Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

EL BROMANCE posted:

There's a Goon thread (or series of threads, I think) about building blog empires that look like they're useful information sites, but really are just designed to fill niche gaps and cash in using adverts and affiliate links (which I don't think are targeted right now? But that would be a good one just to kill the fake coupon websites). They're probably not loving this.

Link, please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Everyone pls post your order confirmations, tracking numbers, and delivery estimates ITT

Don't forget the plane tracking information that the shipments are coming from overseas on!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

TealShark posted:

Don't forget the plane tracking information that the shipments are coming from overseas on!

Wake me up when it gets to case chat (the correct answer is the official leather case)

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

spongeworthy posted:

Pardon me if this has been covered - I did a quick search and found nothing.

Did a clean restore on my iPad mini 2 with iOS 9.0 and after the fresh install it still reports I have 10GB available space for use. Shouldn't this be much greater now with the vastly reduced size of iOS 9?

Anyone have input on this? I feel like I should have more than 10GB available on a 16GB iPad when the OS is just 1.1GB.

e: maybe more than 1.1 GB unpacked, but still

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 19, 2015

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

spongeworthy posted:

Anyone have input on this? I feel like I should have more than 10GB available on a 16GB iPad when the OS is just 1.1GB.

e: maybe more than 1.1 GB unpacked, but still

It's the OS updates that are smaller, not the whole OS. 10GB free does seem low, but they didn't make the footprint of the whole installed OS smaller (or at least that's not what they were advertising as a feature).

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Is my assumption that iFunBox and equivalents still don't have a workaround in iOS 9 correct?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Link, please

It's been archived for months I think

I have a few niche blogs that he's talking about and here's the thing: The type of person who goes out of their way to download an ad blocker wasn't going to click your ad in the first place. It actually makes a very small impact on anything.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

FCKGW posted:

It's been archived for months I think

I have a few niche blogs that he's talking about and here's the thing: The type of person who goes out of their way to download an ad blocker wasn't going to click your ad in the first place. It actually makes a very small impact on anything.

Most ad supported sites rely on impressions, not clicks. It's the equivalent of having someone view a billboard.

It's their entire revenue model, of course it has an impact. This is why they're bemoaning it; mobile browsing is huge and expanding, and has previously been immune to ad-blocking.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Khablam posted:

Most ad supported sites rely on impressions, not clicks. It's the equivalent of having someone view a billboard.

You can only make money off impressions (paid per 1000) if you're getting really, really good traffic. The amount they pay per view is pitiful. Whereas on clicks, back a few years ago I could make over $2/click on my site. That figure has dropped to about 10% of what it was, and I bet the impressions per 1k has dropped even lower too.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Another piss in our mouths by Tim. Jesus loving Christ. Now playing was great because it would be there even if you weren't actively listening to a podcast. Let's you get back to your last thing, and now it's gone. Eat my rear end Tim. gently caress you jony.

:goonsay:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Has anyone done a proper comparison of the different content blockers yet?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Question if I remove the beta profile does that mean my phone will update to the next proper release when it is launched?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It's a small thing, but can the bar at the bottom of the home screen (I don't know what it's called) be disabled? I only use one screen, so its existence is pretty meaningless as a special place to put apps.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's a small thing, but can the bar at the bottom of the home screen (I don't know what it's called) be disabled? I only use one screen, so its existence is pretty meaningless as a special place to put apps.

No

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Okay, thanks.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

Nope, your option really is just to use the dock as a place for four apps icons, and accept that its always-on-top behavior is moot with only one screen. Which, come to think of it, is what we all did in 2007 anyway when there was just one screen and no apps.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The iPhone Thread: Eat My rear end Tim

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

Nope, your option really is just to use the dock as a place for four apps icons, and accept that its always-on-top behavior is moot with only one screen. Which, come to think of it, is what we all did in 2007 anyway when there was just one screen and no apps.

Obviously I haven't used iPhone OS 1 in years, but wouldn't it give you more screens if you put a bunch of website links on your home screen?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Samurai Sanders posted:

Out of curiousity, do you just have a ton of folders or do you simply have very few apps installed on your phone?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So admittedly, I don't understand these things. So could somebody tell me why Apple even bothers making 2 different models of the iPhone 6S and 6S+ when the only difference is support for 1 LTE band (30 - 2300 MHz)?

I'm sure there's a good reason, and the model without band 30 only supports Sprint, Verizon, and TMobile in the US, while the model with band 30 supports AT&T and every regional carrier and pre-paid wireless company. Does the extra band support require some extra hardware, or is it some sort of firmware thing? If its hardware, are they saving a tiny bit on each handset that doesn't require band 30?

Just curious.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember there being one more icon than the first screen had room for?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Obviously I haven't used iPhone OS 1 in years, but wouldn't it give you more screens if you put a bunch of website links on your home screen?

You couldn't save links to your home screen in 1.0. I think it was added in a 1.x release.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

You can only make money off impressions (paid per 1000) if you're getting really, really good traffic. The amount they pay per view is pitiful. Whereas on clicks, back a few years ago I could make over $2/click on my site. That figure has dropped to about 10% of what it was, and I bet the impressions per 1k has dropped even lower too.
Right, but the ones that are an actual business (with employees), the ones who are complaining, will almost certainly be on impressions instead of clicks. It's much more consistent based on traffic. I don't mean a website that would likely be there even if there was no such thing as ads.
People clicking on ads has been beaten into them as a bad idea for long enough that very, very few people do.

I don't know though, maybe we've had enough ad chat.

Caffeinated Sloth
Apr 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I updated, and suddenly I am incapable of backing up my phone to icloud. I have 4.8 out of 5gb available, with my ipad using 70mb for its backup (and my phone using 0kb according to manage storage). icloud drive is off, photo backup is off (I use onedrive). The only things checked "on" in the icloud settings page is contacts, calendars, reminders, safari, news, backup, keychain, and find my phone. It keeps saying I don't have enough room.

I also had this problem. The issue in my case was that I had previously selected several large apps to *not* backup to iCloud, and the upgrade nicely selected them all for backup.

To correct this, I went to: Settings, iCloud, Storage, Manage Storage, tap name of phone, backup options, then deselected apps that I didn't need backed up.

Then to test the backup I went to Settings, iCloud, Backup, then selected to backup.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I remember there being one more icon than the first screen had room for?

Definitely not the case in 1.0.

The Verge did a thing on the visual changes from 1.0 to 8.0, including major point releases (and yeah, Diabolik900 is correct) when that came out that's kind of neat.

http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/13/2612736/ios-history-iphone-ipad

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

One thing that that highlights is that Visual Voicemail has been around since inception, and my carrier (and probably countless others) still can't support it.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

EL BROMANCE posted:

One thing that that highlights is that Visual Voicemail has been around since inception, and my carrier (and probably countless others) still can't support it.

Mine wants to charge me 2 Euros extra for it. gently caress all mobile providers.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

When can we start posting shipping notifications?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

MarcusSA posted:

Why bother? I already have mine

-Sent from my iPhone 6s+

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

bobfather posted:

Why bother? I already have mine

-Sent from my iPhone 6s+

don't do this to me

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

MarcusSA posted:

My Amazon Subscription of baby wipes and Maker's Mark just shipped.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've not seen anyone mention the News app. I thought it was part of iOS 9 and was running in the US on launch day but delayed here in the UK? Am I wrong? It's hard to google 'iOS 9 news' and variants and actually getting info that's useful, and not just about iOS9.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Question Mark Mound posted:

Out of curiousity, do you just have a ton of folders or do you simply have very few apps installed on your phone?
Folders. I've just never liked scrolling through multiple home screens.

edit: is this the part where I'm told I am using my phone like a heathen?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 19, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FUMBLEROOSKI

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

MarcusSA posted:

I'm waiting for the posts showing pictures of the screen about how it's just ~too yellow~ (followed by tech support chat logs and then shipping notifications).

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Samurai Sanders posted:

Folders. I've just never liked scrolling through multiple home screens.

edit: is this the part where I'm told I am using my phone like a heathen?
Nah, just personal preference. I used to have loads of folders, but then felt like swiping through a bunch of home screens is much the same as tapping through a bunch of folders, so I might as well have easier visibility of the apps.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Pretty sure I just found a bug.

Enabled restrictions for "News" to turn it off, then disabled the restrictions to turn it back on. The icon is now nowhere to be found, Siri can't find the app, and neither can Spotlight. However, I still get the feed in the shortcuts screen, but if I click a story, nothing happens.

Can someone confirm or let me know how to fix this?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone find a way to keep Low Power Mode on even through a charge?

When I plug my iPhone in and it's in Low Power Mode, once it gets above 80% battery a message pops up saying something like "device now has sufficient power, exiting Low Power Mode". This is annoying because then whenever I take the phone anywhere I have to go into the settings and re-enable it.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

Nah, just personal preference. I used to have loads of folders, but then felt like swiping through a bunch of home screens is much the same as tapping through a bunch of folders, so I might as well have easier visibility of the apps.

I have everything in one folder called "apps" and use spotlight search/recent apps to get to everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

So even though I bellyached before about ad-blocking not being that big of a deal, I figured I would go ahead and give Purify a shot and clunk down four bucks on an app that I may or may not even get that much mileage out of.

However, the App Store told me that the app was incompatible with my device. What the gently caress? I'm using a 5c temporarily until I pick up the 6s, why wouldn't this device be supported? I'm running 9.1 beta. Blegh.