Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I dunno if the mass rape of nearly every German woman they could get a hold of between the ages of 8 and 80 can really be considered a well-deserved comeuppance. But I I'd prefer not to derail the thread by going down that road, if at all possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Honestly, it doesn't, really, not at all- you don't defeat evil with evil. But god-drat, it was hard to keep that sense of satisfaction down at the time.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Mind you, Soviet atrocities weren't limited to Germany... Or WW2.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Back on the subject of this game, I'm calling it now: King Otto as an undead monstrosity is the final boss.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Neruz posted:

Invading Russia is a terrible idea and unless you happen to be called Genghis Khan you are best advised not to do it.

Or Tamerlane.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Samovar posted:

Or Tamerlane.

How did Alexander do?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Cryohazard posted:

How did Alexander do?

He didn't.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013

Samovar posted:

Or Tamerlane.

As long as you invade it from the east, it seems to go relatively well.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So one of the things I really liked with The New Order was that it never made you just sit around to listen to audio records. You could just play them whenever you wanted to during a mission or in the menu. Metal Gear Solid V did the same thing, instead of saddling you with endless cutscenes like most of the games in the franchise, you could listen to the voice actors go over past events and such via cassette tapes played while selecting missions or developing weapons. So it's kind of weird that at the end of this video there is a super long "interview" featuring Helga and a guy who sees things in his dreams that she is interested in. I think it's sort of like in MGSV where you spend like an hour just getting introduced to the game; an anomaly that is completely forgivable due to the quality of everything else around it.

Not a ton else to say about this one, it is really a continuation of the last video in most ways. Next video we get some major story points and one of my favorite scenes that prove BJ is just a gussied up Arnold Schwarzenegger.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
And I had just made screenshots of that part, and now I'm away from my "gaming" laptop, darn.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
I had no idea those secret rooms existed! I think by this point I had entered the 'murder all Nazis' fugue state and didn't notice the upside-down book, and I was definitely too busy in the library. Coincidentally, these stealth areas were much more difficult in the 'moving firefight' way. Again, though, a ton of fun that way. The combat is just so satisfying, and the entire game is littered with so much ammo that you're never really at risk of running out.

Also, in case anyone hasn't figured it out from the ambiguous wording, the "pipe head explosions" challenge is to use the put-together pipe to hit Nazis in the head. Head explosions by pipe, rather than explosions of some sort of environmental hazard called the 'head' of a pipe, as I first thought.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Oh you silly Nazis, thinking this is going to end in some way other than lots and lots of dead Nazis. And that's before BJ is taken into account.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
To be fair at this point in the timeline they have no idea that BJ needs to be taken into account.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neruz posted:

To be fair at this point in the timeline they have no idea that BJ needs to be taken into account.

Quite true, but even without BJ it should be blatantly obvious to everyone that digging up what's under this town is only going to end one way, and that way is not to the Reich's benefit.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Nazis of course being well known for making good and sensible decisions with regards to digging up ancient evils and dark magic. :v:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Neruz posted:

Nazis of course being well known for making good and sensible decisions with regards to digging up ancient evils and dark magic. :v:

We talking about real or fictional Nazis here? :v:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Yes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think the 'pounding Helga's love of wine' in bit is a subtle way of pointing out she's actually an alcoholic.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The pro strat for getting helmets is dragging fights out and allowing enemies to damage you, so you can pick up every single helmet you come across. If you did that you'd have the armor perk by now. Okay, it might also make you look a bit incompetent in the videos, but that's a small price to pay for perks. You could also have gotten all the health perks way early, in the room with the Skyrim helmet. Not that you seem to actually need them, but BJ isn't really truly himself without the ability to win a headbutting contest against a castle.

Night10194 posted:

I think the 'pounding Helga's love of wine' in bit is a subtle way of pointing out she's actually an alcoholic.
Being a noble precludes alcoholism, just like being rich means you can only be eccentric, not crazy.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Neruz posted:

Nah earlier on BJ says he's seen the Supersoldiers in the X-Labs before so RTCW happened in some form at least.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Nah earlier on BJ says he's seen the Supersoldiers in the X-Labs before so RTCW happened in some form at least.

The New Order also noted that Deathshead's change of characterization came from his nearly fatal encounter with BJ. So close a brush with death made Deathshead realize that life was too short and precious to be spent cold and unhappy, so carpe diem and enjoy all life has to offer.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Neruz posted:

I think this game represents the point in the Wolfenstein timeline where the Nazis decide that this supernatural stuff is more trouble than it's worth and go pure stolen Jewish technomagic.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Anime Reference posted:

I think this game represents the point in the Wolfenstein timeline where the Nazis decide that this supernatural stuff is more trouble than it's worth and go pure stolen Jewish technomagic.

And really it's not hard to understand why they made that decision.

The hard part is understanding why it took so long in the first place.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Neruz posted:

And really it's not hard to understand why they made that decision.

The hard part is understanding why it took so long in the first place.

Did the last page of 'Nazis are absolutely incredibly stupid' go unnoticed or...?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Is a Shakespearean theme going to present throughout the game? 'Cause I could see Helga going out the 'George Plantagenet' way.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Anime Reference posted:

It also helps that BJ has pretty much brutally murdered or severely incapacitated the Nazi commanders who delve into the supernatural by this point, leaving Deathshead (and his lieutenants, Helga aside) as the only commander around with the strength to push his tech-based agenda on the rest of the regime.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

AradoBalanga posted:

It also helps that BJ has pretty much brutally murdered or severely incapacitated the Nazi commanders who delve into the supernatural by this point, leaving Deathshead (and his lieutenants, Helga aside) as the only commander around with the strength to push his tech-based agenda on the rest of the regime.

This is actually the canon explanation.

The SS Paranormal Division's status is almost entirely 'Murdered to death by BJ.' at this point.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Night10194 posted:

The SS Paranormal Division's status is almost entirely 'Murdered to death by BJ.' at this point.
And Helga, as well as Rudi and Greta for that matter, are all that remain before the status changes to "100% extinct".

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Samovar posted:

Is a Shakespearean theme going to present throughout the game? 'Cause I could see Helga going out the 'George Plantagenet' way.

Nope, it's just that one room where it comes up.

Neruz posted:

I feel like if the New Order took place around Christmas you would hear Nazi mothers telling their children if they continue to be bad Krampus would come and murder their entire family and most of their friends with a rusted pipe.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Night10194 posted:

Actually its more of a case of "murdered to death by resurrected Teutonic mage king with a severe hangover." :laugh:

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Klaus88 posted:

Actually its more of a case of "murdered to death by resurrected Teutonic mage king with a severe hangover." :laugh:

Now now, King Heinrich only zombified Marianna. BJ actually killed her.

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008
I hate to say it, but you said something I have to disagree with in the second video. The Old Blood has exactly the same number of letters at The New Order.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Rudy wipes with money! Possibly counterfeit money, since the only 20 mark notes I found have a lady on them.

Helga uses TP and read secure Wolfenstein documentation.

By the way, the 1928 Bordeaux she was writing about is a great wine, but maybe not as good as 1929 and might have been undrinkable in 1946

Yeah, I tried looking if that was actual WWII German food packaging.

Actually, the grenade is about 600 grams, and the helmet is between 800 and more.

And yeah, Allies would have been much more successful with their black magic research, since they wouldn't have BJ zeroing in on them to stab everyone dead.

So, by by our reckoning, both RCTW and Wolfenstein happened, so what's the canon status of robo hitler at this point?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The Allies would have been more successful with their black magic research in the sense that after getting some initial results they would probably realize that there is no way it will end well and just stopping right there. No matter how many possibilities it seems to offer the only reality you ever actually get is horror and death and often some hideous dark god clawing its way up out from the depths of nightmare.

Then again the Allies did also get up to their own brand of shenanigans with supernatural powers :v:

Actually you know that's something; it's always the Nazis digging up ancient magic\Jewish god-technology and waving it about. Why don't the Allies ever plunder some ancient lore and start deploying battlefield psychics.

JcDent posted:

So, by by our reckoning, both RCTW and Wolfenstein happened, so what's the canon status of robo hitler at this point?

I believe we must assume that Robo-Hitler did indeed happen and that BJ ended him.

Presumably we can thank Deathshead for Robo-Hitler.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Neruz posted:

I believe we must assume that Robo-Hitler did indeed happen and that BJ ended him.

Presumably we can thank Deathshead for Robo-Hitler.

But what about the article mentioning Furer? It is AH's headless body going around, making claims?

Well, the way stories go, any Allied supernatural efforts would be carried out by heroic Indiana Jones types and the only casualties would be some unlucky local carriers and stuff.

I like to imagine BJ as some sort satellite deployed weapon with a passive radar that's set on two bands: Nazi Super Science and Nazi Paranormal Activity.

When either of those exceeds their threshold, BJ wakes up, his open eyes the only white dots in the darkness of the sattelite.

Then he plunges to Earth and kills till NSS/NPA levels are returned to normal.

He's like an Allied Tarrasque that way.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
They probably just cloned him. Hell do they actually mention that the Fuhrer is Hitler? It's possible that is just the title of the leader of the Reich.

If it is supposed to be Hitler then cloning and\or dark magic would be my best guess :shrug:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Neruz posted:

The Allies would have been more successful with their black magic research in the sense that after getting some initial results they would probably realize that there is no way it will end well and just stopping right there. No matter how many possibilities it seems to offer the only reality you ever actually get is horror and death and often some hideous dark god clawing its way up out from the depths of nightmare.

Then again the Allies did also get up to their own brand of shenanigans with supernatural powers :v:

Actually you know that's something; it's always the Nazis digging up ancient magic\Jewish god-technology and waving it about. Why don't the Allies ever plunder some ancient lore and start deploying battlefield psychics.
Wolfenstein: Invisible Empire - Nazi super-science vs. Klan magic. (The magic of course being stolen Catholic/African magic)

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Wolfenstein: Invisible Empire - Nazi super-science vs. Klan magic. (The magic of course being stolen Catholic/African magic)

Better idea!

Nazi Super Science/Pseudo-Norse Mysticism vs British/Celtic Mythology, American Science, and the Mysticism of Africa and MesoAmerica!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

berryjon posted:

Better idea!

Nazi Super Science/Pseudo-Norse Mysticism vs British/Celtic Mythology, American Science, and the Mysticism of Africa and MesoAmerica!

I'm still hoping for a Wolfenstein that goes full circle with the Nazi craziness and has Castle Wolfenstein be the center of portals leading to other dimensions where the Nazis use different means to achieve victory/and/or find their total defeat because of said thing..

You can have your occult magic dimension, Jewish super science realms, but then you also have the realm where the Nazi's allied with space aliens, or another where the terra cotta army comes to life and becomes an army of automatons that helps the third Reich. Really just take Nazis/ and/or crazy Japanese compartmentalized departments and have them do X. Instant alternate dimension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Dozens of different Hitlers all standing around a table shouting at each other as they attempt to co-ordinate a pan-dimensional assault across the multiverse :v:

• Locked thread