Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

waitwhatno posted:

The Turkites, the CIS Slavs and the YugoTRANS Slavs

thank you very much

also nice fanfiction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Not sure if I posted this when it happened, but you'll remember the Syrian refugee that was tripped by a reporter in Hungary or w/e. Well he made it to Spain and got a job there as a football coach. Now Real Madrid did a big thing in support of him as part of a larger campaign about refugees, which is really cool.

Here he is meeting Ronaldo

And here's his son, who got to be one of the kids who walks out with the players at the beginning of the game.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 19, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Sinnlos posted:

"The welcome was very touching," said Syrian refugee Mohammed Abdullahi, tearing up, "the gas made it really feel like home."
I admit, even if this isn't real, I laughed. Then I felt terrible.

Volkerball posted:

Not sure if I posted this when it happened, but you'll remember the Syrian refugee that was tripped by a reporter in Hungary or w/e. Well he made it to Spain and got a job there as a football coach. Now Real Madrid did a big thing in support of him as part of a larger campaign about refugees, which is really cool.

And here's his son, who got to be one of the kids who walks out with the players at the beginning of the game.

This is legitimately cool to see.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Volkerball posted:

This is the kind of thing that reminds me to not quite give up on humanity yet.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
Genocidal Magyars try to poison refugees with non-Brioche sandwiches:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Even by your standards that is a low-quality shitpost.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Food that is kept cold should not be kept at room temperature for more than four hours. Then it must be thrown out.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

"So let's make sure they don't get any of it" is not a reasonable or moral response to the realization that your standard of living and appetite for luxuries are unsustainable.
Your moralizing is tired and pointless because you refuse to commit to any thing concrete. Which is it, is your position that full worldwide communism now, with all resources distributed according to need, is the only moral solution, or will you explain why Europe is morally obligated to help this group of suffering people but not others?

Volkerball posted:

Of course a company owned by the UAE wants to encourage the refugees to go to Europe :ssh:

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 19, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Dead Reckoning posted:

Your moralizing is tired and pointless because you refuse to commit to any thing concrete. Which is it, is your position that full worldwide communism now, with all resources distributed according to need, is the only moral solution, or will you explain why Europe is morally obligated to help this group of suffering people but not others?

Of course a company owned by the UAE wants to encourage the refugees to go to Europe :ssh:

Actually, that story is good, and by gabbling about the semites you've established yourself in opposition to its goodness. Thus your constant complaints about "moralizing".

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Dead Reckoning posted:

Where have they stated another group are not worthy of moral obligation to be helped?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

That's not a good reason to send people showing up at your doorstep back to die in a war, and I doubt very much you apply this standard every time you consider helping someone. The reason there's a moral obligation to house refugees is because the alternative is directly banishing hundreds of thousands of people to die.

I can donate to the Red Cross without going :goonsay:"Well why should I donate to them and not others, now I'm logically compelled to give away all my money and sell my organs to raise more." Europe can house people who are showing up on their shores, they don't have to wait for a grand Century Plan to fix all ills of the world first, that's ludicrous.

I'm not even moralizing here, your standards are just totally illogical.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Narciss posted:

Genocidal Magyars try to poison refugees with non-Brioche sandwiches:

I too use facebook as my primary news source.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

It's not immoral, it's just going to hilariously backfire because people just aren't going to sacrifice much even if you call them racist a bunch of times. This will lead to a surge in the right wing and ultimately regressive policies for everyone.

Well I don't think we should just go around calling random people racist, that doesn't seem very helpful.

Europe should ignore the neo-Nazis and provide the new arrivals with education and housing and job training so they have economic opportunity and don't become an isolated disaffected minority that neo-Nazis can use as an excuse to get votes and enact regressive policies. And I don't see why housing people is going to impose sacrifices on the average European. Aren't we in a demand slump right now? Wouldn't employing idle people with new construction and new schools and new neighborhoods be a good thing? There is so much idle money just sitting around right now, didn't we figure out back in the 1930s that employing people to build things other people need is better than letting businesses sit on the largest pile of idle money in history? Surely that's better than letting the refugees be exterminated to please neo-Nazis.

America should be taking advantage of this opportunity to grab huge numbers of educated people and create jobs by providing new infrastructure just like we did every time Europe poo poo the bed and couldn't see past their own short-sighted racism, but unfortunately the President is black and our legislature is scared of him so we can't get anything done :(

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 20, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Who are your arguing with?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Volkerball posted:

Ahhh good I'm so happy for that man.:unsmith: That hateful Hungarian lady must be seething.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

He stole a job from a deserving European, so I'm sure that reporter is furious about it.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
So like, I realize that resources are finite in some sense and naturally the mechanisms for processing refugees can become overwhelmed if too many show up in one place simultaneously, and that theoretically, too many being settled in one country can temporarily tax the country's economy to a point where it becomes politically unviable to settle so many people there, so a discussion of concrete policies to pursue and perhaps accepting that we will have to adopt some unsavoury ones as viewed by pro-settlement and anti-settlement camps (of course, with the intention of ultimately settling as many refugees as economically possible and that, imo, "economically possible" is way, way more than the chickenshit pittance certain countries are contributing to the crisis at present) will have to be had.

However, I just don't understand how "instead of being outraged a lot, let's talk about what can actually be done" is in anyway served by nonsense like "scary Africans will outbreed us and blight Europe like a swarm of locusts by 2100" or "here is a picture of a rubbish bin with sandwhiches in it, ergo we cannot accept any refugees", or whatever Narciss meant with posting that facebook meme.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Hey, uhh, Cracked.com actually sent two guys to the Serbia-Hungaria border to talk with the refugees and made a non-terrible article out of it.

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-1916-we-met-syrias-war-refugees-7-awful-things-they-told-us.html

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

SaltyJesus posted:

Hey, uhh, Cracked.com actually sent two guys to the Serbia-Hungaria border to talk with the refugees and made a non-terrible article out of it.

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-1916-we-met-syrias-war-refugees-7-awful-things-they-told-us.html

Thanks that was a cool read.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

SaltyJesus posted:

A good one, though what's with all the cursing.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

There's a petition link at the bottom of that Cracked article, for any Americans who want to ask Obama to accept the Red Cross's request to take in at least 65,000 refugees, FYI

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
According to the Serbian government, in the past 5 months, the refugees committed a total of 3 crimes on Serbian territory.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

my dad posted:

According to the Serbian government, in the past 5 months, the refugees committed a total of 3 crimes on Serbian territory.

Those monsters!

Do you have a source? That's interesting data.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Committing a crime is probably the last thing of the minds of the people on the move right now.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

murphyslaw posted:

Do you have a source? That's interesting data.

Our Prime Minister said it on TV. So, take it with a grain of salt, but it doesn't sound implausible to me.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

my dad posted:

It's not like he has a vested interest in making them look as friendly as possible.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

It's not like he has a vested interest in making them look as friendly as possible.

Yes as a Prime Minister the first thing I'd think of is lying to my citizens to put them in danger of criminals. This could not backfire at all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Yes as a Prime Minister the first thing I'd think of is lying to my citizens to put them in danger of criminals. This could not backfire at all.

You live in the UK, you can't say that with a straight face.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well, the thought of Cameron lying to support bringing in foreign people is pretty far-fetched. Dude literally pretended Syrian refugees were half economic migrants.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Only because he hasn't figured out a way to make money/grind the poor some more by bringing migrants/refugees in.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Just a reminder what huge honking hypocrites Hungarians are being:
http://www.unhcr.org/4523cb392.html

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Lots of suspiciously long comments in suspiciously good English with very similar content

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

hackbunny posted:

Lots of suspiciously long comments in suspiciously good English with very similar content

Surely a part of the crypto-Islamic eurabia propaganda.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I forget what topic attracted instant critical comments no matter how obscure the website that talked about it

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Cracked has really active forums, and this is obviously a pretty significant thing compared to their typical user submitted articles, so it's not surprising there's a lot of discussion there.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

SaltyJesus posted:

Huh, that article is really good. Reminds me a bit of how VICE will put out some really good stuff on the Middle East despite the clickbaity nature of a lot of the rest of their articles.

It's good that stories about the refugee crisis has even made to places like Cracked, so that info like that article will reach people who normally wouldn't search out info like that on their own.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

hackbunny posted:

Educated middle-class affluent people from a former European colony have had an English education, how suspicious

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

VitalSigns posted:

Educated middle-class affluent people from a former European colony have had an English education, how suspicious

Come on, you know what he means. Spelling above third grade level is unusual on internet comments sections and I think he was simply referring to the Russian troll farms.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Al-Saqr posted:

Ahhh good I'm so happy for that man.:unsmith: That hateful Hungarian lady must be seething.

One could argue that with a Spanish youth unemployment rate of 50% that guy is really stealing a job for more deserving natives!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

That's not a good reason to send people showing up at your doorstep back to die in a war, and I doubt very much you apply this standard every time you consider helping someone. The reason there's a moral obligation to house refugees is because the alternative is directly banishing hundreds of thousands of people to die.

I can donate to the Red Cross without going :goonsay:"Well why should I donate to them and not others, now I'm logically compelled to give away all my money and sell my organs to raise more." Europe can house people who are showing up on their shores, they don't have to wait for a grand Century Plan to fix all ills of the world first, that's ludicrous.

I'm not even moralizing here, your standards are just totally illogical.
I don't apply that standard when I help people, but I'm not the one arguing that there is an unlimited moral duty to help others at your own expense. In this lovely analogy, you're the one saying that anyone who does not give their surplus income above subsistence (or as much of their income as you feel sufficient) to the Red Cross is a bad person, because that money could have been spent on saving lives instead. (Also, the moral duties of individuals do not apply to nation states and vice versa.) If you're not willing to take a stance on the limit of how much someone should be expected to sacrifice in order to help others, you don't actually have a coherent moral framework. If you think there is a limit, then you should be able to explain why limited resources should be used to help some people and not others. If you think it's unlimited, you should be prepared to discuss the ramifications of that.

If Europe is obligated to house and care for and grant citizenship to those who show up on their shores, why are they not obligated to do the same for those too sick or vulnerable to make the journey?

• Locked thread