Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fnox
May 19, 2013

he has good ideas but he seriously needs like, a producer or something to tell him "no you can't keep adding poo poo to the champion". like, who the gently caress even let him make up a champion statistic for Yasuo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
So Bond is the AD ratio on E actually good enough to make building AD (in the form of Manamune/ER) rather than TF/BotRK on Ez good or are you just messing with us

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!

kingcobweb posted:

The difficulty I've had with Zac is that his long-distance E's are pretty slow, so it's really difficult to actually hit the knockup with it. And if you miss, you're just kind of next to them saying what up

tbf yeah. but you have ult, so it can still work

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

Could someone look over this Ahri replay? Trying to learn her to have a "safer" mid to play in ranked than Vlad and Kog. http://www.replay.gg/?r=NA1&id=1954178963&key=j6hAXSK%2FEkrbSyLtroTnCzcD7VnH4B2P

I don't know if I could have salvaged this game but I should not have done that poorly in lane against an Ekko and I'm pretty sure I wasted a lot of time just wandering around later on.

Roam more

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

kingcobweb posted:

The wiki lists him as having worked on Zyra, which makes sense since it's a very non-CertainlyT-feeling champion but with some CertainlyT aspects

edit: looked it up, he was the 'final designer'

There's room to give him credit for making really cool champions while also acknowledging his flaws. He's certainly more responsible for the complexity creep in champions than any other designer.

I can agree with that

post was still garbage tho

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I want to write a long post about League and complexity creep but I'm worried that people just don't have the patience to read that poo poo

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Libertine posted:

Sporting anti-swastika tattoos. Getting reported in league of legends for our views.

Punk in Drublic is one of my all time top ten. This thread is now on an official NOFX derail.

This song would actually be a really good solo queue anthem and roughly the length of a terrible game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnFVMkTWaBw

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Ill read at least 2 paragraphs.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

kingcobweb posted:

I want to write a long post about League and complexity creep but I'm worried that people just don't have the patience to read that poo poo

I read the posts you linked here. I really didn't agree with some points you made about Mordekaiser, but I did read it.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Pretty much all of the champions who have come out since Vel'koz have been really cool and situationally powerful; I'd rather see more champions with weird, overloaded kits than more vanilla designs like Vel'koz and Aatrox.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

rabidsquid posted:

This song would actually be a really good solo queue anthem and roughly the length of a terrible game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnFVMkTWaBw

Pretty appropriate for solo queue imo

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Methanar posted:

CertainlyT champions are the only good champions in this boring game.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Libertine posted:

Pretty appropriate for solo queue imo

Serotonin's gone, she gave up, drifted away

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Because Riot is so adamantly opposed to ripping out the rune/mastery system (which creates a specialization arms race and is close to the heart of many of League's design problems) and has taken years to finally start implementing items that do interesting things instead of just being stat sticks, the best way to add complexity and depth to the game is through overloading champion kits like CertainlyT is doing.

If you want to keep League exciting and fresh but also keep champion kits simple, then you have to totally overhaul the item system and brutally genocide every last pure stat stick item (and many of the semi-statstick items that ultimately don't do anything interesting) along with ethnically cleansing the scourge of runes and masteries from the Adobe Air launcher

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Here's a post for ya

This game is dumb as gently caress and we're idiots for playing it

In fact make that the next thread title, because it still always be true

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Brannock posted:

Because Riot is so adamantly opposed to ripping out the rune/mastery system (which creates a specialization arms race and is close to the heart of many of League's design problems) and has taken years to finally start implementing items that do interesting things instead of just being stat sticks, the best way to add complexity and depth to the game is through overloading champion kits like CertainlyT is doing.

If you want to keep League exciting and fresh but also keep champion kits simple, then you have to totally overhaul the item system and brutally genocide every last pure stat stick item (and many of the semi-statstick items that ultimately don't do anything interesting) along with ethnically cleansing the scourge of runes and masteries from the Adobe Air launcher

I think you're on the wrong path with the runes/masteries thing. Yeah I think they're kinda silly but they don't feature into 99.9999% of League's complexity and barrier to entry.

League's complexity is about being in a teamfight or skirmish and literally not being able to process what's happening; personally I'm totally in favor of "boring stat blocks" because seriously who can manage seven active buttons on their champion at once? I've tried playing Ekko and I have trouble pushing more than two buttons with any effectiveness. And I'm in the top 12% of ranked players and devote a sad amount of my free time to this game

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Go into your next game without runes or masteries and say they don't matter or cause a barrier to entry

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Runes at least are a way to make people spend more fake cash on things that aren't champions so they spend real cash on champions. Honestly runes are worse than masteries because at least masteries can have interesting effects, runes are literally extra statistics that you either start with or gain over the game and they are a really really boring system because there will always be a best rune set for a given champion in a given role.

Also stat-sticks are a huge problem yes, the ultimate example of this is Deathcap and infinity edge which are both examples of stat-sticks to such an extreme they actually improve the nature of all other stat-sticks. This is one of the places DoTA is better designed because there is exactly 1 stat-stick in DoTA that is a late game item and that's the Divine Rapier which you lose on death anyway.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Runes at least are a way to make people spend more fake cash on things that aren't champions so they spend real cash on champions. Honestly runes are worse than masteries because at least masteries can have interesting effects, runes are literally extra statistics that you either start with or gain over the game and they are a really really boring system because there will always be a best rune set for a given champion in a given role.

Also stat-sticks are a huge problem yes, the ultimate example of this is Deathcap and infinity edge which are both examples of stat-sticks to such an extreme they actually improve the nature of all other stat-sticks. This is one of the places DoTA is better designed because there is exactly 1 stat-stick in DoTA that is a late game item and that's the Divine Rapier which you lose on death anyway.

The Divine Rapier is hilarious and I wish we had a league equivalent.

Imagine if ADCs dropped their IEs on death. You'd have a scramble to pick it up and end up with 6 IE garens and poo poo it'd be awesome.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Luna Was Here posted:

Go into your next game without runes or masteries and say they don't matter or cause a barrier to entry

Nah you're misunderstanding what I mean.

League's barrier to entry isn't in stats, or lack of champions, or anything like that.

League's barrier to entry is starting a game and having no idea how to get to "destroying the nexus." It is going with your team to the baron and having absolutely no idea what the baron does or what happens when someone kills it.

It is the concepts of last hitting, trading, pushing, freezing, supporting, siegeing, rotations, kiting, tanking, peeling, and ganking having no in-game explanation of what they are.

Say you give a genuinely new player, someone with no previous MOBA experience, a loaded account: level 30, every champ, every rune, 50 rune pages. Tell them to go play a game. What do you think will happen?

How many games did it take you to go "ah, yes, I know what is going on in this game of League of Legends on Summoner's Rift." If you tell me less than 100, you're a loving liar. If you've ever played with an honest-to-god fresh level 30, you'll know just how much more knowledge of League you have than newer players. And that level 30 has played a LOT of League, compared to the amount that people will play retail releases of video games.

League's barrier to entry is that League of Legends makes no goddamned sense to people without hundreds of hours in League of Legends.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Runes just need across the board discounts, they aren't so bad when you have em for tailoring pages to specific matchups, but too many people are at a disadvantage when they don't have them.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

There are maybe... five champions I'm comfortable solo laning with. Ten that I wouldn't completely embarrass myself on. League's barrier to entry, and its complexity, isn't the runes system.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar posted:

CertainlyT champions are the only good champions in this dead gay game.

I stand by my statement

Methanar fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 19, 2015

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

kingcobweb posted:

There are maybe... five champions I'm comfortable solo laning with. Ten that I wouldn't completely embarrass myself on. League's barrier to entry, and its complexity, isn't the runes system.

All I gotta say is gently caress countries that use commas as decimals and periods as separators for large numbers.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

really

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I've wasted 10 days of my single, finite, gay and fleeting life on this game. Could be worse.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

kingcobweb posted:

I'd argue that's part of the game's charm, though. There's depth to it, depth that becomes more and more prevalent the further along you go. Can you just right click minions without doing any last hit stuff and still win? Win your lane, even? Yeah, sure. Especially if the other guy is doing that, too, which is how matchmaking is allegedly supposed to handle things.

Is there a lot of information? Oh gently caress yes. Is a lot of it accessible in game? Not really, not practically. I could understand the argument for that being an issue, but when you're on a multiplayer only forty minute time sink no breaks allowed game you probably can put in some time for the well documented information, official and otherwise, around.

There's two barriers of entry. Knowledge and mechanical benefits. Now, I'll tell you straight the knowledge need is a poo poo ton lower then, say, Dota with it's puzzle piece team comp poo poo. But it's there. What do all these stats do, what do characters do (though you'll probably figure that one out by the game's climax) what you should take as items, what you should be doing, etc. Tooltips and recommended item stuff go pretty far for this but, hey, it's not perfect. You're not going to be a pro MLG player, no, but your numbers will go up and you'll throw good numbers at enemy mans and you'll play some god drat League.

Not with all the tips and tricks, but it's still a modest investment for a game that isn't a cookie cutter pick up and play thing.

Mechanical benefits are something you can't work around. You could be a Diamond player and make a smurf account but the mechanical barrier of entry is still there and lording over you. As a pre-30 (cuz I don't play that much I swear!!) person I can look at all the champ guides I want but what they advertise still won't necessarily work because I just don't got the runes. Particularly jungling, apparently! Those are mechanical barriers to entry that don't go away any time soon because a basic "catch-all" rune page for a lane or two costs the same as several champions and you gotta do that a few times.

And then specialize them.

Because, frustratingly, they do matter. That's a barrier to entry that doesn't go away for a long rear end time, while knowledge is one that gradually disappears if you invest a little time in the game beyond hitting the play button. :shrug:

wow that turned into a lot of text at twelve am

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

This was not a very detailed update.

I posted that because a Zac in my ranked game whent something like 5-1-10 and still lost and he was pretty salty, but he had some good ganks, but he lost because i freakin' own as leona and i ganked the heck out of mid and got our lux super fed. anyway this is the behind the scenes of gowby's zac update 2015.

i'm sorry, for, everything.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

you raise valid points. yeah, I'll say that knowledge is a big part of this game, heres my wasted on lol:

i'd say it started to click around hour 300 in terms of what was happening on a macro scale but thats mostly because i was a gold sc2 player for a while. I have played with fresh 30's (mostly my irl friends) and its a spectacle to watch. The best part is helping them learn and figure out what they're doing wrong because if they want to learn or increase their knowledge about the game then its pretty easy to explain decision making or helping guide them around. that being said, still stand by this statement:

Luna Was Here posted:

This game is dumb as gently caress and we're idiots for playing it

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Not thread title. Forum title

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

kingcobweb posted:

Not thread title. Forum title

Please write your thing on league of legends [TM]. We all watch your lol videos even when you blank the screen for 20 minutes I think you can trust us to read it thank you

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Tonight Partly cloudy. Wind west 20 km/h gusting to 40 becoming light this evening. Low plus 3 with risk of frost.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 19, 2015

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kingcobweb posted:

Nah you're misunderstanding what I mean.

League's barrier to entry isn't in stats, or lack of champions, or anything like that.

League's barrier to entry is starting a game and having no idea how to get to "destroying the nexus." It is going with your team to the baron and having absolutely no idea what the baron does or what happens when someone kills it.

It is the concepts of last hitting, trading, pushing, freezing, supporting, siegeing, rotations, kiting, tanking, peeling, and ganking having no in-game explanation of what they are.

Say you give a genuinely new player, someone with no previous MOBA experience, a loaded account: level 30, every champ, every rune, 50 rune pages. Tell them to go play a game. What do you think will happen?

How many games did it take you to go "ah, yes, I know what is going on in this game of League of Legends on Summoner's Rift." If you tell me less than 100, you're a loving liar. If you've ever played with an honest-to-god fresh level 30, you'll know just how much more knowledge of League you have than newer players. And that level 30 has played a LOT of League, compared to the amount that people will play retail releases of video games.

League's barrier to entry is that League of Legends makes no goddamned sense to people without hundreds of hours in League of Legends.

For what is worth I do agree with you.

I only got around to understanding the game on a very basic level around game 1000 and to be honest I don't think I ever got to go "ah yes, I know what is going on in this game of League of Legends".

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Methanar posted:

Tonight Partly cloudy. Wind west 20 km/h gusting to 40 becoming light this evening. Low plus 3 with risk of frost.

If I'm reading this League of Legends forecast right it looks like you are predicting 20 kills per minute on Heimerdinger with a chance of Anivia.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
3958 hours

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Just had two losses that lasted about 13 minutes each.

Better than two losses that lasted 40 minutes each honestly.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

3 words: sunken cost fallacy

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Tonetta posted:

3 words: sunken cost fallacy

the sunk cost fallacy owns, ive spent 55 days of my life on this game so if i stop now that is all just a waste. but if i keep playing it is okay!!

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Guys i need a new mousepad what do i get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
steel series

• Locked thread