Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Tao Jones posted:

"Pre-Ottoman civilization"?

The Romans lasted a whole of a hell lot longer than the Ottomans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

cheerfullydrab posted:

Um excuse me the ottoman empire lasted over 600 years and the roman empire barely made it through 500

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

cheerfullydrab posted:

since the second is a subset of the first this statement is trivially true :mrgw:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Um excuse me the ottoman empire lasted over 600 years and the roman empire barely made it through 500

HEY GAL posted:

since the second is a subset of the first this statement is trivially true :mrgw:

I... can't tell who's trolling me more.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

cheerfullydrab posted:

Lots of use of the "B" word on this page. I thought at least some posters called those people by their right name.

Bulgars?

Veeta
Dec 23, 2011

... καὶ ὡς ὑπὸ βελῶν τοῖς σοῖς κατατρωθήσονται ῥήμασιν.

cheerfullydrab posted:

Lots of use of the "B" word on this page. I thought at least some posters called those people by their right name.

Perfidious Greeks?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Too much trolling, I'll have to drown my sorrows with some wine from the Lutetian Republic.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I never heard this before but it's amazing:

An example of typical mythology in the Talmud exists as a discussion about a giant deer and a giant lion which are both originated in a mythical forest called "Bei Ilai".[41] The deer is called "keresh", it has one horn,[42][43][44] and its skin measures 15 cubits in length.[45] The lion, called "tigris", is said to be so big that there is a space of 9 cubits between its ears.[46] The Roman Caesar Hadrian once asked Rabbi Joshua ben Hananiah to show him this lion, since every lion can be killed, but the Rabbi refused and pointed out that this is not a normal lion. The Roman Caesar insisted, so the Rabbi reluctantly called for the lion of "Bei Ilai". He roared once from a distance of 400 parasangs, and all pregnant women miscarried and all the city walls of Rome tumbled down. Then he came to 300 parasangs and roared again, and the front teeth and molars of Roman men fell out, and even the emperor himself fell from his throne. He begged the Rabbi to send it back. The Rabbi prayed and it returned to its place.

From wiki page on Jewish mythology (phone posting, otherwise I'd quote and link better).

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage

cheerfullydrab posted:

Too much trolling, I'll have to drown my sorrows with some wine from the Lutetian Republic.

Oh for fucks sake Gaul is more than Lutetia! It's hard to remember with the Parisii lording it over all the other tribes, but there's more to this country than this cess pit of a river island, and much friendlier too.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

A Strange Aeon posted:

An example of typical mythology in the Talmud exists as a discussion about a giant deer and a giant lion which are both originated in a mythical forest called "Bei Ilai".[41] The deer is called "keresh", it has one horn,[42][43][44] and its skin measures 15 cubits in length.[45] The lion, called "tigris", is said to be so big that there is a space of 9 cubits between its ears.[46] The Roman Caesar Hadrian once asked Rabbi Joshua ben Hananiah to show him this lion, since every lion can be killed, but the Rabbi refused and pointed out that this is not a normal lion. The Roman Caesar insisted, so the Rabbi reluctantly called for the lion of "Bei Ilai". He roared once from a distance of 400 parasangs, and all pregnant women miscarried and all the city walls of Rome tumbled down. Then he came to 300 parasangs and roared again, and the front teeth and molars of Roman men fell out, and even the emperor himself fell from his throne. He begged the Rabbi to send it back. The Rabbi prayed and it returned to its place.

From wiki page on Jewish mythology (phone posting, otherwise I'd quote and link better).

Frigus fabula, fratrem

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

Frigus fabula, fratrem
your grammar makes me hate u

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

cheerfullydrab posted:

I... can't tell who's trolling me more.

its all rather byzantine isnt it

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

JaucheCharly posted:

Frigus fabula, fratrem

HEY GAL posted:

your grammar makes me hate u

same

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I could write it on a wall until I get it?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Agean90 posted:

its all rather byzantine isnt it

wrap it up basileiliures

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

This derail is all Greek to me.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

xthetenth posted:

This derail is all Greek to me.

f:b

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
i like these jokes helot

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo did someone open up a nitrous tank in nerd club?

Still better than Atlantis or New Jersey Romans or whatever.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

JaucheCharly posted:

I could write it on a wall until I get it?

Be warned, Theophilus was there earlier.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Ahhiyawa out of Wilusa

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

basileiliures

:golfclap:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
umayyad?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Sometimes this thread makes me wish I was blinded and sent to a monastery. But only one of those really nice ones.

Quift
May 11, 2012

A Strange Aeon posted:

This is awesome and fun. Is there anyone Jewish here that might try to decode the first myth,and then the second?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a Roman here who could decode Greco-Roman myths for us?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Is there a Roman here who could decode Greco-Roman myths for us?
Or someone from New Jersey. That should be close enough for some people ITT.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ynglaur posted:

Or someone from New Jersey. That should be close enough for some people ITT.

Yes hi, I grew up near Seventh Rome (Trenton) so I can totally discuss all the Roman myths we secretly worship.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Quift posted:

This is awesome and fun. Is there anyone Jewish here that might try to decode the first myth,and then the second?

Arrogant but naive Roman learns his lesson for doubting the authenticity of Jewish traditions, reaffirming their value within Roman society? Jews in the Roman world got a lot of grief from conservative talk radio for their ancestral customs (read: rejecting other gods) being antisocial and weird, the second part could be a response to that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm in the Met and I keep riving into these fundamentalist Christian tours called Oasis with tour guides giving infuriating interpretations of artifacts based on unrelated scripture. I'm in the Assyria gallery and the guy is explaining that Assyria sculpture represents antediluvian (literally) demons. Earlier a pair of iron age Greek swords were an allegory for something in the gospels. Frick! :mad:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm in the Met and I keep riving into these fundamentalist Christian tours called Oasis with tour guides giving infuriating interpretations of artifacts based on unrelated scripture. I'm in the Assyria gallery and the guy is explaining that Assyria sculpture represents antediluvian (literally) demons. Earlier a pair of iron age Greek swords were an allegory for something in the gospels. Frick! :mad:

There's a lot of money to be made in telling people what they want to hear.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

What's that jewish legend about the little rock king Solomon had that needed to be kept in a lead box because it destroyed wahtever was exposed to it.

Quift
May 11, 2012

Kellsterik posted:

Arrogant but naive Roman learns his lesson for doubting the authenticity of Jewish traditions, reaffirming their value within Roman society? Jews in the Roman world got a lot of grief from conservative talk radio for their ancestral customs (read: rejecting other gods) being antisocial and weird, the second part could be a response to that.

I did figure that out. I was wondering about the meaning of the original myth. The lion sounds like a metaphor for the assyrian empire, or the babylonian one. What is the n deer and what are they talking about?

The lion (now being used to symbolise the lion of juda instead) literally making the Roman toothless is quite fun though.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

What's that jewish legend about the little rock king Solomon had that needed to be kept in a lead box because it destroyed wahtever was exposed to it.

I don't know if this page on the Shamir is accurate, but it's entertaining reading (more entertaining than the less speculative Wikipedia article.. though that one does have a demon). Anyway, thanks for bringing up the subject.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 20, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It was sort of interesting hearing the history of Babylon spun through an oral tradition of a random tribe that may or may not have been in the area, filtered through an ancient book and then tortured into a bizzarro half-mythic alternate history noddingly agreed to by people halfway around the world who will never be impacted by Nebuchadnezzar or Darius. It's like seeing myth in action, I guess. I wonder how literally the Hebrews of the classical period took these stories.

Hard to forgive the "this is literally a sculpture of a demon from life" and "let's interpret these 400 BC Hellene artifacts in the context of the Gospel of Matthew" though.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

It was sort of interesting hearing the history of Babylon spun through an oral tradition of a random tribe that may or may not have been in the area, filtered through an ancient book and then tortured into a bizzarro half-mythic alternate history noddingly agreed to by people halfway around the world who will never be impacted by Nebuchadnezzar or Darius. It's like seeing myth in action, I guess. I wonder how literally the Hebrews of the classical period took these stories.

Hard to forgive the "this is literally a sculpture of a demon from life" and "let's interpret these 400 BC Hellene artifacts in the context of the Gospel of Matthew" though.

It's a powerful myth, and it persists through the modern age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDYAqz603TE

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Tunicate posted:

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I am unironically interested in more ancient Jewish mythology because that lion is loving boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Apropos of nothing, the Game Room has a game going where we're taking a stone age tribe into the industrial age. So if that sounds interesting to anyone:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3734730&pagenumber=5