Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Agoat posted:

Do you guys have any tips for speeding up a Samsung Galaxy Alpha? It's been a little slow lately. I clear my running applications very often.

A factory reset should clear it right up as long as it's a software issue and not a problem with failing hardware. If you don't want to go through the trouble of restoring all your apps and such, you can always try thinking back to what changes you made just before the slowdown began and undo them, like maybe one of your apps was recently updated and is now hogging your resources.

Really though, a factory reset should clear everything right up, but I know Android's back up and restore solution is a real pain in the rear end at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I wandered into Swappa's One Plus 2 listings just out of curiosity.

There are like 200 for sale. Nobody wants the thing (shocker, I know).

Biggest flop ever, comin' right up! If you are remotely interested, aggressively lowball every listing. You'll get a deal on a piece of junk if that's your thing.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Desk Lamp posted:

A factory reset should clear it right up as long as it's a software issue and not a problem with failing hardware. If you don't want to go through the trouble of restoring all your apps and such, you can always try thinking back to what changes you made just before the slowdown began and undo them, like maybe one of your apps was recently updated and is now hogging your resources.

Really though, a factory reset should clear everything right up, but I know Android's back up and restore solution is a real pain in the rear end at the moment.

How much free space do you have? My 16gb Moto G would noticeably slow down when I got under 3gb free.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

withoutclass posted:

My nexus 6 has felt like dogshit since the security update. Wifi disconnecting all the time, super laggy returning to home screen.

Having similar issues with WiFi which may also be be causing severe battery drain as I can't make it through a work day anymore. On the plus side, Bluetooth seems to work a lot better with my crappy car stereo.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Not having any issues here with it. Little bit of Google Services burning more battery than normal but that probably had to do with adding Android Pay, didn't do it the day after. Might try factory resetting if it gets too bad?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
For the last month or so I've been using a very crappy lg phone because my z3c got broken. I was waiting for the z5c but Sony has priced those absolutely ridiculously so I'm not going to get one, even with the 20% discount. What other options are there at the moment that are good? Looking at around $400-500 preferably. Worth waiting another few weeks for the new nexus? I really want to get rid of this pos lg, its unusably bad.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Desk Lamp posted:

Wiping the cache partition does the trick on my Moto X. My (completely uneducated) guess is that the app updates clog up my measly 16gb with hidden files during installation, so deleting this every 2 months keeps my phone nice and fast.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

For the last month or so I've been using a very crappy lg phone because my z3c got broken. I was waiting for the z5c but Sony has priced those absolutely ridiculously so I'm not going to get one, even with the 20% discount. What other options are there at the moment that are good? Looking at around $400-500 preferably. Worth waiting another few weeks for the new nexus? I really want to get rid of this pos lg, its unusably bad.

Latest Moto G?

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Rusty! posted:

Has the LMY48M update hosed anyone else's Nexus 5 up? It seems to have brought the old memory leak back for me.

I've had to restart my phone once since updating because of a memory leak. Since then it's been fine, but it may just not have had enough time for it to do it again.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

hotsauce posted:

I wandered into Swappa's One Plus 2 listings just out of curiosity.

There are like 200 for sale. Nobody wants the thing (shocker, I know).

Biggest flop ever, comin' right up! If you are remotely interested, aggressively lowball every listing. You'll get a deal on a piece of junk if that's your thing.

They are all selling above retail. People bought it solely to flip it.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

They are all selling above retail. People bought it solely to flip it.

They are listed all over the place, but not a single one has sold for a profit. The highest recently sold was $412, of which the seller only gets $402 and has to eat PayPal and shipping costs. The thing costs $389 to begin with, so every one that has actually sold was at a loss. People are hoping but it will be virtually impossible to make money on this POS.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

What size are you looking at? The Moto X starts at $400, and is a fantastic phone if you don't mind the huge jump up in size from your Z3C. Nexus launches are usually pretty screwed up in terms of inventory, so it might be more than a few weeks before you have one in hand.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

hotsauce posted:

They are listed all over the place, but not a single one has sold for a profit. The highest recently sold was $412, of which the seller only gets $402 and has to eat PayPal and shipping costs. The thing costs $389 to begin with, so every one that has actually sold was at a loss. People are hoping but it will be virtually impossible to make money on this POS.

Lol at the people trying to sell for $600. Why yes a $200+ mark up over retail and $200 more than most sellers good luck with that.

Flippers are scum so I hope they all take a bath

SpitefulHammer
Dec 27, 2012
My Z3C has broken for the 2nd time (only had it back from repair about a month) the headphone socket and touch controls for the top half of the screen have stopped working. I believe I remember hearing about it having something to do with Sony's lovely Smart Connect app. Anyway, I've had enough of the Z3C and am going back to Motorola. Don't want to spend too much though so need help choosing between the new Moto G or the Moto X Play (I'm in the UK.)

Thoughts?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I'm liking the new moto g and all, but i swear i had the ability to turn off images in chrome last month. :confused:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

SpitefulHammer posted:

My Z3C has broken for the 2nd time (only had it back from repair about a month) the headphone socket and touch controls for the top half of the screen have stopped working. I believe I remember hearing about it having something to do with Sony's lovely Smart Connect app. Anyway, I've had enough of the Z3C and am going back to Motorola. Don't want to spend too much though so need help choosing between the new Moto G or the Moto X Play (I'm in the UK.)

Thoughts?

I came from the Z3c to the G and love it. Don't hesitate, its a $220 gamble you won't lose.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Moto G is not universal, right? The ATT+t-mo version won't work on verizon?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ilkhan posted:

Moto G is not universal, right? The ATT+t-mo version won't work on verizon?

Correct. There is no Verizon version of the current G. Only an ATT+T Mobile one and a Sprint/Virgin/US Cellular one.

For Verizon your cheap phone option is the E which uses the same SoC as the G but with a lower resolution screen.

Verizon will be getting a version of the Play soon which is rumored to be about $350, so they probably felt there wasn't enough market between the E and the Play to support the G.

SpitefulHammer
Dec 27, 2012

TraderStav posted:

I came from the Z3c to the G and love it. Don't hesitate, its a $220 gamble you won't lose.

Yeah, I think I will. There doesn't seem to be many Moto X Play owners and reaction seems to be a little mixed so will probably go with the G.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

SpitefulHammer posted:

Yeah, I think I will. There doesn't seem to be many Moto X Play owners and reaction seems to be a little mixed so will probably go with the G.

I tried going from the z3c to the moto g and hated it. Enjoy your ridiculously bulky phone! I think the g is the thickest phone made in the last year.

END OF AN ERROR fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 21, 2015

SpitefulHammer
Dec 27, 2012
I kind of like the curved backs on Motorolas though, always found it more comfortable than the angular and slippery feel of the Z3C. I will miss its battery life though.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SpitefulHammer posted:

I kind of like the curved backs on Motorolas though, always found it more comfortable than the angular and slippery feel of the Z3C. I will miss its battery life though.

I do need to admit that the smooth transition from bamboo back to aluminium edge of the frame of the X Pure makes me deathly afraid I'll drop it at any second. I'm using the cheapo plastic bumper that came with it just to feel safe and thankfully it isn't terribly intrusive, but for some reason it just feels slippery without the bumper. And the bumper's glossy plastic, it isn't like it adds any measure of grippy texture. The aluminum is matte so it's probably grippier than the plastic. It's weird. I can use it one handed without difficulty, so it isn't carnyhands syndrome, it's weird.

E: I used to have an N5, which had that rubberized-ish backing so maybe it's just having to get used to a different material or something.

No griptape, though. Never griptape.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 21, 2015

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah the slim aluminum sides of the Pure make it hard to grip. Mostly fine in daily usage but if you're on the couch it gets difficult.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

FAUXTON posted:

I do need to admit that the smooth transition from bamboo back to aluminium edge of the frame of the X Pure makes me deathly afraid I'll drop it at any second. I'm using the cheapo plastic bumper that came with it just to feel safe and thankfully it isn't terribly intrusive, but for some reason it just feels slippery without the bumper.
People have complained here about the bamboo back before (on previous X models). The plastic back is better, I think.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Soo... my wife's uncle was showing some videos he took of my kids while they were watching them this weekend on his iPhone 6+ and I have to say I had real envy for that damned camera/screen. The video was amazing. I have heard that the best run of phones with top cameras are the Samsungs, do they actually rival (in real world usage, not just bloggers opinions) or at least compare to the iPhone? I really don't want to go to iOS but that was really impressive.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

TraderStav posted:

Soo... my wife's uncle was showing some videos he took of my kids while they were watching them this weekend on his iPhone 6+ and I have to say I had real envy for that damned camera/screen. The video was amazing. I have heard that the best run of phones with top cameras are the Samsungs, do they actually rival (in real world usage, not just bloggers opinions) or at least compare to the iPhone? I really don't want to go to iOS but that was really impressive.
Sony makes the iPhone camera sensor so you might look at the Xperia line. Samsung and LG also have exceptional cameras in their flagship phones.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

TraderStav posted:

I have heard that the best run of phones with top cameras are the Samsungs, do they actually rival (in real world usage, not just bloggers opinions) or at least compare to the iPhone? I really don't want to go to iOS but that was really impressive.

"Samsung has taken slightly tweaked the setup used for the Note 4 and dropped it into the S6. As a result you can still take sharp, vibrant images quickly and then get them shared on Twitter and Facebook in no time. HDR is still a standout feature here as well, while the addition of optical image stabilisation means you get a helping hand in low-light conditions. While it doesn't entirely eradicate the image noise, you can grab clearer, more rewarding results... On the whole, these are two fantastic cameras. If taking photos in more challenging lighting conditions is something you value more, the S6 is for you." - Trustedreviews

"On the whole, the S6 holds its own against the iPhone, and we wouldn't hesitate for a second to use it as our primary smartphone camera." - The Verge

"Both devices now perform superbly as cameras, and both have their own particular strengths and weaknesses. In terms of which is the better to purchase, it is necessary to pay heed to what one actually wants from the camera. Many consider the iPhone 6 to be the superior photography device, however the Galaxy S6 produces superior color quality. " - valuewalk

"Both phones have very impressive rear sensors, but the level of detail on the iPhone 6 does leave a little to be desired compared to the Galaxy S6." - expertreviews

"suffice to say that the Galaxy S6 offers the first genuine rival to the iPhone range on the camera front in years. It's arguably the more sophisticated camera, too, with more functions and options for advanced shooters." - techradar

"We won’t beat around the bush: the Galaxy Note 5 is the clear winner here. It’s almost not even a contest in most cases. We’re not saying the gap between the two phones is wide, but the Note 5 clearly bests its iPhone rival" - BGR

"Even though the iPhone 6 Plus has OIS technology, we still give this one to the Galaxy Note 5. The extra megapixels, coupled with the amount of features Samsung has pushed onto the camera, will make for a better photo and video experience." - betanews

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Probably worth waiting a couple days to see how the 6s and 6s+'s camera reviews.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

Sony makes the iPhone camera sensor so you might look at the Xperia line. Samsung and LG also have exceptional cameras in their flagship phones.

I came from the Z3c and it's no contest between that and an iPhone.

Thanks, appreciate the roundup. I wonder if it was the OIS that really set it apart as the i6 does not have it. Shame that the Note5 doesn't, I imagine the S6 doesn't?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

After the lollipop update for my 2013 VZW Moto x, the Wi-Fi stops working randomly and I have to toggle it to get it working again. This happens at least once a day. Today I've had to toggle it 3 times already.

I have no other issues.

But this is getting really annoying.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Doctor Butts posted:

After the lollipop update for my 2013 VZW Moto x, the Wi-Fi stops working randomly and I have to toggle it to get it working again. This happens at least once a day. Today I've had to toggle it 3 times already.

I have no other issues.

But this is getting really annoying.

This is just one of the many issues I experience with lollipop on my 2013 Moto X.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Syrinxx posted:

The camera app matters too though I think. I have a Z2 which I bought at the time ( when it was first released ) because I figured they ( Sony ) make all the sensors so they must have the best pictures right? I suppose might have an older module, but unless I'm taking a standing-still full daylight picture, the picture quality is rear end using Auto ( point and shoot ) settings.

Maybe if I used the manual settings and took the time to adjust the ISO & white balance etc maybe low-light ( I hesitate to use that term - because any light other than outside full daylight from late morning to early evening is "low light" ) pictures would be better. However considering most people ( me ) just want a point and shoot, that should be something to consider.

I don't know if that is because of the software, I suppose it must be because otherwise why would the same sensor take different pictures in multiple devices.

TL;DR - Ironically Sony phones do not take the best pictures using their own sensors

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 21, 2015

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
With the Z3 Compact starting to show its age/not really getting any cheaper for said age, and the Z5 Compact being gently caress Off Expensive, is there anything in the small form factor that's worth a poo poo? I've always heard stay off of Samsung if it's not the two main phone lines, so I'm less than thrilled to go with the S5 Mini or Galaxy Alpha.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Thermopyle posted:

This is just one of the many issues I experience with lollipop on my 2013 Moto X.

My Bluetooth audio completely stopped working over the weekend. It connects, but no sound comes out. Tried on four different speakers with the same result.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Super Dude posted:

My Bluetooth audio completely stopped working over the weekend. It connects, but no sound comes out. Tried on four different speakers with the same result.

Does audio come out of your phone when not connected to Bluetooth, or is it silent? If the latter, there might be stuff in your headphone jack fooling the phone into thinking that you have headphones connected.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

TollTheHounds posted:

The camera app matters too though I think. I have a Z2 which I bought at the time ( when it was first released ) because I figured they ( Sony ) make all the sensors so they must have the best pictures right? I suppose might have an older module, but unless I'm taking a standing-still full daylight picture, the picture quality is rear end using Auto ( point and shoot ) settings.

Maybe if I used the manual settings and took the time to adjust the ISO & white balance etc maybe low-light ( I hesitate to use that term - because any light other than outside full daylight from late morning to early evening is "low light" ) pictures would be better. However considering most people ( me ) just want a point and shoot, that should be something to consider.

I don't know if that is because of the software, I suppose it must be because otherwise why would the same sensor take different pictures in multiple devices.

TL;DR - Ironically Sony phones do not take the best pictures using their own sensors

I agree with the entirety of this, but would like to add that when and if Camera2.apk is ever implemented, this would become a thing of the past.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
The LG G4 camera is crazy good. The pictures I took on it looked better than the ones I took on my Note 4, though the Note 4's are not bad at all.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Super Dude posted:

I have this happen and usually a few restarts and toggling airplane mode a few times gets it back to working for a while.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="450507543"]
The LG G4 camera is crazy good. The pictures I took on it looked better than the ones I took on my Note 4, though the Note 4's are not bad at all.

Yeah if I don't hear anything soon about the Blackberry or Nexuses I'm going to pull the trigger on a G4.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Does audio come out of your phone when not connected to Bluetooth, or is it silent? If the latter, there might be stuff in your headphone jack fooling the phone into thinking that you have headphones connected.

The phone speaker and headphones work fine, just not Bluetooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

TollTheHounds posted:

Yeah if I don't hear anything soon about the Blackberry or Nexuses I'm going to pull the trigger on a G4.

The Nexus event is Sept. 29.

I don't know if Blackberry is going to have an event but it's basically 100% leaked to be launching in November.