Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Deedle posted:

From what I gather the congestion charge is a fee, not a tax, because taxes are levied to pay for things. The fee is levied to encourage people to not take the car.
It's basically a political technicality mixed with semantics, but the C-charge isn't a tax. If you don't pay it you're issued a fine, not a tax surcharge.

It's a toll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Mooseykins posted:

It's a toll.

we will probably have to go to war over it to figure this out.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

nitrogen posted:

we will probably have to go to war over it to figure this out.

Not a problem, i just hope that the collateral damage includes the destruction of the congestion charge system because it's loving bullshit. gently caress this city, gently caress the people who run it.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Foxtrot_13 posted:

The US doesn't pay because they say it's a tax. Transport for London (the people who operate the charge) as well as other countries say it's a toll that diplomats have to pay, much like how British diplomats pay road tolls in the US.

It's a tax, on the privilege of driving in London. Toll road fees (are supposed to) maintain the toll road and provide a route with reduced congestion, and there is almost always a way around the toll road to avoid the fee. The congestion tax in London covers all of the roads so it is unlikely that the tax is actually benefitting the road that you are using and the only way to avoid it is to not drive in London, which I will admit is probably easy thanks to London's mass transit.

In my opinion, a toll road is a voluntary fee that provides a higher level of service but the congestion tax seems more a gently caress you to people who work in London and need to drive a car. Is the tube always as fast as taking a car? What if your job requires you to transport bulky items?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Crotch Fruit posted:

It's a tax, on the privilege of driving in London. Toll road fees (are supposed to) maintain the toll road and provide a route with reduced congestion, and there is almost always a way around the toll road to avoid the fee. The congestion tax in London covers all of the roads so it is unlikely that the tax is actually benefitting the road that you are using and the only way to avoid it is to not drive in London, which I will admit is probably easy thanks to London's mass transit.

In my opinion, a toll road is a voluntary fee that provides a higher level of service but the congestion tax seems more a gently caress you to people who work in London and need to drive a car. Is the tube always as fast as taking a car? What if your job requires you to transport bulky items?

It only covers an area of central London. And as you said, the fees don't go into maintaining anything, it's just a tax disguised as a toll to "reduce congestion" which it doesn't. It's only increased traffic in the roads around it, and barely reduced traffic inside; anyone who needs to go into the zone in a vehicle needs to go in, regardless of the charge. I have to take my van in frequently for work, and it costs me £10.50 for every day i go in the zone. (Mon-Fri) My last monthly bill for the CC zone was £136.50.

Sometimes if i have a drop that's right on the edge of the zone, if i can, i park just outside and make the drop with my trolley, skip the fee.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

If you go by this definition, tolls on many bridges and roads in the USA are actually taxes.

Bridge tolls in California for instance. (money of which goes to pay for mass transit, not the bridges)

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

nitrogen posted:

If you go by this definition, tolls on many bridges and roads in the USA are actually taxes.

Bridge tolls in California for instance. (money of which goes to pay for mass transit, not the bridges)

The CC Zone is just a cuntish tax.

Toll roads in mainland Europe loving own. Very little traffic, much better routes, excellent roads, excellent services and rest stops. None of that here, it's poo poo.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Mooseykins posted:

It only covers an area of central London. And as you said, the fees don't go into maintaining anything, it's just a tax disguised as a toll to "reduce congestion" which it doesn't. It's only increased traffic in the roads around it, and barely reduced traffic inside; anyone who needs to go into the zone in a vehicle needs to go in, regardless of the charge. I have to take my van in frequently for work, and it costs me £10.50 for every day i go in the zone. (Mon-Fri) My last monthly bill for the CC zone was £136.50.

Sometimes if i have a drop that's right on the edge of the zone, if i can, i park just outside and make the drop with my trolley, skip the fee.

The CC goes to pay for for transport projects in London that includes road maintenance as well as other forms of transport infrastructure and is only paid by those who use the roads it can be classed as a toll.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
if you cant avoid it its not a loving toll

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

PCOS Bill posted:

What really drives me nuts is on my commute home from work I go through a small business district (shoppin center on both sides of the road) where there's one lane of traffic each way, turning lane in the middle, and I'm going the same way the masses are. EVERY TIME without fail I get behind the guy who lets every single person in in front of him who wants to pull out into traffic our way from both sides.

I understand letting cars in, it has to be done so everyone can go.

I really don't understand why people have so much trouble with this. Leave a gap if you're already stopped and you can't pull forward any farther without blocking a driveway or intersection. If you can pull forward without blocking anyone in then do it. Don't stop and leave a ten car gap in front of you because you want to be the person to let people out. Don't leave a gap at all if traffic is still moving. Don't ever wave people out, but especially don't wave people out if they're turning left.

Christ this stuff pisses me off almost as much as people who run past the end of on-ramps to force their way into traffic from the soft shoulder. I've seen so many near accidents because of completely inconsiderate attempts at being "polite." Not to mention the fact that it puts the driver who's pulling out into a lovely situation where doing the right thing and staying put makes them the one responsible for holding up traffic.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Foxtrot_13 posted:

The CC goes to pay for for transport projects in London that includes road maintenance as well as other forms of transport infrastructure and is only paid by those who use the roads it can be classed as a toll.

I'd be amazed if it actually went into road maintenance because the roads inside the zone are still poo poo. If it does go into the public sector it's probably part paying for cycle lanes that are going to reduce useable road for vehicles that need it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Mooseykins posted:

I'd be amazed if it actually went into road maintenance because the roads inside the zone are still poo poo. If it does go into the public sector it's probably part paying for cycle lanes that are going to reduce useable road for vehicles that need it.

Someone told me that cycle lanes in the UK are funded by EU money

(which seems to be right: http://www.ctc.org.uk/eu-transport-committee-agrees-to-include-cycling-in-major-transport-fund )

So, the reason that all these useless cycle lanes (going from nowhere to nowhere, or going from somewhere to dumping the cyclist in the middle of a 4 lane roundabout with nowhere to go) is that the local council gets cash for every metre of lane they create. Regardless of how useless or dangerous it is.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'll just leave this here. Not my picture, DPS provided this.

This is Interstate 10.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

spog posted:

Someone told me that cycle lanes in the UK are funded by EU money

(which seems to be right: http://www.ctc.org.uk/eu-transport-committee-agrees-to-include-cycling-in-major-transport-fund )

So, the reason that all these useless cycle lanes (going from nowhere to nowhere, or going from somewhere to dumping the cyclist in the middle of a 4 lane roundabout with nowhere to go) is that the local council gets cash for every metre of lane they create. Regardless of how useless or dangerous it is.

The stupid cunts still don't use them. I drove past loving miles of cycle lanes most days without a single bike-riding oval office in sight. They've basically halved the traffic capacity of a lot of already-congested roads by building this poo poo. Then they have signs like "We're building segregated cycle lanes!" about as if we're meant to be loving pleased about it.

Get me out of here. I've had enough of this shithole. I can't wait to leave.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

The Locator posted:

This is Interstate 10.

It's that a semi backwards on I10?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

The Locator posted:

This is Interstate 10.
How many miles did he get away with this stunt? :stonk:

I guess it just goes to show they will let any idiot have a CDL these days.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Crotch Fruit posted:

This happened recently here. Two Romanians took their truck the wrong way down a motorway, drove down the hard shoulder a few miles with their hazards on, then did a U-turn at a junction slip road, and swapped drivers while in motion.

To be fair, the u-turn was loving decent. They got banned from driving in the UK, one for a year, the other for two years.

Stupid thing is, if they found they'd got on the motorway the wrong way, stopped immediately and called the police, the police and highways agency would rush there, put on a total closure and guide the truck the right way and send them on their way.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Geirskogul posted:

It's that a semi backwards on I10?

Yes. Yes it is.

Crotch Fruit posted:

No idea. A friend of mine in the Border Patrol posted this to his FB page - he works out of Blythe, so it's no doubt somewhere near the border.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

The Locator posted:

This is Interstate 10.

How drunk was the driver?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Locator posted:

No idea. A friend of mine in the Border Patrol posted this to his FB page - he works out of Blythe, so it's no doubt somewhere near the border.

Found the spot: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.603...!8i6656!6m1!1e1

They're maybe a quarter mile down from the exit, hopefully that's where they got on.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Saw a Prius cut off the van behind me to get into the lane that goes onto the freeway on ramp at the other side of the intersection to...not go onto the freeway.

All that for nothing.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Do rednecks see it as a challenge to their manlihood if they're passed?

For the second week in a row, I'm driving down MS-30, a two lane road between Bumfuck, Mississippi, and BrotherSisterLoveHoller, Mississippi. A car is in front of me, varying wildly between the limit, 5 over, and 5 under.

I pass them, so I can use cruise control (at 5 over, so I'm not slowing anybody down, it's not that). Last week, the second I do this, Ole Mr. Sisterfucker in a lovely Kia SUV starts tailgating me. I stick to cruise control, eventually he passes me, only to catch up to the semi ahead of us and apparently not figure out how to pass it.

This week, I go to pass the guy, he speeds up. I'm in a faster car, and I know he's doing it to screw with me, so I stay hammer down, and finally pull ahead at about 20 over. Then he tailgates me. Then, after about 3-4 passing sections, he passes me, violently swerving in front of me, only to tear off at about 80.

3-4 miles later, he slows down to 35. Knowing he's again trying to screw with me, I maintain a safe distance, at about 20 below the limit, while a semi is tailgating me. He pulls off, eventually, and flips me the bird.

Like ... dude, I'm not here to screw with you, and I don't really care if you're in front of me or behind me. Just pick one, or hell, pick a speed, and I'll figure out the rest.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Krakkles posted:

Do rednecks see it as a challenge to their manlihood if they're passed?

For the second week in a row, I'm driving down MS-30, a two lane road between Bumfuck, Mississippi, and BrotherSisterLoveHoller, Mississippi. A car is in front of me, varying wildly between the limit, 5 over, and 5 under.

I pass them, so I can use cruise control (at 5 over, so I'm not slowing anybody down, it's not that). Last week, the second I do this, Ole Mr. Sisterfucker in a lovely Kia SUV starts tailgating me. I stick to cruise control, eventually he passes me, only to catch up to the semi ahead of us and apparently not figure out how to pass it.

This week, I go to pass the guy, he speeds up. I'm in a faster car, and I know he's doing it to screw with me, so I stay hammer down, and finally pull ahead at about 20 over. Then he tailgates me. Then, after about 3-4 passing sections, he passes me, violently swerving in front of me, only to tear off at about 80.

3-4 miles later, he slows down to 35. Knowing he's again trying to screw with me, I maintain a safe distance, at about 20 below the limit, while a semi is tailgating me. He pulls off, eventually, and flips me the bird.

Like ... dude, I'm not here to screw with you, and I don't really care if you're in front of me or behind me. Just pick one, or hell, pick a speed, and I'll figure out the rest.
Were you driving the mustang? Those are always idiot magnets.

(Inside the car and out)

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Was behind this van taking a left turn, he pulled really far right in the lane going in and I thought it was amusing how bad he was and then OH MY GOD WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING he continued turning left making it a u-turn back out the way we came in right in front of me as if I wasn't there and almost hit me overcorrecting back into the opposite lane.

I was actually in my car for once (had to drop a couple bags of stuff off at Goodwill - need to offset some of that bad karma now and then) so if he had hit me it would have just been a really annoying afternoon instead of trip to the hospital, at least.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Cage posted:

Were you driving the mustang? Those are always idiot magnets.

(Inside the car and out)
Agreed, and in that car, I'm used to it. (I'm fine with people revving at me at stop lights or trying to goad me in to a race, but accelerating to block a pass is just a dick move.)

This time, however, it's a '15 Fusion Ti. The definition of sleepy sedan, with a decent Ecoboost mill thrown in for fun.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Man, no one ever revs their engine at me when I'm in the 'Stang (I think it's happened maybe three times since 2010) and I love accelerating hard at lights (though only up to the speed of traffic or the speed limit, because drag racing on public streets is retarded).

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Caught a gem earlier today; Jetta TDI rolls coal ahead of me right after the radio report on VW's tanking stock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeHZTD7pN8w

:34 if someone cuts you off, but they're invisible to you and stay in the oncoming lane, did they ever cut you off in the first place?

1:03 work van was tailgating me HARD. I slowed down to the speed limit to encourage him to pass me. He did, and promptly rode up on the next guy close enough to be on the brakes every 5-10 seconds. Work truck directly behind him, towing a trailer does the same to the van. I stay 10-15 car lengths behind them all watching, and still ride up next to them at each of the 4 stoplights we hit. Nothing happens, I just can't understand how people can constantly drive 5 feet off of everyone's bumper.

2:05 Red lights optional past 9pm, I suppose.

NoWake fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 22, 2015

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Part of my commute involves driving on a dual carriageway which has the national speed limit applied to it. It was a bit foggy this morning so I'm doing 60 in the left lane when a riced to gently caress Impreza comes barreling up behind me doing over 80, and chooses to slam on his brakes and honk at me despite having a free lane to go around in.

The more retarded part of this is the Mazda 6 estate hanging literally a metre off the back of the Imprezas bumper as it speeds off into the fog.

And the even more retarded part of this mornings commute was passing 5 cyclists, 3 of which were wearing black and had no lights or reflectors whatsoever, one was wearing bright clothes but still had no lights and the last one was kitted up like Lance Armstrong but actually had lights and reflectors which I was thankful for.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
http://imgur.com/gallery/8YSu4AS

If i was going to die, i hope i'd have the presence of mind to go out like this.

Edit: (noone dies in this gif)

Killstick fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Sep 22, 2015

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

NoWake posted:

2:05 Red lights optional past 9pm, I suppose.

I will run red lights late at night/early in the morning if it's a road I know, and I can tell beyond a shadow of a doubt that nobody's coming.
Many lights near me will start flashing yellow after 10pm as well. I wouldn't give anyone else poo poo for doing it safely.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I treat red lights as stop signs at super late/really early hours, but never blow full through them. I'll be damned if I'm sitting through a light cycle at 4:45am, though.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I occasionally have to deliver newspaper routes. I blow stop signs like they're not even there, blast down residential streets at 45mph, and there are a few red lights I treat like stop signs. I am the fastest at throwing routes at my site, but my co-workers refuse to ride with me and I've scared off a couple contractors with my "style". I suppose I am one of "those people" :v:

This is all between 1AM and 5AM, though, when it's pretty much clear. You start getting traffic on the major arteries at around 0530 or so around here.

EDIT: what's REALLY fun is getting pulled over for a DUI fishing expedition and the cop gets mad when they ask "have you been drinking tonight?" "No, I'm throwing papers and I've got 200 left. Can I go now?"

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 22, 2015

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Dealt with a complete rear end the other day.

So I live right off a major street in Denver. Like, speed limit is 65, and between daylight hours it's practically packed. Here's a pic of the merge lane onto this street:

It's tiny, maybe 250 feet? Either way, in the middle of traffic, it's hard to get up to speed, so I often just wait for the light to change (and it's often, about 1.5-2 minutes tops even during rush hour.) This opens up a gap wherein I can get on the road much more comfortably.

Cue jackass from adjacent trailer park coming up behind me. Cars on the road are packed but still going at speed, so I just wait. 10 seconds pass, and he starts pulling out to my left and stops, I suppose realizing he can't get far trying to get around me that way. This is bad because he's now blocking my view of oncoming traffic, so I have to pull up a good 10 feet or so to regain that view. At this point I have maybe 200 feet to accelerate, and 0-65 in a stock, base model 4 banger Honda isn't exactly instantaneous, and there's still the problem of having room on the road to actually merge into.

So I wait again, and the light has changed, but the remaining traffic has to pass. Apparently another 10 seconds is too much time for trailer park rear end in a top hat, so he turns and tries to go around me, in the shoulder. I'm not okay with this, so I slam on the gas and he doesn't get a chance to get in front of me. But god drat, can't people have patience when trying to merge onto one of the busiest roads at 4 in the afternoon?

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

Mooseykins posted:

gently caress this city, gently caress the people who run it.
They're too busy loving pigs to care (at least metaphorically in Boris' case. Probably).

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Protocol7 posted:

I'm not okay with this, so I slam on the gas

Protocol7 posted:

But god drat, can't people have patience

:confused:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

I don't like letting assholes like this get their way, even if it contradicts my usual driving methodologies. I was still able to safely merge in front of a semi. I don't see the problem.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Here is the source of your vehicular problem.

Protocol7 posted:

So I live in Denver...

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Protocol7 posted:

Dealt with a complete rear end the other day.

So I wait again, and the light has changed, but the remaining traffic has to pass. Apparently another 10 seconds is too much time for trailer park rear end in a top hat, so he turns and tries to go around me, in the shoulder. I'm not okay with this, so I slam on the gas and he doesn't get a chance to get in front of me. But god drat, can't people have patience when trying to merge onto one of the busiest roads at 4 in the afternoon?

Christ, if someone wants to go faster than you just let them loving go, don't cut them off.

Yesterday afternoon I saw two cyclists. With proper reflectors. In light colored clothing. Waiting at a red light patiently. I didn't know how to respond.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I don't understand how people in Memphis can screw up merging onto a freeway so bad. Most on-ramps are a quarter mile long. Get up to the speed of traffic, find a hole and merge.

I saw a lady in a Suburban go apeshit because she was trying to merge going 45 while traffic was going 65. Flipped people off for not getting out of her way too (in fairness there was nowhere for them to go).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

PCOS Bill posted:

Christ, if someone wants to go faster than you just let them loving go, don't cut them off.

But if there's only one lane, they're obligated to sit and wait until the car ahead of them creeps into traffic. It's not great, but that's how the world works.

Lean on the horn or something but you don't pull on to the shoulder to pass someone, ever.