Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

bunnyofdoom posted:

I would not mind seeing some wraith squadron stuff re-canonized.

Dinner Squadron 4eva.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

TK-42-1 posted:

Dinner Squadron 4eva.

Yub Yub Commander.

(gently caress me, I really hope one of the characters from Rogue one is loving Wes Janson.)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yub Yub Commander.

(gently caress me, I really hope one of the characters from Rogue one is loving Wes Janson.)
I think "Rogue One" is supposed to be about the Rebels stealing the Death Star plans? (a concept that's been done so many times and in so many ways in the EU that they had to write an entire novel devoted to reconciling all of it)
I'm not entirely sure Rogue One will have anything to do with Rogue Squadron, making the title a colossal cocktease for Rogue Squadron/X-wing fans.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

To be fair Game of Thrones is a way, way more egregious offender

I'm not saying it's not dumb when Star Wars does it, it's just a lot easier to overlook it in comparison

Lots of Rawbbyrt Smythes in GoT

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

I think "Rogue One" is supposed to be about the Rebels stealing the Death Star plans? (a concept that's been done so many times and in so many ways in the EU that they had to write an entire novel devoted to reconciling all of it)
I'm not entirely sure Rogue One will have anything to do with Rogue Squadron, making the title a colossal cocktease for Rogue Squadron/X-wing fans.

man furries are gonna go wild if it's about stealing the death star plans.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Groovelord Neato posted:

man furries are gonna go wild if it's about stealing the death star plans.
Are you thinking the Death Star II? That's the one with the Bothans stealing the plans that gets name-dropped in Return of the Jedi. Rogue One is apparently about the first Death Star's plans

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Kyle Katarn is the true dude to get the plans. Just waltzed into secure areas blasting poo poo :colbert:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Wicker Man posted:

Kyle Katarn is the true dude to get the plans. Just waltzed into secure areas blasting poo poo :colbert:
It won't happen, but I'd at least like to see him get a casual name-drop in Rogue One.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

Are you thinking the Death Star II? That's the one with the Bothans stealing the plans that gets name-dropped in Return of the Jedi. Rogue One is apparently about the first Death Star's plans

the bothans are the only spies in Star Wars. every species does one thing.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I hope that they totally dump or outright contradict every Star Wars novel ever.

Except for The Glove Of Darth Vader.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lando isn't gonna be in the news movies right 'cause it'd suck seeing old lando.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Tom Brady posted:

are you for loving real

I was a dumb child :downs:

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
it boggles my mind that people care what is canon or what isnt honestly.

i still have the books. the disney canon police arent being dispatched to take them.

i can still read them.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
But they aren't real if they aren't canon, watch the movies idiot, it tells you that it's all based on true historical events.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
...retard...

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Buschmaki posted:

But they aren't real if they aren't canon, watch the movies idiot, it tells you that it's all based on true historical events.

As a real young kid I used to daydream that Lucas was a refugee from the Empire. In my dreams Star Wars was based on real events but was false pro-rebel propaganda. One day the Empire would track him down and conquer the Earth. Then, at last, I would be able to go to space and die in some shithole to an IED after being conscripted into the Imp Army.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

TK-42-1 posted:

As a real young kid I used to daydream that Lucas was a refugee from the Empire. In my dreams Star Wars was based on real events but was false pro-rebel propaganda. One day the Empire would track him down and conquer the Earth. Then, at last, I would be able to go to space and die in some shithole to an IED after being conscripted into the Imp Army.

IED here meaning an Improvised Ewok Device.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Young Freud posted:

IED here meaning an Improvised Ewok Device.

Kettch has a name, jerk

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

TK-42-1 posted:

Keeping with the thread title, the thing that makes me cringe the most is this post.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

TK-42-1 posted:

Keeping with the thread title, the thing that makes me cringe the most is this post.

as it turns out tk-42-1 was at his post

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

TK-42-1 posted:

In my last Star Wars game there was a Ewok Doctor named Kare Bayr and his icon was Paddington Bear. :3:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

one of the new star wars comics has darth vader adventuring with a kawaii nerd girl so no there is no quality control

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I just found a virtually new copy of Rogue Squadron, an equally pristine Bacta War, and a slightly weathered Wedge's Gamble at the local library book sale, so I nabbed them for 50 cents each because my early X-Wing novels are falling apart and such. :3:

(did not get the hardcover Crystal Star I also saw there)

((got a very cheap looking Go set also for 50 cents, but we were really there for fifty billion board books to read to the baby, including Star Wars Heroes, a "meet the major characters from the star wars movies!!! board book))

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Uncle Wemus posted:

one of the new star wars comics has darth vader adventuring with a kawaii nerd girl so no there is no quality control

this sounds cool and good, is it the darth vader comic or main star wars comic?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

silvergoose posted:

I just found a virtually new copy of Rogue Squadron, an equally pristine Bacta War, and a slightly weathered Wedge's Gamble at the local library book sale, so I nabbed them for 50 cents each because my early X-Wing novels are falling apart and such. :3:

(did not get the hardcover Crystal Star I also saw there)

((got a very cheap looking Go set also for 50 cents, but we were really there for fifty billion board books to read to the baby, including Star Wars Heroes, a "meet the major characters from the star wars movies!!! board book))

I love Rogue Squadron but Wedge is at his goddamn beat in the Wraith Squadron books.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Uncle Wemus posted:

here comes the new boss same as the old boss

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Trevor Hale posted:

I love Rogue Squadron but Wedge is at his goddamn beat in the Wraith Squadron books.

thats bc the wraith squadron books are by far the best star wars books out there imo

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Trevor Hale posted:

The best Wedge book is Starfighters of Adumar, it's seriously hilarious.

The Wraith books are way better than the Rogue books because the Wraith books are ensemble books with fun characters, while the Rogue books focus on Corran Horn, the biggest Mary Sue in the EU. Better pilot than Wedge, star investigator who unravels a massive Imperial plot that no one else could figure out, irresistible to every woman he encounters (and of course he marries the hot chick), oh and did I mention that he's Force sensitive and becomes a Jedi badass?
poo poo, I can't even name any of the other Rogue pilots in the Stackpole books other than Wedge, Tycho, and Gavin.

The Rogue Squadron comics are a lot better about being ensemble stories and giving the other pilots more to do.

The Wraith books initially set up Kell Tainer to be Corran 2.0, and then totally subverts it and makes him take the back seat to the ensemble cast. And when he tries to hook up with the hot chick, she totally shoots him down for being a goony PUA douche and its loving hilarious.

I actually only recently learned that Aaron Allston passed away last year. It's a shame because he seemed like a cool guy, on top of his books being tons of fun.
Yub Yub, Commander. :sigh:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Trevor Hale posted:

Well obviously, but if I had seen those I would have replaced my aging copies of those too!

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Xenomrph posted:

The best Wedge book is Starfighters of Adumar, it's seriously hilarious.

The Wraith books are way better than the Rogue books because the Wraith books are ensemble books with fun characters, while the Rogue books focus on Corran Horn, the biggest Mary Sue in the EU. Better pilot than Wedge, star investigator who unravels a massive Imperial plot that no one else could figure out, irresistible to every woman he encounters (and of course he marries the hot chick), oh and did I mention that he's Force sensitive and becomes a Jedi badass?
poo poo, I can't even name any of the other Rogue pilots in the Stackpole books other than Wedge, Tycho, and Gavin.

The Rogue Squadron comics are a lot better about being ensemble stories and giving the other pilots more to do.

The Wraith books initially set up Kell Tainer to be Corran 2.0, and then totally subverts it and makes him take the back seat to the ensemble cast. And when he tries to hook up with the hot chick, she totally shoots him down for being a goony PUA douche and its loving hilarious.

I actually only recently learned that Aaron Allston passed away last year. It's a shame because he seemed like a cool guy, on top of his books being tons of fun.
Yub Yub, Commander. :sigh:

I agree with every single word of this.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
:rip: ton phanan

E: actually its worth mentioning that every time a wraith died in those books it was a total bummer, so good for aaron allston

Tom Brady fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 20, 2015

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
He also killed characters off left and right so the only thing you were sure of was that wedge would make it though. Whereas in the rogue squadron books no one ever died.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Fil5000 posted:

He also killed characters off left and right so the only thing you were sure of was that wedge would make it though. Whereas in the rogue squadron books no one ever died.

I think a few characters did but never major ones. The only one who comes to mind as a significant death is Asyr Sei'lar.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Milky Moor posted:

I think a few characters did but never major ones. The only one who comes to mind as a significant death is Asyr Sei'lar.

Did she actually die? I thought it was faked to get councillor bothan man (Borsk?) off her back.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

Did she actually die? I thought it was faked to get councillor bothan man (Borsk?) off her back.

Eh, faked death and the character never appears or is mentioned again seems like the same thing. But I just finished Isard's, so, I should have remembered the final few pages!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Were Wraith Squadron books the ones with BoShek Horseman?

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Uncle Wemus posted:

and her hi-larious sadistic droid companions. Its got that hosed up thing where you know its real dumb but youre still entertained anyway.

Fil5000 posted:

That fucker shoulda been thrown out airlock somewhere, he is loving things up in about 90% of the Eu books I've read. As nice as the new republic is you think even they would have hit a point where theyre like, "this Borsk Fey'lya rear end in a top hat ruins loving everything, lets drop him off on Hoth with just a sleeping bag and tell him to start hiking and get hosed."

It'd be like if there were 50 ghostbusters books and Walter Peck from the EPA showed up in every loving book. In the last book they proved him wrong and embarrassed him in front of all his friends and associates but somehow the government keeps putting him in positions to cock things up. Oh gently caress, Peck got a legal order to turn off the ghost containment unit for the 39th loving time, that's the Borsk Fey'lya character.

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Sep 20, 2015

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Borsk is like the epitome of that 80s/90s TV series 'antagonist' type character who is ostensibly on the good guys team but always tries to use every plot for his own gain and often fails spectacularly. "Oh, Borsk is at it again~"

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Because Star Wars must have absolutely zero subtlety of course the character who fails a lot is literally called Fey'lya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
I AM GORP SOLO

GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP
GORP