Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

So there is a fifth, then. For some reason the Nook shop doesn't sell them anymore even though they show up in my library. What's the new one like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Thunderfinger posted:

So there is a fifth, then. For some reason the Nook shop doesn't sell them anymore even though they show up in my library. What's the new one like?

Ah, actually, yeah- I had to email him and ask about that, his books jumped to Amazon only for now. Something about legal negotiations/contract stuff/B&N being dicks. He said that, for now, it'll be Amazon only for the foreseeable future.

As for the 5th book, here's a linkinstead of a description just in case people don't wanna see any sort of spoilers as to where the series goes: http://www.amazon.com/Killing-Floor-Blues-Daniel-Faust-ebook/dp/B01358M5XS

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

OmniBeer posted:

Ah, actually, yeah- I had to email him and ask about that, his books jumped to Amazon only for now. Something about legal negotiations/contract stuff/B&N being dicks. He said that, for now, it'll be Amazon only for the foreseeable future.

As for the 5th book, here's a linkinstead of a description just in case people don't wanna see any sort of spoilers as to where the series goes: http://www.amazon.com/Killing-Floor-Blues-Daniel-Faust-ebook/dp/B01358M5XS

Aw poo poo, that sound really cool now I'm kinda mad that this has happened, I hope whatever issues are resolved soon.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Khizan posted:

The way people talk about Marsters in this thread I sometimes I think that I'm the last person left who actually reads these books, as opposed to listening to them.
Nahh. Tried audiobook with free audible trial and straight back to 100% reader. It felt less imaginative (not good for gym) and, even worse, it was 2-3x slower than reading (not good for home). It's mostly good for slow readers or maybe programmers who hate their job and have lovely booktaste so it doesn't matter if you listen or read, and I guess those groups are just overpresented here, pretty much everyone I know in real life (this isn't massive number of people, but still)just reads.

mallamp fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Sep 18, 2015

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

mallamp posted:

Nahh. Tried audiobook with free audible trial and straight back to 100% reader. It felt less imaginative (not good for gym) and, even worse, it was 2-3x slower than reading (not good for home). It's mostly good for slow readers or maybe programmers who hate their job and have lovely booktaste so it doesn't matter if you listen or read, and I guess those groups are just overpresented here, pretty much everyone I know in real life (this isn't massive number of people, but still)just reads.

On average, I spend over two hours a day in my car. I've found the audio is much easier to do while driving than reading the actual book.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Russad posted:

On average, I spend over two hours a day in my car. I've found the audio is much easier to do while driving than reading the actual book.

This is basically why I have an Audible subscription as well.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Russad posted:

Get on my level and learn to read effectively while driving.

Nickaroni
Feb 16, 2014

SmokinDan posted:

Anyone else here checked out Craig Schaefer's Daniel Faust series? I burned through the five out, at the moment, and thought they were all really good. The first serial arc dragged a bit by the third book but the fourth and fifth changed settings for a bit and were a lot better for it.

I picked up the first one a couple months ago and ended up blazing through the series. First time in awhile I'd read most of an novel overnight.

I just can't help but love the fact that the female lead is a literal succubus and there's less gushing over how hot she is than a typical Harry Dresden conversation with a woman.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

The Slithery D posted:

Get on my level and learn to read effectively while driving.

I saw a woman painting her toenails while driving last week. I should be able read.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
These days I seem to do most of my reading on the train on the way into and the way home from work, of all places.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
Marsters is really a phenomenal Dresden. Is anyone else here as sad as I am that he's pretty much too old to play the part if ever they'd get movies rolling?

mallamp posted:

Wow, you are incredibly skilled at being condescending about things you don't like! I'm glad we all have a place in the world.

Since we're making broad generalizations purely based on personal anecdotes, everyone I know loves the audio books, and they're all professionals in a variety of fields from materials science to programming to vehicle safety systems. Clearly my view is the one true way. :rolleyes:

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 18, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mallamp posted:

even worse, it was 2-3x slower than reading (not good for home).

Are you seriously trying to speedrun a novel?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I read faster than an audiobook but I walk a lot and having an audiobook is more enjoyable and less likely to get me hit by a car than trying to read while going for a walk.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Seriously, I'm 100% a reader but dude's :smug: is just :psyduck:

There are plenty of good reasons to go audio, as have been pointed out.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
I work 10-11 hours a day as a machinist and audiobooks are the only thing that keep me sane. Sure, I can read a hell of a lot faster but I can't do much else while doing it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

mallamp posted:

I read on my Kindle, partially because when my wife and I are sitting on the couch reading, it's kind of weird for me to listening to an audio book, just staring off at the powered off TV.

Doesn't mean I have to super smug about it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I can't do audiobooks because I just can't focus on listening to a story while I'm doing something else. I either pay full attention to the story and ignore what I'm supposed to be doing or I tune the story out entirely.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Khizan posted:

I can't do audiobooks because I just can't focus on listening to a story while I'm doing something else. I either pay full attention to the story and ignore what I'm supposed to be doing or I tune the story out entirely.

In that case I definitely don't suggest to listen while driving.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I listen to audiobooks while I travel to and from work because I have nearly died from reading a book while walking by a road and also it makes me feel like I'm losing less of my precious street cred than listening to podcasts.

It's like a really slow song with better than average lyrics.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Khizan posted:

Yeah, I'm the opposite here myself. I find it really easy to have an audiobook in the background. I don't do it for dense stuff but Dresden ain't exactly dense full-brain reading material.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Wow this is a really interesting derail. Someone record it as an audiobook so I can listen to it on the way to work Monday.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

Wow this is a really interesting derail. Someone record it as an audiobook so I can listen to it on the way to work Monday.

Sorry, let's go back to more interesting subjects that are more on-topic.

The random cat person in that picture of Butcher's new book's reading club: Worst Thing Ever or Merely Terrible.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I'm gonna go with Merely Terrible, cause I'd rather see the cat person than put spikes through my eyelids. Always a pretty good litmus test

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Magres posted:

I'm gonna go with Merely Terrible, cause I'd rather see the cat person than put spikes through my eyelids. Always a pretty good litmus test

drat, there goes your chance at steel inquisitor cosplay.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Maybe the prevalence of audio book listeners explain the prevalence of posters in book forums who have seemingly never actually read the books, it their posting is any indication.

^ :golfclap:

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

You should be more careful jerking off about how reading the books is so much better than audio, you'll get the pages sticky

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I listen to most my books these days, due to my commute. I think Dresden has worked really well with the format. The first time through Dresden I listened at 2x speed and the second time was at 3x speed. It really gives it a great sense of urgency, at least to me. I need to try eye-reading them sometime though, just to see if there's a different feel.

Lol at the idea that using your eyes to read is somehow classier/more intelligent than using your ears to read.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Pff, what plebs read on paper? E-readers yo. Just wipe that jizz right off.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
Plus a kindle balances perfectly on my steering wheel.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

The Slithery D posted:

Plus a kindle balances perfectly on my steering wheel.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if there was a car stand for Kindle on Amazon (free one day shipping with AMAZON PRIME!)

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Rygar201 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if there was a car stand for Kindle on Amazon (free one day shipping with AMAZON PRIME!)

http://www.amazon.com/AutoExec-Wheelmate-Steering-Attachable-Surface/dp/B00E1D1GY6

The customer reviews and images are the best.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Has anyone read Myke Cole's books? He was on a panel with Jim at DragonCon and was just absolutely hilarious (in fact, he was more entertaining than Jim, something I've never seen happen), and I'm curious if I should check out his work.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I thought his debut novel (first in a trilogy) wasn't up to par, but he does seem like a really cool dude, so I've been meaning to give his new stand-alone a try.

He and Sam Sykes do have an amusing double act thing going on Twitter, though.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 19, 2015

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I read first book a while ago, and enjoyed it. Thought it was an entertaining to blend the military in to the UF trappings.

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011

SmokinDan posted:

Anyone else here checked out Craig Schaefer's Daniel Faust series? I burned through the five out, at the moment, and thought they were all really good. The first serial arc dragged a bit by the third book but the fourth and fifth changed settings for a bit and were a lot better for it.

I've only read the first but I really enjoyed it - the second's on my list after I rip through the Rivers of London books.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Ornamented Death posted:

Has anyone read Myke Cole's books? He was on a panel with Jim at DragonCon and was just absolutely hilarious (in fact, he was more entertaining than Jim, something I've never seen happen), and I'm curious if I should check out his work.

Myke is worth reading for being MilFic written by a military guy that's not all "Evil Liberals" and "Muslims are evil."

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Ornamented Death posted:

Entertaining but unexceptional military urban fantasy. His magic system is trying to be Sandersonesque and not really succeeding very well.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I finished reading all of the Dresden Files books in a two part binge.

I'm not sure what to do with my life now that I'm done.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

navyjack posted:

Myke is worth reading for being MilFic written by a military guy that's not all "Evil Liberals" and "Muslims are evil."

I couldn't figure out why all the military stuff was so bad until I realized he was in the Coast Guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

quote:

Q: What's the average number of fatalties per user? Just an estimate is fine.
A: For every user, there is least one death apporximately. Mitchel Hamilton answered on January 16, 2014