Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
I don't see the upside of losing transfer fees for football at all. If the argument is that they're against some EU laws, fine, I don't care about that.

I'm just a honest man who cares about football. Like Sepp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
I just think that Chelsea being able to play an eight team round robin with their squad is wrong and bad for football.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Total Meatlove posted:

I just think that Chelsea being able to play an eight team round robin with their squad is wrong and bad for football.

Why?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
chelsea is bad for football, I agree

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

jyrka posted:

I imagine they would go bust. Here's an interview with their chairman about their finances: http://www.crewechronicle.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/crewe-alex-chairman-calm-despite-5602784

a business executive claiming that the world will end if they had to follow a labor protection? well i never :eyepop:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Because the loan system was never created with the intention of allowing clubs like Chelsea to collect 60+ senior players and send half of them out for the season.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

jyrka posted:

This would kill football.

I am 100% behind this

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
The problem isn't neccessarily that the suggested rules are completely bad. Its that the entire football ecomony is based on transfer fees existing so the transition to the new rules would be an utter disaster without all the rich clubs / leagues subsidising the income of poor clubs until the changes fully propagate.

The vast majority of lower league clubs operate on such a delicate balance of finances that any change can completely gently caress them over, look at the ITV digital collapse, it led to about 20 clubs entering administration and about double that coming close, even relatively well run clubs like Norwich.

Also who's going to run a youth academy in a world without transfer fees?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Blue Star Error posted:

The problem isn't neccessarily that the suggested rules are completely bad. Its that the entire football ecomony is based on transfer fees existing so the transition to the new rules would be an utter disaster without all the rich clubs / leagues subsidising the income of poor clubs until the changes fully propagate.

The vast majority of lower league clubs operate on such a delicate balance of finances that any change can completely gently caress them over, look at the ITV digital collapse, it led to about 20 clubs entering administration and about double that coming close, even relatively well run clubs like Norwich.

Celtic

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
lol

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Norwich just could have a bake sale

ronniegardocki
Apr 14, 2012

by Lowtax

lmao

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
noncesense

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Because the loan system was never created with the intention of allowing clubs like Chelsea to collect 60+ senior players and send half of them out for the season.

I agree that it's not the point of it but what realistic harm is it causing? Other than looking awkward on a wikipedia page. The players get a significant raise and their previous teams get a transfer fee plus future fees based on sell-on clauses.

I don't like the hoarding aspect of it either but why is it bad?

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Blue Star Error posted:

So the current system is completely unstable without having special rules so workers receive less protection than they should have and human trafficking from poorer nations? Sounds like its time to burn it all to the ground.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Charlie Mopps posted:

workers receive less protection than they should have

How so?

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

English lower league clubs are complicit in human trafficking from such far away countries as Scotland and Wales.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

There should be much stricter enforcement of academy catchment area rules. None of this get parents a fake job stuff.

But on the other hand the kids will get a much better footballing education and fulfil more of their potential than they would in Africa and Eastern Europe. Premier League academies are full of foreigners.

It's a complicated issue.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

jyrka posted:

How so?

If i sign a fixed-term contract but decide i want to move to another employer, under Dutch law i have to pay the remaining months left on the contract in salary to my employer. If a footballer tries this he gets suspended due to Fifa rules and has to pay 'market value' to the club, which can be millions. So Fifa prohibits the right of movement for employers.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Football is different from other jobs.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

jyrka posted:

Football is different from other jobs.

so is picking cotton

e: also, you are obviously a labor lawyer, yes? explain to us the worldwide law that carves out fewer labor protections for professional athletes of your pet sport

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 19, 2015

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

I'm a labour lawyer and he's right both legally and morally

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

well that settles that

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

There is a 0% chance the Union actually abolishes transfer fees. Start negotiations by asking for everything and so they can end up with an increase for the veteran minimum

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

well that settles that

How do you feel about other jobs with similar notoriously small labour pools that include non compete clauses in their contracts that prevent employees from moving to rival organisations?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

serious gaylord posted:

How do you feel about other jobs with similar notoriously small labour pools that include non compete clauses in their contracts that prevent employees from moving to rival organisations?

You're talking about Wall Street CEO's now?

JunkDeluxe
Oct 21, 2008

Lladre posted:

You're talking about Wall Street CEO's now?

We are talking about how evil Blatter is, and how we all hope he will fall off a stage and die this time.
Everyone with the transfer-legal-mumbo-jumbo should gtfo and look towards the finance thread IMO.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

yes the contracts for top international business executives and like, really specialized senior professionals are completely the same. ibm has a stable of hundreds of senior computer engineers that they loan out to rivals just like manchester's sports man rental store. and small town businesses hire promising new business school graduates from poor countries in the hope of flipping them to top global companies for cash lmao

and despite the fact that your moronically-framed question is incredibly offensive to anyone who cares about the rights of people who work for a living, i will answer your question: non-compete clauses in general are garbage because they heavily infringe on what i think any decent person would consider the basic human right to work. the fact that they are legal to various extents in many places does not somehow prove their validity, nor does your apologism for the divine right of capital to do what thou wilt

ronniegardocki
Apr 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yes the contracts for top international business executives and like, really specialized senior professionals are completely the same. ibm has a stable of hundreds of senior computer engineers that they loan out to rivals just like manchester's sports man rental store. and small town businesses hire promising new business school graduates from poor countries in the hope of flipping them to top global companies for cash lmao

and despite the fact that your moronically-framed question is incredibly offensive to anyone who cares about the rights of people who work for a living, i will answer your question: non-compete clauses in general are garbage because they heavily infringe on what i think any decent person would consider the basic human right to work. the fact that they are legal to various extents in many places does not somehow prove their validity, nor does your apologism for the divine right of capital to do what thou wilt

what is this gayness?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Despite this incredibly condescending tone, aren't recruiting companies doing that exact thing? I'm not saying it's right, but it certainly happens.

Anyway, let's make sure we don't stray completely in to labor politics here and keep this about football. In fact, this probably should go in the finances thread, or maybe a new a new thread for contracts and stuff. Could be interesting if someone wants to make it.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Lutha Mahtin posted:

and despite the fact that your moronically-framed question is incredibly offensive to anyone who cares about the rights of people who work for a living

We're talking about footballers keep up

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Marching for Messi's right to avoid more taxes, pls join me.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jack Warner set to be extradited to the US.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/sep/21/jack-warner-fifa-extradition-us-step-closer

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Jack Warner is going to snitch on everyone, I'm licking my lips over here.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 21, 2015

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
This is gonna be awesome.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
It'll be entertaining but not much use against other defendants. He's a completely untrustworthy witness that a jury will have a hard time believing.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Without Sepp this is all a nothingburger

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Take this poo poo to the football finances thread

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
E: not sure why I was missing the last couple of posts

Sneaks McDevious fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 22, 2015