Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Toshimo posted:

This scene always bothered me because the resolution to the God Butcher arc was supposed to be that everyone forgot it.

Magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

DarkCrawler posted:

One of them is actually smart, right? He just likes hanging out with his dumb friends?

Thunderball is on an intelligence par with Bruce Banner. Started committing crime to fund his research, got his powers from Wrecker, now he's kinda beholden to him.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

mind the walrus posted:

Makes as much sense as the rest.

You did not get the joke

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Toshimo posted:

This scene always bothered me because the resolution to the God Butcher arc was supposed to be that everyone forgot it.

I had that hangup too, but then I saw Thor spit his glass liver shards into an elf sorcerer king's face before punching him out with his lightning fists.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
That is a hard argument to counter, yes.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Anything that happens in Thor God of Thunder should be judged purely on how loving metal it is, not by how much sense it makes

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Badass Panels: Pretty much just Thor: God of Thunder

(this is not a complaint)

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I ended up buying two paper copies of Thor God of Thunder when I realized that not only was every lyric from Raining Blood a panel to the God Butcher story, it gets more metal than that later on.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
The problem with the God Butcher being in-continuity is that I then demand to know where they've been hiding :black101: ALL-BLACK THE NECROSWORD :rock: and why it doesn't have its own monthly title.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Toshimo posted:

The problem with the God Butcher being in-continuity is that I then demand to know where they've been hiding :black101: ALL-BLACK THE NECROSWORD :rock: and why it doesn't have its own monthly title.

Inside a sun, I think? Doesn't future Thor use it to kill Galactus?

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Not exactly. Thor hid it in a black hole because it was so powerful, pulled it out when he needed a power boost to kill Galactus, but because it was Galactus killing him didn't stick and he came back as Galactus the All-Black, Butcher of Worlds. :black101:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hoping that shows up in Secret Wars somehow.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

DarkCrawler posted:

One of them is actually smart, right? He just likes hanging out with his dumb friends?

Yeah, Thunderball is like Matt Damon from Good Will Hunting.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hoping that shows up in Secret Wars somehow.

Only makes sense that black panther is swinging it around somewhere

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The Question IRL posted:

Yeah, Thunderball is like Matt Damon from Good Will Hunting.

I always thought it'd suit Piledriver more to have that gimmick. The other 3 have their own gimmicks. Wrecker is the leader and has the crowbar, Bulldozer is Lil' Juggernaut, Thunderball has his ball and chain and...Piledriver has big hands :effort:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I always thought it'd suit Piledriver more to have that gimmick. The other 3 have their own gimmicks. Wrecker is the leader and has the crowbar, Bulldozer is Lil' Juggernaut, Thunderball has his ball and chain and...Piledriver has big hands :effort:

I'm just happy that there is a comic book group where the black guy is the smart one

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DarkCrawler posted:

I'm just happy that there is a comic book group where the black guy is the smart one

Monica Rambeau, Misty Knight, Steel, Mt. Terrific?

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

DarkCrawler posted:

Avengers v.3 78

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 20, 2015

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Toshimo posted:

Monica Rambeau, Misty Knight, Steel, Mt. Terrific?

Those are valid examples, although you'd be hardpressed to find a casual comic book fan who knew of any of them besides Steel.

And I think the fact that Thunderball is smart (but not falling into the "evil because they're so tortured by their intellect" trope) and still chooses to be a villain is a neat bit of characterization.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Back in the 90's, when he and the Crew lost their weapons. He was able to make himself a tech suit, that simulated his Thunder Ball powers.

I think he also upgraded Moon Knight's formerly dead, now a cyborg partner and the leader of the Secret Empire (who was also a secret cyborg).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well you know what they say about guys with big hands.

They've trouble getting good gloves.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Travis343 posted:

You did not get the joke

Yes I did, but don't let that stop the :smug:

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Those are valid examples, although you'd be hardpressed to find a casual comic book fan who knew of any of them besides Steel.

Even Steel is pretty much persona non grata these days. Sucks, but true. DC decided Cyborg was to take his place in the New 52 and never looked back.

quote:

And I think the fact that Thunderball is smart (but not falling into the "evil because they're so tortured by their intellect" trope) and still chooses to be a villain is a neat bit of characterization.

It is refreshing, which years of comics reading tells me to be terrified that it will be changed for arbitrary reasons into something stupid.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

mind the walrus posted:

It is refreshing, which years of comics reading tells me to be terrified that it will be changed for arbitrary reasons into something stupid.

It's been the case for at least thirty years. It's probably fine.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Wanderer posted:

It's been the case for at least thirty years. It's probably fine.

Bucky was dead, Nick Fury was white, Wolverine was a mutant, and Spider-man was married.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Suddenly, I'd buy the poo poo out of a Thunderball solo book like this.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SynthOrange posted:

Well you know what they say about guys with big hands.

They've trouble getting good gloves.

Yeah, high five!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Whose the kid and what happened to her?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The "kid" was actually the mother of those kids.
She dies, but because she was British and Brian Braddock had moved onto the king of the Outworld, he shows up and gives her the same choice he was given. The Sword or the Stone.
She choses the Sword and becomes the new Captain Britain.
She is later renamed to Lionheart, shows up in Claremounts Excalibre run (where she is being mind controlled. 'Natch.)

And after that was into obscurity.
As for why you never heard of this? This was the Avengers run just before Disassembled so she never got a proper run on Avengers.

And yes, those pages were written by Chuck Austin.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think that's not actually Thunderball - I think it's Mordred (Morgan le Fay's son) disguised as Thunderball. Something like that, anyway. It was hard to tell because the resolution of that plot was pretty rushed - Austen took up too much space on the subplot with Hawkeye shagging the Wasp and Hank Pym throwing up when he walks in on them.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

The Question IRL posted:

She is later renamed to Lionheart, shows up in Claremounts Excalibre run (where she is being mind controlled. 'Natch.)

Oh Chris :allears:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Cabbit posted:

Suddenly, I'd buy the poo poo out of a Thunderball solo book like this.

Seriously. It's just so refreshing to see any media that obviously respects intelligence rather than paints it as one of the 3 or 4 stereotypes hollywood broadly relies on.

Edit: Ha! I just noticed the thread title change! :cheers:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
True story: I saw those pages, and thought "Aww hell, it's time for another comic book villian to fall in love with someone and mind-control them into loving them back. Then I stopped, and thought "Maybe I should give them the benefit of the doubt, not every woman in a comic-book has to end up mind-controlled at some point.

A few hours later, and this post made me literally laugh out loud.

The Question IRL posted:

Never change, comic books. Never change. :nallears:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Toshimo posted:

Bucky was dead, Nick Fury was white, Wolverine was a mutant, and Spider-man was married.

Wolverine's not a mutant any more?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

prefect posted:

Wolverine's not a mutant any more?

He was briefly a wolf.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He's a paperweight.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Question IRL posted:

The "kid" was actually the mother of those kids.
She dies, but because she was British and Brian Braddock had moved onto the king of the Outworld, he shows up and gives her the same choice he was given. The Sword or the Stone.
She choses the Sword and becomes the new Captain Britain.

And after that was into obscurity.
As for why you never heard of this? This was the Avengers run just before Disassembled so she never got a proper run on Avengers.

And yes, those pages were written by Chuck Austin.

Also someone later decided that people who pick the sword are wrong and there's a whole corps of Lionhearts who are all assholes with swords.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

PicklePants posted:

I think he also upgraded Moon Knight's formerly dead, now a cyborg partner and the leader of the Secret Empire (who was also a secret cyborg).

Midnight (2).

It happened in an arc of AMS that also included Darkhawk, Punisher, and Night Thrasher (another "smart black guy").

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Endless Mike posted:

Also someone later decided that people who pick the sword are wrong and there's a whole corps of Lionhearts who are all assholes with swords.

That's so stupid. What the gently caress do you do with a stone?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

That's so stupid. What the gently caress do you do with a stone?

Throw it at Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's an amulet. The Amulet of Life. It is on a necklace, and so represents the female genitalia and the fertility rites and role of creator of the mother goddess. Unlike the Sword of Might, which is obviously a phallic symbol of the death and destruction embodied in the essential father god.

The Captain Britain corps is a tyranny of the matriarchy. Preach the controversy.