Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snuffman
May 21, 2004

It'll be interesting to see how Apple reacts to what I'm sure will be a fair amount of subscriber drop off in a few weeks time.

Do they double down and fix Apple Music? Or do they quietly kill it off a year from now like they did with Ping?

Personally, I'm not renewing. Call me an old man, but I've always been more a fan of having my own music collection rather than subscribing to a music streaming service. Streaming my library? That was nice for the month I was travelling but pretty broken (wrong art, wrong song matches, stuff not uploading properly). Some of the Canadian Indie rock stations were neat at first...then they never changed. Beats1? Too similar to Top40 for my tastes, for every 1 song that interested me there was 5 that didn't. Connect was dumb and I disabled it as soon as I discovered I could get a Playlists button back. "For You" is the only feature I found value in (outside of aforementioned library streaming) but thats not worth 9 bucks a month.

My biggest problem with the UI was them disabling and shuffling away MY content in favour of THEIR content.

Disabling Apple Music cleans up the interface a lot and puts my music library front and centre again, so I know what I'm doing in a few weeks time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eshen
May 8, 2007
[insert witty comment]
Is there a limit to how many tracks you can upload to Apple Music?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

eshen posted:

I'm assuming it's like iTunes Match and the limit will be 20,000.

But someone (Eddie Cue?) mentioned they were looking into increasing it to 100,000 Soon ™ ?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I'm going to pay for AM, also. I've started to learn how to get around some of my UI complaints, so its usability is fine for me. I'll echo the sentiments of others about being able to use Siri to play songs. It feels like an extra little baby-step into the future when my friend texts me "have you heard the new ____" and I hold the home button and say "play ____'s new album" and it just does it.

Also, the fact that iCloud Music Library or whatever it's called is built in means I never have to worry about syncing music to my phone via iTunes ever again, and that's valuable to me on top of streaming whatever I want. (I have no idea if Spotify has this capability as well, but gently caress it)

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

ShoogaSlim posted:

I'm going to pay for AM, also. I've started to learn how to get around some of my UI complaints, so its usability is fine for me. I'll echo the sentiments of others about being able to use Siri to play songs. It feels like an extra little baby-step into the future when my friend texts me "have you heard the new ____" and I hold the home button and say "play ____'s new album" and it just does it.

Also, the fact that iCloud Music Library or whatever it's called is built in means I never have to worry about syncing music to my phone via iTunes ever again, and that's valuable to me on top of streaming whatever I want. (I have no idea if Spotify has this capability as well, but gently caress it)

Siri integration and compatibility with my car stereo are the big reasons I'm cancelling Google Play and going with Apple Music - yeah the UI in iTunes especially really stinks, but I just kind of stopped using iTunes and it's much easier to navigate the app in iOS.

I also consume tons of new music so I don't think I prefer the old model of buying new songs outright and STILL having to pay for a streaming service to discover new artists.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
I'm going to keep it. I like sampling new music all the time so this comes out cheaper for me and I personally do not like the Spotify desktop interface especially when it comes to discovery. I don't have any other friends with similar tastes on Spotify though so that's also not holding me back.

The iTunes interface feels way clunkier to me than on iOS, though it's serviceable.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
For me, Apple Music is great. The recommended playlists are great and I'm constantly finding great lists with genres and eras that I like. If I want comfort music and listen to stuff I have heard before, it's easy to do.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Jose Oquendo posted:

For me, Apple Music is great. The recommended playlists are great and I'm constantly finding great lists with genres and eras that I like. If I want comfort music and listen to stuff I have heard before, it's easy to do.

Same. I'm keeping it.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Jose Oquendo posted:

I've been able to work around or deal with all the quirks of Apple Music, but the way they've implemented smart playlist broke my heart. Pandora for discovery, Spotify Free for sampling, discount iTunes gift cards for acquisition.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I will give it to Spotify for finally getting off it's rear end since Apple Music came out. There was a Spotify update, what?......Once every year or 2? Now there's one every time I open the drat thing.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
My carrier is giving contract customers a complimentary 12 month membership.

I still prefer Spotify, but free is free.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

The Modern Leper posted:

I've been able to work around or deal with all the quirks of Apple Music, but the way they've implemented smart playlist broke my heart. Pandora for discovery, Spotify Free for sampling, discount iTunes gift cards for acquisition.

What's the problem with smart playlists?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

eshen posted:

The limit is currently 20,000. iTunes won't even allow you to activate iCloud Music Library if you have more than that.

Source: I have more than 20,000 songs in my iTunes library :/

Songs actually purchased from the iTunes store might not count towards the limit, but I'm not sure as 99.999% of my content is ripped from CDs.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

MrBond posted:

What's the problem with smart playlists?

There are a couple, of varying "importance." One is that you can't refer to other playlists in your criteria. Another is that you can't limit playlists by "random" - on the phone, the playlist will just run through by artist (for me, in reverse alphabetical order).

There was something else, but I can't recall it at the moment.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Minidust posted:

The limit is currently 20,000. iTunes won't even allow you to activate iCloud Music Library if you have more than that.

Source: I have more than 20,000 songs in my iTunes library :/

Songs actually purchased from the iTunes store might not count towards the limit, but I'm not sure as 99.999% of my content is ripped from CDs.

It's 25,000, not counting iTunes purchases, but supposedly that limit is being increased to 100,000.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I've tried Googling for a few answers but I'm unable to find an answer.

Basically, I signed up for Apple Music today and I've been adding things into a playlist on my iPhone. There are a couple of albums that are unavailable on Apple music, some mix tapes I've downloaded.

Now my question is, how do I get these songs in my iTunes library (on my desktop), into my iPhone? When I connect my iPhone under the music, it just says "iCloud Music Library is On". All the music I want to upload has a little outline of a cloud (waiting) and nothing is progressing.

Any help?

Edit: Also while looking at the whole mix tape sometimes I see a cloud and sometimes I don't?

Edit: Got it. File, Library, Update iCloud Music Library.

Edit: Now that everything is uploaded, I can only find the albums under compilation, although the albums are by the same artist. What the hell is going on with Apple Music?

Edit: Reading through the last 5 pages or so of this thread. Looks like I'm not the only one having issues with Apple Music.

Last edit: Apparently there isn't a way to mass delete songs that are on the Music app. Lol?

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Sep 24, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

obi_ant posted:

Edit: Now that everything is uploaded, I can only find the albums under compilation, although the albums are by the same artist. What the hell is going on with Apple Music?

Last edit: Apparently there isn't a way to mass delete songs that are on the Music app. Lol?
In iTunes: Get info for the album and uncheck "Album is a compilation of songs by various artists"

No, there's never been a way to mass delete songs in the Music app.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

The Modern Leper posted:

There are a couple, of varying "importance." One is that you can't refer to other playlists in your criteria. Another is that you can't limit playlists by "random" - on the phone, the playlist will just run through by artist (for me, in reverse alphabetical order).

There was something else, but I can't recall it at the moment.

Ah gotcha. I think I remember the first one. Haven't tried the second one but I believe it! Maybe worth sending bug feedback somewhere?

Endless Mike posted:

In iTunes: Get info for the album and uncheck "Album is a compilation of songs by various artists"

No, there's never been a way to mass delete songs in the Music app.

Before apple music came along it wasn't even possible to delete from iOS at all AFAIK. iOS used to be just a reflection of either your synced or iTunes match library.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MrBond posted:

Ah gotcha. I think I remember the first one. Haven't tried the second one but I believe it! Maybe worth sending bug feedback somewhere?

Before apple music came along it wasn't even possible to delete from iOS at all AFAIK. iOS used to be just a reflection of either your synced or iTunes match library.

You could definitely do it with iTunes Match and probably could have done it with iTunes cloud music.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I think it was iOS 7 that let you first delete individual songs. Might have been 8, but I think it was two years ago.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

You can easily delete mass songs by going to Manage Storage in the setting app. You can delete all songs or delete by artist. I don't know if this was added in iOS 9. I'm running the 9.1 beta and did it just a few days ago.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
It's been there since at least iOS 8

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
So the issue where smart playlists that are limited "by random" only appear on iOS devices as playlists selected by artist name is not exclusive to Apple Music - playlists on my iPhone are affected, but playlists on my iPod Classic are not.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Am I missing something obvious here? Can I not set up music to live on my phone through iTunes in any way? I have iCloud Music Library turned on, I'm downloading music with the little cloud icon with the down arrow, I just want that poo poo on my phone so I don't have to constantly go back and forth between my MacBook and iPhone for each individual album I want.

iTunes doesn't even give me the drag-and-drop feature for music anymore. So I'm forced to download poo poo to my phone from my phone only, huh? Blegh.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Turn off Apple Music, sync like normal all the stuff you want now, re-enable.

ray_finkle_himself
Sep 7, 2012
Apple Music actually made me check out Spotify and subscribe to it instead. Spotify is just so much better in every way I couldn't justify sticking with Apple Music.

I can't really see why anyone would really.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ray_finkle_himself posted:

Apple Music actually made me check out Spotify and subscribe to it instead. Spotify is just so much better in every way I couldn't justify sticking with Apple Music.

It's a matter of taste. Ultimately Apple Music does a better job at hooking me up with interesting music than Spotify ever did. So for me, that's worth putting up with an irritating UI.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

ray_finkle_himself posted:

If you're completely uninterested in the discovery features (which I don't use so I can't comment on), the only reason I could see is for the Siri integration. Past that, I really don't know. I can't believe Apple would release such a half-baked product into the wild; it's almost like they're doing a year long, paid beta. I chalked up the first couple months to new tech, but it seems like this is going to be a long road before it gets anywhere near what it should be. It's not like Spotify, Google, et al. are going to do nothing feature wise until then, either.

BitesizedNike fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 28, 2015

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Had to cancel iTunes match via Apple support (email). Somehow they managed to not only cancel iTunes match but ALSO my Apple Music account and now all my playlists are gone. Spent the past 30 minutes on phone support and I very much doubt I will get my playlists back. Yay.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 28, 2015

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Just paid for my first month. Glad to support just a great service.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Had to cancel iTunes match via Apple support (email). Somehow they managed to not only cancel iTunes match but ALSO my Apple Music account and now all my playlists are gone. Spent the past 30 minutes on phone support and I very much doubt I will get my playlists back. Yay.

Do you have a backup of your library file? I once got playlists back by restoring an old library.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
As long as Spotify is walled off from basic iPhone services I guess I'll keep paying for both :(. Plus my wife can't screw up my Apple Music account like she did with Spotify.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Ultimate Mango posted:

Do you have a backup of your library file? I once got playlists back by restoring an old library.

It is unfortunate, I do not. :(

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

Am I missing something obvious here? Can I not set up music to live on my phone through iTunes in any way? I have iCloud Music Library turned on, I'm downloading music with the little cloud icon with the down arrow, I just want that poo poo on my phone so I don't have to constantly go back and forth between my MacBook and iPhone for each individual album I want.

iTunes doesn't even give me the drag-and-drop feature for music anymore. So I'm forced to download poo poo to my phone from my phone only, huh? Blegh.

Honestly AFAICT the idea is if you have iCloud Music Library enabled the intent is iTunes is even less in the picture for day to day management, which I consider a plus.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MrBond posted:

Honestly AFAICT the idea is if you have iCloud Music Library enabled the intent is iTunes is even less in the picture for day to day management, which I consider a plus.

I haven't used iTunes to manage anything on my phone or iPad since iTunes Match (and now Apple Music) and iCloud integration. The only reason I launch it these days is to be able to play Apple Music "For You" playlists on my laptop.

I think the last time I actually used it for something iOS related (and the first time in years) was when I made a local backup when I was putting the iOS 9 betas on my devices.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

MrBond posted:

Yeah, it makes your computer+iTunes more of just another "client" like your phone, rather than a server/storage place/control center.

Tangential, that also seems to be the way the new(er) iCloud Photo Library is, but Apple did a pretty bad (imo) job explaining that.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Yeah the only time you really ever need to use iTunes is if you want to add mp3s to your library that aren't on AM (then wait approximately 12 hours for them to show as available on your phone and realize half of them AM "helpfully" matched to be by completely different artists)

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
So are Beats 1 and itunes radio not part of the subscription service? I opened itunes at work today and got a pop-up that my Music subscription was cancelled, then clicked play on Beats 1 and it still plays.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

nickutz posted:

So are Beats 1 and itunes radio not part of the subscription service? I opened itunes at work today and got a pop-up that my Music subscription was cancelled, then clicked play on Beats 1 and it still plays.

Correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

nickutz posted:

Free version of radio has ads and limited skips.

• Locked thread