Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Delta Echo posted:

I was a field mechanic with Unite... a large national construction equipment rental company. I had a field call where the customer complained the hydraulic fluid was low on a backhoe trailer. It wasn't low, it was empty. I filled it with hydraulic fluid and operated the levers to find the leak, and when I pressed the outrigger down control, the outrigger swung up (way too fast) and smacked me in the side of the head.

Luckily, I was knocked away from the swing of the outrigger before it slammed against the side of the backhoe like an alligator's jaw.

Turns out the customer swapped around some of the hoses to fit their layout preference. They wanted down to be up, etc, and hydraulic fluid leaked out of the loose fittings.

Why wouldnt they tell you this before you worked on it. Bunch of jerks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

JB50 posted:

Why wouldnt the low level employees who have been trying to keep this shitheap running tell you about all the rules they broke with their boss's boss in earshot

the ol pump-n-bump
Jul 27, 2004

by Smythe
Thank you OSHA for the great no nonsense replies, in lieu of a picture.
Heres something that happened today, Its not my blood, but can guess whos it is?
This literally happened the next day after I asked the OSHA thread a question about safety!

yes, thats arterial

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

PBRstreetgang posted:

Heres something that happened today, Its not my blood, but can guess whos it is?
This literally happened the next day after I asked the OSHA thread a question about safety!

yes, thats arterial

Are you confessing to a murder?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

PBRstreetgang posted:

yes, thats arterial

On the plus side, your supervisor's position just went vacant. Grab that $$$, boy.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
tesla coil videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snibt3CNqBA

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Looks intimidating, but with a Faraday suit it's perfectly safe. That is, if you trust Science.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

That's cool but they should have hired a guitar player

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

simplefish posted:

Used to, not these days

They still put down more down force than the car weighs.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

spog posted:

Are you confessing to a murder?

More importantly, did you follow proper safety procedures and wear proper protective gear while committing it? :eng101:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Tenants may attempt fixing things themselves. We just had this come through our stove store.
http://imgur.com/a/C9gVL

Yes, that is air gap through the coffee can bolted to the hole in the glass.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

Guess who just nearly got his head crushed like an eggshell!

I was setting up for crane operator exams this morning with an elderly man who's not our usual practical examiner. We had a big blue barrel full of water that's supposed to be used for the exam sitting on the back of a boom truck, and the examiner decided that instead of using the boom truck's own crane to pick it up and put it in place, he'd just use the big rental crane.

While standing next to the barrel waiting for him to lower the hook toward me so I could hook up the barrel for him, he promptly sent the 250 pound steel hook and ball zooming at my head too fast for me to even try to stop it. I ended up just ducking while the hook slammed into the boom behind my head.

Yeah, dude's getting written up for it soon.

Providing an update on this. It all happened yesterday, but I went to the opening of Halloween Horror Nights straight from work and crashed when I got home past 3:00 AM.

The examiner in question was not supposed to be operating a crane while acting as an instructor for the class, but he elected to do it himself to expedite things. I was initially going to simply write up a full report on the practical exams that day to send to the CEO because he did a crap job the whole time, but he ended up forcing a confrontation a few hours later. We took a 45 minute lunch break before doing the last few exams of the day, and he was supposed to let me know when we had a student available to test (it's not uncommon for breaks to be extended or forced because of students disappearing to take written exams, taking dumps, leaving for lunch, etc.). 12:45 PM roles around and he's not there. I decide to wait another 10 minutes in case something's up. Nope, still not there. I look around the whole building and can't find him, so presumably he's still on lunch break. I go to the bathroom. At 1:15 PM I start looking for him again, as he's still not back. Someone finally tells me that he was last seen going outside.

The shady motherfucker was conducting an exam without a proctor. He was afraid of getting scolded by the boss if he took too long to finish practicals, so he just hauled a student out and began testing him without anyone proctoring. Considering that we're accredited by multiple safety organizations, this was an epic violation the likes of which is never seen at our location. I immediately told the CEO (while also letting him know about my near death experience earlier) and he gave me permission to restart the exams. I ended up having to play the bad guy and march outside, bring the exam to a halt and inform the student of the policy violation that caused it, and bring him and the examiner back inside to void the paperwork and prepare new copies. The CEO met us in the hallway and began questioning the examiner, in particular over the accident I told him about.

The son of a bitch lied. Right in front of me, he denied ever endangering my life and saying he would need photographic evidence of it to prove that he had really done it. The only thing that makes me angrier than nearly killing me is lying to my face about nearly killing me.

He's now banned from doing practicals or operating cranes under any circumstances. I made it out without any further injuries than sunburn and sore feet from walking 12.5 miles all of yesterday.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

PBRstreetgang posted:

yes, thats arterial

Arterial blood is just regular blood dude it isn't a big deal.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Decrepus posted:

Arterial blood is just regular blood dude it isn't a big deal.

It is when it's escaped my body.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

JB50 posted:

Why wouldnt they tell you this before you worked on it. Bunch of jerks.

It was an everyday thing. Equipment doesn't break during normal use, so a lot of my calls were a result of some type of negligence. On the lighter end of the spectrum, customers would run equipment out of diesel and I'd have to bleed the injectors. On the more serious side, the customer complaint would be "it stopped running" and I would arrive to find damaged equipment.

Another problem in general was smaller contractors using undersized equipment for their job. Bobcats were popular because they fit in confined spaces, but sometimes a bobcat was rented on epic construction sites to save money over a proper loader. Undersized reach forklifts like this

And bobcats

When what they needed was

I was young, too, 24-25. So invariably, when my service manager called them to ask why equipment was damaged to require a replacement, there would be accusations that I didn't know what I was doing, or that I was exaggerating.

I received my training in the military, did a couple deployments as a heavy equipment mechanic, and got out as a journeyman and sergeant. Had a couple ASE certifications, too, including engine repair. That field mechanic job was my follow-on job after separating. Anyway.

There was one job in particular that was egregious. I don't have the pictures anymore, sadly. A Bobcat was used inside a commercial building to break the concrete floor using an attachment that had nothing to do with breaking concrete, it was just heavy. They were slamming the attachment into the concrete and made it half way through the task before the attachment mounting assembly gave out.

As far as OSHA pictures go, if I had to find some, I'd know where to look. Independent contractor job sites.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

The son of a bitch lied.

I had a night supervisor call me at 1a, I answered on the third ring, between two days of me working 7a to 7p to ask, 'hey tactlessbastard, we want to violate procedure x and do y!'

I told him that he needed to call either my manager or get his manager to call my manager, and I explicitly stated I couldn't give them permission to do y instead of x.

The next morning, I'm ducked down in a cubicle texting my wife when I hear the night guy's manager say 'what do you mean you did y? You have to do x!' Only tactlessbastard's manager can approve that!' to which the rear end in a top hat responded, 'we had to call them both multiple times before we got an answer and tactlessbastard said it was fine to do y'

The OSHA violation is that one day I'm going to park a scissor lift on that bitchass night supervisor.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My assigned driver for next week can't even walk 100 yards without losing his breath and having to sit down. I really like the guy but I don't want to die in an accident. I told my boss and they are afraid of a HR incident more than him passing out while driving.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Sorry, no pic, but we had an OSHA DOT INCIDENT a couple of days ago. A maintenence man was cleaning a stripper cylinder from a machine that makes sheets of synthetic fluffy fiber, it's kind of like that stuffing inside of stuffed animal, except in a 2" thick sheet about 6ft wide, gray and heated so it stays together.
The cylinder is about a foot in diameter and about 7ft long with what looks like a long rear end saw blade wrapped continuously around it. The individual teeth are about 1mm wide and about 4 or 5mm high.
Occationally they have to clean the gunk that builds up between the rows of teeth, so they pull the cylinder and put it in a device with a knife/scraper that rides on a rod just above the surface of the cylinder as it spins.
The maintenence man in question apparently had the cylinder spinning at a pretty high rate and the teeth caught his leather glove and pulled him onto the spinning cylinder of saw teeth and chewed the skin from the inner arms and chest, ripped his shirt off and threw him over the back of the cylinder.
The first responders said he ran about 20ft toward the door and collapsed, they also said you could see muscles and tendons on the inside of his arms, his chest was chewed but not as badly as the arms.
:gonk:
Will try to get pics later, but they have it covered with a tarp until the Osha dot investigation

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
Please don't get pics of that. Or if you do, put them behind a link.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

what was it they say about gloves and high speed equipment?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

VectorSigma posted:

what was it they say about gloves and high speed equipment?

Wear them. The problem isn't that you die, it's whether you did it wearing the proper PPE.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Retarded Pimp posted:

A maintenence man was cleaning a stripper

go on

Retarded Pimp posted:

cylinder from a machine that makes sheets of synthetic fluffy fiber, it's kind of like that stuffing inside of stuffed animal, except in a 2" thick sheet about 6ft wide, gray and heated so it stays together.
The cylinder is about a foot in diameter and about 7ft long with what looks like a long rear end saw blade wrapped continuously around it. The individual teeth are about 1mm wide and about 4 or 5mm high.
Occationally they have to clean the gunk that builds up between the rows of teeth, so they pull the cylinder and put it in a device with a knife/scraper that rides on a rod just above the surface of the cylinder as it spins.
The maintenence man in question apparently had the cylinder spinning at a pretty high rate and the teeth caught his leather glove and pulled him onto the spinning cylinder of saw teeth and chewed the skin from the inner arms and chest, ripped his shirt off and threw him over the back of the cylinder.
The first responders said he ran about 20ft toward the door and collapsed, they also said you could see muscles and tendons on the inside of his arms, his chest was chewed but not as badly as the arms.
Will try to get pics later, but they have it covered with a tarp until the Osha dot investigation

:stare:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Retarded Pimp posted:

Sorry, no pic, but we had an OSHA DOT INCIDENT a couple of days ago. A maintenence man was cleaning a stripper cylinder from a machine that makes sheets of synthetic fluffy fiber, it's kind of like that stuffing inside of stuffed animal, except in a 2" thick sheet about 6ft wide, gray and heated so it stays together.

Pics of the guy, or pics of the machine? Either way, :stare:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Welp, nearly lost a finger today at work.

I had to unjam a specialty heavy duty printer we use, and after telling the one other person there not to print anything until I said so, they printed something literally five seconds later. My finger was right between a metal roller and a sort of cut-off blade, but I heard the near-silent electronic whine of the printer heating up and I pulled my finger out just as the things started spinning. The persons response was ".... oh, these printers?!". No dipshit, I meant don't use the printers in the department on the other side of the building.

They're on probation now.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Welp, nearly lost a finger today at work.

I had to unjam a specialty heavy duty printer we use, and after telling the one other person there not to print anything until I said so, they printed something literally five seconds later. My finger was right between a metal roller and a sort of cut-off blade, but I heard the near-silent electronic whine of the printer heating up and I pulled my finger out just as the things started spinning. The persons response was ".... oh, these printers?!". No dipshit, I meant don't use the printers in the department on the other side of the building.

They're on probation now.

Sounds like your Lock out tag out procedures are garbage.

Come to think of it, your equipment should be equipped with microswitched access panels and machinery guards which prevent the equipment from operating while things are open. The latter would not make up for the lack of the former.

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy
Not 100% if this is an OSHA incident, but this happened at work the other day, and I thought this thread might enjoy it.

Work at a Home Depot, and the lumber loading zone has an overhang. The overhang has the pipe for the sprinkler system housed there. Apparently someone hit it with their truck (not sure if it was with a boom or with a piece of pipe that was sticking up).

Dank rusty water sprayed everywhere, and since the big warehouse style door was open to the inside of the store, it sprayed inside covering the floor and one of the registers (and cashier, normally where I would be!) with grossness. The fire alarms went off, and we had to evacuate the building, because the system is designed to assume that there's a fire when that pipe is dispensing water. Surprisingly (not) people were reluctant to leave their shopping. I didn't get any good pictures, but one of my co workers got a picture of the spray as it was starting to die down a bit. Sorry for the phone quality.

They're discussing putting some sort of safety guard on the pipe now.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
OSHA image taken down because ten years ago doesn't feel quite long enough.

Anagram of GINGER fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 20, 2015

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

This is why you chock your wheels

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

IPCRESS posted:

Sounds like your Lock out tag out procedures are garbage.

Come to think of it, your equipment should be equipped with microswitched access panels and machinery guards which prevent the equipment from operating while things are open. The latter would not make up for the lack of the former.

When I say specialty printers, I don't mean like a printing press or anything. It's just a large label printer, but it has steel rollers and cut-off blade. I agree it should have been shut off, but the jam was literally a one-second job to grab the paper and yank, but this other person couldn't hold off for one second. The type of person where you go to attach a lockout tag, and they've already hosed it up in the three seconds between reaching into your pocket for the tag and attaching it onto the machine.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Pews posted:

This is why you chock your wheels

Like the one in my picture, going unused? God that picture is bad. I think I'll take it down. The context would be lost on people, of being in a place where rocket attacks made every night the opposite of the lottery.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Bonapartisan posted:

Not 100% if this is an OSHA incident, but this happened at work the other day, and I thought this thread might enjoy it.

Work at a Home Depot, and the lumber loading zone has an overhang. The overhang has the pipe for the sprinkler system housed there. Apparently someone hit it with their truck (not sure if it was with a boom or with a piece of pipe that was sticking up).

Dank rusty water sprayed everywhere, and since the big warehouse style door was open to the inside of the store, it sprayed inside covering the floor and one of the registers (and cashier, normally where I would be!) with grossness. The fire alarms went off, and we had to evacuate the building, because the system is designed to assume that there's a fire when that pipe is dispensing water. Surprisingly (not) people were reluctant to leave their shopping. I didn't get any good pictures, but one of my co workers got a picture of the spray as it was starting to die down a bit. Sorry for the phone quality.

They're discussing putting some sort of safety guard on the pipe now.

This has happened twice in my apartment buildings parking garage since I moved in because idiot tweakers keep thinking they'll cleverly steal some plumbing on the sly while everybody is asleep at 4 am. The system has a lot more force behind it than what that pic looks like though, and last time it happened the guy almost died when the pipe burst and snapped him in the forehead.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Retarded Pimp posted:

Please allow me to ask what may be an incredibly stupid question: did he survive?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Delta Echo posted:

I think I'll take it down.

no don't, I've already decided that picture is the backstory for your avatar

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Please allow me to ask what may be an incredibly stupid question: did he survive?

Why let a little detail like that get in the way of a fetishistic description of a terrible accident

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

no don't, I've already decided that picture is the backstory for your avatar

It's fine if you repost it. But at least I can say I took it down.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Delta Echo posted:

It's fine if you repost it. But at least I can say I took it down.

haha it's cool dude, I've been there and I feel ya :)

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

What was the picture of?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Delta Echo posted:

It was an everyday thing. Equipment doesn't break during normal use, so a lot of my calls were a result of some type of negligence. On the lighter end of the spectrum, customers would run equipment out of diesel and I'd have to bleed the injectors. On the more serious side, the customer complaint would be "it stopped running" and I would arrive to find damaged equipment.

Another problem in general was smaller contractors using undersized equipment for their job. Bobcats were popular because they fit in confined spaces, but sometimes a bobcat was rented on epic construction sites to save money over a proper loader. Undersized reach forklifts like this

And bobcats

When what they needed was

I was young, too, 24-25. So invariably, when my service manager called them to ask why equipment was damaged to require a replacement, there would be accusations that I didn't know what I was doing, or that I was exaggerating.

I received my training in the military, did a couple deployments as a heavy equipment mechanic, and got out as a journeyman and sergeant. Had a couple ASE certifications, too, including engine repair. That field mechanic job was my follow-on job after separating. Anyway.

There was one job in particular that was egregious. I don't have the pictures anymore, sadly. A Bobcat was used inside a commercial building to break the concrete floor using an attachment that had nothing to do with breaking concrete, it was just heavy. They were slamming the attachment into the concrete and made it half way through the task before the attachment mounting assembly gave out.

As far as OSHA pictures go, if I had to find some, I'd know where to look. Independent contractor job sites.

Always make sure you have the right tool for the job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujExJN6jYgU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

RNG posted:

If someone obliterates the rolling door with a forklift and no safety meeting gets called and no one gets fired and it is quietly replaced, it was probably the warehouse manager.

Nope. One of the guys at my old furniture warehouse did it twice and he was bottom of the rung level 1 worker. But rather than bother with paperwork, we just cut and bent the roller door back into place.

• Locked thread