Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Axetrain posted:

I would consider asking him over the course of the week when my expected ban will be implemented.

Oh I intend to, have no fear!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
My team, at least the name is a win. :D

http://wotscout.com/team/159242

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Captn Kurp posted:

Haven't played this game in ages, any tips on how to not be quite so bad at the game?

Literally hold W and hold left click on enemy tanks. The more damage you deal and the earlier you deal it, the more likely you are to win. If you cannot damage a tank, load premium ammo (buyable with credits now) or try to aim for a different spot (some flat turret faces are weak spots, many lower front plates are weak, etc.). Buy automatic extinguishers (buyable with credits now) and never fire High Explosives ammo. Also firing on the move is more accurate than it has any right to be.

unlawfulsoup posted:

My team, at least the name is a win. :D

http://wotscout.com/team/159242

Great name but god drat, your best hope if all your best players show is you get to play with only one 49%er. If you or that VILIN dude can't show, you're super dead.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Just got in a match with a guy who was complaining about the stock gun on the Tiger 2... because he was using auto aim... and shooting HE... :psyboom:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

McGavin posted:

Just got in a match with a guy who was complaining about the stock gun on the Tiger 2... because he was using auto aim... and shooting HE... :psyboom:

Well how do you expect his King Tiger to destroy fortifications with such an undersized HE round?!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Also he did 0 damage and hit 2/7 shots fired. He only had 5k battles and it was his first tier 8. :smith:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

McGavin posted:

Also he did 0 damage and hit 2/7 shots fired. He only had 5k battles and it was his first tier 8. :smith:

The Tiger 2 with the 88mm was loving fantastic when I ground it out. It made the tank so good since the crazy DPM of the 88 and decent handling went very well with my unkillable nazi box tank.

Then again I was playing historical battles against 76mm hellcats, 76mm E2s and the actually extremely fearsome 105mm M4s.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Captn Kurp posted:

Haven't played this game in ages, any tips on how to not be quite so bad at the game?

More of the game is accumulated knowledge and experience than raw twitch skills. Platoon with goons (check the PGS thread for the teamspeak) and the in game channel. What Hellsau said with W + Mouse is actually reasonable advice and one thing a lot of pubbies don't do.

There is a mod called XVM which you might want to look into, it will tell you who the good and bad players are, so you can focus on what the good players are doing when you're dead or when they're doing something that you can't counter.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Hellsau posted:

The Tiger 2 with the 88mm was loving fantastic when I ground it out. It made the tank so good since the crazy DPM of the 88 and decent handling went very well with my unkillable nazi box tank.

Then again I was playing historical battles against 76mm hellcats, 76mm E2s and the actually extremely fearsome 105mm M4s.

The M4 is when the 105 stops being really useful, right? Or the Easy Eight?

Because I saw someone in a Pershing with it last night. He tried to circle a platoon of CDCs and died with 0 damage :psyduck:

That was my last match of the night. gently caress pubbies.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

So a friend linked me to a video on artillery and it's problems, and after listening to suggestions and discussing it with him, I came up with an idea to make both artillery a bit more fun and at the same time, make radio operators not a completely useless crew position.

1: Artillery stat changes. -Alpha +Reload speed. I think most people would agree that reducing the alpha and increasing the fire rate would be preferable to the current system where it amounts to a slot machine that randomly kicks either you or the artillery player in the balls. Leave the accuracy alone for normal gameplay though, because an accuracy increase comes from....

2: Teamwork minigame. As it stands, asking for fire support is basically a waste of time. Maybe you'll get one more person to shoot at a given target, but unless you find a good group of pubbies, it rarely does much. Make it so that if a player asks for fire support with T, AND an artillery targets the same tank within 10 seconds by hitting T, the artillery gains a drastic improvement in accuracy and the time it takes to dial in. Functionally, the tank sends coordinates and the artillery confirms them. If you want to reinforce the light tank's role as a scout, allow light tanks to give a bigger bonus than other classes of vehicles. This bonus would last until the aim circle bloomed past a specific point, or until you aimed too far off from the zone. A little adjustment is ok, but you're not going to be able to slowly swing to the other side of the map and stay accurate.

3: Counterplay. Related to 2, while all the above might make artillery a bit more fun, it gives nothing to the people on the receiving in. Allow a perk or skill for the radio operator that alerts the person that they're being targeted. If it's a perk it should happen immediately, or perhaps with a decreasing delay if it's a skill. Called it "Radio interception" if you want. That should give you a few moments to get into cover if you're being targeted. Functionally, if you consider sixth sense to be an anti-scout warning feature, interception would be an anti-artillery warning feature.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Hellsau posted:

Great name but god drat, your best hope if all your best players show is you get to play with only one 49%er. If you or that VILIN dude can't show, you're super dead.

I am not expecting to get very far.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Don't worry. You'll get pretty far into Metro's heart.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Green Dam posted:

He is the wind beneath my team's wings.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rorac posted:

So a friend linked me to a video on artillery and it's problems, and after listening to suggestions and discussing it with him, I came up with an idea to make both artillery a bit more fun and at the same time, make radio operators not a completely useless crew position.

1: Artillery stat changes. -Alpha +Reload speed. I think most people would agree that reducing the alpha and increasing the fire rate would be preferable to the current system where it amounts to a slot machine that randomly kicks either you or the artillery player in the balls. Leave the accuracy alone for normal gameplay though, because an accuracy increase comes from....

The LeFH is the most fun artillery in the game because it's balanced like this. You shoot a lot of rounds and rack up damage through repeated hits, once in a while getting a one-hit kill. A miss is no big deal, because you get another chance to hit pretty quickly. If you're good enough you can dictate the flow of the battle and consistently support your team. Now there is an argument to be made that it's too good, but I think other artillery is just so bad that it stands out.

quote:

2: Teamwork minigame. As it stands, asking for fire support is basically a waste of time. Maybe you'll get one more person to shoot at a given target, but unless you find a good group of pubbies, it rarely does much. Make it so that if a player asks for fire support with T, AND an artillery targets the same tank within 10 seconds by hitting T, the artillery gains a drastic improvement in accuracy and the time it takes to dial in. Functionally, the tank sends coordinates and the artillery confirms them. If you want to reinforce the light tank's role as a scout, allow light tanks to give a bigger bonus than other classes of vehicles. This bonus would last until the aim circle bloomed past a specific point, or until you aimed too far off from the zone. A little adjustment is ok, but you're not going to be able to slowly swing to the other side of the map and stay accurate.

3: Counterplay. Related to 2, while all the above might make artillery a bit more fun, it gives nothing to the people on the receiving in. Allow a perk or skill for the radio operator that alerts the person that they're being targeted. If it's a perk it should happen immediately, or perhaps with a decreasing delay if it's a skill. Called it "Radio interception" if you want. That should give you a few moments to get into cover if you're being targeted. Functionally, if you consider sixth sense to be an anti-scout warning feature, interception would be an anti-artillery warning feature.

This is a really cool idea, and for that reason I can't see WG implementing anything like it outside a limited time gamemode (think Chaffee racing or KARL). But yeah, I would want to play (and face) artillery way more often if something like this was in the game.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

HE talk. Got my IS-7 killed by an E3 and JpE100 spamming HE rounds to my turret :downs:

I don't know what the gently caress but every shot killed an rear end in a top hat in my tank it seemed.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Now there is an argument to be made that it's too good, but I think other artillery is just so bad that it stands out.

The rest of the T4 artillery used to be pretty similar, the leFH just ended up nerf-immune since it's ~premium~ so the nerfs of patch whatever-it-was just blew past it. WGNA did a 50% off sale just before they stopped selling it too, which was useful for those of us that had figured out where the wind was blowing.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
The problem with World of Tanks is that Metal Gear Solid V is actually fun, unlike World of Tanks. The problem with Metal Gear Solid V is that it actually ends at some point, unlike World of Tanks.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

The problem with World of Tanks is that Metal Gear Solid V is actually fun, unlike World of Tanks. The problem with Metal Gear Solid V is that it actually ends at some point, unlike World of Tanks.

I dunno, Polka finished World of Tanks and got out before anything new showed up. God bless you Polka.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Missing Name posted:

The M4 is when the 105 stops being really useful, right? Or the Easy Eight?

Because I saw someone in a Pershing with it last night. He tried to circle a platoon of CDCs and died with 0 damage :psyduck:

That was my last match of the night. gently caress pubbies.

The 105 on the M4 is the preferred gun by every jerk that I happen to run across when I'm feeling pretty good in my T-34 or Bromwell and try to bully everybody. I think the short 105 mostly useless after that.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 18, 2015

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

So 5 cm or 3 cm on the Luchs for the shitler tournament? 5 cm has lovely silver pen, but the 3 cm has terrible DPM and can't burst another Luchs. I'm thinking probably a mix of both.

Also, any map tips for those of us who haven't played clam warts since French tanks became a thing and are probably going to have to call? Most of my tactics revolve around using pubbies as ablative armour.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 18, 2015

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Green Dam posted:

idgi

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

HAHAHA, nice team. Their abilities are like your Type 59: nonexistent.

Team 121 and 23 look like the ones to beat.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 18, 2015

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
My second game just now:

Should I just quit for the evening? Fuuuuuck.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass
Well Monty why do you think we lost that one? :cmon:

BTW
any one seen this M4 improved yet?

mikemelbrooks fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 19, 2015

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

mikemelbrooks posted:

Well Monty why do you think we lost that one? :cmon:

I'm going to guess it was his team's fault and he just gets bad teams.

mikemelbrooks posted:

BTW
any one seen this M4 improved yet?

Nice work Wargaming with your OP tanks just hack yourself an OPMobile why don't you.

Fronkey
Oct 20, 2008

M.C. McMic posted:

Should I just quit for the evening? Fuuuuuck.

I think it's my fault. My second game last night was a 3 kill 1700 damage Mastery Badge in my SU-122A.

I'm obviously stealing the fun and win % from you guys.

edit: I got my first Confederate badge too. I ruined the game for Red Tanks and loved it

Fronkey fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 19, 2015

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Hellsau posted:

Nice work Wargaming with your OP tanks just hack yourself an OPMobile why don't you.

Finally some acknowledgment of the glorious 75 mm Gun M3.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

How to drive the Luchs: a replay

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

If you want to play tier 4 tanks I hope you love playing Ruinberg. Holy poo poo the map rotation is super hosed.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Luckily, I have something to do tomorrow right when the tournament's happening. Good luck team! Win me some gold!

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
As the Captain of Agrajag's Type 59ers, I feel a strong sense of duty to drive my Luchs with the same reckless abandon Agrajag would drive his Type 59 with, assuming of course he had one.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I never tested it but it turns out the Berlin crews' BiA works with the BiA of regular crew members, unlike sisterhood of steel which doesn't.

I'm not sure I'll spend the gold to do it but it'd be better in the long run to split up the Berlin crews. Commanders and Drivers have the most useful skills where the loaders and radio operators, most of the time gunners too, can be filled in by any plebeian with two or three skills.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
I should have hung it up after my Radley-Walters loss. What a lovely night of tanks. gently caress pubbies forever.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

unlawfulsoup posted:

As the Captain of Agrajag's Type 59ers, I feel a strong sense of duty to drive my Luchs with the same reckless abandon Agrajag would drive his Type 59 with, assuming of course he had one.

If you want to do that I suggest driving a Pz38nA instead

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

The derp is kind of fun on the O-I but I think I'll be switching back to the 100mm. Lower DPM than the t5, sure, but it's a solid, reliable gun.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

James Garfield posted:

If you want to do that I suggest driving a Pz38nA instead

I will never EVER drive the Pz38NA again.

NEVER.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

unlawfulsoup posted:

I will never EVER drive the Pz38NA again.

NEVER.

Too bad Psykmoe is out, cause he actually did that and did very well.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Cardiac posted:

The 38na's gun is actually substantially better than the Luchs's 5CM for long range sniping. The chassis is much worse though, and the gun advantage really only comes into play when you need a tier 4 to supplement a tier 6 or tier 7 squad when WGA decides to force mixed tiers in a skirmish.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Cardiac posted:

Maybe it is fine now, but it was the whipping boy when I played it years ago and I will never stop hating that tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
The CDC, a fat scout.
I know I've had less than 100 battles in this thing, but I somehow feel like I can carry less than I can in my JT88. And boy loving howdy, is artillery ever so much in love with the CDC. Almost every time, without fail, they'll try to go for me with my currently atrocious stats instead of that purple E5 or something, just because you're guaranteed higher damage, if not an instakill IF you hit.