Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Space is certainly a concern, as I don't have a ton. Garage is a no-go, it's a 1-car...and barely a 1-car, at that. And no way my GF will let me make it a woodshop, unless I then take the task of always cleaning the snow off her car in the winter.

So that leaves the basement, which maybe half of it free for me to use, so that's about an 8' x 15' space. So I'll probably go with a circular saw at first, since at least then if I have extra large things that need to be cut, it's easy enough to move it outside with a couple of sawhorses or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
I'd say for overall versatility you just can't beat a decent circular saw. I bought one of those aluminum track/guides that you can clamp to plywood so you go straight, love it. You can work fast and if you take the time to clamp a guide you can do some very clean work. If you're just looking for something that'll pretty much always cut what you need, that's a circular saw hands down. I have a corded porter-cable with a cheap carbide-tipped blade in it and I've never had cause for complaint.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Uncle Enzo posted:

I'd say for overall versatility you just can't beat a decent circular saw. I bought one of those aluminum track/guides that you can clamp to plywood so you go straight, love it.

You can fake this kind of thing using a couple thin sheets of MDF or similar. The shoe of the circular saw rests on one, with its edge right next to the blade, while the other is glued to the first and runs along the edge of the shoe. Just make the first sheet a bit too wide and cut it with the shoe up against the second sheet, and you basically have a zero-clearance guide for your saw.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Zhentar posted:

The secret to unlocking track saw potential is accessories that connect to the tracks. The Festool MFT/3 workbench has rails you connect the track to and adds a lot of small workshop friendly table saw equivalent functionality.

See while I don't disagree, you're also suddenly talking about a different universe of cost than a circular saw and a mitre saw.

Ultimately, tool choice probably has as much to do with priority of cost and space as it does the expected types and frequency of use (which definitely also matter).

A decent circular saw is definitely a good bet, though -- I don't think you'll ever regret having one.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Space is certainly a concern, as I don't have a ton. Garage is a no-go, it's a 1-car...and barely a 1-car, at that. And no way my GF will let me make it a woodshop, unless I then take the task of always cleaning the snow off her car in the winter.

Oh, with the space constraints in mind, handheld circ saw forever, definitely. I did pretty well without even an inside (or outside!) space, just build some poo poo with lumber in the driveway, it'll get you pretty far.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

<snip>I saw one yayhoo example of that where the saw trigger jammed and that fucker ran along the ground until the cord got tangled up.
Now that guys (and girls) are more familar with them, plus the advances of modern surgery....

The DeWalt might have more torque but the Milwaukee is faster off the line. . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5TN75_k8x8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eXJrYn5v0Y

Circular saws do scare me a little more than most other saws, but I think that is simply because I haven't used one as much as I have used the other saws.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
While we are all riled up about saws... thoughts? I believe this Dewalt just had a big price drop because it's still $280 at Home Depot.

Hitachi C12FDH 15 Amp 12-Inch Dual Bevel Miter Saw with Laser

Laser, dual bevel, better motor placement, many love Hitachi CMS

VS

DEWALT DW715 15-Amp 12-Inch Single-Bevel Compound Miter Saw

No laser, single bevel, but well loved in reviews.

I'm leaning toward the Hitachi.

wormil fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 18, 2015

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

wormil posted:

While we are all riled up about saws... thoughts? I believe this Dewalt just had a big price drop because it's still $280 at Home Depot.

Hitachi C12FDH 15 Amp 12-Inch Dual Bevel Miter Saw with Laser

Laser, dual bevel, better motor placement, many love Hitachi CMS

VS

DEWALT DW715 15-Amp 12-Inch Single-Bevel Compound Miter Saw

No laser, single bevel, but well loved in reviews.

I'm leaning toward the Hitachi.

Those prices are insane. I don't think you can go wrong either way, but hell, dual bevel, twice as bevelicious. I'd hope the Hitachi would have a stop for straight-up 90 like the DeWalt- looks like it does.
I was in hog heaven when I bought my DeWalt single bevel for about 3 bills some years ago...it's been very reliable. But I'd probably get the Hitachi.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Disagree. It gets down to familiarity, but consider that the circular saw is generally +- 2 HP rated in a very small tool comparatively speaking. Back when I started in 1971, my boss would point to some older carpenter at a given jobsite missing a few fingers; he explained that when the circular saw was first popularized by Skil, guys loved them but had no clue how easily they could buck out of control, or kickback, etc. And you'd see the idiot frame carpenters who invariably pinned the guard out of the way. I saw one yayhoo example of that where the saw trigger jammed and that fucker ran along the ground until the cord got tangled up.
Now that guys (and girls) are more familar with them, plus the advances of modern surgery....

I've never had kickback using a circular saw, have I been using it wrong right all this time? :ohdear:

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

wormil posted:

I've been loosely watching the price on the DW715 for a good 6 months or so, hoping to buy it from Home Depot with a birthday gift card. The current Amazon price is a bit higher now than it was when I started, and I don't think Home Depot has been asking less than $50 more at any point in those months.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

Cakefool posted:

I've never had kickback using a circular saw, have I been using it wrong right all this time? :ohdear:

Just don't cut so that the weight of the wood forces itself into the blade, i.e. between two saw horses when ripping a 2x4 or sheet of plywood. I had a nice wake-up call when first getting comfortable with my circular saw from that, it's terrifying to have the saw jump back toward you.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Laminator posted:

Just don't cut so that the weight of the wood forces itself into the blade, i.e. between two saw horses when ripping a 2x4 or sheet of plywood. I had a nice wake-up call when first getting comfortable with my circular saw from that, it's terrifying to have the saw jump back toward you.

And on a related note, don't stand directly behind the blade. Ideally the blade is to your side so all cutting force is directed away from you.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Just came across a video on Adam Savage's part sorting system (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OPSbF6kM9k), and turns out it's exactly the sort (heh) of thing I've been wanting without realizing it.

Basically they're ridiculously overengineered parts cases with modular part bins, so they can be easily rearranged/resized and aren't flimsy like dividers. The Sortimo ones in the video are apparently hard to find retail (and are $80 each), but Amazon has something similar for $12 that come in both deep and shallow (Stanley 014725 25-Removable Compartment Professional Organizer).

Does anyone have one? I'm about to buy like 6.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Yeah I have like 6 of the stanley shallow ones, and a dozen or so of stack-on brand deep ones.

I would have gotten all an stanley set had I known about it at the time, but I started collecting the deep cup stack-on's first. Stack-on doesn't sell a shallow version with removable cups. Their deep version is pretty much the same as stanley's though (a friend bought some that I've seen in person).

The shallow stanley's are great for small hardware and electronics components. You really can't beat them for the price, go for it.

MrPete
May 17, 2007

rawrr posted:

The Sortimo ones in the video are apparently hard to find retail (and are $80 each),
Holy cow, finally something is cheaper in Australia than over there? Sortimo T-Boxx (the ones that Adam has, there is also the slightly smaller/cheaper I-Boxx) only cost me $60 here!

Anyway, ToolGuyD has a bunch of articles about parts organisers. Seems like it might be worthwhile waiting for an Amazon sale on the Stanley ones.

If anyone does decide to splash out on the T-boxx, you won't regret it. They are so very nice.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Another thing in favor of circular saws: none of the other tools mentioned can be for example fitted with a concrete or asphalt blade and used to edit the driveway/sidewalk/road. Or used to cut apart a car. :dukedog:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Splizwarf posted:

Another thing in favor of circular saws: none of the other tools mentioned can be for example fitted with a concrete or asphalt blade and used to edit the driveway/sidewalk/road. Or used to cut apart a car. :dukedog:

Really? No personal experience with it, but I've heard that cutting concrete is a great way to kill your circular saw.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

canyoneer posted:

Really? No personal experience with it, but I've heard that cutting concrete is a great way to kill your circular saw.

The guys that saw-cut my slab used a Skil Saw. it looked like they used it for everything, since they had to remove a standard wood blade for the diamond one. Worked great.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

rawrr posted:

Just came across a video on Adam Savage's part sorting system (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OPSbF6kM9k), and turns out it's exactly the sort (heh) of thing I've been wanting without realizing it.

Basically they're ridiculously overengineered parts cases with modular part bins, so they can be easily rearranged/resized and aren't flimsy like dividers. The Sortimo ones in the video are apparently hard to find retail (and are $80 each), but Amazon has something similar for $12 that come in both deep and shallow (Stanley 014725 25-Removable Compartment Professional Organizer).

Does anyone have one? I'm about to buy like 6.

Server rack on the left has about 30 of them front/rear. Work great!

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

the spyder posted:

Server rack on the left has about 30 of them front/rear. Work great!

How well do they slot into the rack? Did you have to do anything special to set that up? That is an awesome use of otherwise empty rack space.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Anyone have an opinion on a roofing hammer?

I need to re-do a shed roof this weekend, and while I've done a house roof before with a shovel, a crowbar, a chalk line, and a framing hammer, this one is a barn-style roof, so I'm going to be doing it all from a ladder and want the most efficient/helpful tool to do it.

I'm looking at the Stanley Fat Max (http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-54-02...=roofing+hammer), which seems like a good combo of "not completely crap" and "not a $100 tool for professional roofers" but I'm wondering if any of you have favorites.

I'm willing to spend up to $50, but since my lifetime average is about one roof per decade, I'd rather spend less than more.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Vaughn and Estwing roofing hammers are both made in the USA. My Estwing is a great hammer (not a roofing hammer though).

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

stealie72 posted:

Anyone have an opinion on a roofing hammer?

I need to re-do a shed roof this weekend, and while I've done a house roof before with a shovel, a crowbar, a chalk line, and a framing hammer, this one is a barn-style roof, so I'm going to be doing it all from a ladder and want the most efficient/helpful tool to do it.

I'm looking at the Stanley Fat Max (http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-54-02...=roofing+hammer), which seems like a good combo of "not completely crap" and "not a $100 tool for professional roofers" but I'm wondering if any of you have favorites.

I'm willing to spend up to $50, but since my lifetime average is about one roof per decade, I'd rather spend less than more.

Learn from my mistake, buy a wood handled hammer.
http://www.amazon.com/Vaughan-14-Ou...=roofing+hammer

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

armorer posted:

How well do they slot into the rack? Did you have to do anything special to set that up? That is an awesome use of otherwise empty rack space.

They fit within a 1/4" on each side, making removal easy. I just added wood shelves. I'm keeping several hundred pounds of nuts/bolts/screws/wiring/ect and so far it still rolls nicely. I'm waiting for them to go back on sale to pickup another dozen.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
So I made the exciting / dumb act of ordering a laser cutter. Despite being too much money (for me, not necessarily in general), I'm pretty excited. I'm hoping they ship before Christmas so that I can do some stuff with it.

It's this thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R3mMUsHFvU

I know there are cheaper options on the market, like these Chinese lasers on eBay, but I literally never see anything good about them online, except for price - all the laser sites seem to complain about poo poo arriving broken, bent, or with wires hanging around, and I don't feel like dealing with that. Plus, for me at least, I think the internal camera stuff is pretty cool.

They're starting at $1995, though my referral link (no shame) would get us each a hundred bucks off: http://glowforge.com/referred/?kid=6PNQ7

Anyway, more to the point - does anyone have any good suggestions of stuff to do with a medium powered laser cutter aside from making a bunch of giant wooden dicks? I want to have a set of project ideas lined up for when it gets here; I think I want to start with one of these Moroccan shadow lamps:

...except I guess not round or whatever unless I figure out some cool way to apply veneers, or something.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

mediaphage posted:

So I made the exciting / dumb act of ordering a laser cutter. Despite being too much money (for me, not necessarily in general), I'm pretty excited. I'm hoping they ship before Christmas so that I can do some stuff with it.

It's this thing:

I know there are cheaper options on the market, like these Chinese lasers on eBay, but I literally never see anything good about them online, except for price - all the laser sites seem to complain about poo poo arriving broken, bent, or with wires hanging around, and I don't feel like dealing with that. Plus, for me at least, I think the internal camera stuff is pretty cool.

They're starting at $1995, though my referral link (no shame) would get us each a hundred bucks off: http://glowforge.com/referred/?kid=6PNQ7

Anyway, more to the point - does anyone have any good suggestions of stuff to do with a medium powered laser cutter aside from making a bunch of giant wooden dicks? I want to have a set of project ideas lined up for when it gets here; I think I want to start with one of these Moroccan shadow lamps:

...except I guess not round or whatever unless I figure out some cool way to apply veneers, or something.

That thing looks sick. I just got an epilog 60 watt. I would kill for the cloud services. Jump on pinterest and dig around that's how I got my first projects. If you engrave anything invest invest in paper transfer tape which is just 12" wide masking tape.

TheBigBad fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 25, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

mediaphage posted:

It's this thing:

I watched that video earlier today. Looks like a really awesome product, I hope it lives up to the video.

As far as projects, you should get into wooden model ship building, a laser cutter would be pretty handing for making your own parts. :v:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

TheBigBad posted:

That thing looks sick. I just got an epilog 60 watt. I would kill for the cloud services. Jump on pinterest and dig around that's how I got my first projects. If you engrave anything invest invest in paper transfer tape which is just 12" wide masking tape.

Haha, it's nice to hear someone say it looks cool instead of just making GBS threads on me for not buying the sub-$1000 Chinese offerings. I'd love to be able to afford a 60W Epilog, though, haha! Maybe I can charge hipsters to engrave their MacBooks.

The Locator posted:

I watched that video earlier today. Looks like a really awesome product, I hope it lives up to the video.

As far as projects, you should get into wooden model ship building, a laser cutter would be pretty handing for making your own parts. :v:

Yeah, me too. In re: ship building, that sounds suspiciously like an addict trying to get me hooked on something....

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
First one's got a high freeboard. :pervert:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

mediaphage posted:

In re: ship building, that sounds suspiciously like an addict trying to get me hooked on something....

What, me? I would never even consider such a thing. :q:

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

I came here explicitly because of that glow forge thing as well. Glad to see I'm not alone in buying the hype at least. Also you can go to tested YouTube page. They just posted a video of it in action and it looks super simple to use.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Anyone familiar with chip carving and have any knife recommendations? I'm in a studio apartment, but I'd like to start some crafting, so I figured I'd go small. From youtube, chip carving seems like it wouldn't be too hard to get into. Also would take some recommendations on whittling knives as well.

e: Also some sort of small hand saw and jig would be nice as well.

HarmB fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 27, 2015

coathat
May 21, 2007

I don't do chip carving but I love my flexcut whittling knife

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I have toyed with chip carving and found it requires more practice than first appears but I love the look.

Small hand saw and jig for general purpose? Or miter saw? Maybe be more specific.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

wormil posted:

I have toyed with chip carving and found it requires more practice than first appears but I love the look.

Small hand saw and jig for general purpose? Or miter saw? Maybe be more specific.

I guess I'm looking for a miter saw and didn't know the term. Something to just make accurate cuts without having to own a bigass saw.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Harmburger posted:

I guess I'm looking for a miter saw and didn't know the term. Something to just make accurate cuts without having to own a bigass saw.

If I had to own one saw and only one saw, it would be a circular saw. However you said you're in an apartment, and any power saw is going to create a lot of noise and throw dust everywhere, so you're probably better off with a hand saw.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

King Hotpants posted:

If I had to own one saw and only one saw, it would be a circular saw. However you said you're in an apartment, and any power saw is going to create a lot of noise and throw dust everywhere, so you're probably better off with a hand saw.

Pick up a circular saw plus a guide.
Don't pick up a saw if you are doing it inside in your apartment or balcony. If you are outside in the garage or parking area then okay.

MrPete
May 17, 2007

Harmburger posted:

Something like a Nobex miter saw might suit then.

You should give us an idea of budget too, otherwise someone (me) will suggest a Jointmaker Pro

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe
My Craftsman random orbit sander finally bit the dust (hurr). I'm partial to DeWalt corded tools but the last couple i've bought were a little ehh... Anyone have a favorite?

I'm redoing my house so it gets pretty heavy use between sanding / stripping wood flood and miles of molding. Def needs to be able to connect to a shop vac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Dirty Beluga posted:

My Craftsman random orbit sander finally bit the dust (hurr). I'm partial to DeWalt corded tools but the last couple i've bought were a little ehh... Anyone have a favorite?

I'm redoing my house so it gets pretty heavy use between sanding / stripping wood flood and miles of molding. Def needs to be able to connect to a shop vac.

You should rent a floor sander for sanding floors, doing it with a R/O is kinda insane. (I've done that too, though) I've had a Porter-Cable 5" with velcro pad forever, replaced the disc twice now. Need to replace the cord. Sander keeps on trucking.
Got a half-sheet makita that used to be my go-to, never used since I bought the Porter-Cable a good 25 years ago.