Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I suppose that makes sense. I just guess I feel like most of my trash clears these days are quake/summons/diaga/comet with casters with refresh RMs on them, and I generally only have one capable melee character at best. Not sure if that changes down the line or if it's a personal playstyle thing. The temptation to combine is strong though.

The only natural 5*s I've combined are my Zantetsukens and Genji Shields. The shields because they're crap and I'm just trying to decide which of my other character relics to augment. The Zans because I have 4 other 5* FFVI melee weapons (3 of them swords) and didn't need the extra. If you're rolling in relics from a particular realm or desperate for inventory space, maybe combine, otherwise keep them separate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Violet_Sky posted:

Can anybody help me? I got an error code 1014 at the title screen, so I uninstalled it. Now Google Play won't let me redownload the game. Halp. What do?

First of all, please tell me you used the "save" system and had your account tied to something else. :ohdear:

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I tied it to my google+ account.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Man, what is the point of all these generic core classes? I never use them, and just recently got this Dragoon. But I've had Kain forever who is a way cooler dude and looks almost identical anyway.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The core classes mostly exist to make you waste time grinding up useless characters for their extremely useful Record Materias. Many (but not all) core classes have Mana Spring type record materias for their class's skills. Then you have poor sods like Gladiator whose Memory Crystals are in hellhole dungeons (Dark Bahamut's dungeon for Gladiator) and who have lovely, lovely RMs (bonus axe damage and Attack become Charge for Gladiator).

Violet_Sky posted:

Can anybody help me? I got an error code 1014 at the title screen, so I uninstalled it. Now Google Play won't let me redownload the game. Halp. What do?

Try completely shutting off your phone then starting it back up again. From what I've seen, error 1014 is a general connection error of some sort and usually sorts itself out either after some time has passed or after an uninstall/turn off phone/turn on phone/reinstall cycle.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I suppose that makes sense. I just guess I feel like most of my trash clears these days are quake/summons/diaga/comet with casters with refresh RMs on them, and I generally only have one capable melee character at best. Not sure if that changes down the line or if it's a personal playstyle thing. The temptation to combine is strong though.

E: doesn't higher star gear also get incredibly better RS too?

There's definitely a playstyle element to it, but it also depends on what gear you've pulled. For example, I recently ran through the latest FF10 elites with a party of 4 melees and Eiko with Rallying Etude/Curaga. With that party I could cast the bard song and literally auto-battle through all the (difficulty ~100) trash, and the bosses melted pretty fast, too. But I've pulled some good FF10 weapons on top of the event sword. On the other hand, I've also been doing FF9 elites and since I've pulled basically no FF9 gear, my trash clearing relies on mages with BLM and SMN RM2.

Combining a 5* will add about 25-30 attack (or whatever the main stat is) to its RS stats. I combined my (FF13) Kaiser Knuckles and my Genji Shields and don't regret it, but those are both pretty bad 5* gear to begin with.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Zurai posted:

The core classes mostly exist to make you waste time grinding up useless characters for their extremely useful Record Materias. Many (but not all) core classes have Mana Spring type record materias for their class's skills. Then you have poor sods like Gladiator whose Memory Crystals are in hellhole dungeons (Dark Bahamut's dungeon for Gladiator) and who have lovely, lovely RMs (bonus axe damage and Attack become Charge for Gladiator).

I've been using Luneth with a 4* FFV Axe (because it's my best FFV weapon. I need that Bartz event), and I've been wishing I ground up Gladiator for his Axe boost.... not wishing very hard, because I have Self Sacrifice, but still. I did grind up Dragoon because he gets a mana spring-type for Jump abilities, which apparently become sorta useful eventually as a spellblade alternative.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
wasnt the event quests supposed to be out today?

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Nope the global flip switcher bungled the date. I got the notification three times. They are out this evening.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Did a second 50-pull this morning. Got a Katzbalger and a Thyrus. Guess I'm all set now.

Set Stoneskin II as my RW, now if only my followers list wasn't full of level 10 Judgement Grimoires.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo
When I had my RW set as Healing Grimoire, I got 5 or 6 summons a day, tops.

Set my RW to Stoneskin II the other day, woke up to 33 summons :stare:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

BlueArmyMan posted:

Heh, same, I got about 30-some summons when I switched from Healing Grimoire to Stoneskin II. Then today I woke up and had 6 again. Meh, no better or worse.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I get about as many summons with Medica II as I did with my level 35 D. Cecil with the Flame Sword

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

BlueArmyMan posted:

My SS II is getting 3-4 summons a day, stop stealing all my customers dude

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
The problem with Stoneskin is that everybody already has a million SG's on their list.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

KnoxZone posted:

The problem with Stoneskin is that everybody already has a million SG's on their list.

Yet my uses increased about five-fold, so I guess my people didn't.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Boon is getting me 10-25 summons a day depending on if it's a daily day like Tuesday which gets the lower amount or a EX/dungeon release day which gets the higher amount.

I could switch to Maser Eye some days but :effort:.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Days where people are guaranteed to be farming (black/power tuesday and exp sunday) I switch to shadow flare with synergy gear. Tends to be a nice little boost, not that I need the gil.

ps. Friend goons, we are 2 and a half weeks away from getting the extremely good + cool abilities steal armor and steal power. Don't craft/hone power or armor breakdown in the meantime, get by with protectga and boost. They are not worth the orbs at this time. Thank you.

Beasteh fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 20, 2015

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I've been getting the same amount of summons no matter what I offer - and I've had Trance Fira, Shadowflare, Boon, and now SSII available (I can also use LH but I need to level Red.)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Steal Power and Steal Armor are a lot cooler on paper than they are in practice; they're definitely great if you have a good Thief you want to bring anyway, but, for example, alternating Power Breakdown and Magic Breakdown (as you often want to do) is basically break even on damage with alternating Steal Power and Magic Breakdown.

Now, if you want to run multiple support types, one of whom is carrying, say, Steal Power and Pound, or Steal Power and Retaliate (only possible with Tyro, and... Not recommended) then yeah, Steal Power pulls ahead. Also if you only need one Breakdown (and if you put steal power and steal armor on one dude I will just laugh at you a whole lot.)

But in most cases, for the way most people will use it, Steal Power basically expands the number of characters that can apply a Breakdown level attack debuff, but generally won't be a huge improvement.

And as for Steal Armor... Whatever.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Steal Power is great if you're hasted or you've paired it with a high damage skill. Steal Armor is rear end.

EDIT: Also Steal Power isn't in the Vaan event. It's from Bartz's event IIRC.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Zurai posted:

Steal Power is great if you're hasted or you've paired it with a high damage skill. Steal Armor is rear end.

EDIT: Also Steal Power isn't in the Vaan event. It's from Bartz's event IIRC.

So is Steal Power the only thief ability really worth using? Steal Time, maybe?

Man, it's really tempting to try pulling on the XIV banner again, just for the character armors. For Thancred's armor, I desperately need light armor (or really any armor besides fuckin' shields, and maybe robes), the SB on it is easily the better of Thancred's two SBs, and it would definitely make him a better character if you already pulled his dagger. Y'shtola's robe has fantastic stats and an AoE heal, which I'd love to have. But I know I shouldn't press my luck with this banner, and there are a bunch of realms I really need gear in (V, VIII, IX, X, XII, XIII), so I must remain strong.... I guess... even if the other banners are crappier...

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Right now yeah, Steal Power is the reason to have a Thief. Though don't throw away your Steal Health you'll get from Vaan's event; you need a Steal ability to uncloak [Evil] Rubicante in Edge/Rosa's event, and Steal Health is the cheapest relevant Steal for that purpose.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Vaan's event (3 events away)

- Steal HP/Health (2* Thief, weaker Drain Strike)
- Steal Time (3* Thief, ???% Slow, self-Haste, no damage)
- Steal Armor (4* Thief, Armor Breakdown, self DEF+40%?, might be less, no damage)

Zidane's event (10 events away)

- Steal Power (4* Thief, Power Breakdown, self ATK+40%?, might be less, no damage)

Shadow's event (12 events away)

- Time Mug (5* Thief, Steal Time but with 250 attack potency)

And those are the only Thief abilities so far. For trivia nerds, here's how each job stacks up in JP:

Spellblade (17 abilities)
Knight (9 abilities)
Monk (8 abilities)
Ninja (7 abilities)
Dancer (7 abilities)
Bard (6 abilities)
Dragoon (5 abilities)
Thief (5 abilities)
Samurai (5 abilities)

pksage fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 21, 2015

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
So, when it comes to thieves vs breakdowns, which guys can use both supports and breakdowns? Like what good thieves are there in global now? I know Vaan will be good when we get him. But if the steals are only marginally better than breakdowns and support units are stronger than thieves, why use thieves or steals over supports with breakdowns?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

So, when it comes to thieves vs breakdowns, which guys can use both supports and breakdowns? Like what good thieves are there in global now? I know Vaan will be good when we get him. But if the steals are only marginally better than breakdowns and support units are stronger than thieves, why use thieves or steals over supports with breakdowns?

Only reason to use a thief with steal power over a support with power breakdown is if you're specifically not bringing armor/mental/magic breakdown; a Support/Thief with Steal Power/Magic Breakdown will do basically identical damage to a pure support with Power/Magic Breakdown.

Alternately, a Thief with, say Steal Power/Pound in a party that also has a 5* support carrying Armor Breakdown and Full Break. That's viable too, I guess.

That's what I mean when I say Steal Power is overrated.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Steal Power gets better the more often and harder the Thief can attack. So Haste, or Celerity skills, will tip the edge more to Steal Power.

Steal Power also get diminishing returns near the attack cap, but that's unlikely to happen without using Advance.

Tyro seems to be the only character that can do gimmicky stuff with the Steal X abilities outside of soloing. Zidane has both Thief and Knight abilities I guess.

Basically I'd consider bringing a Thief if 1. The boss counters physical damage and/or 2. I want to run both a Support and a Thief. For instance, I want to have Red run Magic Breakdown/Mental Breakdown, and Vaan can then run Power Steal.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 21, 2015

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

Like what good thieves are there in global now?

Locke will actually be pretty good with some steals and a MC. Vaan is about the same tier, but FF12-flavored. Balthier is a slightly stronger gun'sbraster than the supportbot versions (Irvine and Sazh). In Japan, Rikku and Zidane are pretty good.

Faris and Bartz blow them all out of the water by a country mile due to their other abilities. (Faris has Support 5*, Bartz has Spellblade 5*, both of them have Celerity 4*).

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 21, 2015

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Locke will actually be pretty good with some steals and a MC. Vaan is about the same tier, but FF12-flavored. Balthier is a slightly stronger gun'sbraster than the supportbot versions (Irvine and Sazh). In Japan, Rikku and Zidane are pretty good.

Faris and Bartz blow them all out of the water by a country mile due to their other abilities. (Faris has Support 5*, Bartz has Spellblade 5*, both of them have Celerity 4*).

Balthier has Spellblade 4 in Japan, for the record.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
This is my new favorite party:

Aerith: Used as a SMN/BLM. Planet Protector takes Thancred, Irvine and Steiner past the attack softcap. Devotion RM. Can also use Summoning Spring II to Valefor trash waves to death, but her damage output will suffer versus tough bosses. You kinda don't want to do this anyway, as it prevents you from having Soul Breaks charged and ready for boss fights.

Thancred: Uses Dancing Edge to kill the target's defense (and deal 20k damage), plus brings status ailments. Fraternal Knowledge RM with daggers, but can also use Viera Virtuoso with bows or SOLDIER Strike with swords to take advantage of realm synergy/range requirements. Fran, Kain and Vanille can also take his spot, if you have the appropriate relics.

Irvine: turns the target into swiss cheese with Fast Ammo (30-40k damage with PP/DE active). Master Sniper RM.

Steiner: Takes all the physical hits from trash and heals himself. Even capped at 50 with no RM, he's still very effective. Wish I had his Defender. Tyro and Golbez also work in this spot, but they can't properly take advantage of Aerith's Planet Protector.

Y'shtola: Brings the Stoneskin and Diaga, plus emergency heals if I screw something up. Using Concentration II RM to allow Curaja/Diaga to be used on trash waves, but can also use Prayer of the Cetra for more Diaga damage against harder content.

RW: Boon.

----------------

I'm just going to leave this here: Tanks are your best friend in Difficulty 80+ dungeons. You will unnecessarily drop medals if you don't have one. Steiner is awesome, as he can use Drain Strike to recover health while also dealing damage. Golbez can effectively do the same with Drain or Drainga.

Varance fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 21, 2015

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Varance posted:

This is my new favorite party:

Wombo Combo

Happy feet???

quote:

Y'shtola / Steiner / Irvine / Thancred / Aerith

That ain't Falco!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I forgot that this game existed.
Has anything cool or exciting happened in the last couple months?

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

:captainpop: how much have you spent on this nostalgic cash grab phone game, brother.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Beasteh posted:

:captainpop: how much have you spent on this nostalgic cash grab phone game, brother.

Less than I've spent on the nostalgic cash grab that is FF14. About half of my relics came from mythril pulls. Dropped a bunch of $$ on the FF14 banner and got what I want, so I'm done spending for a while.

Keep in mind that I'm a Day 1 player. That's a couple hundred mythril advantage over someone who started recently.

Also had some awesome luck on those particular relics, which is why I set out to put together this particular squad.

Varance fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 21, 2015

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Varance posted:

Less than I've spent on the nostalgic cash grab that is FF14.

Are you running 8 retainers and buying Sleipnir for multiple accounts or something? It's hard to spend more than the subscription fee on FF14.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

pksage posted:

Are you running 8 retainers and buying Sleipnir for multiple accounts or something? It's hard to spend more than the subscription fee on FF14.

Why yes, I do enjoy riding through the countryside on Sleipnir with Odin's theme playing in the background. :black101:

Edit: Also remember that you have to buy FF14 a second/third time if you play on multiple platforms. Those extra licenses add up...

-------------------------

I've been playing since day one, so that's a couple hundred mythril from events that recent players don't have. Cleared all normal and most elite dungeons as well (at 112 stam). As I mentioned in my whaling post earlier, I generally don't do 11-pulls and cut my losses early when I do. The main difference is that I'm lucky as hell with my pulls. I've gotten 5 character relics (Garnet, Tyro, Aerith, Irvine and Rydia) off of single 1/3-pulls. Got a double One-Winged Angel drop during the soul break bonanza.

The only relic I ever whaled hard on was Y'shtola's staff, and that was more sentimental than anything (that was my staff in 14:ARR). First try got a Healer's Robe + Zantetsuken. Second pull dropped a Lominsan Bow + The Keeper of Saints. Third pull dropped another Healer's Robe and a Thunder Staff (FF4, bonus Thunder damage). Fourth pull... well... jackpot.

Just for shits and giggles, here's my character pool:

Varance fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 21, 2015

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Minus Fighter, that's the same pool of tiny FF sprites that I got. Here's how much I care about not having Fighter in my roster:

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I did the event quests. Not too hard. Mostly the last boss was just a slog with only 4 in the party.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

I did the event quests. Not too hard. Mostly the last boss was just a slog with only 4 in the party.

And in a few days there will be two more event quests for the +/++ battles. I can't imagine that will be fun, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Ifrit won't be that bad aside fron Thancred being kinda lovely for us right now (and forever, I guess).

• Locked thread