Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Grondoth posted:

I hope that MGP stuff is both genders. That's a cool [LOWER ROBE] if it's dyable.

All of the new MGP stuff, whomever it's available to, are basically validating my choice to give Machinist a fair shake for endgame content.

I'll either be a sophisticated debonair victorianesque sharpshooter, or I will bring the magic of Blaxploitation to Eorzea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Oh man I want to be excited but this seems like it could cause so many problems. Everyone's going to be fighting over gold chests for one, and while I like randomized glamours I do not like randomized stats. Like pieces of armor could have any stats? Or will there be set patterns? If it's literally random, like +6 Piety and +126 Skill Speed on the same piece, that will be a fun grind for the hardcore but infuriating for most. I hated it in Monster Hunter, at least. But I'll of course hold off judgment til we know more.
I assume it's going to be exactly as random as existing aetherial equipment. So Vit (if leftside) + Main Stat + two randomly chosen secondaries. (That are relevant to the type of gear so you don't get spell speed or piety on tank gear.)

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Newbie idiot hellfucker in my FC needs to take a cup of cement

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

idk i think a break until 3.2 might be in order since Lords of Verminion doesnt quite look like my jam :\ I don't know if I can handle a year of the exact same progression system when the content isnt as interesting as coil/crystal tower and an exdr with only two dungeons (lmao i cant believe they cut out a third of the bulk of peoples daily content)

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Sep 19, 2015

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ignimbrite posted:

GMs, come quick, this guy was playing the game!!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Rei_ posted:

idk i think a break until 3.2 might be in order since Lords of Verminion doesnt quite look like my jam :\ I don't know if I can handle a year of the exact same progression system when the content isnt as interesting as coil/crystal tower and an exdr with only two dungeons (lmao i cant believe they cut out a third of the bulk of peoples daily content)

Void ark is still coming in 3.1 right? A single dungeon for an alternate progress system + pet battles is a pretty good trade for a single 4 man dungeon.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

kirbysuperstar posted:

GMs, come quick, this guy was playing the game!!

about 3 people asides me basically told him this for about 10 minutes before he went "nope my mind made up looks like 4 new spots on my blist :)"

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

And he's still in the FC?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah, if you own the guild or have kicking rights you should just kick the little poo poo. I doubt he's much fun to play with

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I don't have kick rights and the person with them isn't on atm but as soon as they are on I'm getting the little poo poo kicked and going to talk to her about having a few trusted people given kick privelages so we don't have to rely on her to do that

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Void ark is still coming in 3.1 right? A single dungeon for an alternate progress system + pet battles is a pretty good trade for a single 4 man dungeon.

Yeah..as much as I loathe a two-dungeon roulette, 3.1 seems pretty drat hefty as is. I just hope I don't hate either of the two new dungeons as much as I do Neverreap.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Is the hate with Neverreap just how unstatistically likely it is to get it in DREx, or something about the dungeon itself? I have liked it as a late comer since it isn't too hard to tank, but I don't know if that just translates to boring to other people. I've on done the other dungeon once when I unlocked it and have never had it pop up in DREx.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I heavily disagree but then dungeons are my favorite content. I would much rather have given up literally any other common patch feature than a 3rd expert.

Klungar posted:

Is the hate with Neverreap just how unstatistically likely it is to get it in DREx, or something about the dungeon itself? I have liked it as a late comer since it isn't too hard to tank, but I don't know if that just translates to boring to other people. I've on done the other dungeon once when I unlocked it and have never had it pop up in DREx.

It's got some tedious bits to it that are aggravating. Having to stop to use some thing to open a path to move on. The Sordes enemies that are the bane of all melees slows down any run with a melee dps. All 3 of the bosses have mechanic-based down time that just prolongs fights. Also, anyone who poopsocked week 1 of HW and did the place when the average ilvl was 155 will remember the last boss as that fucker that took 10 minutes to kill because he is a giant sac of hp and also just toodles around the platform for laughs plus spawns an add you need to kill and tornados you gotta dodge and it all just added up to a long rear end boss fight. Plus a lot of people were still trying to figure out how to integrate hw abilities. It's not so bad now that the average ilvl is probably around 180 and a lot of people have gotten used to their new skills but drat.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 19, 2015

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Klungar posted:

For a long time it did seem to come up significantly more than Fractal, but since the last server maintenance Fractal's been popping up about as much as well. A lot of the hate for Neverreap also comes from the god-for-loving-saken twisters in the last boss, especially for casters.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Well guess what? You don't have to do it. Lucky for you, there are multiple paths for acquiring loot.

Guess what? If the rng gods blessing me and giving me good random stats is better then raid loot then that is dumb. And being that the loot is ilv210 it's looking like it will go that way.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ignimbrite posted:

You should report him for having an antisemitic name. Seriously, they don't wordfilter that? Even with the apostrophe?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Holyshoot posted:

Guess what? If the rng gods blessing me and giving me good random stats is better then raid loot then that is dumb. And being that the loot is ilv210 it's looking like it will go that way.

Odd patches are always catchup patches that give alternate pathways to top-ilvl gear, this has how it's been since 2.1

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

DACK FAYDEN posted:

You should report him for having an antisemitic name. Seriously, they don't wordfilter that? Even with the apostrophe?

Yeah, I just did that.

e: Looks like they don't really care :(

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 19, 2015

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I feel it unlikely that a slur is intended there, unless the last name is some. Antisemitic thing I have not heard of

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I feel it unlikely that a slur is intended there, unless the last name is some. Antisemitic thing I have not heard of

quote:

wow, i read all those and they are very interesting. mine isnt as elaborate. i already knew what character and class i was going to be before i played the game. so knowing that i was going to be a female miqo'te i needed to come up with something feline-ish. i actually googled female miqo'te names just to see what was offered, tho i knew i wanted to make an original name. originally i was going to go with felibelle and split it as feli for first name and belle for last. felibelle is french for cheetara, yes, thundercat cheetara :) (i named one of my retainers felibelle). the name i chose i got from a mother cheetah on the NatGeo Wild program Big Cat Diary. her name was Kike, which is an african name. it is pronounced keekay. once i knew that was the name i was going with i had a hard time coming up with a last name, it took me several days. i was at one point going to choose a miqo'te last name, and funny thing about that i actually noticed an npc miqo'te with the same last name i was going to pick lol. so finally i decided on arena and added the L'. Arena is Sicilian. when the time came to enter the names when i made my character Square wouldnt allow kike, i had a feeling that would happen cuz "kike" is a jewish slur. so i ended up with k'ike, which in a way makes sense cuz my character is miqo'te and they use the apostrophe in their names, so in a way i was glad i couldnt enter it the original way, im surprised i didnt even think for myself to put the apostrophe lol. so even tho its got the apostrophe, it is still pronounced keekay. L'arena is pronounced la-ray-na. and thats my story on the name K'ike L'arena. as long as it took me for her name, it took me even longer to customize her face, it took me over an hour to make her as hot as she is :P

pews, internet detective

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Jesus christ I need to get this guy kicked asap

thanks, pews

peanks

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Pews posted:

pews, internet detective

:stonklol:

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
yo neeeerds, my static is looking for a dps sub this weekend for A2S learning/beating. a permanent spot is available if you don't suck and are a cool person. getting made fun of by seven other people is available otherwise.

interested peeps should check out our thread here for details and times http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27369

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I can't wait to kill crabs.

Seriously though, I'm excited, but November feels like a long way off.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

The Chairman posted:

Odd patches are always catchup patches that give alternate pathways to top-ilvl gear, this has how it's been since 2.1

Fair enough. I guess if you don't have Savage on farm by 3.1 you're "catching up".

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Haven't had many terrible DRs, figured I'd share.

DRK in AV wasn't using Grit and had no right side gear equipped. Healer raged and just sat down. Both of them just quit after that pull.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Pews posted:

Haven't had many terrible DRs, figured I'd share.

DRK in AV wasn't using Grit and had no right side gear equipped. Healer raged and just sat down. Both of them just quit after that pull.

He has DRK unlocked which means he had to have gotten through the entirely of 2.5. How could he possibly have thought that no accessories was a good idea? That boggles the mind.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
My AV story:

I leveled my AST to 50 in LLDR exclusively. I kept getting tamtams all the way through. I'm level 49, hit lldr, spawn in AV. I notice I have almost 30% less hp than the other guys when we hit the first boss, and healing feels kinda hard despite these guys being good players. Open my character window and sure enough, I'm in i29 gear.

I kept quiet and hoped they wouldn't notice until I finished the level and could put my ironworks and i115 weapon on. It went smoothly, but :cripes:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Pews posted:

pews, internet detective

Wow what a lot of work put into a boringass generic lovely name with a slur in it.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

So 3.1 has some gear catch-up bits, but it sounds like no savage changes until late 3.1 like they did for SCoB and FCoB?

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Boten Anna posted:

Wow what a lot of work put into a boringass generic lovely name with a slur in it.

literally google his name

e: anything on the first page of a google search result should really just common knowledge in 2015

e2: sorry think i misinterpreted what you meant, now I'm going to think that about every generic rear end anime name running around that it has some long backstory of someone spending hours finding the 'perfect' name

Pews fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 19, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I had no idea kike was even a slur so I had no idea what was going on there.

nuru posted:

So 3.1 has some gear catch-up bits, but it sounds like no savage changes until late 3.1 like they did for SCoB and FCoB?

Why would they be changing savage? I don't think they changed savage SCoB?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Boten Anna posted:

I was going to play devil's advocate by going "Kike's a slur?" or something but lol

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Truga posted:

Why would they be changing savage? I don't think they changed savage SCoB?

I would love them not to, but I figure it's probably inevitable. Before, people could say, "Hey, nerf it so I can see the story!", and now it's going to just end up being generic, "Hey, nerf it so I can play that content!".

nuru fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 19, 2015

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So, people are already bitching about 3.1 in November. http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/262897-November-really

Where did this "3.0 is just a reskinned 2.0" mentality come from? What were people expecting, a whole new game with totally different mechanics?

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Gamers are entitled shitheads

The sky is also blue

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Not that I want to bring up this chat again but did the livestream mention anything about buffing PLD?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Pews posted:

e2: sorry think i misinterpreted what you meant, now I'm going to think that about every generic rear end anime name running around that it has some long backstory of someone spending hours finding the 'perfect' name

Yeah exactly. There's a staggering amount of effort into bad writing that goes into a lot of the generic lovely names you see all around.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Verranicus posted:

So, people are already bitching about 3.1 in November. http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/262897-November-really

Where did this "3.0 is just a reskinned 2.0" mentality come from? What were people expecting, a whole new game with totally different mechanics?

5 Months before the 24 man raid seems a bit long. How long was 2.0 launch to LOTA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Verranicus posted:

I think what a lot of people were expecting was something more along the lines of FFXI where each expansion (for the most part) attempted to introduce some kind of new battle system or progression mechanic. I think the team's looking to try expanding the progression mechanics (Exploratory Missions are reminding a people a lot of Dynamis, although I never did it myself), but the fact that it wasn't packaged as a part of the expansion has raised peoples' hackles since there's a reasonably long wait inbetween compared to previous patches.

I believe that FFXIV is a lot of people's first exposure to an MMO, or their experience with MMOs largely begins and ends with FFXI. For people who have been playing WoW for way too loving long, the idea of a new expansion being "the same thing, more or less, with new bells and whistles" is expected. People were going apeshit over Wrath of the Lich King having such innovative content as "flying mounts" and "a new class" back in the day. It may also be that tastes have started to change with the popularity of games like League of Legends that, as I mentioned previously, can putter along just fine without so much as a new map for years and still generate immense player interest because of the variability of each match. You could play through Neverreap blindfolded at this point, but your ability to win a match in League blindfolded is much less likely. People are getting used to games where you can just log in and play a match that was different than the one you played yesterday versus a game where you log in and play through a dungeon that is exactly the same as yesterday. This isn't a bad thing, really, but it requires a lot more innovation on the part of PVE-focused developers to come up with something that produces the same sense of "every match is different" without the competitive element.

seiferguy posted:

Not that I want to bring up this chat again but did the livestream mention anything about buffing PLD?

The absolute most that's been said is in an older Famitsu article where they said they're looking at buffing tank enmity in a few places. Whether they'll change something is anyone's guess; there's been a lot of hooting and hollering about it since that time.

• Locked thread