Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Spend your dip points aaaaa :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vuohi
Nov 22, 2004
I don't have the newest DLC.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
I just scrapped my eight attempt at getting a Byzantium game off the ground because the Ottomans effortlessly demolished me, Hungary, Poland-Lithuania, Austria and Genoa at the same time, despite having half of their armies trapped in Anatolia :shepface:

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

vuohi posted:

I don't have the newest DLC.

Convert some cultures then

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

Mygna posted:

I just scrapped my eight attempt at getting a Byzantium game off the ground because the Ottomans effortlessly demolished me, Hungary, Poland-Lithuania, Austria and Genoa at the same time, despite having half of their armies trapped in Anatolia :shepface:

Europa Universalis IV: Buying all the DLC is just Common Sense

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

I successfully started and completed the Big Blue Blob achievement last night, making in in 1496, and played a bit longer afterward. I suppose I'm going to keep going for Better Than Napoleon, then see what else I can pick up as I conquer my way around. Any advice for me? I hadn't played for about 6 months and overall I'm not all that good so even general advice would be useful.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

fermun posted:

I successfully started and completed the Big Blue Blob achievement last night, making in in 1496, and played a bit longer afterward. I suppose I'm going to keep going for Better Than Napoleon, then see what else I can pick up as I conquer my way around. Any advice for me? I hadn't played for about 6 months and overall I'm not all that good so even general advice would be useful.

In my France run, I achieved BTN by keeping my dynasty on the Polish throne until the AI abolished the Sejm. From there it was a hop, skip, and a jump from enforcing a PU, integrating, and then conquering Vienna and Berlin from the more favorable Polish territory (rather than having to snake through the HRE):

Although honestly given the position you're in, you could just as easily conquer in a straight line through Muscovy --> Lithuania --> Poland to get to Berlin. Your only challenge might be getting through Bohemia or Hungary to get to Vienna.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
BBB really scares me. I know the most reliable way is go to through Scandinavia and core the cheap provinces there, but how do you get claims there in time? Also, do you waste your manpower fighting England for your cores? What idea group do you take? Just admin 2 so you can core faster, or quantity so you never run out of manpower, or something else?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah you're like 90% of the way there already. Just hang out for a bit, pick on Muscovy some more until you drill into them enough to get Moskva, and keep an eye out on what's happening in the HRE. If you can win a good war against the HRE emperor then a lot of the time you can go on a roll where you declare war on like 3-4 different HRE members in a row and pull in a weak and defeated emperor every time and swallow up a bunch of HRE land. You'll get coalitioned by most of the HRE, but if you knock Austria (assuming they're the emperor in your game) down you can just walk all over the HRE. If you can ally Poland/Lithuania before then so that they don't get pissed off by your AE then even better.

Basically it all just depends on how long you want to play for. If you want to be safe then just take your time and pick off targets of opportunity. If you want to end it quicker then play a little riskier and actively pick fights with the HRE and rest of Europe. Up to you.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
Hey all. EU4 question: I'm playing as the knights, I've decided that I'm gonna re-invigorate the crusading order by fleeing across the Atlantic to conquer the mesoamericans instead of getting my poo poo packed in by the Turks. Only problem is, even with the colonial ideas CB, I can't seem to force the mesoamericans to cede territories to me. That's bad, because I need to get the hell out of Rhodes as soon as possible, and I'd like to re-base into Mesoamerica to beat the other colonial powers there so I can establish a crusader state in mexico city. I got the exploration tech and ran boats to the coast of mexico until I found some natives, then started kicking rear end. I'm so far east in the Mediterranean that I'm not sure I can beat the colonial powers there if I do it any other way. Thoughts? All I really need is a way to get provinces from the mesoamericans and I'm golden.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

illrepute posted:

Hey all. EU4 question: I'm playing as the knights, I've decided that I'm gonna re-invigorate the crusading order by fleeing across the Atlantic to conquer the mesoamericans instead of getting my poo poo packed in by the Turks. Only problem is, even with the colonial ideas CB, I can't seem to force the mesoamericans to cede territories to me. That's bad, because I need to get the hell out of Rhodes as soon as possible, and I'd like to re-base into Mesoamerica to beat the other colonial powers there so I can establish a crusader state in mexico city. I got the exploration tech and ran boats to the coast of mexico until I found some natives, then started kicking rear end. I'm so far east in the Mediterranean that I'm not sure I can beat the colonial powers there if I do it any other way. Thoughts? All I really need is a way to get provinces from the mesoamericans and I'm golden.

Do you not have any colonies of your own already? You can't ask for provinces you are unable to core, so you won't be able to take any provinces in the New World until you have enough colonial range or build some colonies to extend it.

That's gonna be a really hard move to pull off unless you've already built up a little bit in the Med to afford a colony.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
You can only demand provinces you are actually able to core nowadays

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Pellisworth posted:

Do you not have any colonies of your own already? You can't ask for provinces you are unable to core, so you won't be able to take any provinces in the New World until you have enough colonial range or build some colonies to extend it.

That's gonna be a really hard move to pull off unless you've already built up a little bit in the Med to afford a colony.

Do I need to build colonies right next to them, or just anywhere on the New World?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

illrepute posted:

Do I need to build colonies right next to them, or just anywhere on the New World?

There is a colony map mode which will tell you your colonial range. You don't need provinces adjacent, you just need a stepping-stone from the Med to put you in range of the New World.

The Bahamas or any island in the Caribbean will do the trick. You may need to cheat to get the money to do this unless you've expanded from being an OPM.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Node posted:

BBB really scares me. I know the most reliable way is go to through Scandinavia and core the cheap provinces there, but how do you get claims there in time? Also, do you waste your manpower fighting England for your cores? What idea group do you take? Just admin 2 so you can core faster, or quantity so you never run out of manpower, or something else?

I set my national focus to admin on day 1, allied with Denmark and Castile to war England, Castile handled Portugal while England sent over 20,000 men to fight Norway, Denmark, and Sweden. I ended the war against England with full manpower, but Denmark and Norway were beat the hell up so I broke my alliance with Denmark then went to war with no CB. I conquered a huge chunk of Norwegian lands in a line all the way up to Kola, moved my capital to Bergenshus so that all my Scandinavian provinces had a land connection to my capital so that I could set them all to core right away, then allied Poland and started conquering Novgorod and Muscovy. Once I got my 100th province I moved my capital back to Paris.

I never really wound up able to do ideas because I kept having more to core and I could never make it on the times I tried to take admin 2 first. I maybe could have tried something with vassal-feeding but I'm not exactly sure where I'd do that. I also wound up with a king that had a skill of 1 in adm who reigned from the mid 1460s all the way to now, so I'm only at admin 4 in 1511, 9 in Dip and Mil but I basically need to get myself set up with a vassal to feed so that I can save admin points enough to start catching up in admin. I'm considering releasing Novgorod as a vassal to feed Russia to so I can save some admin costs.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

fermun posted:

I set my national focus to admin on day 1, allied with Denmark and Castile to war England, Castile handled Portugal while England sent over 20,000 men to fight Norway, Denmark, and Sweden. I ended the war against England with full manpower, but Denmark and Norway were beat the hell up so I broke my alliance with Denmark then went to war with no CB. I conquered a huge chunk of Norwegian lands in a line all the way up to Kola, moved my capital to Bergenshus so that all my Scandinavian provinces had a land connection to my capital so that I could set them all to core right away, then allied Poland and started conquering Novgorod and Muscovy. Once I got my 100th province I moved my capital back to Paris.

I never really wound up able to do ideas because I kept having more to core and I could never make it on the times I tried to take admin 2 first. I maybe could have tried something with vassal-feeding but I'm not exactly sure where I'd do that. I also wound up with a king that had a skill of 1 in adm who reigned from the mid 1460s all the way to now, so I'm only at admin 4 in 1511, 9 in Dip and Mil but I basically need to get myself set up with a vassal to feed so that I can save admin points enough to start catching up in admin. I'm considering releasing Novgorod as a vassal to feed Russia to so I can save some admin costs.

So it seems the biggest investment you have to make is the no CB war against Denmark, and eat the 200 admin and 75 diplo to bring things back to normal. I might try it. It seems like a really stressful achievement, but at least it is a short one.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

:catstare: Is this real life?

edit:

Oh my

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 20, 2015

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elendil004 posted:

:catstare: Is this real life?

yes.
A factory is a term for a trading post ran by a factor, so there are a bunch of X Factory places in the area.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
Hey Goons, does this excite you?

This is the current state of our big-rear end multiplayer game that we hold on Saturdays, and every single one of the involved countries is a player. I've been having an absolute blast (this is my first serious game). There's a lot of deep political intrigue, and if you ever wished you could play the Game of Thrones, this is the place to be. Even if you're uncomfortable stepping into a new nation into an established web of intrigue, make sure you check out the next game when it starts up (probably a month or two from now).

You can check out the thread here.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
How the heck do I get an heir? Royal Marriage? I have two but do they only for diplomacy after the Ruler who set it up dies?

I'm very used to CK2 and the hundreds of heirs it produces so I thought I'd ask.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

verbal enema posted:

How the heck do I get an heir? Royal Marriage? I have two but do they only for diplomacy after the Ruler who set it up dies?

I'm very used to CK2 and the hundreds of heirs it produces so I thought I'd ask.

Short Answer: Wait it's a random chance

There's all sorts of ways you can increase the "chance to get a new heir" modifier. You get ~10% more chance for every royal marriage. Some muslim religions give a huge bonus to new heirs, and so do some government types and national ideas/traditions.

If you absolutely have to get an heir asap (like if you have an impeding succession war) then just go over your limit to get more royal marriages, just keep in mind that they cost 1 dip point per slot you go over and cost 1 stability to break (unless you have full diplomatic idea group) Just keep in mind that you can't replace your current heir with a new heir unless your current heir dies.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
If you're worried because you'll be a junior member of a PU when your ruler dies, just go to war with someone and not accomplish the war goal. I'm pretty sure that while at war, the icon disappears and you can't become a subject nation. Wait until your ruler dies, then end the war. You'll have a new king with lovely legitimacy, but its better than the alternative.

Or break off all your royal marriages.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Node posted:

War is wonderfully done in CK2, since each war has a very specific goal, and the reward for that goal is just that. Of course, CK2 is an entirely different game.

The CK2 war system is... I like the CB system to some extent, but it's annoying to launch a war for a single province that involves roughly as much fighting as would be needed to take the entire realm. Which is the exact kind of disparity that people here were talking about...

Critically, the CK2 peace system is far far worse than EU4's (or was, last I played), since the AI will very rarely accept peace at less than 100% warscore. So many tedious sieges...

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
CK2 and EU4 have exactly the same problems with their war and peace systems. The difference is that in EU4 you can end up taking more poo poo than you wanted initially because the retarded AI decided to fight to the death over a single worthless province or whatever. In CK2 you expend the same vast expense and effort for your lovely war goal and thats it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Larry Parrish posted:

CK2 and EU4 have exactly the same problems with their war and peace systems. The difference is that in EU4 you can end up taking more poo poo than you wanted initially because the retarded AI decided to fight to the death over a single worthless province or whatever. In CK2 you expend the same vast expense and effort for your lovely war goal and thats it.

I will send tens of thousands of men to their deaths to capture the city of Asperg if that is what it takes.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So I burned myself out with Mount & Blade Warband. I really liked the appeal of working under a mother nation, getting big and powerful, then breaking away and going rogue. My complaint with the game was how little detail was put forward with running a nation and diplomacy, the latter seeming to be a coin flip.

Is this going to scratch that Warband itch? I see combat is far less involved, which is something I don't think I'll miss honestly. It looks like EU has a lot more in the way of nation building and such.

Thanks beautiful goons.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Avocados posted:

So I burned myself out with Mount & Blade Warband. I really liked the appeal of working under a mother nation, getting big and powerful, then breaking away and going rogue. My complaint with the game was how little detail was put forward with running a nation and diplomacy, the latter seeming to be a coin flip.

Is this going to scratch that Warband itch? I see combat is far less involved, which is something I don't think I'll miss honestly. It looks like EU has a lot more in the way of nation building and such.

Thanks beautiful goons.

Sounds like you should like it. Try playing Sweden to begin with - they're pretty strong and start under Denmark.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I'm trying to do the No trail of tears-achievement so I haven't been able to see what's going on in Europe, until after I westernized. But, we all know how it usually plays out so I am guessing there'll be no huge surprises...

:stare:

Star fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 20, 2015

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Star posted:

I'm trying to do the No trail of tears-achievement so I haven't been able to see what's going on in Europe, until after I westernized. But, we all now how it usually plays out so I am guessing there'll be no huge surprises...

:stare:

It, it's ... :perfect:

Destroyed ottomans, france in disarray, Novgorod stronk, tiny hungary, rampaging pope, Naples evacuating (and failing) in North Africa. It's a thing of beauty

double nine fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Sep 20, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Avocados posted:

Thanks beautiful goons.

You should get Crusader Kings 2.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Avocados posted:

Thanks beautiful goons.

Echoing Pitt here. CK2 is the game you want if you wanna deal with politics and intrigue and the bizarre patchwork of inane inheritance laws that made up the middle ages. EU4 is predominantly a game of imperialism, nationalism, and all the war those words imply.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Integrating a PU is the same as annex'ing a vassal right? ie. speed is determined by their size and your diplomatic rep?

I have Muscovy in a PU as Prussia in ~1620. Is it worth spending about 200 years to integrate them? I assume it would eat all my diplo points forever.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

MrBling posted:

Integrating a PU is the same as annex'ing a vassal right? ie. speed is determined by their size and your diplomatic rep?

I have Muscovy in a PU as Prussia in ~1620. Is it worth spending about 200 years to integrate them? I assume it would eat all my diplo points forever.

Where you are in the game, that "about 200 years" is at/just past where the game ends, so no. Not even a little bit.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

MrBling posted:

Not at all. Just leave them under the union, and they'll be your crazy attack dog forever. And if they don't hate you already, they're unlikely to become strong enough to hate you later.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

Avocados posted:

Thanks beautiful goons.

If you want diplomacy, check out EU4 multiplayer, there is a LOT of diplomacy. Sunday through Friday is when the real magic happens, Saturday is just the day we sit down and play the game.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

PittTheElder posted:

Not at all. Just leave them under the union, and they'll be your crazy attack dog forever. And if they don't hate you already, they're unlikely to become strong enough to hate you later.

They loved me right from the get go. I was already allied&married to them when the PU happened and they've been completely loyal the entire time.

They're at maybe 5% in liberty desire. My game in general has gone a bit weird, Poland never got their PU over Lithuania (probably because of me) and are now a 3 province, protestant elective monarchy. Lithuania have been carved up by the Livonian Order and my Muscovy and they went protestant at some point as well.

The Religious League war was me (Brandenburg/Prussia with Muscovy in PU), France and Saxony vs the entire rest of Europe (except Spain) and the Ottomans.

We won handily.

The reformation was a bit weird because me, Saxony and Great Britain were the only protestant countries left after I ate The Hansa. This meant that GB became emperor after the league war despite being on the Catholics side (they were allied to Austria) with me and Saxony being the only electors. Basically all countries in the HRE other than Austria ended up Reformed so I've been forcibly turning them protestant to have some more electors. Right now the IA gain is negative and only the first reform have been passed. It is ~1620.

I'm gearing up to basically form Germany, but I dunno which over achievements I could shoot for. I got the 7.0 land morale one.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Kalos posted:

Echoing Pitt here. CK2 is the game you want if you wanna deal with politics and intrigue and the bizarre patchwork of inane inheritance laws that made up the middle ages. EU4 is predominantly a game of imperialism, nationalism, and all the war those words imply.

Nah I like the nationalism and imperialism part. CK2 kinda turned me off with the weird family bloodlines and inbreeding game of thrones thing

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Having fun and moderate success with my latest Florence game, by 1480 I have annexed Lucca and Siena, grabbed Romagna and Urbino from the Pope, and togheter with Austria kicked venice's rear end, vassalized Ferrara and got Verona.

Next targets are Milan, and kicking the Pope out of Italy but they both made powerful allies.. I have Austria and savoy on my side but Austria is kinda pissed because I forgot to give them provinces in the peace deal of the previous war.

I have full diplo ideas and just started quantity. Where to go next?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

MrBling posted:

They loved me right from the get go. I was already allied&married to them when the PU happened and they've been completely loyal the entire time.

They're at maybe 5% in liberty desire. My game in general has gone a bit weird, Poland never got their PU over Lithuania (probably because of me) and are now a 3 province, protestant elective monarchy. Lithuania have been carved up by the Livonian Order and my Muscovy and they went protestant at some point as well.

The Religious League war was me (Brandenburg/Prussia with Muscovy in PU), France and Saxony vs the entire rest of Europe (except Spain) and the Ottomans.

We won handily.

The reformation was a bit weird because me, Saxony and Great Britain were the only protestant countries left after I ate The Hansa. This meant that GB became emperor after the league war despite being on the Catholics side (they were allied to Austria) with me and Saxony being the only electors. Basically all countries in the HRE other than Austria ended up Reformed so I've been forcibly turning them protestant to have some more electors. Right now the IA gain is negative and only the first reform have been passed. It is ~1620.

I'm gearing up to basically form Germany, but I dunno which over achievements I could shoot for. I got the 7.0 land morale one.

A Fine Goosestep, Traditional Player, Agressive Expander, and depending on how close you are to Italy/The English channel even All your Trade might be doable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

This is where I'm at currently. I have Diplomatic, Offensive, Defensive, Religious, Quality ideas currently.

It's honestly not really all that much fun. Denmark is my vassal, I'm integrating them currently. I'm friendly'ish with France but I'm pretty sure I could crush them easily.

My force limit is 110 and max manpower is 114k.

My main problem right now is trying to get some reforms passed. I actually managed to convert enough OPMs to get up to 7 electors. Still draining IA due to heretics though.

My army tradition looks like it will settle at 90 due to all the modifiers, so I guess I would have to get a bunch of ships protecting trade to my Naval tradition up.

Also, just to drive home how much Muscovy likes me. They're at 180 despite a -30 modifier for backwards monarch (my king is a 0/0/1). No chance of them rebelling.

• Locked thread