn't know you could do that. Someone told me old versions were at the calamity salvager, but only the original relic was there, so I just thought I'd have to re-grind it.

Thanks a lot for telling me this, you've saved me quite a bit of grind :3:

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
If you're European and want to play on a server that's not located an ocean and half a continent away from you, consider transferring to the new Chaos datacenter.

NB: Transfers off the Chaos servers (Cerberus / Lich / Moogle / Odin / Phoenix / Ragnarok / Shiva / Zodiark) are free for a limited time, but transfers onto them are not.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Note that, as far as I can tell, the 1 million + 500k per retainer cap for gil when transferring is still in, so it'd behoove you to investigate prices on your destination server and see if you can spin a profit by buying on Chaos before you leave.

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

The Chairman posted:

NB: Transfers off the Chaos servers (Cerberus / Lich / Moogle / Odin / Phoenix / Ragnarok / Shiva / Zodiark) are free for a limited time, but transfers onto them are not.
Now that is some baloney.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Elentor posted:

10) These issues can show clear patterns or trends and with enough samples people can detect flaws in the system that cannot be statistically attributed to "just RNG", because at some point the margin of error is so low they'd indicate the RNG algorithm is bad if it's producing such aberrations in the first place. We had this case in HW with the change in Good Procs.

This was super frustrating right when HW came out. I had hit 60 crafter almost immediately and was complaining about good procs seeming like they were horribly nerfed and people thought I was a loony. :(

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Elentor posted:

7) There's a good history of devs using bad random number generators in games. I remember reading about a game using an RNG that produced long sequences of 0s, can't remember the name of the algorithm.

Warframe had a bugged RNG. https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/128402-rng-algorithm-bugschanges/

And, of course, there was always the infamous Wi flag.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I know I'm a bit late, but I beat Heavensward last night.

Man, this is a really good game. The final dungeon and fight were excellent.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

if it only it lasted for another 4 months, poo poo's extremely boring right now

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Dr Pepper posted:

I know I'm a bit late, but I beat Heavensward last night.

Man, this is a really good game. The final dungeon and fight were excellent.

They really are, its a shame they arn't in any rotations. :3:

ilifinicus posted:

if it only it lasted for another 4 months, poo poo's extremely boring right now

Alex is a fun set of raids, exdr gets really old really fast, seal rock is alright if you enjoy pvp. 3.1's not that far away is it?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
We find out tonight.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

My best guess is mid-October. We'll find out later tonight, most likely (and if we don't, then we should start sweating).

Really, if I was developing FFXIV with the budget that they've got, I'd be focusing most of my efforts into creating more dynamic systems to sustain player interest, especially given the wide division of casual/midcore/hardcore the game's attracted. The setpiece stuff is great a handful of times, but it quickly loses its luster and turns into extremely predictable sequences of events. The split between the various "types" of players leads you to getting something like the weird Alex NM/Alex Savage split that swings between "easily defeated by any party ever" and "ball-busting" levels of difficulty, which seems to be pleasing very few people.

Games like League of Legends or TF2 can go for months and months without so much as a balance patch, and still generate significant player interest (and revenue), owing to the fact that, while the underlying components of the game are the same, each match has a level of variation that keeps it feeling fresh. The difficulty is figuring out how to transpose the variability that makes competitive games so much fun into a largely PVE, AI-driven setting.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 18, 2015

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Thyrork posted:

They really are, its a shame they arn't in any rotations. :3:

Pretty sure the Final boss is in Trial Roulette. One of the guys I did it with mentioned it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

^^^I've had Singularity Reactor pop in Trial Roulette. I also think Exdr would be improved if they added ARF to it^^^

Mordiceius posted:

We find out tonight.

What happens tonight?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SirPhoebos posted:

What happens tonight?

Liveletter at the TGS about 3.1. It's all in Japanese, so if you don't speak it, Reddit or another big site like that will probably be doing live translations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dr Pepper posted:

Pretty sure the Final boss is in Trial Roulette. One of the guys I did it with mentioned it.
It definitely is, I got it last week and was super stoked for the break from Chrysalis/Steps.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

SirPhoebos posted:

^^^I've had Singularity Reactor pop in Trial Roulette. I also think Exdr would be improved if they added ARF to it^^^

Make Main Scenario Roulette give Law and Esoterics and plop it there.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I can't even remember what ARF was like. I'm assuming that's going to get added to HLDR soon.

Just add the library to EXDR. Hell somehow get that dungeon in any roulette besides LDR which only level 59 people have a very low chance of getting into.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Yeah, they really hosed up with the way they did Great Goobue Library. It better get an HM pretty quickly.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Are any of the Goon guilds on Cactuar active and open? I tried running down the list for Scratching post, but I couldn't find anyone and the property listed in the OP doesn't exist anymore.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

So 3.1 is going to be in the beginning of November going by the Live Letter/translation I'm presently watching. They apparently took a vacation. :v:

Not going to begrudge people that work their asses off a vacation even if that means 3.1 "As Goes Light, So Goes Darkness" is going to be awhile.

http://www.twitch.tv/mrhappy1227 If anyone else wants to watch the translation stream.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

BTW the live letter has started.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7RcTUQOEV0

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Mr. Fowl posted:

Are any of the Goon guilds on Cactuar active and open? I tried running down the list for Scratching post, but I couldn't find anyone and the property listed in the OP doesn't exist anymore.

I've said this before but the OP is out of date I guess. Basically, Cactuar doesn't have any centralized goon guilds. There are a decent number of us scattered around the server though. I'm happy to help if you have questions or need a quick unsynced run through something. Or crafted gear, etc.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'll post some of the Powerpoint bits for anyone who's interested. Exploratory Missions:

Yes, you're reading that last bit right: 210 Aetherial equipment. I distinctly heard "random" mentioned a few times, so it sounds like there's gonna be a lot of futzing about for perfect stat arrays.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 19, 2015

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Death Dealer posted:

So 3.1 is going to be in the beginning of November going by the Live Letter/translation I'm presently watching.

Geez, that's pretty far off.

How long does DGKK wait nowadays before kicking inactive people from the FC? I've been taking a break lately and figured i'd get back into the game by the time 3.1 rolled around, but at this rate i might get booted by the time it comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Freak Futanari posted:

Geez, that's pretty far off.

How long does DGKK wait nowadays before kicking inactive people from the FC? I've been taking a break lately and figured i'd get back into the game by the time 3.1 rolled around, but at this rate i might get booted by the time it comes out.

You can leave a note in your search settings and make a post to the don't kick me thread on ffgoons, I doubt you'll be the only one unsubbing until 3.1

• Locked thread