Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

It's actually much worse than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Baron Bifford posted:

What happens to Keira if you let her go to Radovid?

she gets the ole Ivan treatment

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Radovid seemed to have given special treatment to all the Lodge sorceresses he caught. Margarita's is especially bad. Being forced to watch all of her students get tortured to death one by one while she's saved for last, and all.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Baron Bifford posted:

What happens to Keira if you let her go to Radovid?

Let's just say she gets penetrated :quagmire:

spoilers: http://i.imgur.com/XMAVhHD.jpg

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
There's no way I could be all "oh OK, I'm sure Radovid would make an exception for you".

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
At least she doesn't have bedbugs any more.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Anyway, with the other fork, it means Lambert actually gets laid and might stop being so salty all the time.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

The Deadly Hume posted:

Anyway, with the other fork, it means Lambert actually gets laid and might stop being so salty all the time.

Kaer Morhen spoilers: I wish Geralt could give Lambert a bunch of poo poo about Keira. Would be amusing.

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

In my quest to find hjalmar I found a cave network with trolls who like riddles. Hopefully there's lots of other neat stuff to find in my second play through.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It's a tad surprising because Radovid did keep a small number of captive mages alive for his personal use, and he was frustrated that they weren't very talented. You'd think he'd jump at having Keira in his service.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Sep 19, 2015

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

EcoBlue posted:

Have you tried the alternative movement style? It's under game options.

World of difference, thanks!

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Holy shiiiit

I've enjoyed this game immensely, but towards the end game there are certain characters that confuse me, such as Djikstra, where after killing Radovid, he tells you to get lost while he kills your bros, and then when you tell him "Yeah can't let you do that" he attacks anyways. Surely someone like Djikstra knows he is absolutely hosed against Geralt and would rather preserve himself and just say "haha alright well cya later guys"? I understand the random thugs that dont know what or who Geralt is.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Baron Bifford posted:

It's a tad surprising because Radovid did keep a small number of captive mages alive for his personal use, and he was frustrated that they weren't very talented. You'd think he'd jump at having Keira in his service.

Kiera isn't one of the small fishes. She's too dangerous to keep against her will and take off the dimeritium shackles every now and then when he needs something. Book spoiler: She and another one gets sent after Vilgefortz and the Lodge is pretty confident that they and a bunch of mercs can take him and the rest of the castle down.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

JaucheCharly posted:

Kiera isn't one of the small fishes. She's too dangerous to keep against her will and take off the dimeritium shackles every now and then when he needs something. Book spoiler: She and another one gets sent after Vilgefortz and the Lodge is pretty confident that they and a bunch of mercs can take him and the rest of the castle down.

True, but Lodge was arrogant as gently caress.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Speaking of Keira, why does her card look so different from her design? With pretty much every other character it seems like they're using the exact design used in the game, but not with her.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Maybe that is how she really looks but she uses magics to look different.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Defiant Sally posted:

I've enjoyed this game immensely, but towards the end game there are certain characters that confuse me, such as Djikstra, where after killing Radovid, he tells you to get lost while he kills your bros, and then when you tell him "Yeah can't let you do that" he attacks anyways. Surely someone like Djikstra knows he is absolutely hosed against Geralt and would rather preserve himself and just say "haha alright well cya later guys"? I understand the random thugs that dont know what or who Geralt is.

That's one place where the writing really felt off. Ideally you'd have an optional way of finding out Djikstra was planning to kill Roche & Co and then confront him over it, but the way he does it is just asking to get shanked, specially when in one of their first encounters in the books an unarmed and subdued Geralt beat the crap out of his guards and broke his leg.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Does the game offer any explanation for why the Redanians hate magic so much? Aside from necromancy, it doesn't seem inherently bad and is actually immensely useful.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Baron Bifford posted:

Does the game offer any explanation for why the Redanians hate magic so much? Aside from necromancy, it doesn't seem inherently bad and is actually immensely useful.

I think it's mostly just Radovid, right?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

I think its mostly peasant superstition and general awfulness, same as in reality. Except more so, because their poo poo actually works. Yeah, its immensely useful, but that just means you actually have to be worried she'll curse you for something trivial.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Ravenfood posted:

I think its mostly peasant superstition and general awfulness, same as in reality. Except more so, because their poo poo actually works. Yeah, its immensely useful, but that just means you actually have to be worried she'll curse you for something trivial.
If Redania shuns all mages, then eventually it will be destroyed by other nations that are not so foolish. If I was a ruler, I'd try to mass-produce these guys.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 19, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Baron Bifford posted:

It's Radovid mostly, not Redania as a whole. And yes, it's explained. Though more in the other games and in the books than in this game where the situation has already come to a head. Philippa Eilhart was not a very good parental figure evidently and seriously hosed Radovid up. Necromancy isn't inherently bad either. It's just gross because corpses.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

The Sharmat posted:

Necromancy isn't inherently bad either. It's just gross because corpses.
I remember reading a book written by some scholar that necromancy is the one magical discipline that is absolutely evil. Necromancy always does more harm than good.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Geralt uses necromancy to his benefit in both of the last two games. In one of them it appeared to have no harmful side effects whatsoever. That book is just one writer's opinion. I don't think necromancy even has a strict definition beyond "magic being used involving dead people". I doubt the Pellar considers himself a necromancer, but others would disagree.

Keep in mind this is a setting where performing autopsies is illegal in many nations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

I remember reading a book written by some scholar that necromancy is the one magical discipline that is absolutely evil. Necromancy always does more harm than good.
Right, but the people in the game world aren't necessarily right about what they're writing about, any more than a 1400s treatise on medicine was accurate. That's the scholar's opinion ingame. (This is also why the book about She-Who-Knows shouldn't be taken as 100% truth either).

Baron Bifford posted:

If Redania shuns all mages, then eventually it will be destroyed by other nations that are not so foolish. If I was a ruler, I'd try to mass-produce these guys.
Yeah, until they all look around, decide that they're basically the ministers/assistants/powers-behind-the-throne of most of the major countries and have more in common with each other than their rulers and decide to scheme with each other for their own ends. And that's just the realpolitik reason, you've still got to deal with your hordes of completely uneducated populace who think that Beatrice over there has to be a mind-controlling hexwitch because my husband would never ever sleep with her otherwise, so lets burn her. Also this mysterious rash I have is her doing. And my crops failed because of her. And clearly, all witches are unholy and should die, because my son is off fighting a righteous and noble war for his king, but he's losing because the king listens to those scheming evil people (which, given the Lodge, was actually true). And then the soldiery revolts because they signed up to fight a war for their king, not a cabal of evil people who have influenced my king, the peasants have to be cowed with more military, and so on. There are definitely good reasons to use religion/fear of the other to keep your population loyal, especially if you can use that to make your enemies' army consider switching sides too.

Magic's an overt tool, but there are some very good reasons for a ruler to avoid/minimize its (visible) use.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah people tend to take characters' opinions way too literally. Everyone is pretty realistically biased in these games.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I really want to get Witcher 3, because I really like how they do business. I haven't had the best time with witcher 1 and 2, but I want to beat at least ONE of them before I consider getting Witcher 3.

So, I'm focusing on Witcher 2. My problem is that I'm terrible. When I'm not riposting, it usually devolves into "Get killed by monster, reload, place 15 traps where it spawns, repeat" which is really boring and unfulfilling.

So, with the knowledge in mind that I'm literally bad at videogames, is there a particular way I should be building Geralt so that I can do the most bullshit possible and crush enemies? I know I need to be throwing knives and bombs and setting traps and casting spells, but I don't find a lot of resources. If there's a generally Really Good Way To Go, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

I really do want to like this series, but for whatever reason combat and leveling isn't clicking for me. HELLP

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
If you're just bad at the game you could always lower the difficulty level. That's what the slider is there for.

EDIT: More useful advice would be to pick cheesy stuff like max upgraded quen and aard, also use lots of bombs. The game's difficulty curve is a bit hosed such that the early game is mostly the hardest part.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 19, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I really want to get Witcher 3, because I really like how they do business. I haven't had the best time with witcher 1 and 2, but I want to beat at least ONE of them before I consider getting Witcher 3.

So, I'm focusing on Witcher 2. My problem is that I'm terrible. When I'm not riposting, it usually devolves into "Get killed by monster, reload, place 15 traps where it spawns, repeat" which is really boring and unfulfilling.

So, with the knowledge in mind that I'm literally bad at videogames, is there a particular way I should be building Geralt so that I can do the most bullshit possible and crush enemies? I know I need to be throwing knives and bombs and setting traps and casting spells, but I don't find a lot of resources. If there's a generally Really Good Way To Go, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

I really do want to like this series, but for whatever reason combat and leveling isn't clicking for me. HELLP

The reason it's not clicking for you is because it's pretty terrible in W2. Combat in Witcher 3 is a lot more polished. The strength of the Witcher games is really in the story, so you should just lower the difficulty to whatever it takes for you to progress through the story at a fun pace.

I had the same problems with Witcher 2. Then I had them again when I went to replay it before W3 came out.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Clocked the game for the second time, with the best Ciri becomes a witcheress ending this time. Also Team Yennefer.

Although one thing I missed from the second best ending is you don't get an update from Dandelion [/spoiler]as to what's up with Priscilla getting better[/spoiler] and of course most of the main characters disappear from the world in the post-game.

Anyway I guess I'll give it a rest now until the first season pass stuff drops.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Forget knives. Always be Quenning. Use Aard to set up instakills (my biggest problem in W3 is how boring the instakills are, killed my Aard build dead). Use Yrden on big dudes. Level your roll so you have some mobility. Always have an oil. Bombs are useful, but not the be all and end all of combat.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Ravenfood posted:

Right, but the people in the game world aren't necessarily right about what they're writing about, any more than a 1400s treatise on medicine was accurate. That's the scholar's opinion ingame. (This is also why the book about She-Who-Knows shouldn't be taken as 100% truth either).
Yeah, until they all look around, decide that they're basically the ministers/assistants/powers-behind-the-throne of most of the major countries and have more in common with each other than their rulers and decide to scheme with each other for their own ends. And that's just the realpolitik reason, you've still got to deal with your hordes of completely uneducated populace who think that Beatrice over there has to be a mind-controlling hexwitch because my husband would never ever sleep with her otherwise, so lets burn her. Also this mysterious rash I have is her doing. And my crops failed because of her. And clearly, all witches are unholy and should die, because my son is off fighting a righteous and noble war for his king, but he's losing because the king listens to those scheming evil people (which, given the Lodge, was actually true). And then the soldiery revolts because they signed up to fight a war for their king, not a cabal of evil people who have influenced my king, the peasants have to be cowed with more military, and so on. There are definitely good reasons to use religion/fear of the other to keep your population loyal, especially if you can use that to make your enemies' army consider switching sides too.

Magic's an overt tool, but there are some very good reasons for a ruler to avoid/minimize its (visible) use.
Well, people in traditional societies didn't hate magic per se. Every time they prayed to the gods or carried a lucky charm or built a little house to attract friendly spirits, they were trying to work good magic. In medieval Europe, witches were a specific brand of magic-user: they were thought to be Satan-worshipers who visited sickness and back luck on their communities. They couldn't teleport across vast distances, toss fireballs, heal injuries, interrogate corpses, and spy on people through magic mirrors, as they do in Harry Potter movies and in video games. Writers often forget this difference.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Just skip it or watch and LP, honestly. If you like W3 enough that you want to go back, do that then (and start with W1 because it's actually awesome).

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Doesn't sound like you're rolling, you need to roll and dodge. Geralt can't go directly toe to toe with monsters or people, he's got to use dirty tricks.

Also, get 2nd level quen and the ability from the sword tree that reduces the damage you take from behind. They're key.

The Witcher series in general has a really odd difficulty curve. In all 3, the hardest fights in the game are at the beginning and then they get easier as you progress further into the game.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Snuffman posted:

The Witcher series in general has a really odd difficulty curve. In all 3, the hardest fights in the game are at the beginning and then they get easier as you progress further into the game.
Another problem is that there is often little logic to how powerful enemies are. Later in the game, you will encounter level 18 bandits that do not seem any different from the level 2 bandits you cut your teeth on. The game just bumped their stats to your level, much the same way World of Warcraft does with murlocs. Witcher 3 isn't good at conveying the impression that you're growing more powerful with experience.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 20, 2015

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Most of the way through my 2nd run, and I still love this game. There's so many little things I missed the first time. Obvious stuff too, like, the alchemy master being named Gremist ... get it, Gremist the chemist ... :doh:
Or that Imlerith's face paint is the Witcher "3" symbol.

Oh, and has anybody seen a hi-rez version of the painting of Dandelion killing a wyvern? Google is failing me and I want to print it out for my wall.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Han Nehi posted:

Most of the way through my 2nd run, and I still love this game. There's so many little things I missed the first time. Obvious stuff too, like, the alchemy master being named Gremist ... get it, Gremist the chemist ... :doh:
Or that Imlerith's face paint is the Witcher "3" symbol.

Oh, and has anybody seen a hi-rez version of the painting of Dandelion killing a wyvern? Google is failing me and I want to print it out for my wall.

Durden the Tailor is my favorite pop culture reference.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
EDIT TW2 talk: I normally would tell you not to use Quen but since you're a lot more interested in getting through the game than getting good at it, yeah, Quen away. It's a borderline overpowered crutch at the highest level. Though it's still somewhat overrated since it got nerfed heavily in patches.

Baron Bifford posted:

Well, people in traditional societies didn't hate magic per se. Every time they prayed to the gods or carried a lucky charm or built a little house to attract friendly spirits, they were trying to work good magic.
This is still the case in this setting. Many Priests and most druids use magic, they just don't call them spells, and get offended when you do. The difference between them and sorcerers is that sorcerers are part of a materialist scientific tradition instead of believing they get their abilities from a God or spirit of Nature. Turns out they're generally much more powerful than the other two, which rankles them, since Gods don't appear to exist (or at least, to intervene) in this setting so priests are just doing poorly understood magic rather than miracles. There's a scene in the very first book when a priest gets really pissed off when Geralt calls what he does spells. But he still stabilizes a teleport for him.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 20, 2015

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

So a while ago someone wondered why witchers and sorceresses seem to go well together. In the books in a Triss PoV chapter, she describes how witchers essentially have the "magic touch" and that Eskel has the best in that regard.

Also hot loving drat I can now see that the games are some much an extended love letter to the books and it's just fantastic how well CDPR have pulled it off. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I should start getting into the books but am concerned about reports of the dodgy translations.