Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I mean we knew about that, I'm talking alllll of their stores.

e. Oh and they could put their whole website behind a paywall, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah I mean we knew about that, I'm talking alllll of their stores.

e. Oh and they could put their whole website behind a paywall, too.

Excuse me, I think you mean a THUNDERSTRENGTH BATTLETITHE.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
At this point, nothing would surprise me

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Renfield posted:

GW releasing a game with quality rules that has associated models that are reasonably priced?

jonnyman
Sep 6, 2013

Has anyone here actually looked at the 9th Age rules? Am I going to be mocked mercilessly for posting this? :ohdear:

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

I actually happened to have played a 9th Age game earlier today! The changes they've made are really interesting, and not in a way that makes it feel like a wholly different game. It's still Warhammer. The changes to deployment make it significantly more tactical, the changes to magic make casting more than just six-dicing every turn and hoping not to get sucked into the warp, and the changes to combat make just about every unit useful for something. There are no more (or at least fewer) entries in your army book that you just shouldn't ever take.

except for chaos spawn

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I remeber liking the 40K aesthetic so much I built and painted a 1000pt Blood Ravens army. I went to the store to play some games and was looked at with scorn for using the "video game marines" colors. The store guy just shrugged in agreement. Then a guy proceeded to stomp me with horrid Eldar mech list. I didn't go back to another store for months.

I can imagine somebody playing Total Warhammer and going into a GW all stoked to play Vampires or dorfs and finding sorry those don't exist would you like to play these faceless fat suits of armor?

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 19, 2015

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Renfield posted:

GW releases a ravening horde level army list book and a tight simple set of new rules. They offers 2 for 1 deals all month as well online and give lots of free stuff to FLGS including free clampack models to give away. Then they restart the outrider program and the golden demon.

Then you wake from the dream and the GW epoxy has combusted spontaneously and your house is full of fire and smoke.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

jonnyman posted:

Has anyone here actually looked at the 9th Age rules? Am I going to be mocked mercilessly for posting this? :ohdear:

Just cursory, but I liked what I've read so far!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

You know what the biggest waste of all is? If they had to do a Space Marine analogue all they had to do was gradually place more emphasis on the Empire's knightly orders. That could have been a neat expansion instead of... this.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Deino posted:

I actually happened to have played a 9th Age game earlier today! The changes they've made are really interesting, and not in a way that makes it feel like a wholly different game. It's still Warhammer. The changes to deployment make it significantly more tactical, the changes to magic make casting more than just six-dicing every turn and hoping not to get sucked into the warp, and the changes to combat make just about every unit useful for something. There are no more (or at least fewer) entries in your army book that you just shouldn't ever take.

except for chaos spawn

This is interesting to me. Please tell more.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Arbite posted:

You know what the biggest waste of all is? If they had to do a Space Marine analogue all they had to do was gradually place more emphasis on the Empire's knightly orders. That could have been a neat expansion instead of... this.
Remember the rumours about the AoS starter set? That's exactly what people expected them to do - 'fantasy marines' that looked like grail knights or roman centurions or something. Things fantasy players like, that would make sense.

My grog-est complaint about the sigmarines is that Solkan existed, a god of order and vengeance with an army of fanatics in golden angryface masks, who could've been a perfect pretext for inserting them into the old world. I guess expanding obscure, interesting parts of your lore lacks the :downs: satisfaction of just blasting the poo poo out of it.

The Horse in Tears
Nov 3, 2014
So Khorne now has Skullcrushers, Skullgrinders and Skullreapers. And Skulltaker. The setting might be vague but at least there's an intricate division of Skull-labour.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

The Horse in Tears posted:

So Khorne now has Skullcrushers, Skullgrinders and Skullreapers. And Skulltaker. The setting might be vague but at least there's an intricate division of Skull-labour.

:eng101:

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

The Horse in Tears posted:

Just looking at Khorne you can tell they have a very well organized society.

First: there is their armor. Making plate mail is difficult so it is clear most Khorne heros either are skilled metalsmiths or have retainers. They do have a lot of flash, that much ornamentation however is more indicative of a peaceful society where armor isnt put through the same level of stress as actual war. I am sure as they fight for their families and their countries longer against the Sky-marauder menace their armor will lose much of its flairs and skulls. This can be compared to older pictures of chaos warriors where decades of battle had necessitated the trimming down of their armor. I wouldn't be suprised if most of these khorne warriors up till now had only worn their armor in parades or on guard somewhere.

Two: an extensive retainer network like that would require organized divisions of labor. An army marches on its belly any good Skullchef will tell you. Millions of khorne blood warriors require millions more Grain Reapers and Bloodbread Feastforgers. The hordes, if medieval armies are an indication, probably have a huge group of camp followers ranging from Bloodthrall Squiremen to Nightlust Bloodmaidens.

Three: of the two factions, Khorne clearly is the only one who builds permenant cities. Sigmarines have the armor they were born in, Khorne warriors not only have plate, after finding a place of importance they built a very fancy and expensive castle on it. Sigmarines, comming as they do from marauding tribes, were very impressed by a building that big. Sigmarheim might just be a legend told to justify their rampages for all anyone knows.

In conclusion I hope this helps to illuminate the real state of Age of Sigmar. You can still play normal people.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
So the whole thing is a metaphor of nomadic hunter raiders vs organized agrarian societies, except instead of grain they harvest skulls?

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Doctor Borris posted:

Bloodbread Feastforgers

You are a king among men

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thank you, DB. Having a faction with a functioning economy and struggles within it is something I can relate to.

Also would play Campaign for North Araby as a logistics officer.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Thinking about how Chaos dudes do anything except stab people keeps me up at knight. They've got tentacles, their armor is melded with their flesh, can they drink ale? Are they able to take a dump or go to the theater on their off hours? I mean, drat!

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Doctor Borris posted:

Bloodbread Feastforgers

This is fantastic. 10/10 would read again

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Chill la Chill posted:

Thank you, DB. Having a faction with a functioning economy and struggles within it is something I can relate to.

The sad part is that I think GW have already worked out the economy for all the factions in AoS. It's the "my daddy* bought this armor for me" economy. Not coincidentally, that seems to be a good summary of how they expect their target audience to buy their minis too.

* Sigmar, Khorne, etc

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Did you guys forget that Khorne dudes basically murder the poo poo out of everyone and eat people? They also take jobs from honest stormcasts and fill our streets with crime and skulls.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Fsmhunk posted:

Did you guys forget that Khorne dudes basically murder the poo poo out of everyone and eat people? They also take jobs from honest stormcasts and fill our streets with crime and skulls.

Sigmar can say that, but even the most tertiary examination of underlying support structures to maintain such a huge horde for "eons" implies a very stable social system. Perhaps cannibalism does play a factor, maybe it is like the Aztecs, where diseases was limited and human lives were so abundant they could support extensive though bloody worship. Perhaps humans in AOS have just replaced worship of Sigmar with Khorne?

There must be legions of Skullgrinders and Bloodharvester Feastforgers to feed that many people. Perhaps Khorne marauders are like vikings and they are intense traders showing up in every one of the nine mortal realms. If a khorne Bloodgold Tradeaxe figuratively takes someone's skull in a multi year cowhide supply deal Khorne is also cool with that?

Doctor Borris fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 19, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Does Khorne's legions use a bartering system with the skulls, as in do they have inherent worth and use, or is it a commodity and Khorne decides to control inflation via the "mining" of the skull supply? I can't tell, since the skulls seem to be used for basic infrastructure like building materials and roads.

I don't think anyone can deny the society is advanced enough to be able to create large fortresses using organized labor.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chill la Chill posted:

Does Khorne's legions use a bartering system with the skulls, as in do they have inherent worth and use, or is it a commodity and Khorne decides to control inflation via the "mining" of the skull supply? I can't tell, since the skulls seem to be used for basic infrastructure like building materials and roads.

I don't think anyone can deny the society is advanced enough to be able to create large fortresses using organized labor.

Mining skullcoins? Does that mean Khorne is libertarian? Bloodayn Randskull.

Maybe they have a goldskull backed currency.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 19, 2015

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Bloodskulls can only go up uP UP!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

adamantium|wang posted:

Bloodskulls can only go up uP UP!

I really want to see a skull-based tulip crash, now.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
The real issue in modern Khornate society is if Khorne has ordained marriage to be one Blooddude and one Skullady, or if there should be a separation between religious marriage and legal marriage.

I for one don't think it's fair to force any Slaughterpriest to perform a ceremony they aren't comfortable with.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TKIY posted:

The real issue in modern Khornate society is if Khorne has ordained marriage to be one Blooddude and one Skullady, or if there should be a separation between religious marriage and legal marriage.

I for one don't think it's fair to force any Slaughterpriest to perform a ceremony they aren't comfortable with.

I imagine that Khorne society is fairly open about that stuff, what with Khorne not caring where it flows. Though the legality of marriage might be different... after all skulls are for the skull throne.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
No, no, it's about our place in nature and the universe. We are not the sole owners of our bodies, we just borrow them for a while until we die horribly and donate our skulls and bloods to Khorne.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Are abortions illegal because fetuses don't have fully formed skulls yet so when you kill them Khorne gets nothing?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Pregnancy is illegal because nothing must stop the blood from flowing.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

TKIY posted:

Pregnancy is illegal because nothing must stop the blood from flowing.

Khorn has got some long term sense. In his portfollio is (was?) military excellence and planning. A little less blood now for a lot of blood later and more units that could potentially produce even more units and even more blood and skulls. Its basic economics of the Bloodchurch here, though this is a question a lot of Skulltemple Bloodacolytes first ask so I can't fault you for it TKIY.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just be glad blood is gluten free. It is one of the reasons Slaanesh and Khorne don't get along.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
what about bloodborne disease, whose in charge of that?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Tiler Kiwi posted:

what about bloodborne disease, whose in charge of that?

From Software :v:

But really, that's pretty much nugle all the way.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

So Khorne is pro safe sex, as he'd not want Nurgle getting hold of all the Bloodbangers with HIV etc.
Having blood-condoms available means that Skull-Ladies would be able to participate more fully in Khornate life, as they'd not be tied to their fertility and constantly pregnant.
I wonder whether women can be Slaughterpriests?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Schmetterling posted:

I wonder whether women can be Slaughterpriests?

We'll never know. All who accept the blessings of Khorne transform into square-butted muscle dummies. Anyone who does well enough at Skullseminary to qualify as a Slaughterpriest is smooth as a Ken doll where it counts.

1994 Toyota Celica fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 20, 2015

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Actually that's pure Sigmar propaganda, all dicks are replaced by a big skull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Borris posted:

Khorn has got some long term sense. In his portfollio is (was?) military excellence and planning. A little less blood now for a lot of blood later and more units that could potentially produce even more units and even more blood and skulls. Its basic economics of the Bloodchurch here, though this is a question a lot of Skulltemple Bloodacolytes first ask so I can't fault you for it TKIY.

What if there is a Skull-Laffer Bloodcurve showing that the fewer skulls Khorne takes, the more skulls he will actually recieve? It's trickle-down Skull-onomics!

• Locked thread