Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Nasgate posted:

That's a lot of words trying to make a logical business/fun decision seem bad.

Yeah let's make a game less accessible to audiences so less people can have fun with it.

you're an idiot hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Hot Tips: Player Agency isn't real, and Bethesda doesn't give a poo poo about the handful of raging mouth-breathers who will refuse to play their game because it isn't a top-down isometric menu-simulator thanks to the throngs of people they attract with a more accessible format and mechanics. hth

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

CASUALS!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Goddamn console players, always ruining the UI for the master race :argh:

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

xf86enodev posted:

Have they said anything about PVP servers, yet?

Yeah, they're coming alongside LAN support.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Magmarashi posted:

Hot Tips: Player Agency isn't real, and Bethesda doesn't give a poo poo about the handful of raging mouth-breathers who will refuse to play their game because it isn't a top-down isometric menu-simulator thanks to the throngs of people they attract with a more accessible format and mechanics. hth

This is true, and I think we're all fooling ourselves if we really think that if it was our job to manufacture a product we would really choose quality over mass appeal.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
Can't wait to play this game on my PS4 with a controller. Hope they dumb it down enough for me at the expense of all the crybaby nerd PC players

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

the great deceiver posted:

Can't wait to play this game on my PS4 with a controller. Hope they dumb it down enough for me at the expense of all the crybaby nerd PC players

I can't wait to get it on the PC and put horse vaginas UI fixes on everything

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like fallout I think it is a fun game and also lots of other people like it which I am happy about.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

OwlFancier posted:

I like fallout I think it is a fun game and also lots of other people like it which I am happy about.

I like Fallout because I can solve everything with drugs in some way. Like in a modded Fallout 3, this was my status post-Super Duper Mart:

What's worse is, that feels like a very plausible drug cocktail IRL.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

2house2fly posted:

This is true, and I think we're all fooling ourselves if we really think that if it was our job to manufacture a product we would really choose quality over mass appeal.

That specific choice isn't between quality or mass appeal. It's between mass appeal and :spergin: appeal.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
All I really want from Fallout 4 is for the main story to not feel like they ran out of time 2/3 of the way through, like Skyrim's civil war plot.

Lurken
Nov 10, 2012

widespread posted:

I like Fallout because I can solve everything with drugs in some way. Like in a modded Fallout 3, this was my status post-Super Duper Mart:

What's worse is, that feels like a very plausible drug cocktail IRL.

What mod is this?

Shroud
May 11, 2009

FronzelNeekburm posted:

All I really want from Fallout 4 is for the main story to not feel like they ran out of time 2/3 of the way through, like Skyrim's civil war plot.

I don't know, the tens of people that sacrificed their lives in a continent-wide civil war really made the story hit home for me.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Lurken posted:

What mod is this?

Better Living Through Chems for Fallout 3; Drugs Are Bad Mkay for New Vegas

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Shroud posted:

I don't know, the tens of people that sacrificed their lives in a continent-wide civil war really made the story hit home for me.

Nothing says "civil war" quite like a series of one-man incursions.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Lurken posted:

What mod is this?

FWE mod for Fallout 3. There's a shitload of other stuff in it, too. But mainly the idea of doing PCP, coke, and Xanax at once sits very well with me.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Magmarashi posted:

While you're right about player agency, replay value and minority content are real and there's a correlation between the two. If there's stuff only 20% of players will see, that means 80% of players have a reason to play through again to see it. If you can be king of the thieves, the archmage, the lead fighter werewolf, and the capo of the assassin crew, what's the point of ever playing again? If a door opens another should shut at least every once in a while or else the room will get real drafty.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Replayability is a non-factor from a development point of view. A. It won't make any more money B. A large chunk of users don't even finish tutorials, so why make starting over a thing when starting in the first place is apparently difficult enough.

Personally I'm glad they've mostly gotten rid of preventing you from doing stuff. Why would I want to start from scratch again just to hear another quest line of terrible writing when I could do the same content with a character I've already invested many hours into.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

frajaq posted:

Goddamn console players, always ruining the UI for the master race :argh:

I really don't understand people who think like this. Don't blame the console players, it's fun and they're fine. Blame the lazy dev that doesn't do poo poo to adapt it to PC. But yeah, they don't care about bitching at all so long as the :10bux: keeps flowing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Somehow both the controller and mouse implementation suck for NV (and 3, I think) on PC. Mouse acceleration is on by default, and aiming is loose with a gamepad.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Every time somebody mentions "lazy devs" it makes me unreasonably angry because anybody who says that has no idea about the complexity, pressures and hard work involved in writing software to a deadline.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ilustforponydeath posted:

God I dread how pc players will interact with that UI

with an xbox 360 controller

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Rinkles posted:

Somehow both the controller and mouse implementation suck for NV (and 3, I think) on PC. Mouse acceleration is on by default, and aiming is loose with a gamepad.

Yeah. It feels like they got it the wrong way round.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Morrowind was based around giving the player as much freedom as possible to play with the game rules, which is great until you realise that means making a potion that makes you better at making potions at level 1 is a thing that rapidly spirals into the player becoming a flying demi-god spitting mini-nuke fireballs everywhere within five minutes of the game starting.

The actual best thing that came from Fallout 3 was Bethesda realising that a perk system is the most fun way to level up characters.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Alchenar posted:

Morrowind was based around giving the player as much freedom as possible to play with the game rules, which is great until you realise that means making a potion that makes you better at making potions at level 1 is a thing that rapidly spirals into the player becoming a flying demi-god spitting mini-nuke fireballs everywhere within five minutes of the game starting.

The actual best thing that came from Fallout 3 was Bethesda realising that a perk system is the most fun way to level up characters.

I mean, I get what you meant by this, but the Morrowind thing sounds amazing. v:shobon:v

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Mr Cuddles posted:

Every time somebody mentions "lazy devs" it makes me unreasonably angry because anybody who says that has no idea about the complexity, pressures and hard work involved in writing software to a deadline.

Maybe people would be able to understand all those things if Bethesda had any idea about doing basic things (like modifying the UI to actually match the control scheme of different platforms) instead of relying on its modders to do their jobs for them while taking their money for it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I mean, I get what you meant by this, but the Morrowind thing sounds amazing. v:shobon:v

It is, but only for a few minutes as you marvel at the novelty of having completely broken the system. That's not so good in an open-world game you are supposed to spend hours exploring.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Alchenar posted:

It is, but only for a few minutes as you marvel at the novelty of having completely broken the system. That's not so good in an open-world game you are supposed to spend hours exploring.

This reminds me of back in the day when people would grind up levels in order to utterly destroy everyone in front of them. Well there was one game (I can't remember, but it wasn't Oblivion) where if you played the game more or less normally you'd be fine, but it had level scaling so if you grinded up a whole bunch then you would have a terrible time.

A lot of people got mad that the devs were "being bullshit" and making a "too difficult" game.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

computer parts posted:

This reminds me of back in the day when people would grind up levels in order to utterly destroy everyone in front of them. Well there was one game (I can't remember, but it wasn't Oblivion) where if you played the game more or less normally you'd be fine, but it had level scaling so if you grinded up a whole bunch then you would have a terrible time.

A lot of people got mad that the devs were "being bullshit" and making a "too difficult" game.

Oblivion had level scaling, but it also still had Morrowind's levelling system based off picking 'major skills' that determined when you levelled. So getting really good at Alchemy if you picked Alchemy as a class skill would replace all the wolves in the forests with trolls.

Skyrim's system is by far the best of everything tried so far.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.

CrazyLoon posted:

Maybe people would be able to understand all those things if Bethesda had any idea about doing basic things (like modifying the UI to actually match the control scheme of different platforms) instead of relying on its modders to do their jobs for them while taking their money for it.

Bethesda make good games that sell well and are enhanced by mods.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

computer parts posted:

I know FF8 had a thing where monsters pretty much leveled twice as fast as you, so the best way to beat the game was at the lowest level possible. Which, thanks to the ability to junction magic to your stats making you god like while still being low level made it entirely overpowered.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

ohgod the Morrwind fans woke up, why

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Bholder posted:

ohgod the Morrwind fans woke up, why

best combat system
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNXYrAkUntU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I can't wait for Bethesda to have listened to that role playing guy and you have to fire a gun apparently 1000 times in practice fire before you can even reliably start to train to hit live enemies with the beginning pistol.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

CrazyLoon posted:

lmao where did bethesda touch you

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

What's an example of a big RPG that had a decent UI? One that works well with a controller or KBM and scales well between TV and monitor resolutions?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

While you're right about player agency, replay value and minority content are real and there's a correlation between the two. If there's stuff only 20% of players will see, that means 80% of players have a reason to play through again to see it. If you can be king of the thieves, the archmage, the lead fighter werewolf, and the capo of the assassin crew, what's the point of ever playing again? If a door opens another should shut at least every once in a while or else the room will get real drafty.

Unlike Elder Scrolls, Bethesda actually did do the whole 'one choice cuts off the other' thing in Fallout 3. It's just that the second choice was usually 'be comically evil for literally no reason' and generally gave you a worse outcome.

Except selling that one kid into slavery and telling him his explosive collar was a special present. That was pretty good times.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

FutonForensic posted:

What's an example of a big RPG that had a decent UI? One that works well with a controller or KBM and scales well between TV and monitor resolutions?

Morrowind
Deus Ex
Witcher 3
Hamburger Jones Presents: "Breakfast in Deutschland"
Dark Souls
Even Super Mario RPG, which never even had a KB+M setup on its original platform (SNES)--yet somehow I can play the game on an emulator with KB+M without having to do anything; it must have been buried in the game's code?

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

frajaq posted:

lmao where did bethesda touch you

Nowhere and I still play some of their games (probably will this one). I just won't add to their pre-order/early sales figures that every company covets so much, because until those mods come out it's not worth it.

• Locked thread