Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
:captainpop:

That is amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Cheers, but please note that this is 18mm not 28mm.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
:siren:HUGE FUCKOFF POST INCOMING:siren:

So we played a great game of Black Powder last night. We were quite unprepared, having thought out no scenario or made any sort of OrBat. We basically just used everything we had, organised into more or less historical brigades. We improvised some reinforcement rules which ended up scattering our forces and having most of the British Division on the sidelines for most of the battle. It had also been a while, so we got a lot of the rules wrong. I'll just post pics and write out what happened. If you spot a rules error or something like that, chances are we spotted it ourselves a couple of rounds late. Hope it isn't too distracting from what was otherwise a bloody great game! Seriously, this game was easily among the top 5 of games I've ever played! Black Powder is a great ruleset and we should all play it more.

After the Battle of Quatre Bras, the Anglo-allied army was doing everything it could to regroup. Picton's 5th division was scattered, and moving to assemble at a small farm near Waterloo. A battalion of Riflemen were scouting ahead, while a regiment of the King's German Legion Light Dragoons was barging ahead and past them. A single artillery battery, which had become seperated from the brigade it was attached to, was moving along the road, oblivious to the danger ahead: the farm itself was occupied by a battalion of French Light Infantry!

Having sent a runner to their parent division, the single infantry battalion was quickly reinforced by a regiment of elite French Cuirassiers. They quickly moved up the centre, trying to catch the lone battery before it could be supported. Meanwhile, a battalion of the elite Old Guard Chasseurs arrived to hold the French left flank.

Determined not to let the Cuirassiers destroy the battery, the KGL Light Dragoons flanked the them and charged their rear. In the mean time, the Riflemen advanced to the hedgerow, wanting to slow the advance of the Old Guard until more British reinforcements arrived.

The cavalry clash resulted in the Cuirassiers becoming hopelessly disordered. They ended up fleeing the field, no doubt completely taken aback at the nerve of these lowly Light Dragoons.

The Old Guard Chasseurs maneuvered to move around the Riflemen, but the skirmishers took position on the small hill, firing off harrying shots at them. The French elite reformed into line. A drawn-out firefight had erupted in the centre.

While all this happened, a regiment of French Light Dragoons had arrived on the field behind the farmhouse. They tried to emulate the success of their KGL counterparts, but were met with disastrous results! The KGL Dragoons simply about-faced on the spot, took the charge and chased them off! Their casualties were horrendous though, and they retreated to behind the hill held by the 95th Rifles to regroup, while more Old Guard battalions arrived on the field.

The single artillery battery noticed that there were no cavalry threats immediately near by, moved forward, unlimbered and opened up on the Light Infantry in the farmhouse.

Having caught their breath and being reinforced by another regiment of KGL Light Dragoons, the Anglo-German cavalry moved into a brigade line, and screened the artillery from newly arrived French light cavalry. The accurate rifle fire has been taking its' toll on the Old Guard, forcing them to retreat. The French elite reinforcements come pouring in in a steady stream by now however, making the Riflemen doubt they can keep the upper hand for long. The cavalry from both sides advance towards each other, looking to cross sabres in the centre.

Under cover of the French Light Infantry taking cover in the farm, the French Light Dragoons strike! Charging the cavalry emerge from the clouds of powder smoke, completely surprise the KGL cavalry brigade, forcing the first regiment to withdraw from the field in disorder, and pushing the second regiment back. Satisfied with their work, the French cavalry take cover in the fields behind the farm. However, the beat of drums herald the arrival of the Hannoverian Militia Brigade. Two whole battalions might even out the odds for the Anglo-allied side a little.

Wary of being flanked, the Riflemen retreat in good order, keeping up a harrying fire against the implacable Guard infantry. Meanwhile, regular French Line Infantry reinforcements arrive in the centre, negating the local numerical superiority the arrival of the Hannoverians had achieved there.

A single battalion of Hannoverians advanced on the farm, under cover of cannon fire. The other battalion was held up by disorder in the ranks, owing to the fresh militia recruits' lack of drill experience. Soon the farm was covered in powder smoke. The French cavalry took a chance, and rode hard looking to chase the British gun crew from the field, as the Guard was folding out their lines pounding the KGL Dragoons. A volley of canister shot at point blank changed their minds about the plan though.

Where the French Dragoons had failed, the Guard tried to succeed. Firing a deadly volley at close range, several artillery crewmen fell. After a few choice words from their commander however, they reorganised, turned and chased one of the Guard battalions off with well placed canister shot.

On the left flank, the British 9th Brigade arrived, evening out the odds even further. The advantage was slowly turning towards the Anglo-allied army. Furious volleys were exchanged between the highlanders and the French Line as the fight for the farm intensified.

The French Light Infantry had been forced off the farm and been replaced by a Line Infantry battalion, which was itself starting to crack under the pressure of superior allied numbers. The remaining KGL Dragoons performed feinted charges at the Guard battalions, forcing them into square formation and trying to delay them until the rest of the 9th brigade arrived on the right flank.

Getting my final British reinforcements on the right flank, and breaking the last defenders of the farm, we decided to call the game a clear allied victory. I lost my Riflemen battalion and 2 regiments of KGL Light Dragoons, the French player had lost several infantry battalions, his Cuirassiers, Light Dragoons and a lot of the Guard, plus he had lost the farm he was supposed to defend. Even though it ended sort of sudden death-like, it was midnight, we had drunk two bottles of wine, and didn't have the energy for more.

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Sep 19, 2015

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Whoa.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Throbbing blob posted:

:siren:HUGE FUCKOFF POST INCOMING:siren:

Magnificent.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
So when Team Yankee is released does it count as historical and go in here?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Its amazing what slipping a few tea lights into something like that can do. I've seen "Flickering" ones used as the base of fire/smoke plumes for wrecked vehicles too.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Numlock posted:

So when Team Yankee is released does it count as historical and go in here?

I think CWGH scenarios have always been historical; historics aren't necessarily always recreations of the past directly, they can also be historically-projected events and hypotheticals.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

spectralent posted:

I think CWGH scenarios have always been historical; historics aren't necessarily always recreations of the past directly, they can also be historically-projected events and hypotheticals.
Exactly this. It's just FoW with different tanks anyways.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Its amazing what slipping a few tea lights into something like that can do. I've seen "Flickering" ones used as the base of fire/smoke plumes for wrecked vehicles too.

Not tea lights, those are strips of LEDs with a microcontroller for random flashes.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Team Yankee will be a neat test of the hypothesis where the reason there's so much German poo poo is because the Germans had so many weird vehicles and uniforms, as opposed to grogs being horrible people.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Pierzak posted:

Not tea lights, those are strips of LEDs with a microcontroller for random flashes.

Even more awesome.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Forums Terrorist posted:

Team Yankee will be a neat test of the hypothesis where the reason there's so much German poo poo is because the Germans had so many weird vehicles and uniforms, as opposed to grogs being horrible people.

While I think that's a part of the german appeal to non-awful people, how would TY test this? Are we assuming that MBTs will hold appeal to people who liked Panthers and Tigers?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The Soviets had a significantly more varied line of vehicles than the US, iirc. Especially if you take ERA into account, I feel like there'd be more modelling opportunities with the commies.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I think the awful people will just wait until West Germans are in.

I know I am... mostly because I'm going to do Soviets first.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Numlock posted:

I think the awful people will just wait until West Germans are in.

I know I am... mostly because I'm going to do Soviets first.

I hope BF does a little more than just porting their old Soviet rules because in the other-period mods for FoW they tend to make the opfor faction super boring which leads to a billion Israeli/US players and no Jordanian/Egyptian/NVA.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Panzeh posted:

I hope BF does a little more than just porting their old Soviet rules because in the other-period mods for FoW they tend to make the opfor faction super boring which leads to a billion Israeli/US players and no Jordanian/Egyptian/NVA.

Totally agreed. If TY ends up as Fate of a Nation with green camo instead of tan , I'm not gonna bother with it at all.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I have the beginnings of a UAR T-55 force, but yeah basically playing against Israeli M51s loving suck rear end

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

spectralent posted:

Even actual historical scenarios become "what-if" scenarios, otherwise they'd be incredibly boring as you move your tiny pewter men according to the exact things they already did.

Also, the cold war is over, so it's historical! :)

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Panzeh posted:

this is my other reservation, the sov ruled suck my balls

but then it's literally called team yankee with an American flag and everything (yeah i know it's based on a book)

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah, even in the main game I was amazed how crippling Hen and Chicks is.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Forums Terrorist posted:

There are a ton of obscure Soviet vehicles and uniforms in the WWII period to sperg out over, anyone that painted 15 different kinds of SS armies is probably not in it for uniform variety.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

spectralent posted:

Yeah, even in the main game I was amazed how crippling Hen and Chicks is.

The funniest thing is that the Jordanians with their normal-sized tank platoons also have it.

The Jordanians are a fine example of "oh gently caress it give them British Bulldog" which is what BF does when they don't know what to do.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Ensign Expendable posted:

There are a ton of obscure Soviet vehicles and uniforms in the WWII period to sperg out over, anyone that painted 15 different kinds of SS armies is probably not in it for uniform variety.

Especially Early War the Soviets are incredibly ragtag. But then I guess Germans also have the SUPERIOR GERMAN ENGINEERING thing going for them, which is going to also be part of the appeal. Russians probably won't have the same reputation for designing the perfect tanks (in fact I know they won't).

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Yeah...

...the superior German engineering...

*keeps fighting T-34s and K-2s with pak 36's and Pz. IIs*

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

lilljonas posted:

Yeah...

They had engineered much better tanks by then, but the allied bombing campaign cut out all the resources needed to field them in any real numbers.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

They had engineered much better tanks by then, but the allied bombing campaign cut out all the resources needed to field them in any real numbers.

I know, it's just that we're mostly playing around 1941 now, and "better tanks" is really not what I feel is my advantage as a German player.

Wicked MG teams and better platoon leadership however, now we're talking.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Panzeh posted:

The funniest thing is that the Jordanians with their normal-sized tank platoons also have it.

The Jordanians are a fine example of "oh gently caress it give them British Bulldog" which is what BF does when they don't know what to do.

*gives Mission Tactics to everyone, except Soviets because gently caress you that's why*

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

lilljonas posted:

Yeah...

Yeah, it's bollocks, but people have this mental image of german tanks being perfect, immortal death machines (c.f. "Impenetrable tiger", "Five shermans to defeat one panther", etc etc) compared to anything the allies had. Russia doesn't have a memetic legacy of making feared and respected tanks; everyone "knows" that Russian engineering is only good for pumping out masses for zerg rushes in anticipation of their enormous casualty ratio.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Forums Terrorist posted:

*gives Mission Tactics to everyone, except Soviets because gently caress you that's why*

Mission Tactics, stabilizers, British Bulldog, Stormtrooper.

Uh here Jordan, take Avanti! too.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

spectralent posted:

Yeah, it's bollocks, but people have this mental image of german tanks being perfect, immortal death machines (c.f. "Impenetrable tiger", "Five shermans to defeat one panther", etc etc) compared to anything the allies had. Russia doesn't have a memetic legacy of making feared and respected tanks; everyone "knows" that Russian engineering is only good for pumping out masses for zerg rushes in anticipation of their enormous casualty ratio.

True, but it is kind of understandable if you only look at the North Africa front, where German Panzer was pretty good compared to what the Brits had available, and at 44-45 in Western Europe, when plucky but plentiful Shermans stood up to the results of years of German tank development came up with. It's just that on a tactical level, a lot of Soviet stuff is really scary if you don't just run the créme de la créme, and if you are fighting around 1940-42.

"Haha, oh, so Hitler actually had a single good idea once in his life and wanted to switch to longer and heavier guns, and you didn't listen, so our tanks are stuck with woeful penetration for another year? That's dandy, isn't it?"

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Colonial Air Force posted:

No amount of resources would help them produce the tanks faster, since each Tiger was the product of a set of craftsmen rather than an assembly line. Also the logistical train of a Tiger or Tiger II battalion was enormous, and heavy engineering halftracks aren't free either. It took almost twice as many men to maintain a single Tiger than a single IS-2.

lilljonas posted:

Yeah...

The Pak 36 was actually a pretty decent little gun, mostly because the Germans pumped out so many of them that every infantry unit had at least some kind of AT support and tank units had organic AT assets for ambushes and such. Turns out that sort of thing matters a hell of a lot when you're fighting in the real world and not comparing millimeters on paper.

lilljonas posted:

True, but it is kind of understandable if you only look at the North Africa front, where German Panzer was pretty good compared to what the Brits had available, and at 44-45 in Western Europe, when plucky but plentiful Shermans stood up to the results of years of German tank development came up with. It's just that on a tactical level, a lot of Soviet stuff is really scary if you don't just run the créme de la créme, and if you are fighting around 1940-42.

"Haha, oh, so Hitler actually had a single good idea once in his life and wanted to switch to longer and heavier guns, and you didn't listen, so our tanks are stuck with woeful penetration for another year? That's dandy, isn't it?"

I don't think the KwK 40 (a reasonable option) was Hitler's idea, he wanted crazy poo poo like this.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

The Pak 36 was actually a pretty decent little gun, mostly because the Germans pumped out so many of them that every infantry unit had at least some kind of AT support and tank units had organic AT assets for ambushes and such. Turns out that sort of thing matters a hell of a lot when you're fighting in the real world and not comparing millimeters on paper.

The Pak 36 was one of the best of the pre-war AT guns and a lot of countries copied it to make their own.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I don't think the KwK 40 (a reasonable option) was Hitler's idea, he wanted crazy poo poo like this.

At least the document I watched recently claimed that Hitler wanted to switch the Pz. IIIs off from the inadequate 5cm gun pretty early, but that his orders were not followed and that the Soviet tank advantage against the Pz. III was prolonged because of that. But I'm far from an expert.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Is there a miniature system that treats the soviets like they actually were, ie competent enough to turn the german war machine on its head and not this cold war propaganda bullshit like in fow with hen and chicks and hordes like a fantasy orc army?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

dtkozl posted:

Is there a miniature system that treats the soviets like they actually were, ie competent enough to turn the german war machine on its head and not this cold war propaganda bullshit like in fow with hen and chicks and hordes like a fantasy orc army?

I think it's mostly there to allow them to have huge hordes of tanks. But you might be interested in Chain of Command, which has less differentiation in troop styles via special rules and stuff period.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

dtkozl posted:

BF has always erred on the comic book realism side of things, and IMO the biggest sin of hen and chicks isn't so much its lack of accuracy but it being thrown into literally everything in the opfors of the old lists and it tends not to come out very interestingly in play- you see stuff like 10x Matilda IIs because it's the ultimate cheap assault tank platoon and Hen & Chicks doesn't affect that function.

There are Soviet lists where you can buy off Hen and Chicks, for example.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Those are Hero lists, though, which tend to be overpriced.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
I was fine with it in early war since it was simulating the lack of radios in soviet tanks and their doctrine of always going into the attack buttoned up and it did an ok job. The problem I have is they didn't really get rid of it for late war when they had radios.

That combined with the hordes of infantry, which were always a fiction, I can only figure they kept hens and chicks so they could keep up the high tank numbers and reinforce the old lie of the faceless soviet horde.

I have not played bolt action but it seems you get a free conscript squad as the soviets? Seem rather suspect as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

dtkozl posted:

I'd like one that didn't have bullshit commissar rules, too. No idea if CoC does or not.