Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

grand music for the yare yare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

now for the award winning song

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

HE TALKS TO THE CAMERA.
GOOD GOD

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...10/10. Will watch again. Probably every Christmas. At Minimum.

I'll post more thoughts in a bit, but for now - is this Yuki's VA singing over the credits?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

V. Pretty credits song

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

As nice as haruhi s3 would be, this movie is a seriously impressive finale to the haruhi series

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Please stay after the credits for an additional scene.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

That was a good movie

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

In Training posted:

HE TALKS TO THE CAMERA.
GOOD GOD

Lol

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I can't believe i didnt see this earlier

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

In Training posted:

Please stay after the credits for an additional scene.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
This movie belongs in a museum. I'm going to call up the Smithsonian and raise Hell.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

"Don't forget"

Indeed.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I think this is the best Christmas movie I have ever seen, even better than Die Hard

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

...10/10. Will watch again. Probably every Christmas. At Minimum.

I'll post more thoughts in a bit, but for now - is this Yuki's VA singing over the credits?

yep

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Linnaeus posted:

now for the award winning song

I'm singin along like it's hare hare yukai

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

i love this song

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The true fun is just beginning, where we can discuss the show in its entire form for the new few months hopefully :D

You can understand now why people have been cagey about wanting to dive into discussion. The twisted temporal nature and ouroboros narrative requires a pretty wide view to discuss

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Linnaeus posted:

i love this song

It's absolutely beautiful

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

this movie goes so far to negate the other world, and that spinoff still exists...

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

:)

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

This movie really makes me root for keeping alternate Yuki, and then Kyon delivers the most impassioned ever for keeping original Yuki, and I can't help but agree.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

Now thats its over, wow i was not expecting such a serious movie from this. I wonder what it felt like seeing it in theaters

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Oh, man. That after-credit scene. I have to say again how well a seemingly emotionless character like Yuki expresses emotions so well.

Cronodoculous posted:

This movie really makes me root for keeping alternate Yuki, and then Kyon delivers the most impassioned ever for keeping original Yuki, and I can't help but agree.

It's impossible to overstate how well the movie handled that aspect.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's very cool how intricately tied together Season2 is with the film. Not just in Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody laying the groundwork for the central time travel elements, but the Endless Eight giving us a glimpse into Nagato's breakdown

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

In Training posted:

The true fun is just beginning, where we can discuss the show in its entire form for the new few months hopefully :D

You can understand now why people have been cagey about wanting to dive into discussion. The twisted temporal nature and ouroboros narrative requires a pretty wide view to discuss

Yeah, I love how it weaves itself through parts of the original story and reaffirms earlier things that happened, and yet the Kyon of the end feels like a changed character

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

In Training posted:

It's very cool how intricately tied together Season2 is with the film. Not just in Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody laying the groundwork for the central time travel elements, but the Endless Eight giving us a glimpse into Nagato's breakdown

If it weren't for the 600-year-long summer, she probably wouldn't have developed enough "junk data" to go "aberrant".

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i don't know how anyone can watch the movie and then say that endless eight isn't completely justified

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

In Training posted:

I think Sigh also lays out that, for as much as Kyon can find at fault with Haruhi, he wants to see things out with her

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Radio Spiricom posted:

i don't know how anyone can watch the movie and then say that endless eight isn't completely justified

Maybe the thread title should be "ADTRW watches Endless Eight...and comprehends"

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I've never actually seen a haruhi before, should I now

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Anatharon posted:

The answer to this question is yes for all values of "now".

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Parallax posted:

I think Sigh also lays out that, for as much as Kyon can find at fault with Haruhi, he wants to see things out with her

His revelation when he gets pissed at tanaguchi and resolves to finish the film is like a tiny little preview of the self revelation scene in disappearance

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Zas posted:

His revelation when he gets pissed at tanaguchi and resolves to finish the film is like a tiny little preview of the self revelation scene in disappearance

the real hero is Taniguchi

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

the real hero is Taniguchi

God knows what woulda happened if he didn't know Haruhi in this film

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Argona posted:

this movie goes so far to negate the other world, and that spinoff still exists...

Yeah. I wasn't absolutely sold on it until the scene with Yuki on the rooftop, but that scene recontextualized the proceedings in a way that absolutely got me on board.

See, I was worried that the deal was that Yuki caused the whole disappearance thing because she'd been both developing emotions she didn't know how to process and being put under inhumane degrees of stress - like that time she had to relive the same two weeks 15000 times with her friends largely ignoring her or recoiling at the bad news she had to deliver every single time - and just generally being kind of a neglected member of the group. And in that context, I had a hard time seeing why it was so unfair of her to take that action and why the status quo was so obviously better, and I was worried that the whole incident was going to be painted as some immature thing that was basically going to be painted as Yuki's fault, that the alternate Yuki was fundamentally false despite being who Yuki deliberately chose to become, and that Kyon was going to undo just because that status quo she found so stressful and unfair was more fun for him personally. Which seemed kind of hosed.

But the rooftop scene (and the post-credits scene to a much smaller extent) basically fixed all of that, by giving Yuki and Kyon that incredibly loving tender moment, Kyon basically laying out that he loves Yuki (in the platonic sense, at least) and will do whatever he can to help her be happy, and generally showing his appreciation for her. That's such a loving fantastic moment of catharsis, even leaving aside the great meta-jab at all the writers who just use the Rei-template to create snivilling, demure waifus, devoid of agency and written solely to wank over. And they establish that she'll continue to develop emotionally and become something closer to the person she wants to be, and that it'll happen naturally rather than being something forced upon the world, so it's not like she's doomed to eternal robot-ness like I was worried they'd wind up implying. The after-credits bit seems designed to reinforce that, with Yuki looking away from her book to go all "aww cute kids" and such.

Anywho, I might have more to say later, but I need to piss and shower, so for now I'll leave it that - and the obvious "HOLY loving poo poo THIS MOVIE IS SO loving GORGEOUS," because goddamn Kyoto Animation. I mean, my goodness, what a production.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I will provide the special features for you all next week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Anatharon posted:

hell yes!!!!!!!!!!!! even if you keep bringing up bokurano

• Locked thread