Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I'd say for it to qualify as a remake it'd need to have the same name, plus there's different content and modes in rocket league than SARPBC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

spudsbuckley posted:

Try sneaking into the same base 10 loving times to do slight variations on the same thing. Multiply that by 15 or so times to make up the 157-ish boring as gently caress side-missions.

And the main story missions are variations on the same thing with brief cutscenes added.

I'm not even saying Forza 6 is GOTY, i'm saying it is the GO-September by defualt because MGS5 is reptetive, poorly designed, half finished mediocrity.

I'd really like to know what open world games you think aren't repetitive and are designed better than MGS5.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dog nougat posted:

I'd say for it to qualify as a remake it'd need to have the same name, plus there's different content and modes in rocket league than SARPBC

Funnily enough, the old game actually had a lot more content and modes. I think it had everything that Rocket League has now and then some, but it didn't do it as well.

Rocket League deserves a mention at least on any goty thing because it's just so good at what it does.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

NESguerilla posted:

I'd really like to know what open world games you think aren't repetitive and are designed better than MGS5.

The Witcher 3 is probably the best open world game in terms of exploration and story implementation, but if you try to do ALL the side events, it quickly becomes obvious that they are repetitive. This is good design in the sense that, no matter where you are when you get bored with real story threads, there will be stuff for you to gently caress around with, but bad for completionists because they are terrible people.

Other open world games, like Just Cause 2, GTA, and Saints Row have more potential for entertaining chaos than W3, so it depends on what you're looking for in a game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

NESguerilla posted:

While the stealth is fun in MGS5, the open world kind of sucks. There really isn't anything out in the wilderness. It is very rare that you even get a patrol out there.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

spudsbuckley posted:

loving lol. It is in its gently caress.

It's maybe the best game released in September 2015. Maybe.

It's the only MGS game i can't be bothered to finish because it is tedious, poorly designed nonsense.

EDIT: No, wait, Forza 6 came out this week and i don't even have an Xbone or want one and i can guarantee that that is a better game than MGS5. Forza 6 is the Game of September.

You're a lovely human being, not gonna lie.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

While the stealth is fun in MGS5, the open world kind of sucks. There really isn't anything out in the wilderness. It is very rare that you even get a patrol out there.

I like the wilderness, but yeah they could have done a lot more interesting stuff with patrols and enemy placement between missions.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Raymn posted:

Destiny PS4 is the new hardware

That's pretty cool, I had no idea. Lucky me.

I'm surprised they don't advertise that anywhere

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

NESguerilla posted:

I like the wilderness, but yeah they could have done a lot more interesting stuff with patrols and enemy placement between missions.

It's fine in the missions since things are a lot more scripted, but I Red Dead Redemption is a good example of how to create a wilderness with interesting stuff still in it.

On another note, people sure are pissed about Konami's decision. While I think I am mildly upset, I think at the end of the day, I can see why their priorities are shifting.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
I bought the Bloodborne guide so I'll actually have a chance of finishing it before the new DLC comes out. Here's a couple of codes for whoever can snatch them first:

EDIT: gone!

Static Rook fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Sep 19, 2015

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

blackguy32 posted:

It's fine in the missions since things are a lot more scripted, but I Red Dead Redemption is a good example of how to create a wilderness with interesting stuff still in it.

On another note, people sure are pissed about Konami's decision. While I think I am mildly upset, I think at the end of the day, I can see why their priorities are shifting.

I'm not pissed about it myself per se, but Konami's a really crappy company run by idiots. A hostile corporate takeover would be the best thing to ever happen to them.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Dewgy posted:

I'm not pissed about it myself per se, but Konami's a really crappy company run by idiots. A hostile corporate takeover would be the best thing to ever happen to them.

That's pretty much why they're sticking to gambling and their sports clubs in a way. Corporate is done with video games.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Static Rook posted:

I bought the Bloodborne guide so I'll actually have a chance of finishing it before the new DLC comes out. Here's a couple of codes for whoever can snatch them first:

Bloodborne dynamic theme: MDLD-85NQ-JDE4
Digital guide: CD55-45NP-CD34

Picked this up. Thanks so much!

Edit: Thinking of picking up Destiny- I've never played it before. Any pros/cons to picking up the disk copy instead of digital? I know the load times are long- does having the disk increase that at all?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Siroc posted:

Picked this up. Thanks so much!

Edit: Thinking of picking up Destiny- I've never played it before. Any pros/cons to picking up the disk copy instead of digital? I know the load times are long- does having the disk increase that at all?

No, all PS4 games get installed to the hard drive regardless of ingress.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

8-bit Miniboss posted:

No, all PS4 games get installed to the hard drive regardless of ingress.

Yeah, the Blu-Ray reading speed isn't actually all that flash, so your games are always gonna be installed.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
what's the best ssd and also the cheapest

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Don't bother, you will never get near SSD speeds. Get a hybrid maybe, or 7200 RPM, but don't bother with SSD unless you really like spending money on incredibly diminishing returns.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Yeah, a full on SSD is too expensive for the small decrease in load times. It's been tested before in the past and hybrid drives are on par with most SSD drives as far as load times if you really care about a few seconds difference.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
same question - ssd + hybrid

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't get why that is but on PS4, SSD's really make no difference. Yet on a PC, an SSD is a huge quality of life improvement for load times in games.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Picked up that Castle Storm on sale, fun little game but was pleasantly surprised to find that Waterflame of Newground's fame was the one to do the soundtrack. Was not expecting to hear that

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I don't get why that is but on PS4, SSD's really make no difference. Yet on a PC, an SSD is a huge quality of life improvement for load times in games.

It's the encryption. It takes time to decrypt things.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Snak posted:

The Witcher 3 is probably the best open world game in terms of exploration and story implementation, but if you try to do ALL the side events, it quickly becomes obvious that they are repetitive. This is good design in the sense that, no matter where you are when you get bored with real story threads, there will be stuff for you to gently caress around with, but bad for completionists because they are terrible people.

Other open world games, like Just Cause 2, GTA, and Saints Row have more potential for entertaining chaos than W3, so it depends on what you're looking for in a game.

Agreed. I like MGS5 but a lot of time is spent wasted either in boring travel or tedious menu fuckery. The complete lack of a not poo poo fast travel option really dings the game down for me personally.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Failboattootoot posted:

Agreed. I like MGS5 but a lot of time is spent wasted either in boring travel or tedious menu fuckery. The complete lack of a not poo poo fast travel option really dings the game down for me personally.

Did you not know of the delivery docks in major outposts?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Did you not know of the delivery docks in major outposts?

I specified not poo poo. Those docks don't work in alert mode which is where I spend most of my time because Rambo is way more fun than sneaking.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Failboattootoot posted:

I specified not poo poo. Those docks don't work in alert mode which is where I spend most of my time because Rambo is way more fun than sneaking.

Then takeover the outpost with your Rambo methods and then you can use the dock. I'm failing to see the problem here.

It works more or less the same way other games do...

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

It's not exactly fast travel if you have to spend time and resources to use it every time.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ometeotl posted:

It's not exactly fast travel if you have to spend time and resources to use it every time.

Just type IDCLEV and the name of the outpost you want to go to to make it instantaneous.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Square-Enix said they are going to announce the release date for FF15 sometime in March.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Ometeotl posted:

It is, actually.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If anyone was curious, Persona 5 was delayed so that Atlus could build a brand out of it with an Anime and 20 year anniversary logo/project.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Fast traveling while in alert status would kind of entirely defeat the point of an alert status

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Saagonsa posted:

Fast traveling while in alert status would kind of entirely defeat the point of an alert status

It is inconceivable just how little I care in the face of the 20 or so hours I spent just loving travelling in that game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You can use the "Return to ACC" option in the pause menu.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You can use the "Return to ACC" option in the pause menu.

Oh I used that all the time. Doesn't help though since like hell was I going to return to acc and then pay the deployment cost for every side op.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I honestly couldn't care less about my endless stream of MGS monopoly money. You can sneeze in any direction and it will cost you 10 grand but 100 grant is always a minute away.

I do think saying that there is too much downtime is a valid complaint though. The game makes a lot of things more inconvenient than they need to be and at certain point it gets pretty grating. Not being able to just guide the chopper around the map without a load screen makes no sense. At times the ACC feels almost as bad as the Destiny spaceship.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If Snake has such a command of the air as to make Fultoning cheap and easy, why can't he HALO jump into the combat zone like in 3

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If Snake has such a command of the air as to make Fultoning cheap and easy, why can't he HALO jump into the combat zone like in 3

Have you not noticed the big AA guns and mounted machine guns? The helicopter's pretty un-subtle, but at least it's coming in low and away from anything that can shoot back. A man floating down in the sky's easy pickings for any guy with a rifle.

Fultoning works because whatever gets grabbed goes up fast until it's way up at aircraft-grabbing height well beyond AA fire.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Yeah it would be nice if they could reduce if not eliminate the ACC. Get picked up in Africa and get directly dropped off in Afghanistan, or use the copter to get picked up and dropped off on the same map.

Also D-Walker is crazy expensive considering he's a buddy.

Edit: obviously I understand there's gonna be loading screens, but I mean something like Africa – load – Afghanistan instead of Africa – load – ACC – load – Afghanistan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Yeah it would be nice if they could reduce if not eliminate the ACC. Get picked up in Africa and get directly dropped off in Afghanistan, or use the copter to get picked up and dropped off on the same map.

Also D-Walker is crazy expensive considering he's a buddy.

A lot of stuff like that is likely designed dumb as possible so it's impossible to break. The ACC's a nice isolated nexus where you can change things on the base (adding more platforms) or customize your vehicles/gear without something in the game breaking because whoops you just changed your rifle while its on your back and now your torso's deleted. Same with saving - Going out of and into Outposts are nice fixed points that are safe and not likely to leave you in a spot getting detected and shot to death repeatedly the moment the game loads.

• Locked thread