Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

As with all things Forgotten Realms, it should be thrown away ASAP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Good to know.

There's also a bunch of Michael Crichton on there, but it's the Lost World and other stuff that isn't Jurassic Park.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

The Deleter posted:

The cafeteria at work has a small bookshelf where people leave books they've read. I wandered over to it today and found, to my surprise, a copy of Elminster.

Didn't make it past the first paragraph before I felt compelled to put it down. Correct decision?

Ed Greenwood wrote a story about a viking dude leading a slave revolt against dark elves, and somehow managed to make it incredibly boring.

R.A. Salvatore wouldn't have hosed up that premise, no sir.

Forums Terrorist posted:

alternatively perhaps kids should be encouraged to state the relative merits of their proposed course of action so people get why doing what they want would be better

Provided they also get told they are trash for trying to do so, for added realism. :iamafag:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

The Deleter posted:

Good to know.

There's also a bunch of Michael Crichton on there, but it's the Lost World and other stuff that isn't Jurassic Park.

I heard the Andromeda Strain was good. Never read it myself.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Helical Nightmares posted:

I thought Airframe was pretty good.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Helical Nightmares posted:

Andromeda Strain is a legit great late 60s sci-fi novel.

I really like Great Train Robbery as well, it's a Victorian England heist book and it's a lot of fun. It also got made into a movie starring Sean Connery and Donald Sutherland!

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Andromeda Strain is a legit great late 60s sci-fi novel.

I really like Great Train Robbery as well, it's a Victorian England heist book and it's a lot of fun. It also got made into a movie starring Sean Connery and Donald Sutherland!

Great Train Robbery is really fun, both the movie and the novel! I've also got a soft spot for The Terminal Man, in part because of how dated it is.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
I also recommend Eaters of the Dead, the Crichton novel on which The 13th Warrior was based.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Simian_Prime posted:

I also recommend Eaters of the Dead, the Crichton novel on which The 13th Warrior was based.

Eaters of the Dead is real good. It's creepy and funny and narrated by a haughty exiled Muslim stuck in with some Viking/Rus dudes in a historical fiction/sci-fi retelling of Beowulf. It rules.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

FishFood posted:

Eaters of the Dead is real good. It's creepy and funny and narrated by a haughty exiled Muslim stuck in with some Viking/Rus dudes in a historical fiction/sci-fi retelling of Beowulf. It rules.

The narrator is also based on a real historical figure who gave us some of the earliest records on vikings.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Rand Brittain posted:

It can't possibly be worse than the last few spellfire novels.
Wait they wrote sequels to Spellfire?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

NorgLyle posted:

Wait they wrote sequels to Spellfire?

Really bad ones, yes. Here, I will summarize:

quote:

RANDOM B-LIST VILLAIN FROM <INSERT EVIL ORGANIZATION 1>: "I must possess the power of spellfire! <Random D-List Villain>, capture Shandril Shessair and bring her to me!"

RANDOM D-LIST VILLAIN: "I hear and obey, master."

<ten pages of maneuvering>

SHANDRIL SHESSAIR used SPELLFIRE! It's super effective!

RANDOM D-LIST VILLAIN exploded!

RANDOM B-LIST VILLAIN FROM <INSERT EVIL ORGANIZATION 2>: "I must possess the power of spellfire! <Random D-List Villain, capture Shandril Shessair and bring her to me!"

<repeat>

This goes on more or less uninterrupted for two whole books until eventually it doesn't work and Shandril is the one who explodes, whereupon Mystra resurrects her as yet another unique magical being, because Mystra is a big believer in conserving intellectual property, so she's at least got one up on DC Comics.

(There's a continuing unintentional thing where Mystra gives people some kind of wondrous magical blessing, which results in them living the life of a hunted animal and then dying miserably when their luck gives out, because no blessing is good enough to hold out forever against the Realms' endless supply of card-carrying villains. See Secrets of the Magister for a few dozen more examples.)

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
There was a Forgotten Realms book about a swashbuckling thief/mage type, set in Ravens Bluff, that I remember enjoying even after leaving beyond the rest the licensed books.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Ed Greenwood, he loves cat houses (and I don't think he meant feline buildings).

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

FastestGunAlive posted:

There was a Forgotten Realms book about a swashbuckling thief/mage type, set in Ravens Bluff, that I remember enjoying even after leaving beyond the rest the licensed books.

I think the Forgotten Realms book I liked the most was the one where a bard in the Moonsea teamed up with a swordsman from Kara-Tur to find some magic cloth that was stolen from the latter's family.

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014
Best thing to do with a Forgotten Realms novel was the author bio that Paul Park wrote for his pseudonym:

quote:

Home-schooled in Kansas by Chinese missionaries, Paulina Claiborne has eschewed all subsequent education. Between the prison terms that punctuate her life, she has worked as a cook, a hairdresser, a life coach, a toxicologist, a freelance letter-opener, and a private surgeon. She has won several prestigious literary awards, including the Warden’s Special Prize for Model Servitude. She enjoys quilt making, knife fighting, and alcohol. For the past few years she has had no fixed address.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rand Brittain posted:

Really bad ones, yes. Here, I will summarize:

This goes on more or less uninterrupted for two whole books until eventually it doesn't work and Shandril is the one who explodes, whereupon Mystra resurrects her as yet another unique magical being, because Mystra is a big believer in conserving intellectual property, so she's at least got one up on DC Comics.

(There's a continuing unintentional thing where Mystra gives people some kind of wondrous magical blessing, which results in them living the life of a hunted animal and then dying miserably when their luck gives out, because no blessing is good enough to hold out forever against the Realms' endless supply of card-carrying villains. See Secrets of the Magister for a few dozen more examples.)

I like to imagine Mystra is pretty bored with being a goddess and this is how she makes her equivalent of TV.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I like to imagine Mystra is pretty bored with being a goddess and this is how she makes her equivalent of TV.
So what you're saying is that Mystra is the analogue of the Time Goddess from Half-Minute Hero?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Serf posted:

As with all things Forgotten Realms, it should be thrown away ASAP

We are no longer friends. :mad:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Best D&D novel in my opinion(at least of those I've read) is the Dragonlance novel Draconian Measures, followed by the first couple Greyhawk Adventures books, less on their merits as fine literature, and more for them being fun to read(most Forgotten Realms stuff I've read has been dreadfully boring and deserves to be forgotten)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Rise and Fall of a Dragon King is pretty good.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Arivia posted:

We are no longer friends. :mad:

I talk a lot of trash, but this has been on my shelf since the day I bought it:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

My favorite D&D auther was Richard A. Knaack. He wrote the legend of Huma and Kaz the Minotaur. I don't know how he holds up to my recollection, but back when I read books like that, and I read alot of bad Dragonlance books, he stood out

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

i think u mean

kaz the moenotaur

sorry not sorry

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Any time is a good time to talk about Benedict "Kazuhira" McDonnell Miller and his series of increasingly elaborate secret ocean hideouts

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Ningyou posted:

i think u mean

kaz the moenotaur

sorry not sorry

Would it be correct to be happy that I have no idea how that has any relation to what I used to read.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ningyou posted:

i think u mean

kaz the moenotaur

sorry not sorry
I am so mad that those posters are not in a period-appropriate art style.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Zereth posted:

I am so mad that those posters are not in a period-appropriate art style.

I'm mad those posters don't have period appropriate characters on them.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Isn't it supposed to be Paz?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yeah, which is a little creepy there Kaz.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well, Paz was an older woman only pretending to be a teenager, that makes it better! No it doesn't, Kaz

Though MGSV is 9 years later, so she wouldn't be a teenager anymore, at least.

Still, didn't she die in Ground Zeroes? (Haven't played MSGV, so maybe they had her somehow survive via plot bullshit) That makes it extra creepy I guess.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Still, didn't she die in Ground Zeroes? (Haven't played MSGV, so maybe they had her somehow survive via plot bullshit) That makes it extra creepy I guess.
She survived by them just kinda blatantly retconning the cutscene where she exploded, and kinda even calling attention to that they were doing that. She's got amnesia and I'm pretty sure she is not aware of the posters.

AND THE POSTERS ARE NOT PERIOD APPROPRIATE *angrily bangs fists on table*

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Zereth posted:

She survived by them just kinda blatantly retconning the cutscene where she exploded, and kinda even calling attention to that they were doing that. She's got amnesia and I'm pretty sure she is not aware of the posters.

AND THE POSTERS ARE NOT PERIOD APPROPRIATE *angrily bangs fists on table*
Ummmm... No. She's definitely dead in Phantom Pain. Its all an hallucination.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Way to spoil the poo poo out of a side-story they obviously haven't finished.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Tulpa posted:

Best thing to do with a Forgotten Realms novel was the author bio that Paul Park wrote for his pseudonym:

Paul Park wrote Forgotten Realms books? :what: That's just bizarre...

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Swagger Dagger posted:

Way to spoil the poo poo out of a side-story they obviously haven't finished.

To be fair, if you walk around the side of the building, she's in a room that doesn't physically exist, and there's the tape in Ground Zeroes where the guy is "yeah to fit the bomb we removed several organs she needs to live, she's got 24 hours max".

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
The best part of the whole Paz storyline is the idea of Galvez rocking out on a theremin.

But yeah, it would have been rad if they spent a couple thousand more of Konami's bucks to get Haruhiko Mikimoto to draw the posters.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

PublicOpinion posted:

To be fair, if you walk around the side of the building, she's in a room that doesn't physically exist, and there's the tape in Ground Zeroes where the guy is "yeah to fit the bomb we removed several organs she needs to live, she's got 24 hours max".
wellllllllllllllll i will never not be glad i didn't loving listen to the tapes in ground zeroes

also hallucination or no, that entire subplot in tpp feels weird and pandery and creepygratuitous in a way i'm not entirely sure how to articulate other than 'nooooooooooooope'

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ningyou posted:

wellllllllllllllll i will never not be glad i didn't loving listen to the tapes in ground zeroes
That's not even the worst thing on those.

Arguably, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

yeah no i know about The Thing with chico and paz and Ghoul Zorro let's maybe not talk about that bc it's gross

• Locked thread