Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

That Jeb! looks awful familiar...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

met Matt Bors, Matt Lubchansky, KC Green and Kate Beaton today

Also saw Tedd Ral but gently caress that guy am I right

Met those guys too plus Keith Knight and Peter Kuper; awesome people all.

I sat in on a little bit of the Comics Journalism panel with Rall, Bors, Kuper and Chris Kindred and was pleasantly surprised that Rall didn't try to commandeer it and make it all about being fired by the LA Times. From that and from what I saw at the booth, he really does seem like he can be pleasant in person (or at least knows when to rein it in).

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Are we sure that's a 4chan edit? I mean I didn't see any anti semitism

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Cuckservative is definitely A Thing on Conservative twitters and Breitbart I guess. I'm just waiting on it to pop up on FoxNews :allears:.

Breitbart and 4/8chan are increasingly close these days anyway with how much Milo courts the GamerGate crowd.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
:ughh:

:ughh::ughh::ughh:

Just :ughh: stretching into infinity.

Whoever says that a Black man is immediately tagged as being racist when he suggests America has a race problem is spot on.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Oh Mike, you never disappoint :allears:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Are they really choosing to acknowledge this rather than quietly pretending it didn't happen?

EDIT: I mean what is even the point he thinks he's making? What is a homemade clock made by a kid as a school project supposed to look like?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 20, 2015

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
These people realize that it wasn't actually a bomb, right? Like, is somewhere reporting that it was or something?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
I had no idea Uncle Sam was Jewish.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ManlyGrunting posted:

These people realize that it wasn't actually a bomb, right? Like, is somewhere reporting that it was or something?

https://theintercept.com/2015/09/18/prominent-anti-muslim-group-says-ahmed-mohameds-clock-resembles-ied-trigger-produced-iranians/

quote:

The Center for Security Policy, a think tank that routinely partners with prominent Republican politicians, including many of the current presidential contenders, is defending the arrest of 14-year-old Muslim high school student Ahmed Mohamed for bringing a homemade clock to school.

Americans across the country expressed outrage at the news that Mohamed was handcuffed by police officers in Irving, Texas, on Monday, suspended from his high school, and accused of making a bomb after the electronic components he had connected to make his own digital clock beeped during English class.

But Center for Security Policy vice president Jim Hanson argued on his organization’s podcast that the clock “looks exactly like a number of IED triggers that were produced by the Iranians and used to kill U.S. troops in the war in Iraq.” He said the clock “was half a bomb.”

Frank Gaffney, the center’s founder and president, agreed with Hanson, while suggesting that there is reason to be suspicious of “what we’re told was a clock” because “the story is not being fully explored and explained.”

FTGE

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Beeg posted:

Are you at Small Press Expo? Wanted to go there, but opted to go to Baltimore Comic Con, which will happen a week later, instead.

yeah

I live like 15 minutes away so figured why not

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Ceci n'est pas une clock.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

quote:

He said the clock “was half a bomb.”

In the since that anything is half a bomb when you attach a bomb to anything. My Eggo waffle is half a bomb, it's just missing the bomb part.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Ralepozozaxe posted:

In the since that anything is half a bomb when you attach a bomb to anything. My Eggo waffle is half a bomb, it's just missing the bomb part.

Well, he is right. It's a bomb but it's missing the explosives and detonator and everything else that would pose a danger to anyone.

Every clock is half a bomb. Ban this sick filth.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

I don't think I've ever been shocked by a political cartoon like this before. Surprised and angry, maybe, but never shocked. So ... kudos to Lester?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

That's a real masterful piece of car repair she must be doing with that claw hammer. What a mechanical genius!

I know Muir just had her use a hammer to set up the situation as an attempt at a joke, but does he and/or his audience know so little about cars?

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
I've been hammering nails into this loving car for months and it STILL won't run!!

The Copper Kaiser
Sep 6, 2010

I am a high-iq mentally retarded adult, and bring to bear on intellectual pursuits the demonic energy that characterizes my species!

This just now made realise that I react the exact same way to parodies as I do the real thing, with a chortle.

It took years and the process was slow but political cartoons has turned me into a soulless husk.

And I feel fine.

The Copper Kaiser fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 20, 2015

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Kraken posted:

Are they really choosing to acknowledge this rather than quietly pretending it didn't happen?

EDIT: I mean what is even the point he thinks he's making? What is a homemade clock made by a kid as a school project supposed to look like?

Like a timer and some wires in a briefcase held by hands significantly whiter than Ahmeds. And of course they have to spin this like it's some kind of cover up to say it was a clock. Racist hegemony is like a patent; you have to at least go through the motions of actively defending it on all fronts to maintain it.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Clocks moreso because you can wire up a clock to fire a detonator without you having to be there.

But you can do that with literally any automated system. It doesn't make a clock half a bomb, it makes certain bombs half clock.

What he basically said was "I can imagine that being made into a bomb and that scares me."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I can't believe people are actually trying to claim it was a bomb.

Aren't bombs supposed to...contain stuff that explodes?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Ban all cell phones because cell phones are often included in bombs, and arrest everyone who owns a cell phone.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
SOME GIZMO = half a bomb

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

VitalSigns posted:

I can't believe people are actually trying to claim it was a bomb.

Aren't bombs supposed to...contain stuff that explodes?

I mean, if we're being generous, they're probably inundated with filmic and television bombs that show little suitcases full of confusing wires and digital clocks, and if you're primed with that, it can be easy to see that in things. Not saying there's not a racist component to it, mind you. There obviously is with the arrest, the three day suspension, and the general lack of the benefit of the doubt or proper treatment they would almost certainly afford to a white kid, but I could understand how, if you've never seen an actual bomb and only fictional representations of them, you could think it was.

Edit: My original description of his suspension was off by about 69 hours.

Xanderkish fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 20, 2015

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

vyelkin posted:

Ban all cell phones because cell phones are often included in bombs, and arrest every Muslim who owns a cell phone.

FTFY

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I mean, the main thing is that the police who arrested him didn't even seem to think it was a bomb - they didn't evacuate the school, they didn't call the bomb squad, they didn't get people as far away from the "bomb" as possible...they even brought the clock with them in their police car for gently caress's sake.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

majormonotone posted:

I mean, the main thing is that the police who arrested him didn't even seem to think it was a bomb - they didn't evacuate the school, they didn't call the bomb squad, they didn't get people as far away from the "bomb" as possible...they even brought the clock with them in their police car for gently caress's sake.

Obviously they had to keep it secured and under guard in case the bomb tried to pull a fast one on them.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Xanderkish posted:

I mean, if we're being generous,

I'd be willing to be generous, but the version of events I heard, they never sent in a bombsquad to dispose of the "bomb", and they held the kid for those three hours without letting him see his parents or a legal representative when asked. gently caress this country :sigh:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Xanderkish posted:

I mean, if we're being generous, they're probably inundated with filmic and television bombs that show little suitcases full of confusing wires and digital clocks, and if you're primed with that, it can be easy to see that in things. Not saying there's not a racist component to it, mind you. There obviously is with the arrest, the three day suspension, and the general lack of the benefit of the doubt or proper treatment they would almost certainly afford to a white kid, but I could understand how, if you've never seen an actual bomb and only fictional representations of them, you could think it was.

Edit: My original description of his suspension was off by about 69 hours.

No no, I get thinking it might be if you're just an English teacher seeing it and all you know about bombs is from watching Jack Bauer in 2005.

I mean people like Lester who are still acting like he brought the Tsarnaev's pressure cooker bomb or was cutting people up with a box-cutter like 9/11

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Garrand posted:

I like the edit better.

No perks for Jeb!.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Oh gently caress you.
Guy who spent time looking for actual IEDs here and no they don't have giant seven-segment displays on them. This is so loving stupid.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Schools today, confusing our kids...when I was their age, we all knew exactly what bombs and terrorists looked like.

majormonotone posted:

Right, they thought that it might be a "Hoax Bomb" under the law, because the teacher who confiscated it called them and was all "hey maybe this is a bomb?"

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm#46.08 posted:

Sec. 46.08. HOAX BOMBS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person knowingly manufactures, sells, purchases, transports, or possesses a hoax bomb with intent to use the hoax bomb to:
(1) make another believe that the hoax bomb is an explosive or incendiary device; or
(2) cause alarm or reaction of any type by an official of a public safety agency or volunteer agency organized to deal with emergencies.
(b) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

You might think that seems to mean they should have arrested the teacher, but again, they only handcuffed and detained the fourteen year old technical genius for his own protection.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'm seeing a lot of "hoax bomb" talk, and their smoking gun is that the kid couldn't explain to their satisfaction why he built a clockbomb that only tells time and doesn't explode. I mean, he surely did explain why, just not to the satisfaction of the Jack Bauers that kept him from taking to his parents.

EFB erryday all day

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

VitalSigns posted:

No no, I get thinking it might be if you're just an English teacher seeing it and all you know about bombs is from watching Jack Bauer in 2005.

I mean people like Lester who are still acting like he brought the Tsarnaev's pressure cooker bomb or was cutting people up with a box-cutter like 9/11

Let's keep in mind the fact that this is a county wherein the highest court in the land populated by our most respected legal minds used 24 as pretext to justify torture.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

For whatever reason I'm mad Lester went for the stretch of "backpack" instead of the obvious "pressure cooker" but then again maybe it's for the best, since his whole cartoon such so strained it has stretch marks.

EDIT: Oh god, looking at the real clock just reminds me how people like Lester treat 24 as a documentary :psyduck:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

So that's what Lady Liberty looks like when she's not crying all the time

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
I'm a bit late to Garrisonchat, but I think it's worth noting that "cuckservative" is not only endemic to right-wing twitter, but more specifically to 'white genocide' right-wing twitter. The people who posit that moderate right (IE, anyone left of full-blown nazi nutjob) political parties are enabling the gradual erasure of white people. It's really interesting to see how it only takes a hop, skip, and a jump to get from /pol/'s wildest ravings to FOX's party line. It's even more interesting to note that the 'white genocide' cadre on twitter re-use the same 4 or 5 stale memes in all their arguments- much like their more politically cuckrect counterparts.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Rorus Raz posted:

EDIT: Oh god, looking at the real clock just reminds me how people like Lester treat 24 as a documentary :psyduck:

Wasn't there a judge who used the excuse "Well, Jack Bauer did it, and I wouldn't go against him" to explain his support of torture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

toanoradian posted:

Wasn't there a judge who used the excuse "Well, Jack Bauer did it, and I wouldn't go against him" to explain his support of torture?

Antonin "human shitstain" scalia.

• Locked thread